This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AVP-R (Spoilers)

I always pretty much liked the Alien and Predator movies. And even the first AVP was pretty good. But AVP-R just didn't make the grade.

Spoiler:
    First of all ONE Predator was sent? Not possible.

~Dave

Spoiler:
    he wasn't sent, he saw the distress signal and went off on his own, to garner ALL the glory.

the first one was just a test of 'predatorhood' (for want of a better word) which is why there where loads of rubbish ones on board, that all died.
    sigpic
    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
    -Liberty Prime

Comment

there are no previous threads on this.

Comment

I wasn't against the idea of a crossover, since I could buy that both movie monsters existed in the same creative world. There was nothing in any of the movies that would prevent such a melding, so why not? The first movie was a fun monster flick. The second movie, was... no... it was far too dark, so I had to set my PC's monitor brightness to a rediculously high level to see the movie. There was far too much gore in this film. It reminded me of the unnecessary excessive gore in Alien Resurrection. I also found the pregnant women birthing multiple chestbursters to be gisgusting, without class, and downright disturbing. Further, the movie had no plot beyond, run from the aliens! In the first AVP, they were investigating a pyramid lost to history. It was detected when it's power source came to life to prepare the pyramid for it's Predator arrivals. Why couldn't the sequel have had some kind of plot beyond running from aliens?

It was an OK movie, and it was scary, but... it could have been so much better if they'd actually tried to make a decent movie. As it stands, it just seems like a lame excuse to give the audience a gorey R-rated monster flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
          It was an OK movie, and it was scary, but... it could have been so much better if they'd actually tried to make a decent movie. As it stands, it just seems like a lame excuse to give the audience a gorey R-rated monster flick.
          thats what its supposed to be. it was never gonna be 'shakespeare'

best idea: alien vs pred, no humans at all!
          won't happen cos most people need a human to sympathize/empathize with
          sigpic
          -Liberty Prime

Comment

It wasn't that gorey in my opinion, it was only given a 15 Rating here in the UK, so yeah...

My friend and I went to watch it; we laughed throughout; wasn't the best film but was alright.

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
              thats what its supposed to be. it was never gonna be 'shakespeare'
              That's what it was suppose to be? I was expecting something in the vein of earlier movies. Obviously, it was never going to be Shakespeare.

best idea: alien vs pred, no humans at all!
              won't happen cos most people need a human to sympathize/empathize with
              Best idea? How is that the best idea? How would you draw in an audience to such a movie? People want to see a movie about people. It would make for an interesting short as a special feature on an AVP DVD, though.

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
              It wasn't that gorey in my opinion
              Heads exploding, people being ripped apart, aliens bursting from the wombs of pregnant women, people being impaled in the head by alien jaws, skinless corpses, and much more... that's not gorey? How do you define gore?

My friend and I went to watch it; we laughed throughout; wasn't the best film but was alright.
              People dieing horrific deaths is funny?

Comment

That's what it was suppose to be? I was expecting something in the vein of earlier movies. Obviously, it was never going to be Shakespeare.
                there was only one other AvP movie(see next para)

Best idea? How is that the best idea? How would you draw in an audience to such a movie? People want to see a movie about people. It would make for an interesting short as a special feature on an AVP DVD, though.
                i said it wouldn't happen, and i'm not most people
                and the clues in the film name "ALIENS vs PREDATOR" not "aliens vs predator with some weak ass meat-sacks getting in the way!!"

Heads exploding, people being ripped apart, aliens bursting from the wombs of pregnant women, people being impaled in the head by alien jaws, skinless corpses, and much more... that's not gorey? How do you define gore?
                braindead lawnmower scene - youtube age restricted

when you can tell the difference between reality and tv, yes!!
                sigpic
                -Liberty Prime

Comment

Missed most of them due to the Lighting Issue But compared to some films now-a-days (most of which I wont watch, I can't stand the levels of gore), AVP-2 is pretty tame, especially as you can't really relate to the situation- Monster-Aliens attacking really isn't that realistic; the gore is pretty much overlooked.

Well, yeah. It _is_ only a film. I'm not going to watch some Documentary on Nazi Concentrations Camps and be in fits of laughter, but when it comes to Alien films, especially if you're seeing it with a friend who shares an odd sense of humour with you; then AVP-2 can be hilarious.

... Also, I just lost out on Godwin's Law.

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                    there was only one other AvP movie(see next para)
                    Actually, there are seven preceeding movies. Four Alien movies, two Predator movies, and the first AVP movie. The first AVP movie was in the vein of the Alien and Predator movies. The sequel was a lame slasher flick.

i said it wouldn't happen, and i'm not most people
                    and the clues in the film name "ALIENS vs PREDATOR" not "aliens vs predator with some weak ass meat-sacks getting in the way!!"
                    I understand what you're saying. I was just commenting on why I believe it won't happen. Remember, the Alien vs. Predator movies are aimed at the existing audience who've seen the Alien and/or Predator movies. Both sagas featured people dealing with an alien monster/hunter. The crossover movies were ment to be a melding of the story, not film soley about space monsters. I understand some people think this would be a great idea, but movies aren't made for minority audiences, they're made for the masses. If they did make a movie soley about Aliens and Predators with no people, it'd probably be a low-budget DVD release. If you really want to see such a movie happen, write a letter to the studio explaining the premise, why you want to see it, and how you feel it would make a profit for the studio. That's what I'd do if I wanted to see an unlikely sequel.

braindead lawnmower scene - youtube age restricted
                    That's beyond gorey. That's downright desensitizing. Seriously, that's some sick and twisted stuff there. Why would anyone want to see that in a movie?

when you can tell the difference between reality and tv, yes!!
                    I'm sorry, but death is never a laughing matter. I can understand laughing at an unrealistic death in a cartoon or comedy, but when it's a gorey death in a horror movie... I can't believe someone would laugh at that. That's screwed up. No offense intended.

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                    Missed most of them due to the Lighting Issue But compared to some films now-a-days (most of which I wont watch, I can't stand the levels of gore), AVP-2 is pretty tame, especially as you can't really relate to the situation- Monster-Aliens attacking really isn't that realistic; the gore is pretty much overlooked.
                    I had my brightness turned up, so I got to see everything, unfortunately. I don't watch modern horror movies, because they are utterly disgusting. I guess AVP2 decided to copy them instead of tell an engaging story like AVP1 did. Is that all people want to see in a horror movie, blood and guts? When I see a horror movie, I want a scary story. I don't want to be grossed out.

Well, yeah. It _is_ only a film.
                    Irelavent. I still find laughing at death, wether it be real or fictional, to be extremely disturbing. Exceptions being unrealistic deaths in comedies and cartoons.

I'm not going to watch some Documentary on Nazi Concentrations Camps and be in fits of laughter, but when it comes to Alien films, especially if you're seeing it with a friend who shares an odd sense of humour with you; then AVP-2 can be hilarious.
                    If I was watching AVP2 with a friend, and he started laughing... I'd be very creeped out.

Comment

Actually, there are seven preceeding movies. Four Alien movies, two Predator movies, and the first AVP movie. The first AVP movie was in the vein of the Alien and Predator movies. The sequel was a lame slasher flick.
                      no, AvP is a desperate attempt to throw two separate movie entities into one movie after the success of the previous separate franchises, they were never intended for the same universe. and it was dark horse comics that did it first anyway. with a very similar story to the first AvP movie, in the late 80's.
                      its a similar situ to the highlander series, popular movie, but the end.........conner wins the prize, end of story. but theres still money to be made so we'll have a lame story tacked on and let people call it an AU
                      I understand what you're saying. I was just commenting on why I believe it won't happen. Remember, the Alien vs. Predator movies are aimed at the existing audience who've seen the Alien and/or Predator movies. Both sagas featured people dealing with an alien monster/hunter. The crossover movies were ment to be a melding of the story, not film soley about space monsters. I understand some people think this would be a great idea, but movies aren't made for minority audiences, they're made for the masses. If they did make a movie soley about Aliens and Predators with no people, it'd probably be a low-budget DVD release. If you really want to see such a movie happen, write a letter to the studio explaining the premise, why you want to see it, and how you feel it would make a profit for the studio. That's what I'd do if I wanted to see an unlikely sequel.
                      i see your point, but plenty of people on here complain about the lack of 'new' story ideas in SGA, or just in general, i just gave one for AvP, and you can't say its overused and may actually make a better film, not relying on corny dialogue has its advantages.
                      That's beyond gorey. That's downright desensitizing. Seriously, that's some sick and twisted stuff there. Why would anyone want to see that in a movie?
                      gotta love Peter Jackson(yes, the LOTR dude) thats his early work, look up "bad taste" as well

I'm sorry, but death is never a laughing matter. I can understand laughing at an unrealistic death in a cartoon or comedy, but when it's a gorey death in a horror movie... I can't believe someone would laugh at that. That's screwed up. No offense intended.
                      non taken, i don't care what a faceless person thinks of me, no offense intended.

I had my brightness turned up, so I got to see everything, unfortunately. I don't watch modern horror movies, because they are utterly disgusting. I guess AVP2 decided to copy them instead of tell an engaging story like AVP1 did. Is that all people want to see in a horror movie, blood and guts? When I see a horror movie, I want a scary story. I don't want to be grossed out.
                      AvP is more action than horror, 'aliens' is not even close in genre terms to 'alien'. and AvP 1 wasn't that engaging, i read the story circa 10 years previously

Irelavent. I still find laughing at death, wether it be real or fictional, to be extremely disturbing. Exceptions being unrealistic deaths in comedies and cartoons.
                      i must be reading the wrong papers!!! how many 'acid for blood aliens decimate remote mountain town' headlines do you see for AvP:R to be realistic?!?!?!

If I was watching AVP2 with a friend, and he started laughing... I'd be very creeped out.
                      if we were talking 'schindler's list' i'd agree with you
                      sigpic
                      -Liberty Prime

Comment

True, I was expecting some plot to be in AVP-2, similar to the other Aliens films & AVP (I've not watched Preditor), but alas- it was, as you say, mostly a plotless slasher- which most horrors these days seem to be focused upon; which is a shame.

Laughing at Horrific Deaths is similar to cartoon deaths- both are unrealistic- What's the chance of being crushed by a piano, or having an Alien Parasite bore its way out of your chest? Both are highly unrealistic- which makes it funny. Heck, I laugh at most things; but I'm not going to scream at something which isn't mildly horrific- if something does scare me on tv, I will recoil and try and hide behind the nearest large object (more often than not my surrounding friends).

But more often than not, it's just some actor who's fake blood is spurting out- If I saw this in real life, I would be disgusted, but on TV- its all fake- I'm probably going to make a joke and laugh at there tragic death; if no one's going to take offense to it; then it can be joked and laughed about.

Comment

Also, the lone Predator seemed to be immune to the acid/blood of the Alien/Predator hybrid. He/It got plenty of Alien blood on him/it. But the acid was still very caustic to humans.

~Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ~Dave View Post
                            Also, the lone Predator seemed to be immune to the acid/blood of the Alien/Predator hybrid. He/It got plenty of Alien blood on him/it. But the acid was still very caustic to humans.

~Dave
                            Was an extremely poorly thought out and written film. The guys behind it should never be allowed near a successful franchise ever again. Seems like this one got Beavis and Butthead in control instead of the better talents in the vein of Scott, Cameron, McTiernan etc. The other movies had quality behind the scenes this one had crap.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ~Dave View Post

~Dave
                              he sampled the new alien blood in the ship, its what gave him the ability to see the new pheromone signature the new alien/pred hybrid had. and he had more tech than the previous preds, theres nothing to suggest he didn't have some kind of armour upgrade which changed its properties to suit the new threat. his was a true 'hunt', AvP 1 was a test of 'predator-hood'(or 'rite of passage' if you will) in semi controlled conditions.

am i the only one here to have watched all of AvP:R or AvP!?!?!?
                              sigpic
                              -Liberty Prime

Comment

Working...
                              X