Joe Flanigan interview on Chelsea Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Flanigan interview on Chelsea Lately

Did any of you see Joe Flanigan get interviewed last night (7/14/08) on E!'s Chelsea Lately? The interviewer wasn't much of a fan of SciFi, but I was candidly a bit disappointed that Flanigan didn't defend the genre or the fans more! At one point, Chelsea asked him how hard it was to pretend he was on a "space ship" (while showing the scene where Sheppard climbs up the exterior of Atlantis's main spire) and he responded by saying that he doesn't take it too seriously because, well, the alleged space ship is made out of plywood.

She then went on to ask him about the fans, and while he applauded our loyalty, he basically suggested we were nuts by saying that yeah, he thought a lot of us actually believed the "space ship" was real.

I'm not too familiar with this Chelsea woman, but she definitely had a biting sense of humor and I think Flanigan got caught up in it.. But, yeesh, not a great interview.

Originally posted by Outlander View Post
    Did any of you see Joe Flanigan get interviewed last night (7/14/08) on E!'s Chelsea Lately? The interviewer wasn't much of a fan of SciFi, but I was candidly a bit disappointed that Flanigan didn't defend the genre or the fans more! At one point, Chelsea asked him how hard it was to pretend he was on a "space ship" (while showing the scene where Sheppard climbs up the exterior of Atlantis's main spire) and he responded by saying that he doesn't take it too seriously because, well, the alleged space ship is made out of plywood.

She then went on to ask him about the fans, and while he applauded our loyalty, he basically suggested we were nuts by saying that yeah, he thought a lot of us actually believed the "space ship" was real.

I'm not too familiar with this Chelsea woman, but she definitely had a biting sense of humor and I think Flanigan got caught up in it.. But, yeesh, not a great interview.
    I think Joe decided to just go with the flow and get it over with, as I'm sure if said, "oh, no, fans are great people, etc." the host would have just gone on and on with examples. I'm only judging this from the 20 minutes I watched of her savaging celebrities in her 'news' roundup.

Meanwhile, videos of interview are up at

http://wraithfodder.livejournal.com/219667.html

Comment

Actually from what I've seen in a couple of interviews of Joe and frm what your telling me he is quite an <snip>. Maybe I haven't seen a good interview of him. I was really expecting more from an actor like him. Especially in the Gateworld video interview. He seemed kind of snobby. Compared to other interviews I've seen with the other Stargate actors he's either the snobbiest or just bad at interviews. Hopefully the ones I've watched are bad examples of him.
      Last edited by Skydiver; 15 July 2008, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Ive seen afew interviews with Joe Flanigan and he doesnt strike me as a overally nice person especially towards the fans. He could learn a thing or two from David Hewlett and Amanda Tapping who are both great with the fans.

Comment

In everything I've read and seen with Joe Flanigan he comes across as intelligent and charming. Not all celebrities are hams in real life. Some are more reserved. I hardly think that makes them bad people. In fact, I much prefer that personality to the loud and in-your-face types.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
            I think Joe decided to just go with the flow and get it over with, as I'm sure if said, "oh, no, fans are great people, etc." the host would have just gone on and on with examples. I'm only judging this from the 20 minutes I watched of her savaging celebrities in her 'news' roundup.
            I respect your viewpoint, but I feel it was a missed opportunity for Joe. I'm a die-hard SGA fan, so the interview won't change my opinion of the show and won't cause me to stop tuning in every week. The point of these interviews is to raise awareness and try to get new fans to watch. If I had never watched SGA before, I'm not sure that interview would inspire me to give it a shot.

I think I would have responded to Chelsea's remarks about scifi fans by saying "we are very appreciative of our fans, and most of the fans I meet are great and perfectly normal people. SGA has a great stories to tell, and we use humor to keep the show light hearted and realistic. It's actually very accessible to all kinds of TV viewers, so I'd encourage your viewers to tune in and check us out."

Comment

No comment because i didn't see it so i ain't going to say anything because i didn't see it so

I like Joe Flanigan but I think some people don't even like him from what i read in the posts ^^^^

Comment

"my little pony's adult clothing line"? WTF?

Comment

Please remember that 'respect the cast and crew' means that you can't call them names
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

LOL they will always deliver an audience, they watch our show, they buy our DVDs and um they also download apparently...in great numbers

thanks prion
                    sigpic
                    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Honestly, I just watched that video and I don't see anything to be upset about.

Part of being "normal", btw, is being able to laugh at yourself. The Stargate franchise has always been noted as not taking itself too seriously.

The comment about fans believing it's real was clearly a joke and delivered as such.

Comment

This was not a serious, O'Reilly type interview. However in general I think Chelsea's interviewing skills are lacking. I have tried to watch her show a few times before and have always turned it off after a minute or two. I would have turned it off last night too but wanted to see Joe. The first thing she says to him, ‘You don’t look like a guy who would be on a sci fi show, you’re very good looking.” What kind of question is that? How does one respond to that? (BTW I thought Joe’s answer was rather good)

Then she says “…acting like you’re on a spaceship is a little ridiculous.”
                        He then makes the statement it is a little ridiculous and that the ship is made out of plywood. It seemd to me they were joking around - it certainly was not a serious interview, a lot of it was tongue in cheek but still I found the questions annoying.

She made the statement that fans are crazy. Joe responded that the fans are passionate. He added that the fans are loyal and will watch the show and buy the DVD’s etc. She said, “I get the impression that those types of fans really believe you are in out of space.” He hedged a bit, laughed and said, “yeah they do…” but again, I got he feeling he was kind of joking and he started to say something else- continue on from that statement but she interrupted him and asks him about Brittany Spears moving into his neighborhood.

I couldn’t believe it she asked him about Brittany. It was totally out of left field. This really annoyed me. She spent more time quizzing him on this and his feelings about Brittney moving in that she did asking him about his career or the show. I wish she would have just let Joe talk.

While I can see the point that fans would want Joe to “defend them,” I don’t think it was needed. Joe never insulted fans and he did speak to and very appreciatively of fan loyalty. (My personal opinion of fandon: Fandom is what fandom is. A group of fans deeply so involved in the show that we often claim a degree of ownership and spend way too much time overanalyzing, complaining, praising and basically picking apart every word, every scene, every look, every hairdo, every set/CGI effect etc. Maybe we can be a little crazy at times.)

Could he have pushed the show more? He did get to mention the DVD’s and announce when the show was on. I wish it had been more but Chelsea never gave him the chance as she never asked about the show per say, just are the fans crazy and isn’t it ridiculous to act like you are on a spaceship and then about Brittiny.

Based on the inane questions Chelsa asked and how she interrupted him more than a few times I thought Joe handled the interview well. If he seemed put off (and I dont' think he seemed that way) I think it was likely due to the type of questions she asked. I have seen him at a convention and his demeanor, his interaction with fans and his answer to questions demonstrated nothing other than a actor who was glad to have a job that he enjoys and genuine respect and gratitude for the fans.
                        Last edited by EdenSG; 15 July 2008, 01:39 PM. Reason: edited words, spelling

Comment

I haven't seen it yet but it re-runs in about an hour, so I'll be sure to watch it. I watch Chelsea Lately quite often. I think she's funny. The thing to know if you don't watch her very often is, she makes fun of herself and the job she does so it's not to be taken seriously. I'm sure she tells her guests the same thing, kind of like when Steven Colbert interviews people. Filling them in so they know what to expect. Otherwise they'd be caught way off gaurd. Which would be pretty funny.

Comment

One can assume that Chelsea Handler, who is a comedian by trade, has an audience and that audience expects from her a certain type of interaction between her and her guests.

This isn't an interview so much as an interaction. This is late night TV.

Does anyone think that if he had gone on, say, Jimmy Kimmel that the jokes wouldn't be flying as well?

Conan has been goofing on Stargate fans for a while, e.g. that we don't care about anything going on in the world unless its put in a scifi perspective.

This was no different. Joe went with the flow. If he didn't, he would've looked like an idiot.

Comment

I saw the interview on Youtube, he didnt seem snobby to me, maybe a little uncomfortable, certainly not snobby.

Comment

Working...
                              X