PDA

View Full Version : What character should go?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Integrabyte
June 20th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Dr. Lee was cool. Zelenka is inspired after him...short, making tons of boo boos...the usual :D.

Linda06
June 20th, 2008, 11:40 AM
You mean, stuck stuck or stucK? :D

I mean stuck...As in when you press the button nothing happens and he's stuck on 4 votes.....:p

I i like Lee,he was fun and i like Zelenka too....There's just something so nice and sweet about him......Now why can't one of them be on the show permanently instead of moan a minute!

Lahela
June 20th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Love Dr Lee! I love all the characters that are designed to be loathesome - Lee, Kavanagh... they write bad so well :p

Linda06
June 20th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Love Dr Lee! I love all the characters that are designed to be loathesome - Lee, Kavanagh... they write bad so well :p

Ohhh Kavanaugh...The guy ya just love to hate..Or is that hate to love :S :o

He played that part so well.....I bet in real life he's the sweetest guy you'd probably meet!

Rac80
June 20th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I mean stuck...As in when you press the button nothing happens and he's stuck on 4 votes.....:p

I i like Lee,he was fun and i like Zelenka too....There's just something so nice and sweet about him......Now why can't one of them be on the show permanently instead of moan a minute!

Bill Lee! I dunno why I blanked on his last name. I loved the moan-a-minute title! :D that is brilliant!

Linda06
June 20th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Bill Lee! I dunno why I blanked on his last name. I loved the moan-a-minute title! :D that is brilliant!

It's kinda fitting really ;)

Rac80
June 20th, 2008, 09:03 PM
It's kinda fitting really ;)
hun, that is spot-on! mental green for ya!

Integrabyte
June 21st, 2008, 04:08 AM
Keller has a new nickname :p.

Linda06
June 21st, 2008, 08:22 AM
hun, that is spot-on! mental green for ya!

heehee thank you!

Keller has a new nickname :p.

She does :confused: Sorry i can be a bit slow :o

Rac80
June 21st, 2008, 09:14 AM
heehee thank you!

She does :confused: Sorry i can be a bit slow :o

Nope hun, teggy wants to name Keller moan-a-minute not rodney! Rodney is moan-a-minute though...he got the name first. So it is "official" Rodney is whiner-in-chief. :P:P

Integrabyte
June 21st, 2008, 09:26 AM
Nope hun, teggy wants to name Keller moan-a-minute not rodney! Rodney is moan-a-minute though...he got the name first. So it is "official" Rodney is whiner-in-chief. :P:P

You are quick :p. Keller has a new nick... s..... seconds :p.

Osiris
June 21st, 2008, 10:05 AM
Judging by the results, basically all the female characters should leave? Does the Stargate Atlantis fans have a problem with women or something? lol

Falcon Horus
June 21st, 2008, 10:16 AM
Judging by the results, basically all the female characters should leave? Does the Stargate Atlantis fans have a problem with women or something? lol

Most fans (or the ones here) are women, I really don't understand why really. It's a mystery.

Edit: Actually I do know... Female characters are so badly written that they don't feel part of the story/game anymore. They are only there to look pretty and be the damsels in distress for our heroes to be all heroic when the need arises. That's not the kind of female characters most female fans would like to see. They are being butchered.

bluealien
June 21st, 2008, 11:36 AM
Most fans (or the ones here) are women, I really don't understand why really. It's a mystery.

Edit: Actually I do know... Female characters are so badly written that they don't feel part of the story/game anymore. They are only there to look pretty and be the damsels in distress for our heroes to be all heroic when the need arises. That's not the kind of female characters most female fans would like to see. They are being butchered.

I'm quite happy with how the female characters are been written and how do you know what most female fans want.

Falcon Horus
June 21st, 2008, 11:39 AM
I'm quite happy with how the female characters are been written and how do you know what most female fans want.

I don't but it's a general observation.

Linda06
June 21st, 2008, 12:49 PM

Yep he got it first :p

Um ok dumbo here......I don't get it :confused:

I know i know i'm slow on the uptake :o

Reiko
June 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM
they write bad so well :p

» They should stop trying to write good :P

Does the Stargate Atlantis fans have a problem with women or something? lol

» Most of us are women. And what FH said.

GateofDOOM
June 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM
^^ I don't just want some of the women gone. I have a whole list of characters I want to see gone!

...a list I won't get into, lest I get angry responses from all sections of fandom.
:P

There are definitely some guys on there. Trust me.

Rac80
June 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM
you wish! :P:P

Yep he got it first :p

Um ok dumbo here......I don't get it :confused:

I know i know i'm slow on the uptake :o

Teggy was being a wee bit norty hun. ignore the norty, otherwise he is ok. ;)

I am female (according to my obgyn :P) BUT I want Rodney and Carson gone... oh wait they act like a "damsel in distress" much of the time so they might not count as males. ;)

elliecat
June 22nd, 2008, 02:54 AM
I don't think being male or female has anything to do with it, it's just the female characters that they have now are generally written worse than the male ones for some reason.:)

Or they are just terrible characters like Keller who are brought in to replace good characters. ;)

Integrabyte
June 22nd, 2008, 03:48 AM
Keller needs to kick the bucket, faaast!!! :p.

Linda06
June 22nd, 2008, 06:26 AM
Teggy was being a wee bit norty hun. ignore the norty, otherwise he is ok. ;)

ah right....Well it was really late and my brain went into shut down.....Well that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it :p ;)

Integrabyte
June 22nd, 2008, 07:49 AM
You called? :D

Rac80
June 22nd, 2008, 09:09 AM
You called? :D

LOL you wish Jennifer would! (methinks you protest too much!:P)

Integrabyte
June 22nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
LOL you wish Jennifer would! (methinks you protest too much!:P)

After seeing 501 I will make sure land my spaceship on her car more often!!!

Rac80
June 22nd, 2008, 09:26 AM
After seeing 501 I will make sure land my spaceship on her car more often!!!

YOU have a spaceship eh? :P

Integrabyte
June 22nd, 2008, 09:28 AM
YOU have a spaceship eh? :P

Yes I do. Tis called The Chakram ;).

Rac80
June 22nd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Yes I do. Tis called The Chakram ;).

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOK! (wonders what teggy has been smokin'?)

Integrabyte
June 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOK! (wonders what teggy has been smokin'?)

I don't smoke, drink, or misbehave :P.

Rac80
June 22nd, 2008, 09:57 AM

Oh the delusions are "organic" in nature then? ;)

Falcon Horus
June 22nd, 2008, 09:57 AM

Teggy is good little boy.

Rac80
June 22nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
Teggy is good little boy.

"little boy" being the operative phrase? somehow I don't think that applies to him!

JohnDuh
June 22nd, 2008, 11:29 AM
It's a good thing Mallozzi says they ignore the nutters on gateworld - Keller is wonderful and good riddance of that whiny nut they used to have as doctor (i guess i can tolerate him in a few episodes)

Arica12
June 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
It's a good thing Mallozzi says they ignore the nutters on gateworld - Keller is wonderful and good riddance of that whiny nut they used to have as doctor (i guess i can tolerate him in a few episodes)

Well to each there own, personally I think the only 'wonderful' thing about Keller are the scenes she's not in.

Rac80
June 22nd, 2008, 11:36 AM

i gave out too many greens today! so mental GREEN for ya! ;)

Reiko
June 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
» Keller proved to be impotent just in the first part of S&R. She's going to get someobdy killed one of these days. Her idiocy is enough to make her the character "to go".

vaberella
June 22nd, 2008, 11:45 AM
» Keller proved to be impotent just in the first part of S&R. She's going to get someobdy killed one of these days. Her idiocy is enough to make her the character "to go".

Hey Reiko-girl, put it in spoiler tags since premiere date is not here. I'll wait and see, but this is what I'm hearing, I'm not surprised either.

Huh...when you said whiny nut, I thought you were referring to Keller. I have to say that I found Carson decent just not regular material, ditto for Keller and ANY medical personnel.

Arica12
June 22nd, 2008, 11:45 AM

And her idiocy is frankly one of her more endearing qualities:cool:

Rac80
June 22nd, 2008, 11:48 AM
why the moaning, whiney duo of Carson and McKay of course!
yes please put all S5 comments in spoilers since I don't watch until it airs on tv!

Arica12
June 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
Whiny idiotic brat Keller to go - she makes Rodney look well adjusted for goodness sake!

elliecat
June 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
When Keller's around you really don't notice the whining quite so much from McKay, she does enough for the whole of Atlantis! (but Rodney's whining is funny anyway imo). ;)

vaberella
June 22nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
Whiny idiotic brat Keller to go - she makes Rodney look well adjusted for goodness sake!

Now that's insulting Rodney. He's fairly well adjusted in HIS own galaxy and planet. Her, I have no idea where she's well adjusted. Every episode is Keller coming of age, I'm still trying to find from which age to which because I've seen far more fearless 10 month olds. :cool:

elliecat
June 22nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Now that's insulting Rodney. He's fairly well adjusted in HIS own galaxy and planet. Her, I have no idea where she's well adjusted. Every episode is Keller coming of age, I'm still trying to find from which age to which because I've seen far more fearless 10 month olds. :cool:

:lol:

Now there is a good reason why she should go, hey maybe Teyla's baby could take over? ;)

Rac80
June 22nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Yep the more I think about it the more the moan-a-minute twins (aka Mckay and Carson) NEED to go! oh and followed by Zelenka! all that hair sniffing....creepy! :eek:

Arica12
June 22nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Yep the more I think about it the more the moan-a-minute twins (aka Mckay and Carson) NEED to go! oh and followed by Zelenka! all that hair sniffing....creepy! :eek:

Well I agree there (;))

If they want to end Stargate Atlantis and get Universe of the ground right away that's EXACTLY the thing to do.

g.o.d
June 22nd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Well I agree there (;))

If they want to end Stargate Atlantis and get Universe of the ground right away that's EXACTLY the thing to do.

then they should do it;)

Rac80
June 22nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
then they should do it;)

g.o.d. has spoken! ;)

Integrabyte
June 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
After seeing 501, I would like to nominate another character to keep Keller company on her way to the fishes. So, We come in peace shoot to kill needs to go!

Reiko
June 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hey Reiko-girl, put it in spoiler tags since premiere date is not here. I'll wait and see, but this is what I'm hearing, I'm not surprised either.

» Oops. :o Will do. Done :)

kali1
June 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM

Now there is a good reason why she should go, hey maybe Teyla's baby could take over? ;)

Teyla's baby will probably age fast so that will most likely be possible!

kali1
June 22nd, 2008, 05:16 PM
The all girl team has to be the next to go along with the romance arc of all characters involved.

Integrabyte
June 23rd, 2008, 05:27 AM
Can I vote again? :D

Rac80
June 23rd, 2008, 07:30 AM
Can I vote again? :D

No teggy you can't.
after S &R

woolsey needs to go... the cold way he told sam she was being replaced just made me want to smack him upside the head one! Then to tell her that HE was replacing her! ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Laura Dove
June 23rd, 2008, 08:36 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who can't stand Larrin. :D

Integrabyte
June 23rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
No teggy you can't.
after S &R

woolsey needs to go... the cold way he told sam she was being replaced just made me want to smack him upside the head one! Then to tell her that HE was replacing her! ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

But.... but....*cute face* I want Sheppard to skedaddle with Keller :P.

PeteJ
June 23rd, 2008, 09:18 AM
Teyla, I've never liked her. Keller is rather bland character and luckily doesn't get on my nerves that much.

Well, I don't wanna see Larrin ever again either, but as she is not a regular, Teyla has my vote.

Landers
June 23rd, 2008, 09:33 AM
I voted Keller as she is just a pain. All that whimpy, no confidence, complaining has to stop, with her leaving the show.

Woolsey is a close second.

maxbo
June 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM

Sadly, these results are par for the course. SGA's female characters never do as well as the male characters in these type of polls. It's been this way since the beginning.

I believe the only reason why Woolsey is scoring female character-type negatives is because we haven't seen him as a regular yet. I'm sure TPTB will put more effort into writing for Woolsey than they would for a female character so it'll be interesting to see if his numbers turn around by the end of the season.

DOUG-O
June 23rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
I would have to say larrin

DOUG-O
June 23rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
I would have to say larrin

Laura Dove
June 23rd, 2008, 01:22 PM

Or maybe the Stargate Atlantis show has a problem at depicting strong, intelligent, likable women. :( I miss Elisabeth Weir.

Falcon Horus
June 23rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
Or maybe the Stargate Atlantis show has a problem at depicting strong, intelligent, likable women. :(

Spot on!

Integrabyte
June 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Or maybe the Stargate Atlantis show has a problem at depicting strong, intelligent, likable women. :( I miss Elisabeth Weir.

I beg to differ!!! Look at Teyla. The tighter the top, the more intelligent she is :P.

jenks
June 23rd, 2008, 04:00 PM

She's the writers biggest failure, so I don't know why.

GateofDOOM
June 23rd, 2008, 04:09 PM
After seeing 501, I would like to nominate another character to keep Keller company on her way to the fishes. So, We come in peace shoot to kill needs to go!

Don't forget to send Teyla with him!! (Or he'll never leave)

Integrabyte
June 23rd, 2008, 04:16 PM

Don't forget to send Teyla with him!! (Or he'll never leave)

The more the merrier :D.

Reiko
June 23rd, 2008, 04:48 PM
» Keller and Woolsey need to hook up before they go :)

Spot on!

» I second that!

Rac80
June 23rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
The moan-a-minute twins (aka rodney and carson) need to go! (i could not handle another kiss between them :eek: )

Laura Dove
June 24th, 2008, 01:54 AM
(Elisabeth Weir)

She's the writers biggest failure, so I don't know why.

Because she was depicted as a person instead of a pair of breasts, because she was strong-willed, because she knew when or not to trust her team, because she had guts but at the same time sincerely cared for her team... That's why.

Why do you consider her a failure?

Linzi
June 24th, 2008, 04:21 AM
(Elisabeth Weir)

Because she was depicted as a person instead of a pair of breasts, because she was strong-willed, because she knew when or not to trust her team, because she had guts but at the same time sincerely cared for her team... That's why.

Well seeing as how Weir's breasts got bigger and her tops tighter from season 1 onwards, and Weir wore more make up etc.. I'm not sure I agree with you here. Weir was an attractive woman, and did wear tight clothes on occasion. But surely Weir isn't on topic for this thread? It's about which character you think should go and why?? :)

Linzi
June 24th, 2008, 04:22 AM
The moan-a-minute twins (aka rodney and carson) need to go! (i could not handle another kiss between them :eek: )
Well, I didn't and don't want either to go, but I'm with you on the kiss! :eek:

Lenas
June 24th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Well, I didn't and don't want either to go, but I'm with you on the kiss! :eek:

As we all can see - Keller need to go!!
And I rather take ten kisses like that then Keller almost kissing anyone:mad:

Stormtrooper
June 24th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Well seeing as how Weir's breasts got bigger and her tops tighter from season 1 onwards, and Weir wore more make up etc.. I'm not sure I agree with you here. Weir was an attractive woman, and did wear tight clothes on occasion.

And I don't want to share "Shep" with her. Aw, I'm so vain :rolleyes:

Stupid fangirls ruining my sci-fi :mckay:

gateship777
June 24th, 2008, 08:54 AM

possible the best characters in the show! they have perfect relationship. without mckay they would of got killed ages ago. and same goes for beckett, hell discovered the ancient gene!

jenks
June 24th, 2008, 12:03 PM
(Elisabeth Weir)

Her? She's a fictional character. The failure is that of the writers, they wrote her so inconsistently that it got to a point where there was nothing left to salvage of the character, and the only reasonable option was to write her out for the good of the show. But even if you want to argue from an 'in-story' perspective then she was still a train wreck, her recklessness generally lead to the Pegasus galaxy finding itself in a worse mess with every passing episode, and as soon as a new commander took over the Replicators were dealt with and the Wraith were severely weakened, and the only other big threat out there is Michael & co, something Weir is responsible for in the first place! Though that's not my reason for disliking the character, it's difficult to find a in which she was a success in any sense of the word.

Arica12
June 24th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Her? She's a fictional character. The failure is that of the writers, they wrote her so inconsistently that it got to a point where there was nothing left to salvage of the character, and the only reasonable option was to write her out for the good of the show. But even if you want to argue from an 'in-story' perspective then she was still a train wreck, her recklessness generally lead to the Pegasus galaxy finding itself in a worse mess with every passing episode, and as soon as a new commander took over the Replicators were dealt with and the Wraith were severely weakened, and the only other big threat out there is Michael & co, something Weir is responsible for in the first place! Though that's not my reason for disliking the character, it's difficult to find a in which she was a success in any sense of the word.

If writing out Weir is what they do for the good of the show I'd hate to see what they do if they no longer like the show.

Weir was not well written at times it's true, but with a little hard work and effort from the writers that could have been fixed, instead they chose sloppy fixes, stunt casting and second rate cartoon cut out replacements for Beckett and Weir.

During Season 3 we all knew there were some problems, but there was nothing compared to the character disasters they are having now. And the very fact that we have a thread that says which character should be written out is emblematic of how far this show has fallen.

I'm beginning to think it's time to call a halt and start again with Universe, so maybe write them all out!

jenks
June 24th, 2008, 01:35 PM
If writing out Weir is what they do for the good of the show I'd hate to see what they do if they no longer like the show.

They'd write her back in.

Weir was not well written at times it's true, but with a little hard work and effort from the writers that could have been fixed, instead they chose sloppy fixes, stunt casting and second rate cartoon cut out replacements for Beckett and Weir.

You can't fix inconsistency. Weir replacement couldn't have been any worse than her, so Sam was a success, as no doubt Woolsey will be.

During Season 3 we all knew there were some problems, but there was nothing compared to the character disasters they are having now. And the very fact that we have a thread that says which character should be written out is emblematic of how far this show has fallen.

The thing is, there is no character disaster, at least not one that exists outside the minds of a very small and very loud group of 'fans'.

I'm beginning to think it's time to call a halt and start again with Universe, so maybe write them all out!

Or maybe stop watching if you think it's so bad!

Poltergeist
June 24th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I guess I all ready got my wish, because the character I wanted gone, is.

That's right ladies and gentlemen, Weir has left the building.

So I vote for Larrin.

prion
June 24th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I guess I all ready got my wish, because the character I wanted gone, is.

That's right ladies and gentlemen, Weir has left the building.

So I vote for Larrin.

Well, Carter's now gone, so.... yeah. I'd rather have Weir back. Too bad they coudln't have writen Carter during season 4 as they had her in Search & Rescue. Then she could have stayed...

Reiko
June 24th, 2008, 07:08 PM
» The poor sap who created the promo pic atrocity needs to go. :mckay: Bad photoshop makes me cry.

PG15
June 24th, 2008, 07:10 PM
That...we are in agreement.

No, the world's still here.

jelgate
June 24th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I agree with Reiko for once. The promo pic needs to go.

*cues evil laugh*

nekoi
June 24th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Koyla.

I never really liked his character and I think it's time we saw some different Genii characters take the stage. Leave him dead.

Either that or Reiko's suggestion. :P

Laura Dove
June 25th, 2008, 01:48 PM
But surely Weir isn't on topic for this thread? It's about which character you think should go and why?? :)

Well, I think Carter should go so that Weir could be back. :p I mean, I don't hate Carter, she may be a great character in SG1 (which I have not seen), but she doesn't fit in SGA.

Other than that, I want to never ever see Larrin again, and I find Keller quite annoying.

they wrote her so inconsistently that it got to a point where there was nothing left to salvage of the character, and the only reasonable option was to write her out for the good of the show.

If you find Weir inconsistent, think about Sheppard. He is supposed to be the Great Hero Of The Show yet he sometimes behaves like a 10-years old kid. However, I still like him and wouldn't want him to disappear.

Koyla.
I never really liked his character and I think it's time we saw some different Genii characters take the stage. Leave him dead.

Heh, I liked him a lot as a villain. :) But I noticed that his translated French voice is immensely better than the original English voice. In French, he really sounds ruthless. In "Common Ground", when he says "3 hours", it sounds like a threat in French and like a plead in English.

Linzi
June 25th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Well, I think Carter should go so that Weir could be back. :p I mean, I don't hate Carter, she may be a great character in SG1 (which I have not seen), but she doesn't fit in SGA.

Um, spoilers for season 5 cast changes:
Carter has gone, which was Amanda's choice due to other committments, hence Carter not being in the poll, and Woolsey is new leader, so, yeah, sorry your point is a bit moot now. Weir isn't coming back as played by Torri either, by Torri's choice, hence Weir not being in the poll either. So, well, I guess you'll have to stick with Larrin! :lol: Oh hang on, I don't think Larrin is back either, is she? We're not doing too well here, are we?

jenks
June 25th, 2008, 01:57 PM
If you find Weir inconsistent, think about Sheppard. He is supposed to be the Great Hero Of The Show yet he sometimes behaves like a 10-years old kid. However, I still like him and wouldn't want him to disappear.

I agree he can be a bit juvenile at times, but I'm not sure what that's got to do with him being a 'hero'. It's not like they're mutually exclusive...

Laura Dove
June 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Um, spoilers for season 5 cast changes:
Oh hang on, I don't think Larrin is back either, is she? We're not doing too well here, are we?

According to Stargate Solutions episode guide for season 5 episode 11 (http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/SGA_5.11_%22The_Lost_Tribe_Part_2%22_Episode_Guide),
Larrin will be back, alas. :(

I agree he can be a bit juvenile at times, but I'm not sure what that's got to do with him being a 'hero'. It's not like they're mutually exclusive...

To precise the worst example I have in mind, he is supposed to have a great sense of responsibilities, which just doesn't fit with his behaviour in "The Game".

But it's a bit off topic since I don't want him to go although he is a jerk at times. :)

Linzi
June 25th, 2008, 02:53 PM
According to Stargate Solutions episode guide for season 5 episode 11 (http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/SGA_5.11_%22The_Lost_Tribe_Part_2%22_Episode_Guide),
Larrin will be back, alas. :(

spoilers for season 5 casting:

Jill Wagner wasn't available, so it's a new female character now. I forget her name - Katana, or something? :o It's possible Larrin could be back later on though, but I'd guess not.

jelgate
June 25th, 2008, 03:03 PM
The actress that plays Larrin is a co-host of a new?* ABC game show. A major factor on Larrin's return will depend on the sucess of the new show.

Reiko
June 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Other than that, I want to never ever see Larrin again, and I find Keller quite annoying.

» Welcome to the club. I totally agree with everything you said. :weir:

JackHarkness_Hot
June 25th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Oh poor Keller...

Reiko
June 25th, 2008, 03:35 PM
» We give her all the love she deserves ;)

Stormtrooper
June 25th, 2008, 03:50 PM
The actress that plays Larrin is a co-host of a new?* ABC game show. A major factor on Larrin's return will depend on the sucess of the new show.

Maybe she got tired of being degraded on SGA.

Rac80
June 25th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I still want the "moan-a-minute twins" (rodney and Carson) gone! I would be happy never to see Larrin again too. I also would like to remember Woolsey as the doctor on voyager! ;)

melfan
June 26th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Keller! She needs to go! Never liked her really... And Teyla, replace her with someone that matters. I don't care if she has a child now, Teyla is and has always been in the backround until they need her for something that involves the Wraith in some manner, like take over a Queen or or get in the head of male Wraith...

alyssa
June 26th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I also would like to remember Woolsey as the doctor on voyager! ;)

Hmmm. So he shouldn't have a job because you'd like to remember him as something else. Nice.

I agree he's a crappy character and is wrong for the show, but I certainly wouldn't wish the actor out of a job.

Oh, and you think Rodney and Carson are moaners, but you like that Godawful Keller? What, she's allowed to be a whiner because she's a 'little girl' and they're men? That's the impression I get from your other posts.

Lenas
June 26th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Hmmm. So he shouldn't have a job because you'd like to remember him as something else. Nice.

I agree he's a crappy character and is wrong for the show, but I certainly wouldn't wish the actor out of a job.

Oh, and you think Rodney and Carson are moaners, but you like that Godawful Keller? What, she's aloud to be a whiner because she's a 'little girl' and they're men? That's the impression I get from your other posts.

Keller needs to whine her way out of SGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poll is going fine:)

Falcon Horus
June 26th, 2008, 07:32 AM

She'll be gone at the speed of light. :p

Linda06
June 26th, 2008, 11:09 AM

Really??? Oh in that case i so hope the new show does awesomely great and then she won't be available :D

Arica12
June 26th, 2008, 11:50 AM

Poll is going fine:)

WHINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Is it a bird

Is it a Plane

No it's SupaWhiner!!!!!

Seriously this character needs to go and the sooner the better, I just don't think i face any episodes she's in. There have been characters I haven't particularly liked before but never one that's made me not want to watch the show!

Redhooks
June 26th, 2008, 12:11 PM
The actress that plays Larrin is a co-host of a new?* ABC game show. A major factor on Larrin's return will depend on the sucess of the new show.I think it depends more on stories for the rest of the season right now. Next season is another question and it is only a bit of bad luck (in my POV) that the shooting of the SGA mid-season two-parter happened to coincide with the shooting of the Wipeout episodes. Two weeks earlier in schedule for the two-parter and Larrin would be in it.

Maybe she got tired of being degraded on SGA.No. It was due to a scheduling conflict as noted above. Jill Wagner has stated she would love to come back later this season if she is needed.

Really??? Oh in that case i so hope the new show does awesomely great and then she won't be available :DI am kind of conflicted with Wipeout because I like to see Jill do well, but this show is a disaster in my view with only Jill's quips while the contestants are on the course being funny while the commentators lines that are written afterwards are quite bad. I would much rather see her as a regular on a scripted show and if she gets one, then I have no problem with her not reprising the Larrin role. Wipeout did get great ratings Tuesday night winning the night with more that 10 million viewers. Next week's episode will show if the audience will remain for the rest of the summer.

Rac80
June 26th, 2008, 01:25 PM

Oh, and you think Rodney and Carson are moaners, but you like that Godawful Keller? What, she's allowed to be a whiner because she's a 'little girl' and they're men? That's the impression I get from your other posts.

I forsee woolsey as a totally forgettable character and one many will hate, I am sure with his talents Picardo could have done better! ;)
LOL well I would rather listen to a 25 year old whine A LITTLE than the (supposedly!) adult (late 30's) moan-a-minute twins whine constantly! If that is not the way you see it, c'est la vie! ;)

Arica12
June 26th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I forsee woolsey as a totally forgettable character and one many will hate, I am sure with his talents Picardo could have done better! ;)
LOL well I would rather listen to a 25 year old whine A LITTLE than the (supposedly!) adult (late 30's) moan-a-minute twins whine constantly! If that is not the way you see it, c'est la vie! ;)

Well our definitions of a little certainly differ (if you cut Keller's whining out of missing for example it lasts all of 7 minutes).

And neither Rodney or Carson engaged in naval gazing when other people needed them, Keller's gaze never lifts from hers

Rac80
June 26th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Well our definitions of a little certainly differ (if you cut Keller's whining out of missing for example it lasts all of 7 minutes).

And neither Rodney or Carson engaged in naval gazing when other people needed them, Keller's gaze never lifts from hers

That's the point, everyone has their own personal view based on age and experience (or the lack thereof of both!;) ), those are my views based on my very (very ! ) old age :D and a lifetime of experiences. I don't expect you to agree, would be disappointed if you did (would throw my psychological theories straight out a window in fact! ;) ) and then I would have nothing to discuss in my next "psychology of the internet" class! :D It's fascinating stuff!

But I still state that the moan-a-minute twins should go! :D

Arica12
June 26th, 2008, 01:36 PM
That's the point, everyone has their own personal view based on age and experience (or the lack thereof of both!;) ), those are my views based on my very (very ! ) old age :D and a lifetime of experiences. I don't expect you to agree, would be disappointed if you did (would throw my psychological theories straight out a window in fact! ;) ) and then I would have nothing to discuss in my next "psychology of the internet" class! :D It's fascinating stuff!

But I still state that the moan-a-minute twins should go! :D

Well we shall agree to differ, however I still say whiny baby to go - preferably strapped to the back of an acme rocket with Zelenka syanding in for Coyote!

They have a psychology of the internet class? Somehow that both thrills and disappoints me

Rac80
June 26th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Well we shall agree to differ, however I still say whiny baby to go - preferably strapped to the back of an acme rocket with Zelenka syanding in for Coyote!

They have a psychology of the internet class? Somehow that both thrills and disappoints me

LOL why disappoint? it is a "space" like a workspace or a home where people interact and the anonymity of it adds a whole new dimension. it's fascinating to study how "anonymous people" act and what they do. Yep it is a graduate level class and is quite interesting and fun. :D

I also am glad Larrin won't be back (as far as we know)

Arica12
June 26th, 2008, 01:56 PM
LOL why disappoint? it is a "space" like a workspace or a home where people interact and the anonymity of it adds a whole new dimension. it's fascinating to study how "anonymous people" act and what they do. Yep it is a graduate level class and is quite interesting and fun. :D

I also am glad Larrin won't be back (as far as we know)

Well perhaps disturbs is a better word.

I don't know, the internet and forums are a playpark, we have fun here, studying it is a little grown up for me!

And just to send your theories into orbit I too detest Larrin!;)

Rac80
June 26th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Well perhaps disturbs is a better word.

I don't know, the internet and forums are a playpark, we have fun here, studying it is a little grown up for me!

And just to send your theories into orbit I too detest Larrin!;)

LOL that is the fun of social psychology... study of "groups of people"....and to one with an interest in psychology it ic fascinating. It's like sitting in a mall and people-watching.

Your dislike of larrin was accurately predicted in my theories as they relate to you! :D there are just some basics that I find apply accross the board. :D

Larrin was simply a lame character in leather, brought in for UST, but there wasn't any!

alyssa
June 26th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Larrin was simply a lame character in leather, brought in for UST, but there wasn't any!

Funny. That's the way a lot of us see Keller, except she's sticking around and they're treating the character like the town bike.

parisindy
June 26th, 2008, 05:42 PM
i voted for keller but i would like keller, Sam, woolsely and Elis all gone

if you would have asked me 1/2 way through season 3 i would have said no one

Alipeeps
June 26th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Funny. That's the way a lot of us see Keller, except she's sticking around and they're treating the character like the town bike.

Jeepers. If one almost kiss and one invite for a drink = town bike then just about every woman I know must be the most horrendous slappers! :lol:

Personally I voted for Keller not cos I particularly hate her but because out of the options given, she's the one I am least interested in and, given the return of a certain other character, hers is a function that the expedition could conceivably do without.

Nikki
June 26th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Larrin - complete waste of screentime. :mckay:

I either love (Mckay, Ronan) or like (Shep, Teyla, Lorne, Zelenka, Keller) everyone else on the show. And I'm not judging Woolsey until I see him as Atlantis leader - he should be interesting. :)

Sad to see Carter go though. :(

Rac80
June 26th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Larrin - complete waste of screentime. :mckay:

I either love (Mckay, Ronan) or like (Shep, Teyla, Lorne, Zelenka, Keller) everyone else on the show. And I'm not judging Woolsey until I see him as Atlantis leader - he should be interesting. :)

Sad to see Carter go though. :(

Yep it was nice to see Sam given a command. I will miss her. :(

Reiko
June 26th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I don't expect you to agree, would be disappointed if you did (would throw my psychological theories straight out a window in fact! ;) ) and then I would have nothing to discuss in my next "psychology of the internet" class! :D It's fascinating stuff!

» Your psychological theories? Your "psychology of the internet" class? :rolleyes:

if you would have asked me 1/2 way through season 3 i would have said no one

» My thoughts exactly. ((HUG))

Rac80
June 26th, 2008, 06:55 PM
» Your psychological theories? Your "psychology of the internet" class? :rolleyes:

» My thoughts exactly. ((HUG))

LOL WHO did you think was teaching it, hmmmmmmmmmmm?????? ;)

Reiko
June 26th, 2008, 06:57 PM
LOL WHO did you think was teaching it, hmmmmmmmmmmm?????? ;)

» School's out. You should go outside and get some air. :cool:

Rac80
June 26th, 2008, 07:02 PM
» School's out. You should go outside and get some air. :cool:

LOL don't go to college eh? some classes are taught even in the summer! actually that is when many of the unique and more interesting ones are taught!:D (*wonders if they all realize that the internet is simply an experiment with humans instead of lab rats?*) ;)

Reiko
June 26th, 2008, 07:03 PM
» Oh, I'm still in school. And yes, it is called "summer school". You?

Rac80
June 26th, 2008, 07:12 PM
» Oh, I'm still in school. And yes, it is called "summer school". You?

GRADUATE school here...year round as always!

Reiko
June 26th, 2008, 07:14 PM
» And you are studying for a degree in ... Internet Psychology?

Rac80
June 26th, 2008, 07:22 PM
» And you are studying for a degree in ... Internet Psychology?

SOCIAL psychology & LAW (double major) right now though I am teaching a class on the psychology of the internet. You would be shocked at the types of courses you find on the campus of a major university. ;) (*decides Reiko couldn't handle info on the human sexuality course she taught last year* :S )

Reiko
June 26th, 2008, 07:24 PM
» Hmm. Interesting.

» Do you care to cure my condition in which I believe Keller must go?

jelgate
June 26th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I suggest electro-shock to cure Reiko

*cues evil laugh*

Rac80
June 26th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I suggest electro-shock to cure Reiko

*cues evil laugh*

there are those who still consider that a valid treatment, but sadly neither the AMA or the APA does. :(

stclare
June 27th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Jeepers. If one almost kiss and one invite for a drink = town bike then just about every woman I know must be the most horrendous slappers! :lol:

Personally I voted for Keller not cos I particularly hate her but because out of the options given, she's the one I am least interested in and, given the return of a certain other character, hers is a function that the expedition could conceivably do without.

To the bold. No but,

sp season 5

If she indeed is at the centre of a love triangle with two team mates she is either stupid (doesnt realise shes dating 2 people) or selfish to the extreme. I had hoped they would lay off the dating with Keller and give her something more meatier - medical wise.

she could well earn this title - not a pleasent thought.

I hate cheaters and people who string others along its a personal grudge. what can I say :cool: who I am, colours the way I look at everything. the spoiler above could well put me off all these characters even though one of them is my reason for watching.

Lenas
June 27th, 2008, 03:58 AM
To the bold. No but,

sp season 5

If she indeed is at the centre of a love triangle with two team mates she is either stupid (doesnt realise shes dating 2 people) or selfish to the extreme. I had hoped they would lay off the dating with Keller and give her something more meatier - medical wise.

I hate cheaters and people who string others along its a personal grudge. what can I say :cool: who I am, colours the way I look at everything. the spoiler above could well put me off all these characters even though one of them is my reason for watching.

She's a medic???? When, were???

No, no, her only purpose in the show is to flirt with regular male characters - to split up the A-team, and to bully the not so regular ones (Zelenka).

*hit the road Keller and don't you come back no more, no more*

stclare
June 27th, 2008, 04:07 AM
She's a medic???? When, were???

No, no, her only purpose in the show is to flirt with regular male characters - to split up the A-team, and to bully the not so regular ones (Zelenka).

*hit the road Keller and don't you come back no more, no more*

No, now ive got this tune stuck in my brain.........

PG15
June 27th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Fandom and its propensity for blow things out of proportion will never cease to amaze and annoy me.

Arica12
June 27th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Fandom and its propensity for blow things out of proportion will never cease to amaze and annoy me.

Nah we just hate Keller.....

Arica12
June 27th, 2008, 03:01 PM
LOL that is the fun of social psychology... study of "groups of people"....and to one with an interest in psychology it ic fascinating. It's like sitting in a mall and people-watching.

Your dislike of larrin was accurately predicted in my theories as they relate to you! :D there are just some basics that I find apply accross the board. :D

I wouldn't try and fit me to any theories - I defy the rules of logic and sanity (or at least that's what my ex said:rolleyes:)

And EVERYONE hates Larrin so I suppose it's no surprise...still it's nice that between this and the promo piccies from hell we can all find a little common ground

PG15
June 27th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Again, not everyone hates Larrin. Stop that. :p

Arica12
June 27th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Again, not everyone hates Larrin. Stop that. :p

Sh! We're finding common ground here, don't ruin it!:rolleyes:

Alipeeps
June 27th, 2008, 03:27 PM
To the bold. No but,

sp season 5

Well I havent read any spoilers for Season 5 so I don't know any details but you seem to be assuming here that "love triangle" automatically means Keller is dating/sleeping with two guys at the same time/being unfaithful. In general, in TV and movie land anyway, love triangle generally refers more to the concept of A person having feelings for B person and B person (often unaware of the feelings of A person) having feelings for C person. No deceit, cheating, no dating two people at once. Unless we know otherwise, you're basing your characterisation of Keller as a slut, or someone in danger of being one, on a plotline which we've yet to see played out and which could be nothing like what you assume.

Oh my yes. All she did in Season 4 was shake her booty at the men and flirt and giggle and bat her eyelashes. Not a scrap of medicine was performed and we never saw her do anything other than make goo-goo eyes at the boys. :rolleyes:

Arica12
June 27th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Well I havent read any spoilers for Season 5 so I don't know any details but you seem to be assuming here that "love triangle" automatically means Keller is dating/sleeping with two guys at the same time/being unfaithful. In general, in TV and movie land anyway, love triangle generally refers more to the concept of A person having feelings for B person and B person (often unaware of the feelings of A person) having feelings for C person. No deceit, cheating, no dating two people at once. Unless we know otherwise, you're basing your characterisation of Keller as a slut, or someone in danger of being one, on a plotline which we've yet to see played out and which could be nothing like what you assume.

Oh my yes. All she did in Season 4 was shake her booty at the men and flirt and giggle and bat her eyelashes. Not a scrap of medicine was performed and we never saw her do anything other than make goo-goo eyes at the boys. :rolleyes:

To be fair she did say 'There's nothing I can do' quite a bit,

Alipeeps
June 27th, 2008, 04:53 PM
To be fair she did say 'There's nothing I can do' quite a bit,

That's what you call fair? That she said "There's nothing I can do" (or a variation thereof) an absolute maximum of 4 times (and that's really stretching it) in a whole (20 episode) year?

Adrift: "I don’t think there’s anything my team and I can do to heal her." (Weir's injuries)

Doppelganger: "I'm sorry. I've done all I can. He's dead." (Doesn't really count as this was a dream of Sheppard's controlled by the entity)

The Seer: "All I can do right now is alleviate his symptoms but whether or not he survives ... it's out of my hands." (A man with advanced cancer who was already terminal before she ever saw him)

Kindred Part II: "I'm sorry, Carson. I wish there was something we could do." (Regarding his degenerative disease deliberately engineered by Michael as part of the cloning process

Only one of those (Weir) is something she could even be expected to be able to immediately do something about and one of the examples isn't even her!

Completely ignoring that she:

Kept Weir alive despite terrible injuries and worked with McKay to try and find a way to save her.
Worked out the cause of the nightmares in Doppelganger, and resuscitated Rodney when his heart stopped and shocked Sheppard enough to stun the entity
Managed the epidemic caused by the Kirsan fever outbreak and identified the cause of the disease, despite being infected and affected by it herself
Performed emergency surgery in the field to save a man's life
Treated Sam's broken leg in the field
Investigated the mysterious disease spreading throughout the galaxy and identified it as related to the Hoffan virus
Examined and treated clone Carson and work out that he's a clone and identify the cause of his illness and worked with him to try and find a cure. Performed surgery on Nabel to save his life
Worked to treat those infected my Michael's plague (in the alternate future) at the cost of her own health and life

So no. No actual doctoring done at all.... :rolleyes: ;)

fumblesmcstupid
June 27th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Radek Zelenka!!

OMG HE is soooo annoying!!

All he does his help help help!

just once I'd like to see him do NOTHING!

Just to see Rodney and Radek just kick back and let every one ELSE save the day!

Bring back Kavenagh!!!

Get rid of all the useful people!!:zelenka::mckayanime18:

AmongiEagle
June 28th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Kavanagh should be the first one to get the life force sucked out of him by the closet Wraith ... I was sorry to see Weir leave the show, but I think it was best for her as an actress. She was always being cast as the bureaucrat and it never did anything for her character development. I enjoyed when she was captured by the Asurans and she appeared at the end of "Be All My Sins Remember'd" but I digress ... Kavanagh all the way!!!

Rac80
June 29th, 2008, 10:55 AM
That's what you call fair? That she said "There's nothing I can do" (or a variation thereof) an absolute maximum of 4 times (and that's really stretching it) in a whole (20 episode) year?

Adrift: "I don’t think there’s anything my team and I can do to heal her." (Weir's injuries)

Doppelganger: "I'm sorry. I've done all I can. He's dead." (Doesn't really count as this was a dream of Sheppard's controlled by the entity)

The Seer: "All I can do right now is alleviate his symptoms but whether or not he survives ... it's out of my hands." (A man with advanced cancer who was already terminal before she ever saw him)

Kindred Part II: "I'm sorry, Carson. I wish there was something we could do." (Regarding his degenerative disease deliberately engineered by Michael as part of the cloning process

Only one of those (Weir) is something she could even be expected to be able to immediately do something about and one of the examples isn't even her!

Completely ignoring that she:

Kept Weir alive despite terrible injuries and worked with McKay to try and find a way to save her.
Worked out the cause of the nightmares in Doppelganger, and resuscitated Rodney when his heart stopped and shocked Sheppard enough to stun the entity
Managed the epidemic caused by the Kirsan fever outbreak and identified the cause of the disease, despite being infected and affected by it herself
Performed emergency surgery in the field to save a man's life
Treated Sam's broken leg in the field
Investigated the mysterious disease spreading throughout the galaxy and identified it as related to the Hoffan virus
Examined and treated clone Carson and work out that he's a clone and identify the cause of his illness and worked with him to try and find a cure. Performed surgery on Nabel to save his life
Worked to treat those infected my Michael's plague (in the alternate future) at the cost of her own health and life

mental green for ya (It seems I have given you too much green recently! ;) ) VERY well said!

Pic
June 29th, 2008, 02:30 PM
... I was sorry to see Weir leave the show, but I think it was best for her as an actress. She was always being cast as the bureaucrat and it never did anything for her character development.....

I agree, while I think we could be in a minority, I didn't like the character very well ~ She tried too hard at times, was emotional when a rational reaction would've served better and rational when emotional feedback would've deepened her character. And when she got all 'gung-ho' it seemed so forced.

Although I wasn't entirely sorry to see Weir leave the show, RepliWeir had potential. Too bad things didn't work out on that front.
at least while using the same actress ~ I understand 'Fran' Weir or some such thing may be appearing in season 5

Rocky89
June 29th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I like Carter.....She was good in S4!:D

She was great in S4 :)

Jumper_One
June 29th, 2008, 05:50 PM
She was great in S4 :)

:indeed:

Rocky89
June 29th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I liked Carter...or rather I liked the potential Carter showed.

I agree, don't listen to Cautious Explorer , he doesn't know what he's talking about. IMO Sam was the very best thing to happen to the show in S4 :samanime20:. Sam was an incredible addition to the show, even if it was 14 episodes, she was always such a great joy and delight to watch not just in S4, but S1-S3 too, and I'm sure they're sad, but not as sad as me. I remember watching the new episodes of SGA on my lap-top, waiting to see Sam, and BIG smile came to my face everytime I saw her on screen :) but now it won't be the same for SGA, I'm really gonna miss that. I'm just glad that she'll be back, and that this isn't the end. She'll be a presence in the show, in the episodes she's not in, and when she's not referred to. Because she's made a huge impact on Stargate, and on one can forget her, you can almost feel her.

And EVERYONE hates Larrin so I suppose it's no surprise...still it's nice that between this and the promo piccies from hell we can all find a little common ground

I don't hate Larrin, I just looooooooooooooooooooove Carter! :love:

:indeed:

I was wrong...She was the best thing to happen to S4. :sam59:

Now look guys, Sam isn't included in the poll, and so I'm asking you all to please leave her out of this! Except if you want to keep saying how great she is, than go ahead :P All I can say I hope to God, that Sam Carter comes back soon, and that they'll be a 3rd movie one day. I wouldn't trade a second of Sam of anything, and even after 11 years, that's still to little Carter. I voted for Woolsey, not because I don't like him, I do, but he'll never measure up to Sam Carter, and only because I strongly believe Sam is the true leader of Atlantis! :sam59:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll266/Challenge_items/Random/atlantislove2redo.jpg

Reiko
June 29th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I agree, don't listen to Cautious Explorer , he doesn't know what he's talking about. IMO Sam was the very best thing to happen to the show in S4 :samanime20:. Sam was an incredible addition to the show, even if it was 14 episodes, she was always such a great joy and delight to watch not just in S4, but S1-S3 too, and I'm sure they're sad, but not as sad as me. I remember watching the new episodes of SGA on my lap-top, waiting to see Sam, and BIG smile came to my face everytime I saw her on screen :) but now it won't be the same for SGA, I'm really gonna miss that. I'm just glad that she'll be back, and that this isn't the end. She'll be a presence in the show, in the episodes she's not in, and when she's not referred to. Because she's made a huge impact on Stargate, and on one can forget her, you can almost feel her.

» See, Rocky89, to me Sam was barely there. She was in the background. Underused. I may be different speaking as a non-Carter fan, but that's the way that I saw it.

» And if you are sad I betcha you are feeling no where close to the amount of sadness us Lizzie fans felt. :o:weir:

Rocky89
June 29th, 2008, 07:45 PM
» See, Rocky89, to me Sam was barely there. She was in the background. Underused. I may be different speaking as a non-Carter fan, but that's the way that I saw it.

» And if you are sad I betcha you are feeling no where close to the amount of sadness us Lizzie fans felt. :o:weir:

You my friend are so wrong, next season will be a very sad season for Sam fans :danielanime08: :sheppardanime32: After all There is only one Sam Carter :sam59:.

starfox
June 29th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Now look guys, Sam isn't included in the poll, and so I'm asking you all to please leave her out of this! Except if you want to keep saying how great she is, than go ahead :P All I can say I hope to God, that Sam Carter comes back soon, and that they'll be a 3rd movie one day. I wouldn't trade a second of Sam of anything, and even after 11 years, that's still to little Carter. I voted for Woolsey, not because I don't like him, I do, but he'll never measure up to Sam Carter, and only because I strongly believe Sam is the true leader of Atlantis! :sam59:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll266/Challenge_items/Random/atlantislove2redo.jpg

Not that you're biased, or anything. ;)

Reiko
June 29th, 2008, 08:41 PM
You my friend are so wrong, next season will be a very sad season for Sam fans :danielanime08: :sheppardanime32: After all There is only one Sam Carter :sam59:.

» C'mon, you had her for eleven years. Don't talk to me about sad. Plus it was Amanda's choice to leave. If you want sad, don't let me get into the angst and bitterness the Carson and especially Elizabeth fans have gone through in the last two years. I'm one. And I'm still spiteful. Because there is only one true heart of Atlantis and one true leader. :beckett::weir:

Rocky89
June 29th, 2008, 09:03 PM
» C'mon, you had her for eleven years. Don't talk to me about sad. Plus it was Amanda's choice to leave. If you want sad, don't let me get into the angst and bitterness the Carson and especially Elizabeth fans have gone through in the last two years. I'm one. And I'm still spiteful. Because there is only one true heart of Atlantis and one true leader. :beckett::weir:

First of all I like Carson and Weir, but I love Carter, so do many, many others, and you can't deny that she'll be incredibly missed. I could write pages about how much she means to me, others over at Samanda, and what we all did for Amanda after she choose to leave, but I won't. Also, it was Amanda's choice to leave, JM, and others over at TPTB tried, did everything to keep her keep, they fought for her. They didn't do that for TH. I'm not saying, you're not sad, but I/we are too, more than you know, because she's been around for 11 years, I haven't been a fan all that time, only the last few years, and she did more in one episode of SG-1, than Weir did in a whole season. Like what she did in TLM, her actions in this ep, showed us once again the person we've all known and loved these past 11 years, a freind, an astrophysicist, a fighter, a leader, a role-model, and a hero. If anyone who still had any doubts of Sam's leadership, I'm sure a lot of them now see her for the good-hearted, brave and selfless she is. Amanda leaving, and Sam's death has made me realize that this really is the end of the Sam saga :(. And as far as Sam's replacement-- no one in either galaxy could ever replace Samantha Carter. Now that's a hero! :sam59:

And I'll have you know, there is no way you can ever in a 1,000000 years convince me you're sadder than me losing a great actor and character, than you were losing Carson and Weir. I love Amanda/Sam, and I was so devastated, I got so sad, and couldn't stop thinking about Sam/Amanda *Getting sadder :danielanime08:* Oh boy, I'm about to get Personal :o. I just want to say to you guys, and everyone else that, as Phenomenally sad as I am that Sam is leaving :(, but that's nothing, I'll miss her way more :danielanime08: :sheppardanime32:. But the thing is the people, characters move on. RDA and MS did it, so I guess it's Sam/Amanda's turn. I'm not looking forward to her last episode, that's definitely going to be the hardest; I don't know how I'm going to let her go. I really don't know how I can watch new episodes of SGA, and know she's gone. But she's not :( Right now I feel just like so many fans on Samanda, and here, I just want to hold on to Sam tight, hug her and never let her go and tell her I love her :love:.

All I can say I hope to God, that Sam Carter comes back very soon, and that they'll be a 3rd movie one day. I wouldn't trade a second of Sam of anything, and even after 11 years, that's still too little Carter. I hope from the bottom of my heart that Amanda is very happy, and successful and I wish all the best things in the world for her. Because where ever her career takes her, she'll always have a "Rocky" chanting "Amanda", "Amanda", "Amanda" :D Well, that's it.

PS: There is nothing you can ever say or do to change my mind. Carter Rules!!!

GateofDOOM
June 29th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Actually, why not include Sam in the poll? She's still a recurring character right?

After all, maybe some people want to vote Sam off the mechanical island.

Rocky89
June 29th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Actually, why not include Sam in the poll? She's still a recurring character right?

She's only in 2 episodes so far, recurring is more than that, so no.

Reiko
June 29th, 2008, 09:28 PM
First They didn't do that for TH.

» That's precisely the problem and issue I have.

Like what she did in TLM, her actions in this ep, showed us once again the person we've all known and loved these past 11 years, a freind, an astrophysicist, a fighter, a leader, a role-model, and a hero.

» A Mary Sue ... (sorry, just stating what I believe to be true)

And I'll have you know, there is no way you can ever in a 1,000000 years convince me you're sadder than me losing a great actor and character, than you were losing Carson and Weir. I love Amanda/Sam, and I was so devastated, I got so sad, and couldn't stop thinking about Sam/Amanda *Getting sadder :danielanime08:*

» Oh, I lost two great actors and characters. But there's nothing you can do to change my feelings about this (how can you judge mine anyway), and nothing I can do to change yours, so heck, we'll just go our own separate ways now. ;):rolleyes:

Rocky89
June 29th, 2008, 09:46 PM
» That's precisely the problem and issue I have.

» Oh, I lost two great actors and characters. But there's nothing you can do to change my feelings about this (how can you judge mine anyway), and nothing I can do to change yours, so heck, we'll just go our own separate ways now. ;):rolleyes:

Mary Sue? I bet she never heard of Sam Carter, and I'm not judging you, of anything, I feel for you, not that woolsey is coming over.

GateofDOOM
June 29th, 2008, 09:52 PM
She's only in 2 episodes so far, recurring is more than that, so no.

Is it? I thought you just had to show up once a season to be seen as recurring? Larrin's on there after all. She's only been on the show twice, and probably isn't even in season five.

Stormtrooper
June 29th, 2008, 09:53 PM

I would have voted for her. Never liked her on SG-1, and she is/was quite the intruder on SGA.

alyssa
June 29th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I would have voted for her. Never liked her on SG-1, and she is/was quite the intruder on SGA.

Hmmm. She was an intruder, but I'd still have voted Keller off the island.

I will say, though, that some fans make me worry for Amanda.

There's being a fan and then there's being frighteningly obsessed.

I mean, really. The woman left OF HER OWN FREE WILL. She wants to move on and do something OTHER than Carter. Good for her. It's her right. She doesn't have to stick around another 11 years just to make fans happy.

Laura Dove
June 29th, 2008, 11:59 PM
As a "pure" SGA fan, I never found Carter so wonderful. In my opinion she is not a bad character, but not a good one either. As unpleasant as Woolsey is, I have the feeling that he will be much more interesting in the show because he will bring tensions in the crew, thus, interesting events for us to witness. I certainly would not vote for him to leave.

SGFerrit
June 30th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I think they will be able to do more with Woolsey than they could have with Sam. If they had used her to her full potential then it would have detracted greatly from Sheppard and McKay, so IMO it was right that they didn't. I liked that she got more involved with the actual operations, but I don't think they could have done much more with her without her 'taking over'. A lot of fans were saying she would dominate the show and make everyone else redundant, but I really don't think she did.

There were times when she was as strong as in SG-1, but they were few and far between. I'm happy she will be in a couple of episodes this year, and that Search and Rescue (hopefully) won't be the last we see of her, but it could turn out better this way with less appearances. I think there were a lot people who felt that the character was being lessened on the show, hopefully that won't happen anymore now that she isn't a regular.

Cautious Explorer
June 30th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Cautious Explorer does know what she's talking about. After all, why should you're opinion be more important than mine. I enjoyed SGA for three seasons without Sam Carter. I was fairly indifferent to her guest appearances. I found the character very bland. She wasn't likeable or unlikeable really, just there. Unfortunately that lack of presence continued when she became a regular. And to be honest, I felt that AT was only half trying in her portrayal of Carter. Combine a bland character, redundant talents (McKay and Zelenka covered the scientific area while Sheppard and Lorne had the military side covered) and a disinterested actress (IMO) and you come up with a large hole where a leader out to be. That lack of leadership was a huge detractor from S4 for me.

You have a different opinion, based largely on your love of AT/Carter from her previous portrayal I suspect. Just because I don't share your vision doesn't make me wrong.

Carter never fit in Atlantis. If she were in the poll I would most certainly vote her off.

jckfan55
June 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I love Carter, but I think she was mostly wasted on Atlantis. But she won't be a regular in S5 so isn't really applicable to this poll.

I voted for Keller. I liked Carson fine, but was prepared to accept a new doc. I don't think they've written Keller very well. And I certainly didn't see the need to build up her part when they haven't done much with some of their existing characters. :(

Arica12
June 30th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I love Carter, but I think she was mostly wasted on Atlantis. But she won't be a regular in S5 so isn't really applicable to this poll.

I voted for Keller. I liked Carson fine, but was prepared to accept a new doc. I don't think they've written Keller very well. And I certainly didn't see the need to build up her part when they haven't done much with some of their existing characters. :(

I think you've hit the nail on the head!

I love carson, he was brilliant and I hated that he was killed off. Same for Weir, and i wasn't happy about either replacement at first, but I was prepared to give them a chance but they would have to be be darn impressive to win me over.

And guess what? Carter sort of won me over, I think she could have been and should have been better used, but I liked her in Atlantis, I thought she ended up being a good fit and I'm sorry to see her go, she wasn't properly used but the potential was there.

Keller on the other hand started out rocky but with signs she might be okay, descended to poor, had a slight wander into interesting in Mortal Coil and plummeted to the depths of the barrel by seasons end!

Forget Weir and Beckett for a moment, if the replacement characters are strong and impressive they would win fans over, it's nature to want to move on if there is anything to move on to! But Keller is a massive step backwards for Atlantis, at a time they really couldn't afford one.:(

Linda06
June 30th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Just a wild guess but i'm assuming you love Carter ;) Yeah me too.....I must admit i was a little worried when i firat heard she was coming to Atlantis but i was so glad my fears were unfounded :D I'm gonna miss her :( She was really good on Atlantis IMO ;)

Anywho back on topic........Get rid of Larrin..throw her out an airlock or feed her to the wraith...I don't care,i just don't want to see her ever again......Worse character that's ever been on any Stargate show :S

Jumper_One
June 30th, 2008, 12:25 PM

:rolleyes:

Is it? I thought you just had to show up once a season to be seen as recurring?

then you'd be a guest character

Larrin's on there after all. She's only been on the show twice, and probably isn't even in season five.

she won't appear in the mid-season two-parter

Linda06
June 30th, 2008, 12:33 PM
she won't appear in the mid-season two-parter

WOOHOO http://www.smilescollection.com/smiles/action/sc_214.gif

maxbo
June 30th, 2008, 01:13 PM
So, the women and Woolsey are still leading the pack. Interesting, but not surprising, well, except for Larrin. I'm surprised that she's polling so high because she's only been in 2 episodes and in her second outing she barely had any screentime. I'm surprised viewers remember her enough to want to get rid of her.

As for Woolsey, I suspect that by the end of Season 5, the negativity toward him will be transferred to the new female characters. Why? Because I believe TPTB will make a sincere effort to write Woolsey well. Whereas, the female characters will get the same kind of lackluster, inconsistent treatment that female SGA characters usually receive.

It would be nice if they could surprise me for a change.

Tippy
June 30th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I have to say Keller... But its more based on how her character is being written... Its like they took an aukward character design, placed it with an awesome actress and stuck her in a situation that didn't and still doesn't work.

Pajus
June 30th, 2008, 07:22 PM

Don't you dare make me start on that scene and how her 'treatment' would kill Sheppard when used in real life. Don't get me wrong: I don't like Sheppard. But even I think that he doesn't deserve to suffer like this. Keller would do a whole lot better had she done no doctoring at all in that scene

Reiko
June 30th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I enjoyed SGA for three seasons without Sam Carter. I was fairly indifferent to her guest appearances. I found the character very bland. She wasn't likeable or unlikeable really, just there.

» This is how I feel. Adding Carter was a one-shot for SGA and nothing more; it seems many people who transferred over to Atlantis from SG-1 for Sam have chosen no longer to watch the show since she is no longer a regular. It was another cheap ploy on behalf of tptb. In that process, they may have gained some fans but come her departure it was all for nothing. Not to mention the many fans they lost over the fab actress and character before her. :weir:

Forget Weir and Beckett for a moment, if the replacement characters are strong and impressive they would win fans over, it's nature to want to move on if there is anything to move on to! But Keller is a massive step backwards for Atlantis, at a time they really couldn't afford one.:(

» You hit it right there, Arica. If Keller and Carter pushed SGA further and were a step up from the previous, I may have been okay after awhile. But Carter and definately Keller were a step down (erm, a chasm) from the two wonderful characters there before. :weir::beckett:

Rocky89
June 30th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Cautious Explorer does know what she's talking about. After all, why should you're opinion be more important than mine. I enjoyed SGA for three seasons without Sam Carter. I was fairly indifferent to her guest appearances. I found the character very bland. She wasn't likeable or unlikeable really, just there. Unfortunately that lack of presence continued when she became a regular. And to be honest, I felt that AT was only half trying in her portrayal of Carter. Combine a bland character, redundant talents (McKay and Zelenka covered the scientific area while Sheppard and Lorne had the military side covered) and a disinterested actress (IMO) and you come up with a large hole where a leader out to be. That lack of leadership was a huge detractor from S4 for me.

You have a different opinion, based largely on your love of AT/Carter from her previous portrayal I suspect. Just because I don't share your vision doesn't make me wrong.

Carter never fit in Atlantis. If she were in the poll I would most certainly vote her off.

Okay this is to everyone, especially Cautious Explorer up there^. Remember Amanda's been busy shooting the two SG1 movies, as well as Atlantis and Sanctuary, and she has a baby. So you can imagine it's been a busy schedule for her. Plus 14 out of 20 is more than half a season, and she's in more episodes than Jewel Staite. If there were two of her things be easier, but there isn't. In 11 years, this was the hardest year for her ever, more than any other actor, and she was giving it 110% the whole time, but it's hard to do that while trying to handle 5 important things at once. So don't go around saying she's bland or unlikeable. I think that she is wonderful fitting into Stargate Atlantis and probably is the most desired cast member from SG-1.

First of all I have nothing against Weir, but like most people have said elsewhere, the problem is "Weir" herself. For me, it had nothing to do with Torri. The character was written into a corner, being a civilian. I understand why TPTB wrote the character to begin with. They wanted something different than SG-1 given that it was mostly a civilian operation. However, as the story progressed, the job of leading Atlantis became decidedly more military. And most times it seemed like she was losing control of too many things, and she seemed like such a mess when things got rough, like in The Return PT.1. While Carter on the other doesn't lose control. Also, you see ever since season 2 the Weir character has been a walking contradiction. One minute she's badass the next she's a pansy, one minute she's a peace loving hippy opposed to the military, the next she's ordering someone to be tortured. I think the new show runners just realised their failings and decided to cut their losses.

Sam almost always keeps her cool, just look at BAMSR. Amanda did an awesome job, like always. As soon as I saw Sam I was really glad to see her, since we haven't seen her on SGA in the past little while, but as soon as I saw her I got a smile on my face . I was really impressed when she stood up for Mckay, even though he's been kind of an arse in that past, she actually stood up for him. She just looked Ellis in the eyes and told him off with that mean and hard ass voice, and he's like "okay". It just goes to show you that she'll behind anyone under her command (even if it's Mckay).

I also like the briefing scenes, it showed her in control of the plans and who was doing what. I also really like how her relationship with Shep is coming along. But the scenes with her on the ship were really cool. Like how she was working with Mckay on the planet offering to beam down and help. I was like "yes" because I wanted to see her do what she does best, work her "brain" magic. The part where Mckay said " "We're geniuses" and her smile was a really good moment. I loved this episode and because it just showed how strong a leader Sam is, and how much she can contribute to Atlantis. That's how I feel and there's nothing anyone can say or do that will ever change my mind.

I think you've hit the nail on the head!

I love carson, he was brilliant and I hated that he was killed off. Same for Weir, and i wasn't happy about either replacement at first, but I was prepared to give them a chance but they would have to be be darn impressive to win me over.

And guess what? Carter sort of won me over, I think she could have been and should have been better used, but I liked her in Atlantis, I thought she ended up being a good fit and I'm sorry to see her go, she wasn't properly used but the potential was there.

Keller on the other hand started out rocky but with signs she might be okay, descended to poor, had a slight wander into interesting in Mortal Coil and plummeted to the depths of the barrel by seasons end!

Thank you, thank you, thank you :jack_new_anime07:, this is what I'm talking about, you gave her a chance, and so did a lot of other people. People probably expected more from her because her work on SG-1, but IMHO she gave a lot to S4, and I know she would have given much more in S5 because she wouldn't be shooting the two SG-1 movies. Thank you for saying you're sorry to see her go, and for giving her a chance to win you over, which I know she did with other fans.

Just a wild guess but i'm assuming you love Carter ;)

Like I said before I just want to hold on to Sam tight, hug her and never let her go and tell her I love her :love: You can love her all you want, I have no/0 problem with her Pro-fans, but she's mine :D.

(((Amanda looking at me)))

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/newsgoddess/Mala/Mala-Sam_stupor.gif + http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/newsgoddess/Mala/Mala-Sam_rolltongue.gif + :samanime51:: Move over Jack, I found a real man!
:jack_new15::Whaaaaaaat?. How did I lose her?........ Oh yeah.

Yeah me too.....I must admit i was a little worried when i first heard she was coming to Atlantis but i was so glad my fears were unfounded :D I'm gonna miss her :( She was really good on Atlantis IMO ;)

Thank you so much too :jack_new_anime07:. I was also worried, but she proved to me once again why Sam is such a great character. I'm so going to miss her.

johnliz4ever
July 1st, 2008, 01:33 AM
First of all I like Carson and Weir, but I love Carter, so do many, many others, and you can't deny that she'll be incredibly missed.

Despite the fact that I know I'm about to get surrounded by a forum of Carter supporters and eaten alive I just had to post and tell you how wrong you are. Carter will not be missed, at least no by me. I will miss her as much as a hole in parachute. Don't get me wrong, I liked her up until season 6 and then she just started to get a little too perfect.

Jonas: Dear God the world is ending again
Jack: That's alright, Carter will sort it. Let's go have a beer

Was there nothing Carter couldn't do? I mean dear God that woman just have the biggest brain in the known universe, she can do anything.

Like I said, not a realistic character.

Also, it was Amanda's choice to leave, JM, and others over at TPTB tried, did everything to keep her keep, they fought for her. They didn't do that for TH

Of course they didn't do that for Torri, they wanted her gone because she complained (And rightly so) that they weren't doing a thing with her character, and what did they do when they brought Amanda over? Well they turned her into...well Elizabeth. She did basically the same as Elizabeth, you can argue with that all you want but 80% of what she did on Atlantis was what Elizabeth could have done.

I have to praise Amanda for leaving because they were destroying her character. I'm sure she went over to SGA thinking it would be a new opportunity and a chance to explore different parts of her character, obviously when she got into the heart of the show she found out that her character was nothing more than someone to fill in space between Rodney/John scenes.

I'm not saying, you're not sad, but I/we are too, more than you know, because she's been around for 11 years]

I'm sorry but if you say that again I might loose it. Torri went to TPTB a lot and asked if they were killing her character and ever time they said 'No of course not, we love you' and than after she'd filmed the final scene of the season she got called up the Mallozzi's office and told that she was loosing her job. Just think about that for a moment. That moment she was told she was loosing her job, her friends, a show that she had dedicated 3 years of her life to was gone and it wasn't her decision. That must have been bloody painful for her and it was excruciating for her fans, if she had chosen to leave it wouldn't have hurt so much.

Amanda choose to leave, she choose to put an end to a character she had for 11 years. I'm sure the decision hurt her but at least it was HER decision and I'm sure you guys are hurting too, I have no doubt about that but until you favorite actress/character is pushed out of a show that you love don't come to me saying that we can't possibly know how much you hurt because you are wrong. We know a heck of a lot more than you do.

Falcon Horus
July 1st, 2008, 02:16 AM
Ah yes, I chose Rodney... But I'll be glad to see Carter go too, never been a fan but SGA most definitely sidelined her and turned her into a bad Elizabeth-clone. I admit to being one who thought she'd take over the show since she was such an important character in SG1, bringing along some serious baggage, but dude... They just ignored her.

Runner ups are Larrin & Keller.

Now if only Woolsey wouldn't be there and Elizabeth came back. Carson too, Keller demoted to assistent, Kate back (might be harder to do, but alternate universes enough to choose from)... *wants SGA-family back*

Cautious Explorer
July 1st, 2008, 04:15 AM
Okay this is to everyone, especially Cautious Explorer up there^. Remember Amanda's been busy shooting the two SG1 movies, as well as Atlantis and Sanctuary, and she has a baby. So you can imagine it's been a busy schedule for her. Plus 14 out of 20 is more than half a season, and she's in more episodes than Jewel Staite. If there were two of her things be easier, but there isn't. In 11 years, this was the hardest year for her ever, more than any other actor, and she was giving it 110% the whole time, but it's hard to do that while trying to handle 5 important things at once. So don't go around saying she's bland or unlikeable. I think that she is wonderful fitting into Stargate Atlantis and probably is the most desired cast member from SG-1.

All the excuses in the world couldn't make me like Sam Carter. I just wasn't impressed. I don't think she's a compelling character, and yes, I do think she's bland and unlikeable. (You do know I'm talking about the character here, not the actress, right?)

As to AT, hectic schedule or not, it's the performance that matters. I thought it was lacking. I certainly hope she wasn't giving 110%, because I'd like to think she could do better. But not everyone's taste is the same and I suspect that I simply don't like AT's acting style. It doesn't mean she's bad or good. She's just not to my taste.

First of all I have nothing against Weir, but like most people have said elsewhere, the problem is "Weir" herself. For me, it had nothing to do with Torri. The character was written into a corner, being a civilian. I understand why TPTB wrote the character to begin with. They wanted something different than SG-1 given that it was mostly a civilian operation. However, as the story progressed, the job of leading Atlantis became decidedly more military. And most times it seemed like she was losing control of too many things, and she seemed like such a mess when things got rough, like in The Return PT.1. While Carter on the other doesn't lose control. Also, you see ever since season 2 the Weir character has been a walking contradiction. One minute she's badass the next she's a pansy, one minute she's a peace loving hippy opposed to the military, the next she's ordering someone to be tortured. I think the new show runners just realised their failings and decided to cut their losses.

That's the problem with Carter. She diidn't lose control, she didn't react much at all. That's what I call a bland character. She's as good as gone already, otherwise she would be at the top of my list to be kicked out of Atlantis.

You don't like Weir, I don't like Carter. What's the difference? I'm not trying to change your mind and you're not going to change mine. We each have a right to our opinions.

With Carter gone, my second least favorite is Keller. She needs to develop some positive characteristics very quickly or ship back to Earth.

Lahela
July 1st, 2008, 06:53 AM
Pleeeeeeease get rid of Keller! She's tedious as a character, she's unbelievable as a CMO, and it appears that the main purpose of the character is to provide a set of XX chromosomes for the XYs to do battle over :rolleyes:

GoSpikey
July 1st, 2008, 07:10 AM
Keller should go to Rodney, if the air lock won't have her. :P

So must stress in my mind that Lah is not a shipper, phew! :D

hedwig
July 1st, 2008, 09:39 AM
I voted for Woolsey, not because I don't like him, I do, but he'll never measure up to Sam Carter, and only because I strongly believe Sam is the true leader of Atlantis! :sam59:

I agree. I can't see him being a leader at all.

Rocky89
July 1st, 2008, 09:50 AM
I agree. I can't see him being a leader at all.

Thank you! :jack_new_anime07:

hedwig
July 1st, 2008, 10:04 AM
Thank you! :jack_new_anime07:

You're welcome! :D And, I forgot to add that I think Sam was an excellent leader.

Rocky89
July 1st, 2008, 10:32 AM
All the excuses in the world couldn't make me like Sam Carter. I just wasn't impressed. I don't think she's a compelling character, and yes, I do think she's bland and unlikeable. (You do know I'm talking about the character here, not the actress, right?)

I'm not trying to make you love Sam Carter; I'm just trying to make you understand. Let me ask you something, do you even like AT?

Despite the fact that I know I'm about to get surrounded by a forum of Carter supporters and eaten alive I just had to post and tell you how wrong you are. Carter will not be missed, at least no by me. I will miss her as much as a hole in parachute. Don't get me wrong, I liked her up until season 6 and then she just started to get a little too perfect.

Jonas: Dear God the world is ending again
Jack: That's alright, Carter will sort it. Let's go have a beer

Was there nothing Carter couldn't do? I mean dear God that woman just have the biggest brain in the known universe, she can do anything.

Like I said, not a realistic character.

You know, if you posted that over at one of the Pro-Carter boards, or at Samanda, you would have Carter fans all over you. But this is a natural thread, so your safe, anyway, that third part I bolded just proves a point. That's what made so many fans love her all these years, she didn't use her beauty, or other woman attributes, she used her mind, she went into unknown situations, studied the problem, and used her brain to fix it. She become a role-model to young/older men and woman alike. And you're wrong, Carter will in fact, not theory-- fact be missed by a lot, it's undeniable. If you don't believe me, I could list links to other posts on other threads to prove you wrong. They're even some people on this thread who will miss her.

Let me ask you something, hasn't Rodney been doing the exact same thing in the Pegasus galaxy? In some ways he's an even more unrealistic character than Carter because he's doing what she did, just in another galaxy, with all alien techno. Same thing could be said for MacGyver, but I really like him :), Hell, Sam is the modern day, female MacGyver now that I think about it. :P

Originally Posted by Cautious Explorer
That's the problem with Carter. She didn't lose control, she didn't react much at all. That's what I call a bland character. She's as good as gone already, otherwise she would be at the top of my list to be kicked out of Atlantis.

Originally Posted by johnliz4ever
Of course they didn't do that for Torri, they wanted her gone because she complained (And rightly so) that they weren't doing a thing with her character, and what did they do when they brought Amanda over? Well they turned her into...well Elizabeth. She did basically the same as Elizabeth, you can argue with that all you want but 80% of what she did on Atlantis was what Elizabeth could have done.

Well you see that's kind of the problem here; I'm not saying Torri should not have talked to TPTB, but it's what she did wrong before that. She waited, she waited for the writers to come up with something to do with her character, Torri let the writers decide on what to do, so for 3 years, she was whatever the writers wanted her to be. While Amanda-- she actually didn't like the way Carter was at first, so she took the time, to think of what to do with Sam, she made Carter into more of herself, she made her own character. That's why people say: "No one else could have been Carter", "Amanda really is Carter", Amanda would spend hours reading and researching things in the script to make Carter more realistic.

And no, Carter was not Elizabeth, because Carter had much more experience in both the scientific and military area. This has nothing to do with TH, it's about the character, however this changed and as much as Weir tried to rise to those challenges, she couldn't handle them. it's not her fault, she's just not the right person to lead such a military op (because that's what it became in s2). She was too much of an ineffective leader at times, she had absolutely no experience in dealing with security issues or any issues for that matter except negotiating, yet she tells the head of the military contingent to stay in his room and doesn't even ask his advice. Weir and Sheppard were meant to be co leaders (Sheppard was more the leader at times) but they never really got past their differences. I think the PTB tried to show a bit of conflict between them but it didn’t work out IMO. Weir never instilled any confidence in me as to her leadership abilities, and I don't think Sheppard had a great deal of confidence in her.

Season three TPTB seemed to realise that Weir wasn't really qualified for the job and tried to fix their mistakes but then they didn’t really know what to do with her and I guess the seeds were sown to get rid of her. I don't know whether I can put all the blame on the writing and I do think the actor puts their own stamp on the character and Torri's portrayal of Weir just never appealed to me.. I loved Jessica's portrayal and she instantly came across as a strong capable leader even though she had the same credentials obviously as Torri's Weir. Torri did get a handle on the character, but it wasn't enough and yes bad writing didn’t help but it wasn’t the entire problem.

The idea of having a civilian leader was quite novel but didnt really fit in with how the ptb were taking the show and therefore Weir had an uphill battle proving her worth. She was against military action and preferred negotiation but there wasn't really a place for negotiation so again it didnt leave her character with many options to shine... The only episode where Weir really stood out for me was in The Long Goodbye, where she was given something that seemed to bring her to life and she wasn't Weir... so if Weir does come back in season 5 the only thing I would be interested in seeing, is her in an evil role for a couple of eps. This would really give Torri something to sink her teeth into which she really seems to want and it would be an interesting development for her character

As to AT, hectic schedule or not, it's the performance that matters. I thought it was lacking. I certainly hope she wasn't giving 110%, because I'd like to think she could do better. But not everyone's taste is the same and I suspect that I simply don't like AT's acting style. It doesn't mean she's bad or good. She's just not to my taste.

I have to praise Amanda for leaving because they were destroying her character. I'm sure she went over to SGA thinking it would be a new opportunity and a chance to explore different parts of her character, obviously when she got into the heart of the show she found out that her character was nothing more than someone to fill in space between Rodney/John scenes.

They definitely did not destroy her, like I said, it was all because she had so much other things going on. Most people forget the whole story, she was shooting the two SG-1 movies, filming for 2 weeks in the arctic, shooting Sanctuary, as well as Atlantis, being a mom, and all while going back and fourth. In time, she would have turned a lot more people around. And she definitely was not space to fill in.

I'm sorry but if you say that again I might loose it. Torri went to TPTB a lot and asked if they were killing her character and ever time they said 'No of course not, we love you' and than after she'd filmed the final scene of the season she got called up the Mallozzi's office and told that she was loosing her job. Just think about that for a moment. That moment she was told she was loosing her job, her friends, a show that she had dedicated 3 years of her life to was gone and it wasn't her decision. That must have been bloody painful for her and it was excruciating for her fans, if she had chosen to leave it wouldn't have hurt so much.

Amanda choose to leave, she choose to put an end to a character she had for 11 years. I'm sure the decision hurt her but at least it was HER decision and I'm sure you guys are hurting too, I have no doubt about that but until you favorite actress/character is pushed out of a show that you love don't come to me saying that we can't possibly know how much you hurt because you are wrong. We know a heck of a lot more than you do.

Very good, you make a few good points here, but I think that's what people have issues with. They let Torri go just like that. But when Amanda wanted to go they fought hard and long to keep her. I'm sorry for saying this, but I'm glad they fought so hard to keep her, and you know what else, she even cried after her last phone call with JM. A lot of fans of at Samanda felt so bad for her. But you're right, I know you're hurting, and we are too.

Let me tell you somehting, ever since I heard Amanda was coming to Atlantis, I read some mean comments online from users who are just jerks. Not just online, but in magazines and stuff. Every comment I read, I felt sick, and mad because she's the kind of person who shows up for work happy with a smile on her face, ready to make things happen, because she genuinely cares about her fans, you want the fans to be happy, I only wish more celebs were like her, and I wish everyone would see her for the sweet and kind hearted person she is. Amanda herself even said she's read a few mean things online too, even here :eek:. I can't imagine how bad and hurt Amanda must have felt reading those mean comments, she did say she's read "some discouraging things", and "Internet forums can be bad for your health". But she didn't let that get to her, because she knows she has a lot more Pro-fans than anti's. And then when she made the choice to leave, she was crying after her last phone call. What about her, what kind of pain was she in? Also I found out on this thread, the other day the IOA was letting Sam go-- I can post the link if you want. So I may not know how bad you were hurt, but you cannot even imagaine how hurt I was too! Everything I wrote up there isn't even close in describing how I felt. It's never easy to see your favorite character/actress go. I guess that's what sorta makes us the same.

You know, ever since I heard Woolsey was taking over, hearing on GW he's the new leader, and seeing pics of him with the SGA cast-- I like him, I do, but all I can think is "No, that's wrong, Sam should be standing there, not him" "Sam Carter is the real leader, not Woolsey" IMHO, Same thing when I see Robert. I'm going to tell you something, but first let me STRONGLY, STRONGLY EMPHASIS!!! that I do not agree at all with the anti-Sam threads/comments, because I just don't get it, I could do this 100 years, I could meet 1000 anti-Sam/Amanda people, read 1000's of anti-Sam/Amanda threads, and I'll never understand how anyone could ever say such trash about her, I just don't get it, and no one can ever make me. But I guess I can kinda understand a little better how you guys feel.

You don't like Weir, I don't like Carter. What's the difference? I'm not trying to change your mind and you're not going to change mine. We each have a right to our opinions.

I actually agree, you said it, you like Weir, I like Carter. You're a Weir fan, I'm a Carter fan, is there anything wrong with that? No. I'm just saying, you shouldn't have to bash a character to make a point. And yes, we do have the right to our own opinions, you think you're right, I think I'm right. Maybe, we're both right?

Linda06
July 1st, 2008, 10:56 AM
Like I said before I just want to hold on to Sam tight, hug her and never let her go and tell her I love her :love: You can love her all you want, I have no/0 problem with her Pro-fans, but she's mine :D.

(((Amanda looking at me)))

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/newsgoddess/Mala/Mala-Sam_stupor.gif + http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/newsgoddess/Mala/Mala-Sam_rolltongue.gif + :samanime51:: Move over Jack, I found a real man!
:jack_new15::Whaaaaaaat?. How did I lose her?........ Oh yeah.

Thank you so much too :jack_new_anime07:. I was also worried, but she proved to me once again why Sam is such a great character. I'm so going to miss her.

No worries....I love Sam but um.....not in that way ;)

I do have my reservations about Woolsey taking over though.....I hope i'm wrong again but i just don't see how this is gonna work :S

hedwig
July 1st, 2008, 11:09 AM
I wish I could green you again. You just became my friend on this thread. :) Btw, who did you vote for?

Even if you couldn't "green" me again, thanks for the thought.:) Not sure I understand the "who did you vote for?" unless it was who I would vote off the show. And that would be Woolsey. Just don't think he's cut out for a leadership role. I've been a Sam Carter fan ever since I "discovered" SG1, which was only about 5 years ago. I didn't get to see it when it was on Show Time, and then the cable company I was with at the time didn't have SciFi, so when I switched cable companies I played catch-up by starting nearly in the middle of the series and then getting to go back and see earlier stuff. Needless to say, I was hooked. And as I said, been a Sam fan since I first started watching.:D Would love to be able to go to a convention or two, but sadly that isn't possible ... yet!

Rocky89
July 1st, 2008, 12:10 PM
Even if you couldn't "green" me again, thanks for the thought.:) Not sure I understand the "who did you vote for?" unless it was who I would vote off the show. And that would be Woolsey. Just don't think he's cut out for a leadership role. I've been a Sam Carter fan ever since I "discovered" SG1, which was only about 5 years ago. I didn't get to see it when it was on Show Time, and then the cable company I was with at the time didn't have SciFi, so when I switched cable companies I played catch-up by starting nearly in the middle of the series and then getting to go back and see earlier stuff. Needless to say, I was hooked. And as I said, been a Sam fan since I first started watching.:D Would love to be able to go to a convention or two, but sadly that isn't possible ... yet!

Agreed, I like Woolsey, but IMHO I don't think-- I know he'll never be the leader Sam was. I know what you mean, I didn't start watching SG-1 because of Amanda, I actually started watching it because of RDA, because I liked him a lot on Macgyver. But the more I started watching SG-1, the more she grew on me. Amanda not only does a amazing job as Carter, she is Carter. I mean she's super smart, cool, funny, and hot. No other actress could have come close to playing Carter as Amanda has IMO. I could write paragraphs, and pages on how much I love her, which is kinda what I did here :P. I'm not kidding, look at more old posts from Samanda, they speak for themselves and her :love: I even made 3 awesome sigs dedicated to her. Oh, and I'm glad I now have an ally here. :)

Skydiver
July 1st, 2008, 06:03 PM
Let's take it easy on your own personal interpretations of what might or might not have happened behind the scenes.

You weren't there, you don't know what really happened. And rumor mongering does no one any good

Reiko
July 1st, 2008, 06:33 PM
So don't go around saying she's bland or unlikeable.

» You're talking about Amanda here. We were talking about the character of Carter.

While Carter on the other doesn't lose control.

» Presisely part of the problem. She suffers from MS syndrome; she's too perfect. She simply just fails to interest me. THere's nothing deep with the character, nothing to keep me hooked, she's smart and pretty and ... zzzzzzzz.

Let me ask you something, do you even like AT?

» This is not about Amanda. This is about Carter. And, boy, if you think they're one and the same, I suggest you step back and sort the differences for awhile.

But this is a natural thread, so your safe, anyway, that third part I bolded just proves a point.

» Not really - you are definately less "safe" out here. I disagree, but alas that's not the point.

And you're wrong, Carter will in fact, not theory-- fact be missed by a lot, it's undeniable.

» Implied talk like that will get you modded and snipped. But since you're a Carter fan, I guess you're safe. :rolleyes:

She was too much of an ineffective leader at times, she had absolutely no experience in dealing with security issues or any issues for that matter except negotiating, yet she tells the head of the military contingent to stay in his room and doesn't even ask his advice. Weir and Sheppard were meant to be co leaders (Sheppard was more the leader at times) but they never really got past their differences. I think the PTB tried to show a bit of conflict between them but it didn’t work out IMO. Weir never instilled any confidence in me as to her leadership abilities, and I don't think Sheppard had a great deal of confidence in her.

» Wait a second - I cannot emphasize how much I disagree with those bolded statement. With Weir gone, I truly doubt Sheppard will ever have another leader he could have as much faith, trust, and confidence as he did with Weir. They were coleaders, and it worked well.

I'm sorry for saying this, but I'm glad they fought so hard to keep her, and you know what else, she even cried after her last phone call with JM. What about her, what kind of pain was she in?

» Oh, I understand. JM is a big, mean man. ;)

Let me tell you somehting, ever since I heard Amanda was coming to Atlantis, I read some mean comments online from users who are just jerks.

» Once again, I have issues with Carter, not Amanda. But chances are, I'm probably one of those "users that are just jerks".

Jumper_One
July 1st, 2008, 06:42 PM
» Presisely part of the problem. She suffers from MS syndrome; she's too perfect. She simply just fails to interest me. THere's nothing deep with the character, nothing to keep me hooked, she's smart and pretty and ... zzzzzzzz.

did you watch SG-1?

» Wait a second - I cannot emphasize how much I disagree with those bolded statement. With Weir gone, I truly doubt Sheppard will ever have another leader he could have as much faith, trust, and confidence as he did with Weir. They were coleaders, and it worked well.

I'd disagree but I think you're right, especially since Woolsey replaces Sam. no matter how much he'll change Shep's never gonna trust him the way he trusted Weir and Sam imo

Rocky89
July 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM
» You're talking about Amanda here. We were talking about the character of Carter.

I'm just trying to point out both sides. It's how I work. ;)

I have to agree with my friend Jumper_One, have you ever seen SG-1? I need to think about that statement for a while because I'm confused.

» This is not about Amanda. This is about Carter. And, boy, if you think they're one and the same, I suggest you step back and sort the differences for awhile.

Of course I know thery're not the same person, but some people are blaming Amanda for things that are just dumb.

» Not really - you are definately less "safe" out here. I disagree, but alas that's not the point.

I said that because this isn't exactly a "Pro" or "Anti" thread, so we can talk about anyone which ever way we want. But keep it PG :).

» Implied talk like that will get you modded and snipped. But since you're a Carter fan, I guess you're safe. :rolleyes:

Thanks......I think.

Yeah, but at times it seemed John was more in charge.

» Oh, I understand. JM is a big, mean man. ;)

I meant she was crying because she had ended a big part of her life that lasted 11 years, that's why she was crying. Didn't you read her interview?

» Once again, I have issues with Carter, not Amanda. But chances are, I'm probably one of those "users that are just jerks".

I'm going to have to quote myself here- I actually agree, you said it, you like Carson, I like Carter. You're a Carson fan, I'm a Carter fan, is there anything wrong with that? No. I'm just saying, you shouldn't have to bash a character to make a point. And yes, we do have the right to our own opinions, you think you're right, I think I'm right. Maybe, we're both right?

Laura Dove
July 1st, 2008, 11:48 PM

did you watch SG-1?

Weren't we supposed to be talking about Atlantis in this thread? As much as you miss SG-1, it doesn't make Carter's character better in SGA.

I really hope Amanda Tapping can do better, because in SGA she barely displays 2 or 3 facial expressions, one of them being plain neutral emotionless face.

stclare
July 2nd, 2008, 01:04 AM
I still will go with Larrin and/or Keller if she becomes nothing but a plot device for love interests ;)

Lt.Col.Errandboy
July 2nd, 2008, 02:56 AM
woah...some mean bunfighting going on in here...that's whatcha get for puttin up a poll that polarises people! :lol:

Reiko
July 2nd, 2008, 07:25 AM
» Whoever voted Zelenka ... come out, come out whereever you are ;)

Linda06
July 2nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
woah...some mean bunfighting going on in here...that's whatcha get for puttin up a poll that polarises people! :lol:

Ooh can i have a bun :D

Jumper_One
July 2nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Weren't we supposed to be talking about Atlantis in this thread?

yeah so?

As much as you miss SG-1, it doesn't make Carter's character better in SGA.

I never said it did ;)

I really hope Amanda Tapping can do better, because in SGA she barely displays 2 or 3 facial expressions, one of them being plain neutral emotionless face.

:rolleyes:

hedwig
July 2nd, 2008, 01:22 PM
» Whoever voted Zelenka ... come out, come out whereever you are ;)

Well, not to argue with anyone else's vote ... but I really like Zelenka.:D

GateGipsy
July 2nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
It would be rather difficult to talk about a character, ie Sam, who's had a long history in another show ie SG1, without mentioning that show.

Also, it isn't unreasonable for people to talk about Sam here. She might not be specifically mentioned in the poll, but Other means she isn't excluded entirely either.

What I'd like to know is why does everyone want to get rid of Keller?

Landers
July 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM

That's a joke, right? :)

Arica12
July 2nd, 2008, 01:33 PM
That's a joke, right? :)

I assume so......

But if it isn't.............. oh I can't be bothered writing it all down again, let's just go with she's the worst character (and that includes Lucius) they ever came up with.

hedwig
July 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM

For myself, I sort of like Keller. But in a year of being on the show, they haven't developed the character that much. Carson seemed to have an impact on the show from the start. So far, Keller's character doesn't seem to have done much at all. I'd like to see other sides of her character developed, rather than leaving her as she is. And if they aren't going to do that, then it seems as though her character should be recurring rather than one of the stars. Sorry if this sounds a bit vague. :o

Linda06
July 2nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
I assume so......

But if it isn't.............. oh I can't be bothered writing it all down again, let's just go with she's the worst character (and that includes Lucius) they ever came up with.

I think you're confusing Keller with Larrin ;)

Arica12
July 2nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you :jack_new_anime07:, this is what I'm talking about, you gave her a chance, and so did a lot of other people. People probably expected more from her because her work on SG-1, but IMHO she gave a lot to S4, and I know she would have given much more in S5 because she wouldn't be shooting the two SG-1 movies. Thank you for saying you're sorry to see her go, and for giving her a chance to win you over, which I know she did with other fans.

hey despite what I say on a regular basis I actually WANT to like Atlantis, and I did give the new direction a shot. Carter aside though Season 4 was crap, and looking back I was surprised to find that I did consider Carter one of the season's highlights.

I don't like that they dumped Weir (thought she wasn't written properly) but wanted to see her developed instead - though if I'm being absolutely honest character development for ANY character hasn't been stellar on Atlantis but I did find myself enjoying Carter's role, I thought she brought a different energy to command which meant that as i said I'm sorry didn't reach it's potential.

Keller I loathe because she's whiny, weak, snivelling, pathetic, cowardly, incompetent, unprofessional, a wannabe bully and all round horrid little girl (you might get that I do not care for the character) I thought that in First Strike while I couldn't imagine myself ever being really involved in her character I would at least get used to her, however over the course of the season she became everything I loathe in the portrayal of young female characters, one we see in too many programmes.

Now I have to say I am certain that each and every actor is a nice person, and it's great that they all love each other it's just....I don't care about their social lives. I am not interested in the actors - I am interested in the characters, and Keller is not as good as the character she didn't replace but is doing his job on the show. Keller is not a good character, therefore I don't want to watch her. Some think she is a good character and want to watch her, but isn't that what's important, whether the characters are good?

Arica12
July 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
I think you're confusing Keller with Larrin ;)

It's close but Lucius and Larrin are saved because they appear to have boarded the one way Train to Fordsville.

Linda06
July 2nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
It's close but Lucius and Larrin are saved because they appear to have boarded the one way Train to Fordsville.

Ah yes..so true........But if Atlantis does get picked up for S6 i hope to god she doesn't make an appearance.....Her and her scantilly clad clothes that make Shep look completely stupid :S

Arica12
July 2nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Ah yes..so true........But if Atlantis does get picked up for S6 i hope to god she doesn't make an appearance.....Her and her scantilly clad clothes that make Shep look completely stupid :S

Oh don't worry, I have faith that TPTB will have found an alternative female for Shep to make a fool of himself over...

Linda06
July 2nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
Oh don't worry, I have faith that TPTB will have found an alternative female for Shep to make a fool of himself over...

:lol: aye probably!

Laura Dove
July 2nd, 2008, 02:39 PM

And her interest in bondage. Argh!

ToasterOnFire
July 2nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Weren't we supposed to be talking about Atlantis in this thread? As much as you miss SG-1, it doesn't make Carter's character better in SGA.

I thought she chewed way too much scenery and I was hoping for more than that. I'm curious what SGA fans who have never seen SG1 thought of Carter in s4. I get the feeling that if they didn't have a chance to get to know her character on SG1 then they'd be underwhelmed with her performance on SGA.

Arica12
July 2nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
I thought she chewed way too much scenery and I was hoping for more than that. I'm curious what SGA fans who have never seen SG1 thought of Carter in s4. I get the feeling that if they didn't have a chance to get to know her character on SG1 then they'd be underwhelmed with her performance on SGA.

Well I can sort of help you out there, I watched Atlantis before SG1 (and I saw SG1 series 9 and 10 first).

I wasn't too impressed with Carter in Season 9 & 10, she was a bit shrill at times so I wasn't too hopeful when I saw she was coming onto Atlantis (being as I liked Weir), but actually I really liked her, she had a different energy and I thought she was a good commander with some great potential. I would have loved to have seen more conflict between her and Sheppard, I think that would have been interesting, both as a plot but also in establishing a relationship between their characters, something that was missing (no I'm not advocating ship perish the thought, but their characters needed to connect a lot more than they did)

So I liked Carter, I thought she could have been handled better, but honestly, as much as I like Weir and would still liked to see her return, I have to be honest I'd like to see more of Carter on Atlantis too.

Linda06
July 2nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
And her interest in bondage. Argh!

:S That was awful!

Well I can sort of help you out there, I watched Atlantis before SG1 (and I saw SG1 series 9 and 10 first).

I wasn't too impressed with Carter in Season 9 & 10, she was a bit shrill at times so I wasn't too hopeful when I saw she was coming onto Atlantis (being as I liked Weir), but actually I really liked her, she had a different energy and I thought she was a good commander with some great potential. I would have loved to have seen more conflict between her and Sheppard, I think that would have been interesting, both as a plot but also in establishing a relationship between their characters, something that was missing (no I'm not advocating ship perish the thought, but their characters needed to connect a lot more than they did)

So I liked Carter, I thought she could have been handled better, but honestly, as much as I like Weir and would still liked to see her return, I have to be honest I'd like to see more of Carter on Atlantis too.

:eek: No wonder you weren't sure abotu her....That is the two worst seasons in SG-1......A word of advice,erase S9 and 10 from memory if you can and start from S1 ;)

jasminaGo
July 2nd, 2008, 03:22 PM
:eek: No wonder you weren't sure abotu her....That is the two worst seasons in SG-1......A word of advice,erase S9 and 10 from memory if you can and start from S1 ;)

^ What she said.

SGFerrit
July 2nd, 2008, 03:24 PM

Amanda can only work with what the writers give her, and when they're trying their best to keep her in the background so that she doesn't tread on Sheppard/McKay's toes, that isn't much.

Ltcolshepjumper
July 2nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
Amanda can only work with what the writers give her, and when they're trying their best to keep her in the background so that she doesn't tread on Sheppard/McKay's toes, that isn't much.

Which really is proof that she shouldn't have been there in the first place.

hedwig
July 2nd, 2008, 04:22 PM

Exactly! And, well said.

jckfan55
July 2nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
I would also love to see Larrin go. She struck me as SGA's version of Vala. Bleh.

Kezia
July 2nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
I would also love to see Larrin go. She struck me as SGA's version of Vala. Bleh.

Larrin is far, far worse than Vala imho.

Jumper_One
July 2nd, 2008, 04:51 PM

um... no ;)

Reiko
July 2nd, 2008, 06:11 PM

» Yeah, we're gonna get this new "Katana" girl apparently ... Larrin lite ;)

Cautious Explorer
July 2nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
Season three TPTB seemed to realise that Weir wasn't really qualified for the job and tried to fix their mistakes but then they didn’t really know what to do with her and I guess the seeds were sown to get rid of her. I don't know whether I can put all the blame on the writing and I do think the actor puts their own stamp on the character and Torri's portrayal of Weir just never appealed to me.. I loved Jessica's portrayal and she instantly came across as a strong capable leader even though she had the same credentials obviously as Torri's Weir. Torri did get a handle on the character, but it wasn't enough and yes bad writing didn’t help but it wasn’t the entire problem.

I would agree with you, if you were speaking of Carter/AT. Carter IMO is a dull, poorly written character. At the same time AT didn't bring enough spark or enthusiasm to the role to salvage the character.

They definitely did not destroy her, like I said, it was all because she had so much other things going on. Most people forget the whole story, she was shooting the two SG-1 movies, filming for 2 weeks in the arctic, shooting Sanctuary, as well as Atlantis, being a mom, and all while going back and fourth. In time, she would have turned a lot more people around. And she definitely was not space to fill in.

I wonder where I can get a job where I can say to my boss, "I'm sorry, but with my other job and my personal life, I just can't give you 100%. I'm sure you'll understand." That just doesn't work as an excuse for me.

I actually agree, you said it, you like Weir, I like Carter. You're a Weir fan, I'm a Carter fan, is there anything wrong with that? No. I'm just saying, you shouldn't have to bash a character to make a point. And yes, we do have the right to our own opinions, you think you're right, I think I'm right. Maybe, we're both right?

Have you noticed the title of this thread? "What character should go?"

Why is it "bashing when I dislike a character, but when you expound in length and with your own fabricated version of what happened behind the scenes, it's not?

Exactly!

LOL!! Too true. I know she didn't have many lines, but come on. Put a little life into it.

Ltcolshepjumper is right. What's the point of a character that duplicates what other established and far more interesting characters already bring to the show? She brought nothing new to the mix.

Rocky89
July 2nd, 2008, 11:30 PM
:eek: No wonder you weren't sure about her....That is the two worst seasons in SG-1......A word of advice,erase S9 and 10 from memory if you can and start from S1 ;)

I agree and disagree, I really liked S9 and S10, but those seasons were a little more about the new cast, and the Ori. They spent so much time trying to tell as much story about Cam, Vala, Landry and the Ori, that they didn't really tell as much about the other members of the team like Sam, because we already knew who they were, and what they could do. Plus Amanda had a baby, so she was trying to balance motherhood by bringing Olivia to work, and doing the show, and I think she did an amazing job, and she didn't go crazy :D. S10 was a little more about the team again, and L.I.T.S and T.R.N.T were awesome Sam episodes, Amanda should have when a well deserved award from them, especially L.I.T.S.

I would agree with you, if you were speaking of Carter/AT. Carter IMO is a dull, poorly written character. At the same time AT didn't bring enough spark or enthusiasm to the role to salvage the character.

She never needed to salvage anything-- let me rephrase that, the only thing she needed to salvage was the dull, boring and poorly done role of base leader done by Weir. IMHO!!!

I wonder where I can get a job where I can say to my boss, "I'm sorry, but with my other job and my personal life, I just can't give you 100%. I'm sure you'll understand." That just doesn't work as an excuse for me.

Words cannot express enough of how much I disagree! Unless you do things similar to everything I said Amanda did at the time of S4, you should not talk. Have you ever done a lot at once and felt like you were burning out, and lost sleep over? Don't even think it could not have been as hard for Amanda as she said it was, if you do, you are so wrong.

Have you noticed the title of this thread? "What character should go?"

Why is it "bashing when I dislike a character, but when you expound in length and with your own fabricated version of what happened behind the scenes, it's not?

That's it, that's the problem, you're bashing, you're bashing, you're saying things that aren't true, you're making a great character loved by so many seem boring and dull. Not only that, but you're hurting an actors/characters crediabilty. That wrong, very, very wrong in my book.

Exactly!

One word- JEALOUS!!! And like I said before, have you ever seen SG-1? I need to think about that statement for a while because I'm confused. :confused:

LOL!! Too true. I know she didn't have many lines, but come on. Put a little life into it.

She put more life into her lines without even trying to, than TH did giving it 100%. And you know what else? Even after 11 years AT stayed so fresh and amazing while playing Carter, while TH got old fast. Of anything she was in her prime on SG-1.

Ltcolshepjumper is right. What's the point of a character that duplicates what other established and far more interesting characters already bring to the show? She brought nothing new to the mix.

Let me tell you and Ltcolshepjumper something about Sam's and Woolsey's leadership skills. Lets start with Woolsey: mean look at his record- In S7 when Dr. Fraiser was killed, he questioned their competence and how they run things, thus adding to the hardship. Later he tried to help Kinsey take over the SGC by telling the president of all their mistakes over the years, got Hammond replaced by Weir, and almost stopped SG-1 from finding what they needed to stop Anubis' fleet. In S9 at the Gamma site he questioned their competence again, and told Carter he'd make things worse of the SGC if something happened to them. Had it not have been for Carter's quick thinking in getting out a signal to the Odyssey, they could have been killed. In S10 he wanted to have Daniel executed for being a prior. And in S3 of Atlantis he chickened when replicators showed up, let Jack down, and they used him in a plan because they knew he couldn't take torture. All those things show he just isn't good leader material.

Now Sam: When a group of people work together for quite some time in a team, they begin to know one another, that leads friendship, that leads to trust, and after a while a sorta bond forms. And the most important member of that team is the leader, and a great leader must always put their, (or in this case "herself") people ahead of everything, especially herself. Carter is a great leader, because she'll try to befriend you, defend you, and we'll give you a chance to shine. :sam59: That being said, I just don't think Woolsey's there yet.

Laura Dove
July 2nd, 2008, 11:46 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Are you for real? I agree with Linda, that was awful. Would you rather have a leader who's rude, mean, a hard ass, doesn't listen to suggestions, doesn't stand up for her people, doesn't give her people a chance to shine and doesn't try to form relationships with he people? Are you serious ? :cameronanime08b:

???? So you are saying Larrin is a great leader, not a hard ass at all, a person who listens to suggestions, who gives people a chance and who tries and forms relationships with people?? Sorry, beating and tying up Sheppard is NOT the kind of relationship I'm looking for in SGA. :D :D

To quote yourself: "Are you serious?"

Rocky89
July 3rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
???? So you are saying Larrin is a great leader, not a hard ass at all, a person who listens to suggestions, who gives people a chance and who tries and forms relationships with people?? Sorry, beating and tying up Sheppard is NOT the kind of relationship I'm looking for in SGA. :D :D

To quote yourself: "Are you serious?"

Sorry, I thought you were talking about Sam. Boy is my face red :danielanime05::danielanime05::danielanime05:

GateGipsy
July 3rd, 2008, 01:39 AM
Just a word of caution here. Please be clear where you're talking about Carter and where you're talking about Amanda Tapping, and also keep in mind that, as real people, the respect rules apply to the actors as much as they do to other posters etc. Also, we do try to respect the privacy of the actors as well, so speculating and discussing their worklife is OK, but speculating and discussing their private lives isn't something we encourage here.

starfox
July 3rd, 2008, 01:56 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to butt in here.

She never needed to salvage anything-- let me rephrase that, the only thing she needed to salvage was the dull, boring and poorly done role of base leader done by Weir. IMHO!!!

That's it, that's the problem, you're bashing, you're bashing, you're saying things that aren't true, you're making a great character loved by so many seem boring and dull. Not only that, but you're hurting an actors/characters crediabilty. That wrong, very, very wrong in my book.

How do you not see the blatant hypocrisy in these statements? It's okay to say that Weir was a bland and ineffective character, but we can't say the same thing about Sam? Sweetheart, I hate to tell you this, but not everyone believes that the sun rose and set out of Sam Carter's rear end, and no amount of posting from you will change that fact. People are free to dislike Sam just as you are free to dislike Weir, and if that gets your panties in a bunch, you're just going to have to deal with it.

One word- JEALOUS!!! And like I said before, have you ever seen SG-1? I need to think about that statement for a while because I'm confused.

Allow me (someone who's seen nearly every episode of SG-1) try and clear it up for you. Some people like their characters to be flawed, to make major mistakes and to have the emotional complexity that results from occasional moral ambiguity. Sam...had none of those qualities. Even when she made tactically unsound decisions, they turned out great and she didn't get called to the carpet for it. Beautiful and smart and a good soldier and able to resolve her daddy issues in the scope of about 3 episodes just doesn't do it for us; there's no struggle to watch. Her issues with her brother were never really explored; her relationship issues were handled shallowly and badly. Perfection is really, really, really boring. That's why so many of us were never enamored of the character; there was nothing there for us to sink our teeth into, nothing there to identify with, nothing there to care about.

And don't bother replying to this with a but Sam's so great! post. I've seen all your previous ones and they've failed to make a positive impression; one more ain't gonna make a difference.

GateGipsy
July 3rd, 2008, 07:26 AM
By all means folks express your opinions about characters. Some people will like a character, some won't. Remember this is a discussion forum, and you will get people with the opposite point of view to yours. If you don't agree with what they're saying, then say why you don't agree. There is no point in just telling another poster off for not liking a character - that is not what a discussion forum is about. If you can't handle hearing negative things said about your character, then just move on from the thread. No-one is keeping you here.

Likewise, if someone refutes your argument, and then please reply to the points they're making, not the way they're saying it. This is a forum to discuss the show, put forward opinions and disagree or agree with those opinions, this is not the place to discuss the way that people should or shouldn't express those opinions.

Gipsy
GateWorld Moderator

Pic
July 3rd, 2008, 08:15 AM
Yes, not everyone's going to agree about characters.

I'm in the minority of folks who didn't really like the Weir character. I found her dull and didn't think she inspired folks like they intended or portrayed her as having done. (Again, character - I think even the actress had issues with the character)

Now, I'm a Sam-fan from way back, but her base-leadership style in s4 SGA bordered on Weir's (kinda dull, unfortunately). I'm hoping they send Sam off with a bang rather than the whimper her character has undergone. As for the actress, I'm excited for her and her opportunity to branch out after 11 yrs playing the same role. I do miss the old Sam, though. While I agree about liking characters that have flaws, I liked Sam perfect the way she was.

So, I disliked one character, liked the other character, and am frankly glad both are leaving/have left.

Bring on the weasely... I mean Woolsey. ;) Let's hope he injects some strife/drama/tension in the leadership role on SGA.

Reiko
July 3rd, 2008, 09:36 AM

» Do you have a problem with that? So what, Sam may be loved by lots of people, but from my perspective (and also many other's), she is a very boring and dull character. I'm not trying to make her "seem" boring and dull; I'm expressing my view point that she is boring and dull. And how in the world am I hurting Amanda's credibility? How am I hurting Sam, a fictional character's credibility? Strikes me a hypocritical, given you just did it to Torri/Liz. :rolleyes:

One word- JEALOUS!!!

» Jealous? :rolleyes: I think not. I enjoy being a flawed human being. At most, Carter would be jealous of me.

She put more life into her lines without even trying to, than TH did giving it 100%. And you know what else? Even after 11 years AT stayed so fresh and amazing while playing Carter, while TH got old fast.

» Here we go again. :rolleyes: And, how in the world do you know about how Torri compares to Amanda in putting work into her lines and character? If you accuse me of being "harsh" to Amanda/Carter, saying something like "she put more life into her lines without trying to than TH did giving it 100%", is incredibly insulting. And is it just me, or do I smell hypocricy again? The statement that AT stayed so fresh and amazing and TH got old fast is also just an opinion. Hey, I'm just telling you what people tell me all the time. ;)

Now Sam: When a group of people work together for quite some time in a team, they begin to know one another, that leads friendship, that leads to trust, and after a while a sorta bond forms. And the most important member of that team is the leader, and a great leader must always put their, (or in this case "herself") people ahead of everything, especially herself.

» Okay, that first part. While Sam may have had those sorts of bonds on SG1, in my opinion she will never and never has become integrated into the Atlantis family. And most, the only kinship she shared was with Keller. And for that whole statement, it applies to Elizabeth Weir as well, she helped bond that Atlantis family together.

Sweetheart, I hate to tell you this, but not everyone believes that the sun rose and set out of Sam Carter's rear end, and no amount of posting from you will change that fact. People are free to dislike Sam just as you are free to dislike Weir, and if that gets your panties in a bunch, you're just going to have to deal with it.

» I love you and your attitude. Way to go. :zelenka25:

Perfection is really, really, really boring. That's why so many of us were never enamored of the character; there was nothing there for us to sink our teeth into, nothing there to identify with, nothing there to care about.

» Yup. That's my take on it. Even though Rodney is an exceptional genius, he is so full of flaws, quirks, and personality that make him an entertaining character to watch, for an example. If Rodney did not have the personality traits he has, and would just be a genius fixing all the problems without mistakes, he would be boring and dull. Or, in other words, just another Sam Carter. ;)

Rocky89
July 3rd, 2008, 10:32 AM
[mod snip]

Yes, not everyone's going to agree about characters.

I'm in the minority of folks who didn't really like the Weir character. I found her dull and didn't think she inspired folks like they intended or portrayed her as having done. (Again, character - I think even the actress had issues with the character)

:jack_new_anime07: Pic, I purposely talked about yours after Stars post, you see this is an example of the two different debates I talk about. Thank you for posting this, and I agree, she didn't inspired folks to do anything or go places the same and hugely way Carter did.

Now, I'm a Sam-fan from way back, but her base-leadership style in s4 SGA bordered on Weir's (kinda dull, unfortunately). I'm hoping they send Sam off with a bang rather than the whimper her character has undergone. As for the actress, I'm excited for her and her opportunity to branch out after 11 yrs playing the same role. I do miss the old Sam, though. While I agree about liking characters that have flaws, I liked Sam perfect the way she was.

As to her sendoff-- I'll tell you later. And I super agree with the "I liked Sam perfect the way she was" statement, and that's why I gave you green :)

Bring on the weasely... I mean Woolsey. ;) Let's hope he injects some strife/drama/tension in the leadership role on SGA.

:LOL: weasely. I talked about that somewhere else, I just can't see him being all that great.

GateGipsy
July 3rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
Totally agree. All my issues with Weir stem totally from the character and the way they protrayed her. I have met Tori Higginson several times in real life, and she has exactly the sort of understated, powerful authority in person that you (or at least I would) expect from a civilian leader with a background in negotiating peace agreements. That is what was needed to show through in the show, and you only get to see that in glimpses. In most of Weir's scenes they make her show authority by being visibly forceful. Now, they didn't do that with Hammond, so why did they make Weir be that way? It just, to me, came across as whiny, and I just failed to believe in the character. In my opinion, it is only thanks to Tori that Weir was at all bearable.

At the moment, I've no idea who I'd like them to get rid of as I've not seen the seasons since Virgin lost Sky One. So in that respect I can't comment. On the 'can do no wrong' aspect of Carter that other people have commented on - I would utterly refute that. All the characters have suddenly had huge 'issues' thrown at them that they've miraculously got over in an episode or three, Sam is no exception. She isn't as complicated as the other three, and you can't have every character angst-ridden. Carter was brilliant in Foothold, one of my all time favourite episodes. My only regret is that they never did explore the clash between Scientist Sam and Soldier Sam properly. I'd have liked to have seen them fully explore that, in a way that they started to with Chain Reaction.

I'd have preferred the writers to use Sam less for the exposition - I know that someone has to be, but did it always have to be Sam? I hope that they don't do the same in SGA.

I'll stop now as I'll be off topic, since I haven't had the pleasure yet of seeing Sam in SGA.

Rocky89
July 3rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
» Do you have a problem with that? So what, Sam may be loved by lots of people, but from my perspective (and also many other's), she is a very boring and dull character. I'm not trying to make her "seem" boring and dull; I'm expressing my view point that she is boring and dull. And how in the world am I hurting Amanda's credibility? How am I hurting Sam, a fictional character's credibility? Strikes me a hypocritical, given you just did it to Torri/Liz. :rolleyes:

» Jealous? :rolleyes: I think not. I enjoy being a flawed human being. At most, Carter would be jealous of me.

» Here we go again. :rolleyes: And, how in the world do you know about how Torri compares to Amanda in putting work into her lines and character? If you accuse me of being "harsh" to Amanda/Carter, saying something like "she put more life into her lines without trying to than TH did giving it 100%", is incredibly insulting. And is it just me, or do I smell hypocricy again? The statement that AT stayed so fresh and amazing and TH got old fast is also just an opinion. Hey, I'm just telling you what people tell me all the time. ;)

» Okay, that first part. While Sam may have had those sorts of bonds on SG1, in my opinion she will never and never has become integrated into the Atlantis family. And most, the only kinship she shared was with Keller. And for that whole statement, it applies to Elizabeth Weir as well, she helped bond that Atlantis family together.

» I love you and your attitude. Way to go. :zelenka25:

» Yup. That's my take on it. Even though Rodney is an exceptional genius, he is so full of flaws, quirks, and personality that make him an entertaining character to watch, for an example. If Rodney did not have the personality traits he has, and would just be a genius fixing all the problems without mistakes, he would be boring and dull. Or, in other words, just another Sam Carter. ;)

Ok tell you what, lets leave this baord out of this, and why don't you PM me instead? Btw, Sam Carter Jealous of you :jack_new_anime06::jack_new_anime06::jack_new_anime06::jack_new_anime06:

Linda06
July 3rd, 2008, 11:47 AM
I agree and disagree, I really liked S9 and S10, but those seasons were a little more about the new cast, and the Ori. They spent so much time trying to tell as much story about Cam, Vala, Landry and the Ori, that they didn't really tell as much about the other members of the team like Sam, because we already knew who they were, and what they could do. Plus Amanda had a baby, so she was trying to balance motherhood by bringing Olivia to work, and doing the show, and I think she did an amazing job, and she didn't go crazy :D. S10 was a little more about the team again, and L.I.T.S and T.R.N.T were awesome Sam episodes, Amanda should have when a well deserved award from them, especially L.I.T.S.

Well i kinda didn't like the whole Ori storyline at all...I thought they were pretty much one dimentional...Also i miss my Jack.....Well Sam's Jack but anywho.....Didn't really like Cam all that much...

I dunno if it's because i watched Farscape and i love Ben Browder on that,I dunn maybe i couldn't get over that to see him as a different character :o

I didn't mind Vala so much but i missed my original SG-1 team :( And i missed the one and only true leader of SGC Hammond :(

I guess i just couldn't get past this :o

Anywho the only character i really hate with a passion is Larrin......And the only main character i started to dislike after S4 is Rodney,I couldn't stand Rodney and his incessant whining in S4...I sure hope he's better in S5 r i might have to click the mute button on my remote everytime he's on!

hedwig
July 3rd, 2008, 11:59 AM
All the characters have suddenly had huge 'issues' thrown at them that they've miraculously got over in an episode or three, Sam is no exception. Carter was brilliant in Foothold, one of my all time favourite episodes. My only regret is that they never did explore the clash between Scientist Sam and Soldier Sam properly. I'd have liked to have seen them fully explore that, in a way that they started to with Chain Reaction.

I'd have preferred the writers to use Sam less for the exposition - I know that someone has to be, but did it always have to be Sam? I hope that they don't do the same in SGA.

I'm only commenting to make observations, not tread on anyone's toes ...;), so apologies if anyone gets offended.

I thought "Chain Reaction" was a great episode. Showing that Sam disagreed completely with what Gen. Bauer wanted to do, but having to follow orders like a good soldier. If she'd said no to him (like she undoubtedly wanted to), she'd have been charged with insubordination or even court martialed. I noted that there were far fewer "sirs" from her directed at him after the gate failed to shut down when the bomb went off, and she literally walked away from him with a less than respectful attitude in the computer room while waiting for the 38 minute window to pass. I like those moments when she shows how she really feels. Another is in "Foothold" when she yells at Maybourne about being an "idiot every day of the week" - nearly fell off my chair laughing at that one.

Re - a difference between Weir and Carter is one is civilian and the other military. Weir had no experience in what she got into on Atlantis, while Carter had years of experience with fighting aliens and other situations. I think Weir did the best she could given she was basically thrown from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak. And when Sam replaced her, Sam pretty much had to put her field experience behind her to become an administrator (which Jack really hated when he became a General and had to start pushing papers) more than a soldier, which would put her in the position of having to be diplomatic, arbitrator (between Rodney and whoever in some episodes), defending her people (with Woolsey and the captain of one of the space cruisers in an early episode when he was criticizing Rodney). She had to listen to all sides and come to whatever best decision she could come up with, instead of being the person to follow orders as she was used to. This is getting all muddled and confused and probably vague.:o Sorry. But I think both Weir and Carter did the best they could with what they were given (by the writers) and how the characters were portrayed on Atlantis. I think Sam went into being in charge of Atlantis knowing she would not be going out on missions and have to stay behind and oversee/administer, as well as worry what was happening to her people, all the while wanting to be out there with them.

Okay, enough. I'm starting to confuse myself ...:o:rolleyes:

GateGipsy
July 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
I think Sam went into being in charge of Atlantis knowing she would not be going out on missions and have to stay behind and oversee/administer, as well as worry what was happening to her people, all the while wanting to be out there with them.

oh now there's a whole other discussion!

But I think that this is the wrong thread for that. Going back on topic then, you don't think that Sam should be the next character to go?

Rocky89
July 3rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Well i kinda didn't like the whole Ori storyline at all...I thought they were pretty much one dimentional...Also i miss my Jack.....Well Sam's Jack but anywho.....Didn't really like Cam all that much...

I dunno if it's because i watched Farscape and i love Ben Browder on that,I dunn maybe i couldn't get over that to see him as a different character :o

I didn't mind Vala so much but i missed my original SG-1 team :( And i missed the one and only true leader of SGC Hammond :(

Anywho the only character i really hate with a passion is Larrin......And the only main character i started to dislike after S4 is Rodney,I couldn't stand Rodney and his incessant whining in S4...I sure hope he's better in S5 r i might have to click the mute button on my remote everytime he's on!

I'm only commenting to make observations, not tread on anyone's toes ...;), so apologies if anyone gets offended.

I thought "Chain Reaction" was a great episode. Showing that Sam disagreed completely with what Gen. Bauer wanted to do, but having to follow orders like a good soldier. If she'd said no to him (like she undoubtedly wanted to), she'd have been charged with insubordination or even court martialed. I noted that there were far fewer "sirs" from her directed at him after the gate failed to shut down when the bomb went off, and she literally walked away from him with a less than respectful attitude in the computer room while waiting for the 38 minute window to pass. I like those moments when she shows how she really feels. Another is in "Foothold" when she yells at Maybourne about being an "idiot every day of the week" - nearly fell off my chair laughing at that one.

Re - a difference between Weir and Carter is one is civilian and the other military. Weir had no experience in what she got into on Atlantis, while Carter had years of experience with fighting aliens and other situations. I think Weir did the best she could given she was basically thrown from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak. And when Sam replaced her, Sam pretty much had to put her field experience behind her to become an administrator (which Jack really hated when he became a General and had to start pushing papers) more than a soldier, which would put her in the position of having to be diplomatic, arbitrator (between Rodney and whoever in some episodes), defending her people (with Woolsey and the captain of one of the space cruisers in an early episode when he was criticizing Rodney). She had to listen to all sides and come to whatever best decision she could come up with, instead of being the person to follow orders as she was used to. This is getting all muddled and confused and probably vague.:o Sorry. But I think both Weir and Carter did the best they could with what they were given (by the writers) and how the characters were portrayed on Atlantis. I think Sam went into being in charge of Atlantis knowing she would not be going out on missions and have to stay behind and oversee/administer, as well as worry what was happening to her people, all the while wanting to be out there with them.

Okay, enough. I'm starting to confuse myself ...:o:rolleyes:

Thank you both very much for your posts :). And thanks for being Pro-Sam, come by Samanda: The thread of Carter?AT love and admires (that's my home :P) when ever you want. I'd love to stay and talk, but I have to go to work. Bye...:vortex04:

Linda06
July 3rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Thank you both very much for your posts :). And thanks for being Pro-Sam, come by Samanda: The thread of Carter?AT love and admires (that's my home :P) when ever you want. I'd love to stay and talk, but I have to go to work. Bye...:vortex04:

Oh poor you...Work sucks but i guess someone has to do it :S

hedwig
July 3rd, 2008, 12:53 PM
oh now there's a whole other discussion!

But I think that this is the wrong thread for that. Going back on topic then, you don't think that Sam should be the next character to go?

Sorry if I got off topic.:o No, I do not think Sam should be the next character to go (even though she already is/has gone:(). My original vote was Woolsey. My next would be Keller (unless they expand her character/personality more).

Rac80
July 3rd, 2008, 01:14 PM
It would be rather difficult to talk about a character, ie Sam, who's had a long history in another show ie SG1, without mentioning that show.

Also, it isn't unreasonable for people to talk about Sam here. She might not be specifically mentioned in the poll, but Other means she isn't excluded entirely either.

"everyone" doesn't hate keller and want her gone, I actually like the character and feel she brings a refreshing change to the show. I want her character to stay! :D

Larrin is far, far worse than Vala imho.
I actually found Vala to be fun and charming! Larrin on the other hand... let her go!

I agree with you on Rodney, his whining makes my skin crawl! I got so sick of his whining that I stopped watching SGA for the first two seasons, I only was drawn back by Progeny in Season three. I have since bought the first two seasons on DVD and when I see the rodney scenes, I mute it! :S (mental GREEN for you- I keep trying to green you too often! ;) ) he got marginally better in the 3 & 4th seasons!

Linda06
July 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
"everyone" doesn't hate keller and want her gone, I actually like the character and feel she brings a refreshing change to the show. I want her character to stay! :D

I actually found Vala to be fun and charming! Larrin on the other hand... let her go!

I agree with you on Rodney, his whining makes my skin crawl! I got so sick of his whining that I stopped watching SGA for the first two seasons, I only was drawn back by Progeny in Season three. I have since bought the first two seasons on DVD and when I see the rodney scenes, I mute it! :S (mental GREEN for you- I keep trying to green you too often! ;) ) he got marginally better in the 3 & 4th seasons!

I actually didn't mind Vala so much but i would have maybe preferred her as a recurring character...Didn't really like her as part of SG-1....I guess i liked my original team :o

hmm,i was the opposite....I started to really dislike Rodney in S4 ;) especially quarantine...I hated him in that ep..I really wanted Katie to hing him from the nearest rafters :S

mental greens good too ;)

Ltcolshepjumper
July 3rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Let me tell you and Ltcolshepjumper something about Sam's and Woolsey's leadership skills. Lets start with Woolsey: mean look at his record- In S7 when Dr. Fraiser was killed, he questioned their competence and how they run things, thus adding to the hardship. Later he tried to help Kinsey take over the SGC by telling the president of all their mistakes over the years, got Hammond replaced by Weir, and almost stopped SG-1 from finding what they needed to stop Anubis' fleet. In S9 at the Gamma site he questioned their competence again, and told Carter he'd make things worse of the SGC if something happened to them. Had it not have been for Carter's quick thinking in getting out a signal to the Odyssey, they could have been killed. In S10 he wanted to have Daniel executed for being a prior. And in S3 of Atlantis he chickened when replicators showed up, let Jack down, and they used him in a plan because they knew he couldn't take torture. All those things show he just isn't good leader material.

Now Sam: When a group of people work together for quite some time in a team, they begin to know one another, that leads friendship, that leads to trust, and after a while a sorta bond forms. And the most important member of that team is the leader, and a great leader must always put their, (or in this case "herself") people ahead of everything, especially herself. Carter is a great leader, because she'll try to befriend you, defend you, and we'll give you a chance to shine. :sam59: That being said, I just don't think Woolsey's there yet.

First off, this has nothing to do with leadership skills persay. This has to do with needed and redundant skill sets. Woolsey and Weir have diplommatic and political skills. Carter has some leadership skills, but mainly military strategic and scientific skills and expertise. Now, as I said, what was the point for Carter to be in Atlantis, if Sheppard and Mckay already had those skills? I think it would be obvious that Carter's lack of a presence in season 4 would be proof that she was merely there to 1) draw in SG-1 fans, and 2) give the actress something else to do in the Stargate Franchise. Carter is first and foremost a scientist, and then a soldier. She really has no diplomatic skills. Woolsey was primarily a critic- that's what his job was. Don't criticize him for pointing out the deficiencies in the SGC. Woolsey seems to have great administrative skills- which is what Atlantis's leader should have.
Weir's "dullness" is a result of lack of continuity. She was established as a character who had diplomatic and political skills, brokering over a dozen treaties. Now, Weir was not there to oversee the military operations, or to make strategic decisions. That was Col. Sumner's job ( I admit, Sheppard is not the best at it). Weir's diplomatic skills should have gone along way in establishing her as a capable leader. However, the writers somehow forgot about that. SO, don't criticize Weir either. That was the writer's mistake. And, for the record, Carter is not the most important person in Atlantis. Get that straight. Also, I think it was Weir who established a bond between the Atlantis cast members, NOT Carter. Please do at least try to separate the events in SGA from those in SG-1.

starfox
July 3rd, 2008, 02:44 PM
I'll stop now as I'll be off topic, since I haven't had the pleasure yet of seeing Sam in SGA.

Sam was a lot less in SGA than she was in SG-1. Though she wasn't my favorite SG-1 character by any means, at least she had plotlines and a unique point-of-view and relationships with the other characters in that show. Because she was saddled into an administrative role in SGA, we didn't see any of that. Very little in SGA gave a feeling of who the character really was. Which is fine for SG-1 fans; they didn't need the background. But for SGA fans who didn't watch SG-1, I really don't know how they could have come to form a connection with her because I don't think the writers gave them much to connect with (I could be wrong, though, I've seen SG-1 and the SGA version of Sam seemed very much diminished). They didn't fall into the trap of "well, we already did this on SG-1, so we'll have Sam do it and save the exposition," instead they fell into the trap of "everyone already knows who this character is, so we don't need to develop her further." Which was a mistake, given the completely new role she had to take on.

The reason I wasn't as enamoured with Sam as leader (and why, I think, they decided to bring in Woolsey), is because her skill set was redundant. If this were a real life situation, this might have been a good decision, having someone who understands both the military and science p.o.v. However, from a storyline perspective, it causes the show to lose a bit of depth. Because someone from Weir's background (and now Woolsey's) wouldn't be seeing things from a strictly military or a strictly scientific point of view, that leader would ask more questions about possible outcomes, have a different sort of risk assesment, and propose different alternatives; a fresh set of eyes, so to speak. It created a point of view that didn't already exist, and put a different perspective on the moral ambiguities.

The one time we did see Carter bring up a moral issue was in "This Mortal Coil"/"Be All My Sins Remembered" re: the sentience and decision making capability of Asurans/Replicators, it wasn't explored as fully because of the soldier/this-has-gotta-be-done aspect. Weir would have gone for a concrete answer on the sentience issue, and Woolsey probably would have asked McKay to look into safer nanite production for use on Earth. The redundancy in Carter's skill set/p.o.v kept the arguments down, which was good in terms of getting things done faster, but removed some of the science v. military v. human rights issues I've been so fond of, as well as the Atlantis-Earth conflict which has shaped characters and character loyalties in the past.

That was a really long-winded way of saying why I'm glad that Carter's no longer on the show and why, though I did originally vote for Woolsey, my opinion on that character's been revised as well and, though I think he'll bring some painfully awkward moments to the show (hey, maybe the writers will stop beating on McKay!), he'll also bring some interesting conflicts and a new point of view.

GateGipsy
July 3rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
OK I don't want this thread to get too derailed. Remember you need to keep the discussion in terms of who should go. It isn't a general character discussion - there is a specific topic to the thread.

Edited to say: see Starfox managed to bring it back on topic :)

GateGipsy
July 3rd, 2008, 02:51 PM
Starfox, I am just not a fan of Wolsley at all. The character would have had to have changed a lot for me to want to have him in the show as a recurring or main character. So I'd have to vote for him I'm afraid.

starfox
July 3rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
Starfox, I am just not a fan of Wolsley at all. The character would have had to have changed a lot for me to want to have him in the show as a recurring or main character. So I'd have to vote for him I'm afraid.

Understandable. I'm more interested in him for the issues he will create (Reduced independence! Focus on helping Earth! Rules v. Reality!) than for the character himself. I've really been looking forward to a big Atlantis-Earth conflict, and I'm hoping we'll get that with Woolsey.

Ltcolshepjumper
July 3rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Why does a character have to go (besides Carter)? Atlantis has lost too many already.

GateofDOOM
July 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
Okay, I'm going to say something surprising here, considering I opened up the doors for this erm...debate that occurred here (*evil cackle*). But I actually wouldn't choose Sam to "kick the bucket" so to speak.

I am glad, however, that she has been reduced to a recurring role rather than a full-time base commander because of the way she was utilized in season four. In season four Carter often parroted lines that Weir would have said, as if the writers were writing for the same character. The one difference being that everyone and their dog argued with what Weir said and no one ever argued with what Sam said (which I thought was weird, cause it really felt like the same stuff!).

As a recurring character Sam'll be able to be herself again. (Perhaps the sammerisms, er, mannerisms Sam once had on Sg-1 that mysteriously vanished on SGA will even return!). The writers won't have to push her behind Shep and Mckay, she'll be allowed to shine, so to speak, and perhaps contribute something valuable.

And...uh, that's what I think. Yeah.

I still think that people who want her totally gone should be allowed to say so here though. And that's why I brought it up.

*end scene*

Edit: ^^ Indeed! Why isn't "none" an option? (Not that I would choose it :P)

Pic
July 3rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Okay, I'm going to say something surprising here, considering I opened up the doors for this erm...debate that occurred here (*evil cackle*). But I actually wouldn't choose Sam to "kick the bucket" so to speak.

I am glad, however, that she has been reduced to a recurring role rather than a full-time base commander because of the way she was utilized in season four. In season four Carter often parroted lines that Weir would have said, as if the writers were writing for the same character. The one difference being that everyone and their dog argued with what Weir said and no one ever argued with what Sam said (which I thought was weird, cause it really felt like the same stuff!).

As a recurring character Sam'll be able to be herself again. (Perhaps the sammerisms, er, mannerisms Sam once had on Sg-1 that mysteriously vanished on SGA will even return!). The writers won't have to push her behind Shep and Mckay, she'll be allowed to shine, so to speak, and perhaps contribute something valuable.

I still think that people who want her totally gone should be allowed to say so here though. And that's why I brought it up.

*end scene*

Nicely said. greening you :D
I totally agree with you about how Sam was written in s4.

Jumper_One
July 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM

I am glad, however, that she has been reduced to a recurring role rather than a full-time base commander because of the way she was utilized in season four.

I really enjoyed her in s4, especially in the back half

In season four Carter often parroted lines that Weir would have said, as if the writers were writing for the same character.

um yeah so? both were leader of the Atlantis expedition

The one difference being that everyone and their dog argued with what Weir said and no one ever argued with what Sam said (which I thought was weird, cause it really felt like the same stuff!).

huh? Shep and Weir often had a different opinion but that's it. he didn't question Sam's orders because a) they think alike thus Shep often agreed with her and b) she was his boss

As a recurring character Sam'll be able to be herself again. (Perhaps the sammerisms, er, mannerisms Sam once had on Sg-1 that mysteriously vanished on SGA will even return!).

they didn't vanish. Sam had a different job, she was the commander of Earth's most important base. being a member of a SG team and leading the Atlantis expedition is a huge difference

The writers won't have to push her behind Shep and Mckay, she'll be allowed to shine, so to speak, and perhaps contribute something valuable.

which she also did in Reunion, DG, TR, The Seer, BAMSR, Trio, Midway and TLM ;)

*end scene*

sure :)

Ltcolshepjumper
July 3rd, 2008, 07:42 PM

*end scene*

I agree though. I definitely wouldn't want Carter as a regular, but a recurring would be ok. And, I really just can't see how people think Carter made better decisions than Weir. Given the situation, both would have made the same choices.

GateofDOOM
July 3rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
they didn't vanish. Sam had a different job, she was the commander of Earth's most important base. being a member of a SG team and leading the Atlantis expedition is a huge difference

It really bugged me is all, mannerisms don't just go away when you get a promotion. It's really hard to get rid of something that you unconsciously do. You have to train yourself not to do it.
You can project yourself differently, but ultimately mannerisms take some time to go away.
It's obvious Tapping got the direction to act more confident, that makes sense. So she eliminates some of the uncertain mannerisms in Sam's character. Unfortunately that's not so easy in real life and it bugged me.

(Obviously no one else cares as I'm the only person I've heard say this, anywhere. It's still valid! Valid! *pleads*)

My point is, Sam should've been her own kind of leader. The stuff we saw glimpses of on SG-1, weird looks and shoulder shrugs and all.

Edit: Now that I think about it I would have loved a scene at the beginning of season four where Sam did her little shrug thing, but stopped herself halfway through, resulting in a weird twitch. Someone (john?) could have gone, "Uh...what was that?" and Carter would've said, "*cough* Ah..nothing. Back problems. You know?"

Er..I'm really weird aren't I?

GREEN?

*blushes*

Jumper_One
July 3rd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Once again, the pros are trying to goad me into saying something that will get me an infraction *angry face*

why? because I'm right? she really did contribute something in each and everyone of those eps

I agree though. I definitely wouldn't want Carter as a regular, but a recurring would be ok. And, I really just can't see how people think Carter made better decisions than Weir.

are you talking about me? if so I never said Sam made better decisions. sure Weir made several mistakes but only because she was a civilian with no experience in combat situations. also she was administrator for three years, Sam was base commander for only one year

Given the situation, both would have made the same choices.

I honestly don't think so. several eps would/could've been very different ie DG, The Seer, BAMSR, Midway, TLM

It really bugged me is all, mannerisms don't just go away when you get a promotion. It's really hard to get rid of something that you unconsciously do. You have to train yourself not to do it.
You can project yourself differently, but ultimately mannerisms take some time to go away.
It's obvious Tapping got the direction to act more confident, that makes sense. So she eliminates some of the uncertain mannerisms in Sam's character. Unfortunately that's not so easy in real life and it bugged me.

(Obviously no one else cares as I'm the only person I've heard say this, anywhere. It's still valid! Valid! *pleads*)

hey I actually agree with you ;) but I really enjoyed the back half

My point is, Sam should've been her own kind of leader. The stuff we saw glimpses of on SG-1, weird looks and shoulder shrugs and all.

GREEN?

*blushes*

I guess these are the things we would've seen in a s5 with Sam as a regular character

GateofDOOM
July 3rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
I guess these are the things we would've seen in a s5 with Sam as a regular character

Actually, I think you're right too. Based on (minor spoiler)

What happened in search and rescue. I felt like she wasn't on the back burner in this episode. She didn't take up the whole episode either, something I would have expected, it being her last episode and all. Just the right balance as far as I'm concerned. (Of course they didn't highlight Carson in "Sunday" either so maybe I should've known) Could've been the trend for the season. I guess we'll never know.

Jumper_One
July 3rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Actually, I think you're right too. Based on (minor spoiler)

What happened in search and rescue. I felt like she wasn't on the back burner in this episode. She didn't take up the whole episode either, something I would have expected, it being her last episode and all. Just the right balance as far as I'm concerned. (Of course they didn't highlight Carson in "Sunday" either so maybe I should've known) Could've been the trend for the season. I guess we'll never know.

yup exactly ;)

starfox
July 3rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
Why does a character have to go (besides Carter)? Atlantis has lost too many already.

Cast stability, in Atlantis? That would be entirely too logical. ;)

PG15
July 3rd, 2008, 08:52 PM
And boring.

AutumnDream
July 3rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
Not with well-developed characters, it wouldn't. It would be fascinating to watch their philosophical, psychological, and professional growth over the course of years. But I guess if your characters are cardboard cutouts it's a good idea to switch one out for another one every so often, even if the new one does the exact same thing the old one did. What's important is that it looks different! Then people will be fooled into thinking something of value happened. It's brilliant!

Pajus
July 3rd, 2008, 11:25 PM
why? because I'm right? she really did contribute something in each and everyone of those eps

This is one of the times when I really regret that this is a PG-rated forum and I can't explain how Keller's 'qualification' and 'skill' would in fact kill Sheppard had Doppelganger happened in real life in as great a detail as I would like to. Suffice to say that noone deserves to die as slowly and painfully as this. Not even a criminal like Sheppard