Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The next goal for SG:A: Cast Stability!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next goal for SG:A: Cast Stability!!!

For any possible future seasons, the creators of the show should settle down and not have anymore cast changes for the rest of its run (3 seasons max, probably). There was not a cast change to SG-1 until season 6, and then it went back to how it was for season 7.

Though it has not annoyed me, the constant cast changes are starting to bug me. Does anyone else want to see a couple of seasons with the same cast? To me it worked out brilliantly with SG:1.

I like that it always changes. I love those episodes in sci fi shows where are character dies or joins. (Even if its my favorite character). But yeah I think the season 4 cast was great (except Carter her in that role never felt right - seemed like a different character.) So i wouldn't be against the current cast remaining.

Comment

i think sg1 got a bit lucky with thier casts atlantis have just been experimenting a bit with them trying to find the best fit...and amanda tapping decided to leave they didnt get rid of her
      The BC-304... Just Try And Stop Us Now!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Reckoning22 View Post
        Does anyone else want to see a couple of seasons with the same cast?
        No, I think the concept of Cast Changes didn't sit well with SG-1 because they left it so late to try; but given that Atlantis set the tone nice and early, with Ford and Grodin leaving and Ronon arriving before the second year was a fortnight old, I think Atlantis should maintain its turnover rate, to keep it all from getting blasé.

But next time they kill or retire a character, it should be midseason. End-of-season exits are old hat

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Reckoning22 View Post
          For any possible future seasons, the creators of the show should settle down and not have anymore cast changes for the rest of its run (3 seasons max, probably). There was not a cast change to SG-1 until season 6, and then it went back to how it was for season 7.

Though it has not annoyed me, the constant cast changes are starting to bug me. Does anyone else want to see a couple of seasons with the same cast? To me it worked out brilliantly with SG:1.
          Why?

Comment

Well the AR1 team has been the same for 3 years, i dont know quite wut u mean. While there has been alot off adds and minus the core team has remained. While this is an ensamble show and it does a better job of fleshing out the supporting the characters than anything else i watch. You cant really say the team has broken up at all.

Comment

Personally, I think that some of Atlantis's cast problems has to do with the enviroment of television as well.

Around the time Atlantis started, I started to notice a general shift in television shows, they've become more plot oriented to some extent and characters, even main characters, are killed or retired for the sake of the plot or intrique, not because the actor particularly wants to leave.

Comment

I think the cast changes have been for the better. Ford was awful, imo. Ronon is so much better of a character and they developed him from that outcast runner warrior buff, to a caring and friendly person who cares about his friends.

We are getting Carson back for a recurring role, so there is a 360 degrees turn right there.

I think Woolsey is going to surprise a lot of people with how much character drama he adds to the show and he may not be a good leader at first, but that is what a drama series is about. A character has to have their flaws and struggles and then eventually mesh well into that position. We did not get that with Carter. She was just too well respected and there was no conflinct, except from............oh yeah Woolsey (The Seer).

As per more changes down the road.They should keep Season 5 and if there is a Season 6, the same. The only change I can see happening is maybe Carson getting more eps.
                sigpic

Comment

Yes, I would like to see the cast turnover settle down. I make it a point not to watch shows with a high cast turnover, and it gets annoying. A show like L&O (which I don't watch btw) can handle it because they're very much a plot oriented show rather than character oriented. But most shows don't work that way and cast instability tends to be a sign of show instability. Not even the CSIs have had much of a cast shakeup until this last year or so. And let's face it - the strength of a show like Atlantis is their characters, not their plots, which tend to be regular sci-fi fare, nothing particularly groundbreaking. Ford's departure is nothing that unusual - I can think of several shows that replaced a character that wasn't working after the first year, especially if they were just a supporting character. But the rest of the changes...that's not so usual. And yeah, I hope it settles down from here on out. It's not good for a show to continually feel like it's in transition IMO, and last year definately felt like a transitional year.
                  - Life after Stargate -
                  Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                  Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post

I think Woolsey is going to surprise a lot of people with how much character drama he adds to the show and he may not be a good leader at first, but that is what a drama series is about. A character has to have their flaws and struggles and then eventually mesh well into that position. We did not get that with Carter. She was just too well respected and there was no conflinct, except from............oh yeah Woolsey (The Seer).
                    I sorta exciting to see how Woolsey as a leader. It will be neat to see him grow into the role of the leader. You know him and Sheppard are going have some conflicts over stuff.

As for the cast stability, I can understand if an actor want to leave the show. I just don't want to see any more shock deaths. Hopefully, this is the beginning some stability. Like you said Brian, I can see them adding Carson into more episodes. I also think they might add one or two more characters to recurring status.

Comment

Originally posted by miss_kaylee View Post
                      I sorta exciting to see how Woolsey as a leader. It will be neat to see him grow into the role of the leader. You know him and Sheppard are going have some conflicts over stuff.

As for the cast stability, I can understand if an actor want to leave the show. I just don't want to see any more shock deaths. Hopefully, this is the beginning some stability. Like you said Brian, I can see them adding Carson into more episodes. I also think they might add one or two more characters to recurring status.
                      As long as the 4 main characters remain untouched then I am happy. I also see Carson returning as bringing more character stability. Carson, like Sheppard, Teyla, and Mckay are the original cast from day one.
                      sigpic

Comment

.: ITA - but cast stability also factors in to that spiffy thing called cast chemistry, which we had with Shep, Teyla, Elizabeth, Carson, Ronon and Rodney in S2-S3. It was perfect.

.: Excuse me for sounding like an optimist, but it's not to late for TPTB to have a change of heart and mend old wounds.

.: FTW

Comment

We have cast chemistry now, the producers have only been cutting away dead skin, Ford, Weir, Heightmeyer ect...

Comment

Did I dream this or didn't Joe and David sign on for five years? Because if that's the case, there could be some major shuffling around of recurring characters to free up money for the huge salaries Joe and David will (very deservedly) be getting. The show would be nothing without both those guys.
                            sigpic

Comment

Nah, cast stability puts too much pressure on TPTB to actually develop those characters. Constant turnover of new and shiny things is far easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X