This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D

Saw this movie today right after Hellboy.

This movie was pretty much exactly what I thought it would be from watching the previews. It’s a nice fun family movie like you would expect to see on ABC Family channel or something.

Basically our favorite mummy hunting actor Brandon Frasier is playing a scientist whose Brother went missing years ago. He has to watch his nephew as his Sister in law gets ready to setup a new life in Canada (nice little plot device to get the nephew the passport he will need). Anyway an adventure ensues to the center of the earth mentioned in the book by that name. In fact they reference the book a lot. I haven’t read the book in many years so I don’t know if they are accurate references but it would be silly to make them if it was not so I will assume they are.

Anyway, all the characters are like-able and all carry their own weight. There is some silly things that happen but my suspension of disbelief was held better then say seeing a movie where someone survives a nuke in a fridge, so take that for what its worth. I kept expecting one more reveal that never occurred otherwise everything in the plot happened as I would have expected.

I must say I am not a fan of gimmicks. 3D has gotten a lot better over the years but honestly this movie would have been just as entertaining without the 3D. I wear glasses and the 3D glasses are really not designed for "my kind". I did get a sense that the picture was a little more "life like" but I never really got the 3D sense of the stuff jumping out at me (most of which you can see coming a mile away). Mostly the glasses just gave me the "silk screen effect" (SSE) like you will see on some of the lower end rear screen projection televisions. Still though the movie was good enough that I wasn’t distracted by this for very long.

All and All I liked the movie. I am more excited to see Mr Fasier in the next installment of the Mummy but in the meantime this was a decent little movie to get your Frasier fix if you need one.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

This is a movie I'll probably just wait and rent when it comes out. The Mummy 3 though, that will be a must-see for me.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I saw this yesterday. From the previews I would have just waited for it to be released to rent like fifith man, but I was dragged for my brother's birthday.

I never saw any of the old movies or read the book, not really my genre but it kept my interest the whole time and the 3D part was pretty good (eventhough I haven't seen anything 3D in a long time).

Comment

Working...
      X