Millennium - is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Millennium - is it worth it?

I remember catching the odd X-Files episode when I was younger and really enjoying it, so over the holidays when it was on for cheap I went ahead and bought the whole series. I've just finished up season 6, and realize now that in S7 there's an episode to resolve the Millennium plot.

Seeing how I like XF so much and I generally like Lance Hendrikson as well I was thinking about picking them up; but I was wondering if anyone who's seen both thinks the series is worth watching. My local libraries don't carry it, but the seasons are only $20 apiece. So ultimately it'd only cost $60 plus tax to catch it all, but if it's not worth it I'd rather not.

Help me out Gateworld-er-ite-eans

Also: Is Harsh Realm any good/does it have any bearing on an X Files I haven't got to yet?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I think it is, although I didn't really enjoy much of the second season when the new showrunners' started throwing in the conspiracy theory and messed up the whole point of the Millennium Group, but they pulled it back in the third season.

Re: Harsh Realm.
    No and no.

Comment

Cheers, good to know!

Anyone else?
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I really like the show, especially Season one. Some episodes are really creepy, especially since most take place near where I live.

And Lance Hendrikson is great in the show. Ever since I saw the show, I'll watch lame sci-fi originals if he's in it and only because he's in it.
        sigpic

Comment

Millenium is so worth it!!!!!!!

I can't tell you just how much I love this show. Sometimes I think I like it better than the X-Files. It is very heavy though...very dark, very bleak(there are a few lighter moments and episodes but not many)

Frank Black is a wonderful character and Lance Henrikson is just incredible as Frank.

Millenium is really wonderfully shot and is really beautiful to look at. The music is incredible too.

Season One is great. It sets up Frank's character, his gift,his family and his situation re work. The Millenium group is introdced(Frank's liason to the group is Peter Watts...played by the super Terry O'Quinn). Peter is trying to recruit Frank. Anyway there are a lot of murder of the week stories.

Some fans were disappointed with the more mythology heavy, end of the world coming, religious, mystical bent of Season 2. Personally, I loved it. Apparently, they weren't sure about being picked up for a third season, so season 2 ended a certain way.

Then Season 3 came along(Morgan and Wong were no longer in charge) and a big reset button was pushed for some things. The third season is my least favorite, but I still love it.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just so enthusiastic about this show. It really made an impression on me. I still think about episodes and rewatch them often. So, if you like beatifully written, moving and intelligent television, Millenium is for you. If you're not keen on the very depressing and bleak, then maybe you should pass.

Here's a great Millenium site that I'm a member of.

http://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/

Comment

I really enjoyed this show. I was quite addicted to it for some time.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Hmmm....four glowing reviews on here from the XF-verse fan crew (and fellow scifi TV nerds ) and a "buy it" followed shortly by "can I borrow it?" from a friend in real life. This bodes well, I think I might invest in it. Especially since it'll be only $60+tax, and I've got a $50 Future Shop GC in the mail (rock on Visa rewards points)

Comment

Originally posted by MmmmMcKAy View Post
                Millenium is so worth it!!!!!!!

I can't tell you just how much I love this show. Sometimes I think I like it better than the X-Files. It is very heavy though...very dark, very bleak(there are a few lighter moments and episodes but not many)

Frank Black is a wonderful character and Lance Henrikson is just incredible as Frank.

Millenium is really wonderfully shot and is really beautiful to look at. The music is incredible too.

Season One is great. It sets up Frank's character, his gift,his family and his situation re work. The Millenium group is introdced(Frank's liason to the group is Peter Watts...played by the super Terry O'Quinn). Peter is trying to recruit Frank. Anyway there are a lot of murder of the week stories.

Some fans were disappointed with the more mythology heavy, end of the world coming, religious, mystical bent of Season 2. Personally, I loved it. Apparently, they weren't sure about being picked up for a third season, so season 2 ended a certain way.

Then Season 3 came along(Morgan and Wong were no longer in charge) and a big reset button was pushed for some things. The third season is my least favorite, but I still love it.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just so enthusiastic about this show. It really made an impression on me. I still think about episodes and rewatch them often. So, if you like beatifully written, moving and intelligent television, Millenium is for you. If you're not keen on the very depressing and bleak, then maybe you should pass.

Here's a great Millenium site that I'm a member of.

http://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/
                Ahhh! Your review sounds glowing MmmmMckay, and I already know that you have excellent taste.

But must not be temped by another show.

Comment

Be tempted, Trek_Girl, be tempted.

I watched Millenium when it aired and bought the dvd sets as soon as they were available(too bad my new dvd player doesn't like the Millenium discs very much!!!).

It really is a quality show. Lance as Frank just breaks my heart so many times. I literally ache for the character.

Comment

sounds good, i might get the millenium box to go with my x-files series set, and the lone gunmen (don't forget to watch that )
                    Spoiler:
                    Disclaimer:
                    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                    Quotes!
                    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                    sigpic

Comment

I really loved the show! I'd say it's totally worth it
                      sigpic

Comment

Be tempted, Trek_Girl, be tempted.

I watched Millenium when it aired and bought the dvd sets as soon as they were available(too bad my new dvd player doesn't like the Millenium discs very much!!!).

It really is a quality show. Lance as Frank just breaks my heart so many times. I literally ache for the character.
                        Really can't. But it's going on a list of things to see in the future. Far future, not next week-like future.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                          Really can't. But it's going on a list of things to see in the future. Far future, not next week-like future.
                          Well, all right. The far future's good. I know how you feel. I've got tons of shows to watch...too many for my own good probably.

Comment

Well, all right. The far future's good. I know how you feel. I've got tons of shows to watch...too many for my own good probably.
                            I'm waiting for Twin Peaks from the library right now, and really that's all I've got time for. Maybe I'll drop a suggestion that they buy Millennium though, they tend to listen to my suggestions more often than not.

Comment

Ooooh, Twin Peaks!!!!!...another member of my tv on dvd boxset collection. I love David Lynch and adore Twin Peaks. Enjoy!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X