Unending/Daniel & Vala=Why no children?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unending/Daniel & Vala=Why no children?

I just watched Unending again and a couple days later, I was watching over my nephews and I started to think...in all of those years, why didn't daniel and vala have any children? I can understand that they didn't want to raise a child on the ship, but that is some good birth control then; lol! Its just that in fifty years, you would think that they would have a child.

There was a scene were Vala was crying in Daniel's arms, possibly it was because either one of them was infertile and couldn't have children, or they both decided that it would be selfish of them to raise a child on a ship- where eventually it would be left on it's own, after they'd all aged and died, and have to die alone on a doomed ship.

Comment

RCC said Vala was crying because she miscarried, maybe that's why they decided no to have children, also maybe being a host altered Vala's ability to bear children...

Comment

Ascension makes you sterile. Trufax.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
          There was a scene were Vala was crying in Daniel's arms, possibly it was because either one of them was infertile and couldn't have children, or they both decided that it would be selfish of them to raise a child on a ship- where eventually it would be left on it's own, after they'd all aged and died, and have to die alone on a doomed ship.
          This was my first thought when I saw the question.

Of course, when I saw Vala crying in he ep, I was thinking that it was baby-related.

Comment

With the amount of radiation they've both probably been exposed to, their kids would probably have two heads or something anyway...

Comment

I agree with them not having children on board that ship. It would have been selfish to do so, not knowing if there was ever a way out of the situation they were in.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

i heard the miscarriage 'rumor', and there is also the practical problem with, like someone said, have a kid to let it die alone marooned on the ship once the rest of them die?

not to mention, let's say vala and sam both had kids, 5 people isn't enough for genetic variety so any kind of family wouldn't be genetically sustainable.

not to mention, sam had to know once she figured out how to get htem out of it by reversing time that any people brought into existence would have to die to save the rest...if daniel and vala had had a child, theyu'd have to kill that child to free all of them from being trapped
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

not to mention, sam had to know once she figured out how to get htem out of it by reversing time that any people brought into existence would have to die to save the rest...if daniel and vala had had a child, theyu'd have to kill that child to free all of them from being trapped
                  Couldn't any child of Daniel and Vala, or Teal'c and Sam have been the one to stay inside the time bubble thing though? If Teal'c was outside of time then could this 'child' have survived, or would they have ceased to be? See this is why I don't like time travel stories far too complicated for me!!
                  sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
                    Couldn't any child of Daniel and Vala, or Teal'c and Sam have been the one to stay inside the time bubble thing though? If Teal'c was outside of time then could this 'child' have survived, or would they have ceased to be? See this is why I don't like time travel stories far too complicated for me!!
                    Why would Sam listen to someone she doesn't know? It's only because she trusts Teal'c so much, that she went against her initial plan...

Comment

theoretically, i suppose a child could have been the person in the bubble. but then, like sally said, you'd have had a stranger telling sam & co what to do...and the only way to explain who they are is to relate what happened during that 50 years.

and, it wouldn't have been as 'tidy' as these writers like. They tend to put all their toys away at the end of an episode. Making a character out of nowhere, establishing who they are and then having them stay behind would have taken too much time out of the episode.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                        I agree with them not having children on board that ship. It would have been selfish to do so, not knowing if there was ever a way out of the situation they were in.
                        I always thought that too. And the fact that the entire time they were plotting their way back. Would not be a good way to raise a child always plotting your way back in time to before they ever came into the world.

Although, like it is mentioned the child could have stayed in the bubble and the rest go back in time. I thought that would be freaky though since the child would know who they are/were, yet they wouldn't know = hurt/pain.

Just my thoughts though.
                        Jack: "Teal'c, look scary and take lead."
                        Jack: (to a nurse with a needle) "Listen, really jam it in this time, okay!"
                        Sheppard: The clowns? Oh, yeah, the clowns... we fight them too. Entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagens. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in.

Comment

Working...
                        X