Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hyperdrive

hey everybody,
    here is a question, do you have to be in the direction of where you want to go to use the hyperdrives.

for example (i will use 2d directions for this to make it easier)

if you wanted to go to atlantis which is 10000 light years away, in a west direction

can you start heading East, then activate hyperdrives and appear at atlantis

Atlantis West- Your ship -East

I wouldn't have thought so.

But if you want to get out of a battle just enter hyperspace for a few minutes then the enemy will think Atlantis is in a different direction and you won't have to line up for the exit and can leave ASAP.
    if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

if the question is: is maneuvering in hyperspace possible? yes. but like digging a tunnel: dont expect fancy u-turns on anyting smaller than around the edge of the milkyway.

Comment

Good question!

I'm drawing a blank

Go Green

Comment

Surely it's down to relativity right?

If you were facing the wrong way when you enter hyperspace, then even if you HAD to be facing in the right direction, you could drop out of hyperspace again when you were, say, out of danger, and then hop back in facing the right way?

Nevertheless it's still unlikely you can't manouver in hyperspace, because when Caldwell or Pendergast told the guy on navigation to change course, there was no indictation that they left hyperpace.

And remeber one more thing: IT'S NOT REAL, the people who invented hyperpace may not know...

Comment

its hypothetical

but dosn't hyperspace work like a wormhole, making a bend in space, so it dosn't matter which way it goes

Comment

Wikipedia: Generally speaking, the idea of hyperspace relies on the existence of a separate and adjacent dimension. When activated, the hyper drive shunts the starship into this other dimension, where it can cover vast distances in an amount of time greatly reduced from the time it would take in "normal" space. Once it reaches the point in hyperspace that corresponds to its destination in real space, it re-emerges.
              I thought that the ships created wormholes too but the highly reliable wikipedia (lol) suggests it's like an alternate plane of reality where travel time is less, apparently. In that case, if would make no difference which way you were facing, because you could turn around, no problem.

That help?

Comment

BUT you can't chage course becuase there are no markers in hyperspace that corespond to relspace.

Comment

yes because in critical mass caldwell told the helmsman to turn us around. and you actulaay see the ships turning b/f they enter hyperspace
                  STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by striker7770 View Post
                    its hypothetical

but dosn't hyperspace work like a wormhole, making a bend in space, so it dosn't matter which way it goes
                    No, hyperspace is a region of subspace parallel to our space-time in which the speed of light can be faster or slower depending on which it is. It has nothing to do with wormholes. A faster light barrier would mean that our ships can travel faster than the speed of light relative to our space-time.

Best Stargate quote:
                    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                    Green is your friend.

Comment

I seem to remember a saying in Star Trek "Faster than light, no left or right" which would indicate you can't turn.

Yes I know thats Star Trek and not Stargate but warp and hyperdrive may work along the same principles.
                      LIKES: Half-Life, Half-Life 2, ST: DS-9, ST: TNG, Eric Clapton, GTA 4, SGU, MW + MW2, Red Dead Redemption,
                      Scarlett Johansson, Father Ted, The Portal Series, The Assassin's Creed Series, Trailer Park Boys.

DISLIKES: Reality T.V Shows and so called reality t.v stars, people who don't wear seatbelts,
                      99.999% of new Music out now, 80% of new Movies out now.

Last Game Completed: Portal 2

Last Movie Watched For The First Time: Dumbo (1941)

Comment

IIRC Warp is just faster than the speed of light. Hyperspace is sort of another plane of reality.

I believe that you need to be facing the correct direction. Sort of the Hyperspace window you open is a 2d pathway (sort of)

Comment

I think it just creates a tunnel directed to the location your travelling to. So I doubt it does matter which direction your travelling to.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            if the question is: is maneuvering in hyperspace possible? yes. but like digging a tunnel: dont expect fancy u-turns on anyting smaller than around the edge of the milkyway.
                            That was addressed once in SGA ("No Man's Land"), but no one was sure so it was never tested. You have no proof of that.
                            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Maybe it is possible but the visual effect remains the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X