This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Scale Model of Atlantis

Hello everyone, I am preparing for a friends 21th Birthday, and I am looking for a scale model of the city of Atlantis for my friend.

Does anyone know where I can get something along those veins?

Nowhere. I don't think anyone's really attempted it.

Sorry.

Comment

If you find one, please let us know: plenty of us would love a model Atlantis!

There's a thread in the "Merchandise" section about someone who's selling models of the Daedalus; maybe they'll create an Atlantis next.
      Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

What scale? Not that I know, but if you mean 1:1, you're pretty much screwed. XD;

Comment

1:1 nah.... 1:100 maybe.

I am looking at something like 15 cm, so it is probably 1:250,000 or more maybe?

This is what I am doing now, I am looking for a 3Dmodel in say Maya or Blender, and find a 3D printer. Since I have done miniature painting before, I would dare try and paint it.
          Last edited by Deckker; 18 May 2008, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deckker View Post
            1:1 nah.... 1:100 maybe.

I am looking at something like 15 cm, so it is probably 1:250,000 or more maybe?

This is what I am doing now, I am looking for a 3Dmodel in say Maya or Blender, and find a 3D printer. Since I have done miniature painting before, I would dare try and paint it.
            You can get fan made 3d models from other sites. I am sure that if you ask the people who made them, they will be very pleased to see a 3d printer make a model (in fact, they might just ask you to make one for them!) And if you are successful, please tell us! We would all like to see the final result.

Websites with Fan based Atlantis 3d models:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3...-atlantis.html

http://www.thescifiworld.net/wallpap...kostoedter.htm

http://www.thescifiworld.net/wallpap...ate_diston.htm
            sigpic

Comment

Hi guys.
              I don't want to thread-jack, but i am the guy who made the Daedalus and Prometheus in the other thread(Pics of some of my work below in a spoiler box).
              I have a full set of orthos of the BEST fan made mesh out there. But i won't be able to get the master build for AT LEAST 10 months. I have too much else on the plate right now.
              If i start it earlier, i will post again.
              Bar.

Spoiler:

e-mail(And msn messenger): [email protected]

Gravity can bind my feet, but it can never bind my imagination...

Comment

Damn Bar I didn't know you had a smaller 304 model in the pipe.

Comment

That was a hell of a Threadjacking.....

Oh well off to find access to a 3D printer. Looks like the model will have to be much bigger than I planned, some parts would be too small.

Comment

Originally posted by Deckker View Post
                    That was a hell of a Threadjacking.....

Oh well off to find access to a 3D printer. Looks like the model will have to be much bigger than I planned, some parts would be too small.
                    Dude, i don't want to burst your bubble at all...
                    Unless you know someone who OWNS a 3d printer(I have a friend who owns a "budget" 3d printer, and not only did it cost him $37,000, the surface texture of the resultant printed items is like a sugar cube. It still needs weeks of filling/sanding work to turn into a proper model), it will be VERY expensive to get Atlantis done that way...
                    I have been looking at getting some items RP'd, and every company i have approached has quoted me $1900 per printed lb of material. Even if Atlantis only took 1/2 a lb of material, it's a hell of a lot of money...
                    I have the studio mesh of the F-302 and Daedalus, and have been considering getting them printed out, but it's cheaper and easier to build them by hand...
                    As i say, i don't want to rain on your parade, but you should know the facts.
                    e-mail(And msn messenger): [email protected]

Gravity can bind my feet, but it can never bind my imagination...

Comment

Thanks Bar, but I am already aware of it. It would not stop me from trying to find a cheaper solution.

Comment

Looks like there is a new 3D printing company that can be used by anyone:

http://www.shapeways.com/login
                        sigpic

Comment

there is a guy on ebay who makes a lot of custom stuff, just type "custom stargate" in the search box and I'm sure you'll see a lot of stuff, maybe you could ask him, I've seen him make Stargates and dhd's that light up, and all kinds of custom figures and stuff

Comment

Working...
                          X