No announcement yet.

Jonas Quinn/Corin Nemec Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Jonas he was 1 of my fav characters...

why do I always like characters who arnt on shows for very long ;_;

Comment

I really liked Jonas.

Like so many others I feel it was a real shame that he got written out of stargate like that, there was room for both him and Daniel.

Wish they would bring him back or move him to Atlantis.

Comment

It is a shame they didn't keep Jonas and Daniel, not only because Jonas was the only SG-1 member with character development potential left, but also he was developing some quality snark which would have been great in the O'Neill-less situations.

Fallen:
        QUINN: "Well, can't you do some kind of a...keyword search?"
        JACKSON: "Yeah? For what? "Achilles"?"
        QUINN: "Well, that's good. I'm glad to see that your...your memory's finally coming back. Not to mention your razor-sharp wit, but why don't we try something like, uh...uh, "power core venting"?"

And he's only known Daniel for a few weeks, it took him a nearly year and a half to snark Jack.
        Personally I could always see them not getting along after a longer period of working together, since there would be an up personality and a down one pulling in opposite directions.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
          It is a shame they didn't keep Jonas and Daniel, not only because Jonas was the only SG-1 member with character development potential left, but also he was developing some quality snark which would have been great in the O'Neill-less situations.

Fallen:
          QUINN: "Well, can't you do some kind of a...keyword search?"
          JACKSON: "Yeah? For what? "Achilles"?"
          QUINN: "Well, that's good. I'm glad to see that your...your memory's finally coming back. Not to mention your razor-sharp wit, but why don't we try something like, uh...uh, "power core venting"?"

And he's only known Daniel for a few weeks, it took him a nearly year and a half to snark Jack.
          Personally I could always see them not getting along after a longer period of working together, since there would be an up personality and a down one pulling in opposite directions.
          Yup totally agree with all of that especially about him having potential for character development

Comment

We've already had an example of these different personalities in Homecoming :

JONAS : "Rings ?"
            DANIEL : "What good that's gonna do ? There's nowhere to ring to."
            JONAS : "We found a ring platform when we first uncovered the Stargate."
            DANIEL :"Which means it hasn't been used in over 2000 years."
            JONAS :"Well, let's see if it still works."
            Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

I was thinking what would happen if there was a moral issue at stake. Would they really both come to the same conclusion?

Comment

I think all of his time on SG-1 has somewhat... loosened Daniel's morals. He's a bit more ruthless than he has been in previous seasons whereas I think Jonas is still very much altruistic. Daniel will do whatever it takes to get what he wants, but Jonas, I think, would consider the wider aspects.

Maybe it's just the cold medicine speaking, but that's what I think.

Comment

Like Shadow said, Daniel will do whatever it takes to get what he wants. Jonas, I think, will do whatever it takes to ensure the safety of the team. Just look at Prophecy and you'll understand what I mean. Jack's rule of " no one gets left behind" is one he understands very well.

I've always considered Jonas to be more Sam-like and Jack-like. He's a scientist and he understands the necessity of weapons while exploring the galaxy.

Daniel's morals seem to always kick up in the middle of a battlefield and that's never good for the team's good health. I think Jonas can put his morals in the background for the team's sake and deal with it after.

And as far as morals go, how do we know that what is right and wrong for us is also right and wrong for other people ? Different cultures, different morals.

Comment

Daniel's morals seemed to have loosened post-accension, in fact his whole character seems to have taken a wander post-accension. It's probably just me, but it does appear that he doesn't really care about much any more, no real excitement about other cultures, only caring about getting what he wants.

Lys:
                    That's exactly how I see Jonas. A very team-first type of person, something which if you think about it was there from the start. Much as people (and he himself) dislike what he did in Meridian, he put his team first in what was essentially a battle/war situation.

Comment

Finally got to see Corin in Mansquito on Scifi last night. I really liked his character and he looked great. He wasn't so bulky and his hair was longer which really looks good on him. This is the kind of character someone should create a series for Corin around. He was very likable and very interesting to watch.

Marla
                      ______
                      Visit my Entertainment News blog at http://blogs.delphiforums.com/mrreedwriter

Join in the discussion at MichaelShanksArchive

Comment

Oh, and Jack's rule of "no-one gets left behind" took a serious wander during Descent. How would you feel when you find out later that Jacob told them you were still on the ship?
                        Year long feeling of self-doubt, where would that come from?

Still looking forward to seeeing Mansquito, got quite good ratings for the Sci Fi channel didn't it?

Comment

Lys:
                          That's exactly how I see Jonas. A very team-first type of person, something which if you think about it was there from the start. Much as people (and he himself) dislike what he did in Meridian, he put his team first in what was essentially a battle/war situation.
                          I've never thought of this aspect of Jonas' behaviour in Meridian, but it makes sense. Essentially, I thought he had a very hard choice to make. Think about it, going to a place you know nothing about, where the people lost one of their valuable men because of your people. I wouldn't like to have such a choice to make.

Comment

Weird thought just occurred to me since we're talking about his character in Meridian. Normally a character will come onboard and grow throughout the season, is Jonas the only character who seems to go emotionally backwards?

What I mean is, if you look at how he is in Meridian and Redemption here is someone who is quite mentally strong - you have to be to make that choice - quite sure of himself and his abilities, even though he is aware he needs to prove himself. How come by Prophesy he seems to be filled with self-doubt, of not being sure of his place and what he brings to the team?

Strange writing, or did he have a really bad year at the SGC? No wonder he agreed to go back to Kelowna.
                            Given his character, that choice in itself is another matter.

Comment

Weird thought just occurred to me since we're talking about his character in Meridian. Normally a character will come onboard and grow throughout the season, is Jonas the only character who seems to go emotionally backwards?

What I mean is, if you look at how he is in Meridian and Redemption here is someone who is quite mentally strong - you have to be to make that choice - quite sure of himself and his abilities, even though he is aware he needs to prove himself. How come by Prophesy he seems to be filled with self-doubt, of not being sure of his place and what he brings to the team?

Strange writing, or did he have a really bad year at the SGC? No wonder he agreed to go back to Kelowna.
                              Given his character, that choice in itself is another matter.
                              In Meridian he was sure of himself, but did he ever meet before a man who doubted his abilities ? Everyone on Kelowna said he was brilliant : Dr Kieran, High Minister Valis. I think Jonas didn't know before coming to Earth what a real challenge was.
                              Then, he comes to the SGC, and there's this man, Jack O'Neill who shows him that whatever he's going to do he's no way as good as Daniel. And this goes until Prophecy. Add to that that his universe was reducted to his planet before and that now his acts have consequences upon a whole galaxy. I think that can explain a lot about the self-doubt part of his character.

Comment

I see what you're saying, but what you see as going emotionally backwards I see as growing up. We got precious little backstory for him but what backstory we did see indicated someone who had led a charmed life, whose intelligence, memory and personability had always been a passport to success and respect. I got the feeling that because he was brighter than most of his peers he'd always found life pretty easy, and even with Kellowna in a state of cold war he was in the centre of the nation's government and cossetted from the harsher aspects of life.

Even as early as Meridian I can see this changing. He was rather blase about what SG-1 initially told him about the dangerous realities of life in the galaxy, and even about the dangers of the bomb. I think Jonas was far more deeply shocked by the deaths of his friends than any of SG-1 were over Daniel's impending death (of course they were all grief-stricken, but shocked? not really) and it jolted him significantly. As did the realisation that his people really could do themselves some damage.

He still had a lot of arrogance and naivete(sp) though, visible throughout much of the next season. But to an extent that comes down to the rest of SG-1. After all, seeing how they lounged around that prison cell in The Other Guys as if it were a waiting-room at the ear-piercing salon how would Jonas be expected to really take in how dangerous everything was, or to take in how easy it would be for them to fail? It's most apparent in Unnatural Selection, where Jonas really doesn't seem at all freaked by the replicators, and even takes Jack to task for betraying Fifth, oblivious to the consequenses had Jack done otherwise.

Then Metamorphosis came, and Jonas had his first opportunity to *feel* the possibility of failure and to worry about the consequences. He'd faced danger before, like in Descent; but that was a rushed situation where swift action solved the problem so any fear would have been mingled with the adrenaline and dulled by the need to act. And he'd experienced a long period of threat before, in Redemption; but in that he was surrounded by others facing the same predicament, besides knowing that if the worst happenned he'd never even feel it. With Nirrti's machine he was alone and he had a long period of being able to dwell on his and SG-1's predicament, and yet couldn't actually *do* anything; that must have been quite a knock to the confidence.

Prophecy likewise - he suddenly found himself with more responsibility for SG-1's safety than ever before whilst being for the first time in a situation for which nothing had prepared him.

The self-doubt he displays in Prophecy is heightened, I feel, by the fact that he'd never really doubted himself to any great degree before. Someone less gifted than he would have faced self-doubt many times growing up, but I think Jonas spent a year gradually learning that life on SG-1 is dangerous and everything they do is difficult. And Prophecy, for me, marks the fullness of that realisation.

At the end though, realising that Janet and the rest of SG-1 value and trust him, his confidence is back. I don't see him being nervous or doubting himself in any of the eps that follow Prophecy. Quite the reverse, in fact. He seems to have more authority within the team after that. Right up to Changeling Jonas really felt like The Newbie. In Prophecy, Full Circle, Fallen and Homecoming he felt much more like an equal part of The Team with the others. Prophecy was when Jonas grew up, and grew into his position. A faltering of his confidence occurred, but in overcoming the most challenging threat he'd faced he ended up with a new, stronger, more mature (and much more realistic) confidence in its place.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                                X