This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

roswell?

has anyone seen this show? Is it worth watching? are their any fan sites?
    thx

Wonderful show, for a teen superpower show. I enjoyed it greatly and have the dvds. I'd say it's worth it. They're a few fan sites out there, nothing like Gateworld, of course. Google it and you'll find em.
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I watched about a season and a half of it and really liked it, but that was years ago and I was a teenager at the time so that may have coloured the experience somewhat. Can't remember exactly why I stopped watching it, but I don't recall any particular disdain or dislike for it.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I absolutely could not like it. I watched the thing hoping it would get better and.....it didn't (it got worse, especially in season three). Saying that as a huge fan of the work of Ron Moore, this one's worth missing.

The pilot started with some promise (the pilot was interesting anyway), it had some pretty quirky ideas to it (I loved the restaurant and the goofy alien stuff), and if they had stuck to that and not delved into the pure soap opera and tissue paper thin plots it became, it could have been pretty good. But it took itself too seriously (even in moments where it's supposed to be funny) in its extremely juvenile teenage angsty "drama". And the end of the series was an absolute eye roller.

Pretty much what you'd expect from a WB supernatural (or not) drama not made by someone with the last name "Whedon".

The opening credits were really pretty though.

Don't waste your money, try to borrow the first season if you want to watch it before you decide to invest in it. But even then, if you like the first two seasons, I wouldn't buy season three without seeing it first.
        Last edited by Trek_Girl42; 30 April 2008, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          I watched about a season and a half of it and really liked it, but that was years ago and I was a teenager at the time so that may have coloured the experience somewhat. Can't remember exactly why I stopped watching it, but I don't recall any particular disdain or dislike for it.
          Well, sounds like you stopped before the absolute awfulness of the baby plot (and Emilie de Ravin's character *shudders*) and the wedding plot.....and ugh.

Comment

I think I watched the first 2 seasons of this show. I enjoyed it for the most part. I don't quite remember why I stopped watching it really.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
              I think I watched the first 2 seasons of this show. I enjoyed it for the most part. I don't quite remember why I stopped watching it really.
              Seems a common theme.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                Well, sounds like you stopped before the absolute awfulness of the baby plot (and Emilie de Ravin's character *shudders*) and the wedding plot.....and ugh.
                No clue what you're talking about, so yeah clearly I didn't get to the end

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                Seems a common theme.

This thread had initially made me want to rewatch the whole series, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should just stick to the positive nostalgia.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

My library has the whole series. So last year I took them out to view. I also don't remember watching all the way through when it first aired! It is very teen angst.
                  Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                    My library has the whole series. So last year I took them out to view. I also don't remember watching all the way through when it first aired! It is very teen angst.
                    The show was based on some good ideas in the first season- but the absolute angst of it all (and the fact that it was the center of things) just ruined it. And yeah. Whoever thought up the plots for that last season.....I really don't want to know who it was.

If you want to know the end.....
                    Spoiler:
                    The government folks or whoever (I can't remember) catch up with them at their high school graduation (After Tess () returns with the baby- and then I think she died.....or something), so the kids all make their grand escape. They run off and live out of a hippie bus and Liz and Max get married at eighteen and that's the very end.....

And there was this whole above alluded to alien baby plot where Max got Tess pregnant, well, Tess "tricked" him into it, and it was followed by a lot of scheming and conniving and I don't exactly remember what happened.

Also, Isabel got married at eighteen to a guy who must have been ten years older than her and who was an absolute idiot (and terrible actor) for going through with it, since she lied about pretty much her entire existence to him because for some reason she wanted to get married.....That is the apparent goal of all the girls on this show. Which also bothers me, but that's a whole other can of worms. Considering that Isabel was a "smart" girl (who finished high school early if I recall) at eighteen she gave up any career or ambition to become a stay-at-home wife obsessed with having perfect Christmases and keeping her alien secret?

Comment

Trek_Girl42, you've just brought up many of my pet peeves with the show. Izzy's season 3 fate being the biggest of them. At least now she has another Izzy to play, one that doesn't get entirely shafted. Not that I would watch trashy shows like Grey's Anatomy, noo...

Roswell is like the prototype of Smallville. Except by the time Smallville came around, they'd fixed some of the idiotic faults (though some remained...).

All that aside... I really liked the first two seasons. Apart from the Tess thing (ugh never have I been more repulsed by one from my own country), it was interesting and I'm a sucker for ship-UST.

I liked how the Sheriff went from enemy to father-figure for the alien trio. ^_^

Comment

I am looking for a show to watch with my teenage daughter. both buffy and charmed turned into a sex show in the later seasons. I hoping this show doesn't do that. thier has to be some other ones besides sga and sg1 that you can watch with your teen kid. even the half hou funny shows have to be turned off nine times out of ten.

Comment

Originally posted by Theimmortaljedi View Post
                          I am looking for a show to watch with my teenage daughter. both buffy and charmed turned into a sex show in the later seasons. I hoping this show doesn't do that. thier has to be some other ones besides sga and sg1 that you can watch with your teen kid. even the half hou funny shows have to be turned off nine times out of ten.
                          by teenage, how old do you mean?
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                          Quotes!
                          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HyperCaz View Post
                            Trek_Girl42, you've just brought up many of my pet peeves with the show. Izzy's season 3 fate being the biggest of them. At least now she has another Izzy to play, one that doesn't get entirely shafted. Not that I would watch trashy shows like Grey's Anatomy, noo...

Roswell is like the prototype of Smallville. Except by the time Smallville came around, they'd fixed some of the idiotic faults (though some remained...).

All that aside... I really liked the first two seasons. Apart from the Tess thing (ugh never have I been more repulsed by one from my own country), it was interesting and I'm a sucker for ship-UST.

I liked how the Sheriff went from enemy to father-figure for the alien trio. ^_^
                            LOL.....fixed teh faults with Smallville? Eh.....not really. Lana Lang passing out and needing to be rescued every second episode? That girl had so much amnesia you'd have thought that she wouldn't remember her own name.....though that might explain her intelligence level she showed.....But Clark has to be the hero to carry the poor helpless woman away from danger every week! I only saw six or seven episodes before I gave up in disgust. Yeah, that is one of many things that are very wrong with that show.
                            Originally posted by Theimmortaljedi View Post
                            Even if you don't want your daughter to see the more adult aspects of Buffy, it's probably the best one to watch with her (even if just the early seasons). There is still no better show that deals with teen and early adulthood issues (especially for girls) out there, and it never does it in a patronizing or eye rolling way. It's smart, funny, sad, and just plain fun with some of the best female (and male) characters ever to appear on screen. The writers knew how to write flawed but strong young women characters. Which is something that cannot be said for the Stargate franchise, unfortunately.

I'd be wary of Roswell- the way some of the female characters were written was pretty worrying. Same with Smallville- which I wasn't going to bring up, but since Hypercaz mentioned it and I can't hear the name of that show without going into a rant.....

Has your daughter seen Doctor Who? That is a very well-written smart show for all ages.

Comment

Hold up there. If this fella thought Buffy/Charmed were "sex shows" he'd probably shat a brick at the first five minutes of Jack's appearance onscreen. And I'm not talking about Torchwood either.

Comment

Working...
                              X