Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unstable event horizion (Kawoosh) and the Iris.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unstable event horizion (Kawoosh) and the Iris.

Why is it that when the Iris is closed and the stargate activates, that the Unstable vortex doesn't just disintegrate the iris itself? I was well under the impression it would disintegrate any matter.
    So, unless the iris is made to withstand it, I can not comprehend the science!

Originally posted by Automission View Post
    Why is it that when the Iris is closed and the stargate activates, that the Unstable vortex doesn't just disintegrate the iris itself? I was well under the impression it would disintegrate any matter.
    So, unless the iris is made to withstand it, I can not comprehend the science!
    I realise you are fairly knew but this is a very well covered topic. Basically the iris is placed that close to the forming event horizon that it stops the kawoosh forming altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
      I realise you are fairly knew but this is a very well covered topic. Basically the iris is placed that close to the forming event horizon that it stops the kawoosh forming altogether.
      I posted this in another thread but it's applicable here, too:

I happen to agree about the kawoosh and the iris, especially when you consider that the iris is supposed to be so close to the event horizon that it prevents rematerialization, yet some rematerialization has to occur or there wouldn't be thuds when objects impact it (since they wouldn't be able to impact if they never rematerialized).
      What is the explanation for the fact that the kawoosh can't form, but objects can rematerialize and impact the iris with enough force to cause an audible thud?

Comment

I often thought that. It must be down to just plots alone.

Comment

Simple, the thud you hear is the stargates attempt to reintegrate matter, and its failure to do so.
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
            Simple, the thud you hear is the stargates attempt to reintegrate matter, and its failure to do so.
            Okay. What about this:

We…we think that thud we heard hitting the iris was a Sagan box. Its radioactive signature matches the one we gave the Tok'ra. They're coming here #
            The Sagan box couldn't hit the iris if he never reintegrated, which the iris is supposed to prevent from happening. How could there be a radioactive signature if the radioactive materials never reintegrated?

Comment

I think as the radioactive particles made it through, much like the beam weapons used by the goa'uld did. I.E sokars beam to heat up the iris, Anubis using the Ancient weapon to destroy the gate, etc.

Comment

it does allow matter to reintegrate: not fully. so atomic particles and small molecules could be fully reintegrated, but cant form complex structures

Comment

Working...
                X