It's Towel Day again (25th May)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Towel Day again (25th May)

So... do you all know where your towels are?
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

I am such a Perv the first thing I thought of was Jamie Bamber and the infamous towel dropping scene on BSG

I am hopeless
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Part-time Hitchhiker nerd and Douglas Adams fan here.
      Would this celebration day mean that the reference is to the "Rule" that as long as you ( general you )have your towel with you ,people will lend you anything you need ?

If it isn't ,I'll get my coat ...!

( Might go rewatch that ep Tame is talking about .Or start a Lee/Towel thread.)
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

to quote from The Book:

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have. Partly it has great practical
        value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a bush, but very, very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

sigpic

Comment

Yep .

Today is the day Douglas' fans decided on to pay tribute.He died on May 11 2001,so the decision was to commemorate him each year 14 days after his passing.May 25 therefore is "Towel Day".

If anyone wants to know more ,I found this article on Wiki that elaborates further.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_Day

*Waves stripy towel*

Comment

pfui!
            We at h2g2 prefer not to use w*k*

sigpic

Comment

LOL ! I know that ,MC,but I was trying to be concise for once in guiding the curious and towel-less.

Comment

the curious and the towel-less have no business here...

Nothing to see here folks, move along please

sigpic

Comment

But ..but..don't we need converts ?

*Passes out leaflets to passers by *

Comment

I spent half my morning trying to find my non-currently using towel before giving up.....finally found it this afternoon- carrying it now!

Comment

Gads *slaps forehead* you meant THAT towel...I have mine..its jade green and yes I know where it is

and on an aside...I did go re-watch that episode
                      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Glad to see more towel-bearers..and I rewatched that ep too,Tame.

Same time ,next year everyone ?

Comment

except, apparently, it should be 11th May...
                          gah I wish they'd make up their minds

(and I'm the sort of hoopy frood who ALWAYS knows where my towel is )

sigpic

Comment

ROTFL ! They changed it ? Ah well.We were early for next Towel Day then.

"Bob Ad" would have been so proud of us !

Actually..if we were 14 days late ....14x3 =42

We solved the meaning of Life, the Universe ,and Everything with only subliminal assistance.

Comment

I'd green you but I'm out of green right now...

apparently it was only 25th May first time round... ever after it should be 11th May.

There you go... You know how the whole hitchhiker thing is anyway - changes with every retelling!

Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters all round!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X