• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avatar Press - Nov. 3 News Update

From an Avatar Press e-mail:

Avatar Press News November 3 - Brian Pulido, Stargate SG-1, and more

STARGATE SG-1 CONVENTION SEASON RECAP
    by James Anthony Kuhoric

The folks at Avatar Press are fresh off their convention tour for 2004 and I was happy to be a part of it this year. Conventions aren't new to me, I've been doing them as a professional for nearly a decade and most of my life as a fan, but this season I encountered something completely novel on the con trail.

I had a blast!

It happened during my convention appearance at the New York / New
    Jersey Stargate Convention sponsored by Creation Entertainment. The show was only the second sci-fi show I have attended as a guest, but as a rule all conventions are all pretty much the same (or so I thought). You go to a convention center or hotel and fight your way through a throng of people to get to the attractions or products you came to see. After that you are introduced to horrendously long lines and ridiculous signing fees. Then you are disappointed to meet the celebrities you came to see when you discover they are aloof or standoffish. Round out your experience by paying roughly three times the normal price for the burnt hot-dog and soda you scarf down before leaving to pay the $25 extortion fee to park.

Yeah...I was really looking forward to that again. But the Creation
    Entertainment Stargate Convention completely changed my opinion of how good a convention can be. From the start, I knew something was different not only with the convention itself, but with the fans attending the show. I was only in the convention center for five minutes before I was greeted by the first of hundreds of excited and happy fans. They all had good things to say about the comics and our stories. Everyone had suggestions and characters they wanted to see in the future and were genuinely interested in hearing stories about the comics. They spoke with one voice in saying "we want more Stargate SG-1 comics!" and believe me, we listened.

The convention itself was great, there was a good mix of available
    products from photos to apparel. Basically all things Stargate were there.

Everyone running the show was helpful and genuinely friendly to those
    of us attending as guests. It was extremely well organized and
    efficient all around. But that's not the best part. The best part is that all of the Stargate SG-1 actors were awesome! They were approachable and seemed to really enjoy interacting with the fans. I met Don Davis, Chris Judge, Tony Amendola, and Teryl Rothery (unfortunately I didn't get a chance to meet Michael Shanks) and each was a pure joy to interact with. They too liked the comics, although Don Davis told me twice that he didn't want us to make him "so fat" in the comics, and I get the feeling by his serious tone he was only half kidding. Let me tell you, Don Davis looks like he could go 10 rounds with the champ in real life. That guy is in shape. And Teryl...well, lets just say that even an old dog like me was tongue tied like a teenager when trying to talk with her. Teryl is pure class and one of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of talking with.

The actors were accessible to everyone. They talked and joked with
    fans while posing for pictures and signing autographs. Everyone had a chance to really get to know the cast in a friendly open atmosphere. The convention was simply the most fun I have had at a convention in a very long time.

I wanted to take a minute to thank all the fans who stopped by to talk with me and give your two cents on the Stargate comics we have been publishing. We listened to your requests and you'll be seeing many of the character requests you gave us appearing in future issues. This show really changed my opinion of the whole convention scene and I honestly can't wait to attend some of the 2005 Creation Stargate Conventions.

Oh, one last thing. Keep that fan feedback coming! We want to keep an open line of communication with you, the fans, so the Stargate SG-1 comics can be the best possible!

Sincerely,

James Anthony Kuhoric

See www.sg-1.us for the latest news on upcoming Stargate SG-1 comic
    books from Avatar Press.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Proof-Positive
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Proof-Positive

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter
Working...
X