• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SyFriday: Should Stargate Take A Bow?

July 25 2008

http://syfyportal.com/news425250.html

excerpt:

One feature film, two television series, two straight-to-DVD movies (possibly a third) and a cartoon show … is this too much Stargate?
    While ratings received from the recent season premiere of “Stargate: Atlantis” may suggest otherwise, the television market is becoming over saturated with the Stargate brand. As MGM’s second biggest franchise (bested only by the legendary 007), it’s not hard to imagine why this may be the case. The franchise is a lucrative goldmine and holds the potential for more.

Then again, the same was probably being said about Star Trek about ten years ago as “Voyager” -- and later “Enterprise” -- took up the Roddenberry mantle, sending the franchise out with a whimper. Now, Trek find itself in the position of relying on J.J. Abrams to re-invent and resurrect the franchise. And if anyone is capable of doing it, Abrams is the very man.

Now Stargate finds itself heading in the same direction. Creatively, Stargate is in a state of decline and disrepair with “Stargate: Atlantis” -- which is essentially carrying the torch -- relying more and more heavily on recycled “SG-1” stories or dumbed-down adventures with Wraith hybrids and clones. And in its first two episodes, the fifth season of the series has done very little to prove otherwise.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

SyFy Portal always seem to have something bad to say about the Stargate franchise, it's always on its way out in their eyes. Could it be because Stargate is the only realistic challenger for Star Trek's scifi TV franchise crown? Hmmm...
    Last edited by jenks; 26 July 2008, 06:40 AM.

Comment

What? Everything in the Stargate franchise keeps getting better and better..

Comment

Stargate is currently one of two major American Sci Fi shows still running, and assuming a Season 6 pickup, following BSG's finale next spring, it'll be the lone standard barer. Doctor Who doesn't have a large or influential fan base over here in North America, meaning that Stargate is really the only major Sci Fi franchise still out there which has any pull. And I think that is making people who don't like Stargate, or have never liked Stargate, rather uncomfortable.

For me, it just reinforces Stargate's strength. Here's to season 7, and beyond

If you're wondering how time travel works, and other science facts
        Then repeat to yourself 'It's just a kickass show, I should really just relax'

Muh Arts-like Thingies

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
          SyFy Portal always seem to have something bad to say about the Stargate franchise, it's always on its way out in their eyes. Could it be because Stargate is the only realistic challenger for scifi TV franchise crown? Hmmm...
          SyFy Portal has a bad case of sour grapes.

They need some naquada enhanced Pepto Bismol I think.
          Last edited by morjana; 26 July 2008, 11:45 AM.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
          SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
          Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

The franchise isn't going anywhere, it looks like a third (and possibly a fourth?) SG-1 movie has a go, then we have Universe which MGM is eager to crack on with, at least another season of Atlantis including it's 100th episode, then we have Stargate Worlds, and there's also this 'Project Twilight' which Joe M keeps mentioning, which could be pretty important.

Yep, there's a lot of Stargate. But that is only because there is the demand for it. People obviously want to see it, otherwise MGM wouldn't be making it. I've read the articles that guy does about Stargate, compared to some of the other people over at SyFy Portal he doesn't seem to like it much. Maybe this is sour grapes because it is starting to grow and become a larger franchise?

Comment

Heh... This one is easily enough answered:

NO, Stargate should not take a bow. Give me a freakin' break.
              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

I really hate the SyFy portal editor.
                Last edited by Briangate78; 26 July 2008, 08:00 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                  SyFy Portal has a bad case of sour grapes.

They some naquada enhanced Pepto Bismol I think.
                  If it is not BSG then it is inferior.
                  sigpic

Comment

I realize some fans hate SyFyPortal (but it doesn't stop them from reading the site), but SyFy does have some points. SG *could* be better. Last night's episode, despite avoiding spoilers, was very predictable. They need some new writing staff, fresh blood, whatever, with new ideas.

I still like watching SGA, but I think if I had to pick the better written/executed show on Friday nights, that honor would fall to DOCTOR WHO, hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                      I realize some fans hate SyFyPortal (but it doesn't stop them from reading the site), but SyFy does have some points. SG *could* be better. Last night's episode, despite avoiding spoilers, was very predictable. They need some new writing staff, fresh blood, whatever, with new ideas.

I still like watching SGA, but I think if I had to pick the better written/executed show on Friday nights, that honor would fall to DOCTOR WHO, hands down.
                      I think next week's ep is going to be very interesting. It looks like a rollercoaster ride. I love alternate reality eps.
                      sigpic

Comment

Actually I think he's right a little bit. I'm not interested in "Atlantis" any more after they got rid of Dr. Weir, and Ba'al/Qetesh scenes are the only ones really worth watching in "Continuum", the rest is entirely boring and not interesting. Maybe with the exception of the scene with Landry. Some writers definitely should take a bow and MGM should hire the new writers with entirely FRESH minds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladyinred View Post
                          Actually I think he's right a little bit. I'm not interested in "Atlantis" any more after they got rid of Dr. Weir, and Ba'al/Qetesh scenes are the only ones really worth watching in "Continuum", the rest is entirely boring and not interesting. Maybe with the exception of the scene with Landry. Some writers definitely should take a bow and MGM should hire the new writers with entirely FRESH minds.
                          That's what SGU will be for, new writing teams.
                          sigpic

Comment

^^ Doubtful unless it's in production alongside Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                              That's what SGU will be for, new writing teams.
                              Will Vala or Qetesh be in this one? If not - I'm not interested at all, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X