PDA

View Full Version : What character should go?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

Integrabyte
June 3rd, 2008, 06:07 AM
Woolsey seems popular too. I wonder why?

Integrabyte
June 3rd, 2008, 06:07 AM
yes. But we talk about her in many threads :D

Oh, she will be loved then :P.

Pajus
June 3rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
Teyla is still only third?? :confused: damn, this forum needs more czechs here :D

but with other czechs Teyla would lead :)

Sorry, but I voted Keller.

FN-P90
June 3rd, 2008, 07:22 AM
Sorry, but I voted Keller.

Keller first the Teylia

Pajus
June 3rd, 2008, 07:26 AM
Keller first the Teylia

Too bad you can't choose multiple characters. And that there is no "leave them as they are" and "kill them all" option

FN-P90
June 3rd, 2008, 07:28 AM
Apparently Zalenka and Ronon are safe :lol:

Integrabyte
June 3rd, 2008, 07:34 AM
Apparently Zalenka and Ronon are safe :lol:

It seems so. Ronon and Radek are the most loved ones :D.

FN-P90
June 3rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
How can you not love Radek? :D Hes the Perfect anitRodney :P

Integrabyte
June 3rd, 2008, 07:37 AM
How can you not love Radek? :D Hes the Perfect anitRodney :P

I love Radek. SGA will not be the same without him. He makes SGA :P.

FN-P90
June 3rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Make Radek a Regular Character Group :P Why not? :D

Integrabyte
June 3rd, 2008, 07:42 AM
Make Radek a Regular Character Group :P Why not? :D

He can take over Keller's department :D.

FN-P90
June 3rd, 2008, 07:43 AM
:lol:

stclare
June 3rd, 2008, 09:16 AM
He can take over Keller's department :D.

but who would make up his love triangle?

Radek/?/?

If you cant ship em there sunk :S

Linda06
June 3rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Damn,why's Rodney only got 2 votes :( I knew i should have voted him instead of Larrin...

If Radek's so popular can't we replace Rodney with Radek :D I prefer him or Rodney anyway!

Integrabyte
June 3rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Lorne has one vote :P. Someone doesn't like Lorne!!! Hahahaha :D.

Arica12
June 3rd, 2008, 12:11 PM

There are certain characters who would kill to be in such a position ;)

This whole thread is totally ridiculous (not the poll, loving the poll) but the fact that we even have this thread. Cast your minds back to 2006, yes there were some problems with some minor characters but they had a popular cast of characters and if you had suggested that 2 years down the line we would be discussing which characters needed to go I don't think there is anyone who would have believed you. None of this needed to happen, at least three of the characters on that list shouldn't exist!

Self inflicted wounds really are the worst:(

Integrabyte
June 3rd, 2008, 12:14 PM

This whole thread is totally ridiculous (not the poll, loving the poll) but the fact that we even have this thread. Cast your minds back to 2006, yes there were some problems with some minor characters but they had a popular cast of characters and if you had suggested that 2 years down the line we would be discussing which characters needed to go I don't think there is anyone who would have believed you. None of this needed to happen, at least three of the characters on that list shouldn't exist!

Life moves on and sex sells :P.

Klenotka
June 3rd, 2008, 12:19 PM
I really didn´t mind anyone in S1. My aversion to Teyla started soon in S2 but it happens that I simply don´t like some character (never happened in Babylon 5).
I think the fact that people are discussing this says something about the show.
Hell, I can´t even decide who I hate more, Teyla, Larrin, or Sheppard!

elliecat
June 3rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
I really didn´t mind anyone in S1. My aversion to Teyla started soon in S2 but it happens that I simply don´t like some character (never happened in Babylon 5).
I think the fact that people are discussing this says something about the show.
Hell, I can´t even decide who I hate more, Teyla, Larrin, or Sheppard!

Never hated anyone until Keller came along, is she still winning?! ;)

Integrabyte
June 3rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Never hated anyone until Keller came along, is she still winning?! ;)

By far :D.

Linda06
June 3rd, 2008, 12:35 PM

:eek: Ok own up....Who voted for my baby Major HOTTIE :mckay:

hmmm three characters that shouldn't exist huh....hmm lemme see...

1.Larrin
2.Rodney
3.other (i.e. Kannan)

:D

Arica12
June 3rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
:eek: Ok own up....Who voted for my baby Major HOTTIE :mckay:

hmmm three characters that shouldn't exist huh....hmm lemme see...

1.Larrin
2.Rodney
3.other (i.e. Kannan)

Well one out of three we agree on ;)

elliecat
June 3rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
By far :D.

Yesssss! :D

Too bad this ain't for real!

Linda06
June 3rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Well one out of three we agree on ;)

hmmmm......Lemme guess.,......Larrin? :p Oh wait was it Rodney? I forget!

Integrabyte
June 3rd, 2008, 01:28 PM

Uhmm...could be :P.

Arica12
June 3rd, 2008, 01:31 PM

Well yes Larrin, but more importantly we agree that Lorne is great so I can ignore just about anything else!:)

Linda06
June 3rd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Well yes Larrin, but more importantly we agree that Lorne is great so I can ignore just about anything else!:)

An no one's owned up to voting for my Major baby *taps foot on floor*

Integrabyte
June 3rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Someone does not like Lorne...live with it :D.

jelgate
June 3rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
An no one's owned up to voting for my Major baby *taps foot on floor**hides in the shadows*

Linda06
June 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
*hides in the shadows*

AH HAH....I should have known :mckay: :p

panzor
June 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
I know he isn't a main character but, Dr. Carson Beckett should not be coming back, he's dead, get over it.

And why all this hate against Keller?

alyssa
June 3rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
I know he isn't a main character but, Dr. Carson Beckett should not be coming back, he's dead, get over it.

And why all this hate against Keller?

Let's see... she's a whiny annoying character, not old enough to be a CMO.

Supposedly a wallflower, who knows all about drinking games (how does that work?)

Her idea of tragedy is not getting invited to parties, while Ronon's is losing everything

She's at the centre of a pathetic love triangle because TPTB obviously think that pairing her up with two popular character will make people love her. WRONG.

I love Jewel, but this character is a joke. The curse of Firefly may not have got the show axed, but it's handed Jewel the least likable character in the history of the Stargate franchise.

TPTB are perfectly happy to cut popular characters like Beckett and Weir, but Keller, in all her insipidness, will never go anywhere, because TPTB are infatuated with her. That in itself is enough to annoy the hell out of people

FN-P90
June 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM

Supposedly a wallflower, who knows all about drinking games (how does that work?)

Her idea of tragedy is not getting invited to parties, while Ronon's is losing everything

She's at the centre of a pathetic love triangle because TPTB obviously think that pairing her up with two popular character will make people love her. WRONG.

I love Jewel, but this character is a joke. The curse of Firefly may not have got the show axed, but it's handed Jewel the least likable character in the history of the Stargate franchise.

TPTB are perfectly happy to cut popular characters like Beckett and Weir, but Keller, in all her insipidness, will never go anywhere, because TPTB are infatuated with her. That in itself is enough to annoy the hell out of people

Thats actully a realy good point..or points whatever :P

Reiko
June 3rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Teyla is still only third?? :confused: damn, this forum needs more czechs here :D

» LOL @ the last part :P

» Yup. To the bolded part especially. :mckay:

» And for those who think Carson is dead, get over it blah blah blah - I'm sure you wouldn't just get over it if it was someone like SAM.

PG15
June 3rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
So...what, it's jealousy then?

[snip]

Integrabyte
June 4th, 2008, 01:17 AM
More votes. Good :).

Lenas
June 4th, 2008, 03:03 AM

Good points! Let me go on:

- Shes a doctor, still she whines about walking a short distance. (Exercise is good for you're health!)

- She has no combat skills.

- She has no survivor skills (oh, yeah, she did watch the Survivor show..)

- She founds out that Rodney's broken up his engagement, BAM! She asked him out.

- Mmm, what about Ronon then, ah well, she can probably juggle them both...

- She talks about Zelenka like he is some sort of hair-smelling-perv (what did that sweet man ever do to deserve that?)

Anyone fill in, surely I have forgotten something;)

Yah for :ronan:and :zelenka25:

Integrabyte
June 4th, 2008, 03:07 AM

- Shes a doctor, still she whines about walking a short distance. (Exercise is good for you're health!)

- She founds out that Rodney's broken up his engagement, BAM! She asked him out.

- Mmm, what about Ronon then, ah well, she can probably juggle them both...

- She talks about Zelenka like he is some sort of hair-smelling-perv (what did that sweet man ever do to deserve that?)

Anyone fill in, surely I have forgotten something;)

Yah for :ronan:and :zelenka25:

You forgot to say that she likes to be around dead people :P.

The BIG 6-0 :p.

Klenotka
June 4th, 2008, 04:22 AM

I think I can help with that :D Many people from Czech forums have registration in GW, but don´t write here. I can ask them to vote for Teyla. With their "love" for Teyla, I am sure she can "win" :D

Falcon Horus
June 4th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I think I can help with that :D Many people from Czech forums have registration in GW, but don´t write here. I can ask them to vote for Teyla. With their "love" for Teyla, I am sure she can "win" :D

That wouldn't be fair... You're rigging the poll... (not that it's fair play now of course)

FN-P90
June 4th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Can she really "Beat" Keller now? :P

Klenotka
June 4th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Yeah, you are right. I gave up. :P I know lots of people who don´t like her and are registrated here but not enough to beat Keller. But for me, it´s enough to see her in one of "medal" positions :D

FN-P90
June 4th, 2008, 08:09 AM
and Zelenka is still safe :D

Reiko
June 4th, 2008, 09:00 AM
» They've heard I give lobotomies to anyone who hates Radek. :P

Klenotka
June 4th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Not mentioning the crowd of angry Czech fans heading the way to anyone who would hate Radek. :D I think Mallozzi and co. should be really careful with Radek. :D

Integrabyte
June 4th, 2008, 09:34 AM

...or Carson...

Linda06
June 4th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Why do people always complain about Keller whining when no one seems to complain about Rodney,the biggest most annoying whiner in the universe......No one holds a candle to him when it comes to whining :p

Arica12
June 4th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Why do people always complain about Keller whining when no one seems to complain about Rodney,the biggest most annoying whiner in the universe......No one holds a candle to him when it comes to whining :p

Well despite everything - and as illogical as it sounds - I think people just like Rodney. The whining is more endearing than annoying - though it certainly can be overdone on occasion - Keller just isn't likeable.

Linda06
June 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Well despite everything - and as illogical as it sounds - I think people just like Rodney. The whining is more endearing than annoying - though it certainly can be overdone on occasion - Keller just isn't likeable.

It's getting really annoying for me and well i'm in a can't stand the site of Rodney mood at the moment :o

Arica12
June 4th, 2008, 01:50 PM
It's getting really annoying for me and well i'm in a can't stand the site of Rodney mood at the moment :o

I understand, sometimes you just don't like the character, no problem with that.

It's why I laugh when people say 'give so and so a chance' - I don't think it works like that, people make their minds up about characters the way they do shows, quickly, and sometimes you just don't like a character, no rhyme and reason for it, that's just the way it goes.

The problem for Atlantis is that Keller (among others) is in that category with what appears to be a whole lot of viewers. Appearances can be deceptive but still, I'm not sure how they square that particular circle.

Linda06
June 4th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I understand, sometimes you just don't like the character, no problem with that.

It's why I laugh when people say 'give so and so a chance' - I don't think it works like that, people make their minds up about characters the way they do shows, quickly, and sometimes you just don't like a character, no rhyme and reason for it, that's just the way it goes.

The problem for Atlantis is that Keller (among others) is in that category with what appears to be a whole lot of viewers. Appearances can be deceptive but still, I'm not sure how they square that particular circle.

Yup true...I mean we're not all gonna like the same characters,it'd be kinda boring if we all liked the same things ;)

To be honest i'm not all that bothered about Keller....It doesn't bother me if she's in an ep or not :)

TameFarrar
June 4th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Just a reminder :)
If you have a personal issue with any member please take it to PM to have the dispute on thread is a violation of Forum Guidelines. Or you could just NOT respond and report a post and let the moderators decide if the post is an issue.

Thank you
TameFarrar
GateWorld Moderator

PG15
June 4th, 2008, 06:21 PM

BECKETT: I don’t know I have the right boots for this. I just meant to come out here and inoculate some wee babies.

Exercise is good for your health, Carson! ;)

Neither did Carson...or McKay...or Weir...or, you know, any other civilian.

Barring the fact that we haven't really seen many of our team in need of them...I'd rather think the hypochondriac McKay wouldn't have it either.

You're free to see it that way, but I saw it as more of a friendly gesture after they've both gone through hell in that box. After all, it was just a drink.

I guess he smelled her hair. ;)

Seriously though, he was just probably awkward at the time. It's an affliction common to geeky men like Radek, Mckay, and myself.

Kritter
June 4th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Seriously though, he was just probably awkward at the time. It's an affliction common to geeky men like Radek, Mckay, and myself.

And a gal like her will take sweet, geeky men like Radek, McKay and yourself, make you adore her, then rip your heart out and expect you to be grateful for the attention.

Not bitter at all. :S

PG15
June 4th, 2008, 06:39 PM
...What?

Lythisrose
June 4th, 2008, 06:53 PM
...What?

Not sure, but maybe you'd better watch out for any beautiful, blonde lady doc's that come your way, PG15!! ;)

FN-P90
June 4th, 2008, 06:55 PM
And a gal like her will take sweet, geeky men like Radek, McKay and yourself, make you adore her, then rip your heart out and expect you to be grateful for the attention.

That is awful :S

jelgate
June 4th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Why do good things happen to PG15?:(:P

Jumper_One
June 4th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Why do good things happen to PG15?:(:P

it's not fair :mad:

FN-P90
June 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM
why Do Good Things Happen To Pg15?:(:p

Why!!!!!???

PG15
June 4th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Because I deserve it. :p

Not sure, but maybe you'd better watch out for any beautiful, blonde lady doc's that come your way, PG15!! ;)

Oh yes, I'll...watch out, for them. ;)

FN-P90
June 4th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Because I deserve it. :p

Oh yes, I'll...watch out, for them. ;)

As will I :P

Pajus
June 4th, 2008, 07:32 PM

Not mentioning the crowd of angry Czech fans heading the way to anyone who would hate Radek. :D I think Mallozzi and co. should be really careful with Radek. :D

And HK-47 would not be far behind

Looks like someone has my experience

Let's make this thread more objective. Everyone write a LIST of characters that you want gone and let's count them then. I'll start: Larrin, Keller, Sheppard, McKay, Woolsey

FN-P90
June 4th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Why did someone vote for Radek? Hes Awsome :( :P

SpelCzech
June 4th, 2008, 07:40 PM

You are obviously NOT Jennifer Keller posting under an assumed name! ;)

FN-P90
June 4th, 2008, 07:43 PM
You are obviously NOT Jennifer Keller posting under an assumed name! ;)

Nope....Or am i :eek:

No seriously she has to go

Integrabyte
June 5th, 2008, 01:08 AM

He is a perv now :P. Why would people like him? :P

g.o.d
June 5th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I guess he smelled her hair. ;)

looks like many important things happen off-screen in SG. Dead of the Ori and now Radek is lurking in the shadows of Atlantis and sniffing peoples' hair

Integrabyte
June 5th, 2008, 01:20 AM
looks like many important things happen off-screen in SG. Dead of the Ori and now Radek is lurking in the shadows of Atlantis and sniffing peoples' hair

Why are you so surprised?

g.o.d
June 5th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Why are you so surprised?

I'm not suprised

Integrabyte
June 5th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Two votes for Lorne :P. But...but...what did he do? :P

jasminaGo
June 5th, 2008, 04:55 AM

Actually they both annoy me with the whining. It's just that Keller annoys me a lot more.

Who voted for Lorne? :mad: He hasn't done anything wrong. :( Neither did Zelenka :( Poor guy wanted to give Keller a compliment and ended up a perv. :rolleyes:

elliecat
June 5th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Actually they both annoy me with the whining. It's just that Keller annoys me a lot more.

Who voted for Lorne? :mad: He hasn't done anything wrong. :( Neither did Zelenka :( Poor guy wanted to give Keller a compliment and ended up a perv. :rolleyes:

Poor Zelenka indeed! At least the one who made out he was a perv is 'winning' he he! ;)

Linda06
June 5th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Let's make this thread more objective. Everyone write a LIST of characters that you want gone and let's count them then. I'll start: Larrin, Keller, Sheppard, McKay, Woolsey

Oh well the only one's i want gone are McKay and Larrin :S

awww my poor baby.....C'mere i'll comfort you...It's ok i don't bite.........much!

AscendedAsgard
June 5th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Teyla! eeeeew! Never liked her...

Integrabyte
June 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM
So far Keller is the weakest link :P.

Linda06
June 5th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Larrin's second...heeheeheehee...Can we throw her out the airlock :D She should be first though!

g.o.d
June 5th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Larrin's second...heeheeheehee...Can we throw her out the airlock :D She should be first though!

yes, we can. But only with Teyla

Integrabyte
June 5th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Patience and we will fulfill your wish :p.

Linda06
June 5th, 2008, 11:46 AM

Oh no....I'll keep Teyla thank you very much :mckay: :p

Patience and we will fulfill your wish :p.

WOOHOO *waiting impatiently*

Pajus
June 5th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Don't fight! The airlock's big enough for everyone!

Integrabyte
June 5th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Don't fight! The airlock's big enough for everyone!

It fits Sheppard too :P.

Pajus
June 5th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Even The Hair have enough room to be comfortable

Linda06
June 5th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Oh and McKay.......Oh wait i dunno if his ego would fit though :S

g.o.d
June 5th, 2008, 12:10 PM
we can still do it like they did it in BSG (ep. Collaborators)

kali1
June 5th, 2008, 12:33 PM

Two votes for Lorne? That's just wrong :p

Linda06
June 5th, 2008, 12:41 PM

That is just soooo wrong.....I'll comfort him!

Integrabyte
June 5th, 2008, 01:02 PM

1 vote for Radek is wrong :P.

Killdeer
June 5th, 2008, 01:07 PM
1 vote for Radek is wrong :P.

Three votes for Rodney is wrong. ;) (j/k)

It's all relative. :D

Integrabyte
June 5th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Three votes for Rodney is wrong. ;) (j/k)

It's all relative. :D

:jack::jack:Carter can explain that if we'd have more time :p. :jack::jack:

Falcon Horus
June 5th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Relativity aside (13 votes for Teyla is wrong too) Keller having 40+ is okay by me.

Integrabyte
June 5th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Relativity aside (13 votes for Teyla is wrong too) Keller having 40+ is okay by me.

Don't let that put you down :P. Had Carter been in S5, the poll would have a different outcome :P.

Falcon Horus
June 5th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Don't let that put you down :P. Had Carter been in S5, the poll would have a different outcome :P.

Probably... though I think Keller would still have scored way high.

Integrabyte
June 5th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Probably... though I think Keller would still have scored way high.

She is popular :P. We all love her :)

Jumper_One
June 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM

I don't think so ;) :D

Cautious Explorer
June 5th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I don't think so ;) :D

Carter would have had my vote.

Keller would have still been recurring -- not regular. That keeps her in second place.

Linda06
June 6th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I like Carter.....She was good in S4!:D

Torri012
June 6th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I like Carter.....She was good in S4!:D

yeah, she was a nice good replacement for Weir but still not .. you know .. she just wasnt Elizabeth :P

Linda06
June 6th, 2008, 07:29 AM
yeah, she was a nice good replacement for Weir but still not .. you know .. she just wasnt Elizabeth :P

Yeah....I liked Weir too......It's hard to get mad when you like one person then the person that comes in to replace the other person you like them too :S

Cautious Explorer
June 6th, 2008, 07:33 AM
TPTB didn't seem to know what to do with Carter. She was just there -- like the potted plants in the background -- for the most part. I got the feeling AT didn't know what to do with Carter either. She just didn't fit in.

I'm glad she's gone. She was a major irritant to me. I didn't like the character when she was there, but at the same time I felt the lack of leadership on Atlantis when a command character wasn't written in.

I'm glad she's gone. Now if we could just get rid of Keller and get a real doctor, there might be some hope for the show.

Rac80
June 6th, 2008, 08:02 AM

What is the difference between sexual harrassment and flirting? Whether or not you like the guy/gal doing the flirting! ;)

Carson and Larrin should go!

Reiko
June 6th, 2008, 08:53 AM

» Lorne and Zelenka are guilty of no crime. :(

» Keller still must go :P

Arica12
June 6th, 2008, 10:10 AM
TPTB didn't seem to know what to do with Carter. She was just there -- like the potted plants in the background -- for the most part. I got the feeling AT didn't know what to do with Carter either. She just didn't fit in.

I'm glad she's gone. She was a major irritant to me. I didn't like the character when she was there, but at the same time I felt the lack of leadership on Atlantis when a command character wasn't written in.

I'm glad she's gone. Now if we could just get rid of Keller and get a real doctor, there might be some hope for the show.

I liked Carter...or rather I liked the potential Carter showed.

Keller however is the little cuckoo in the nest, stealing time and focus from all the others but contributing nothing in return.

She has to go.

Integrabyte
June 6th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Rodney has 3 votes. I was guesstimating more :P.

Achaja
June 7th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I chose Teyla, but I like her very much. It's just that she didn't show or didn't have an opportunity to show something BIG in SGA 4.

Integrabyte
June 7th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I chose Teyla, but I like her very much. It's just that she didn't show or didn't have an opportunity to show something BIG in SGA 4.

She had some "technical" difficulties :P.

g.o.d
June 7th, 2008, 12:16 PM
She had some "technical" difficulties :P.

she has been having them since S2

Integrabyte
June 7th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Where I come from, pregnancies do not last two years :p. It might be different on your side of the coin :p.

Falcon Horus
June 7th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Ack... I have to agree with g.o.d on this one.

Integrabyte
June 7th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Ack... I have to agree with g.o.d on this one.

Erase that :P. You will be thrown out of the Teyla fan club :P.

Cautious Explorer
June 7th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Now that Teyla's not pregnant, maybe she'll get to have more than two emotions, because TPTB seem to think pregnant women spend nine months being either concerned for their child or pissed off. Couple that with her character being freqently absent or paired up with bland as can be Keller or bland as can be Carter, and it's no surprise that Teyla was less than exciting in season 4.

If they don't saddle her with taking care of the child and keep her well away from Keller, maybe we can get the old Teyla back -- someone with wit and charm, fighting ability, an occasional flair of temper (not a way of life), a leader and even a sense of humor.

Falcon Horus
June 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
If they don't saddle her with taking care of the child and keep her well away from Keller, maybe we can get the old Teyla back -- someone with wit and charm, fighting ability, an occasional flair of temper (not a way of life), a leader and even a sense of humor.

From the spoilers so far, I wouldn't count on it. TPTB permanently damaged a perfectly good character. :teyla30:

Arica12
June 8th, 2008, 02:37 AM
From the spoilers so far, I wouldn't count on it. TPTB permanently damaged a perfectly good character. :teyla30:

Eh Falcon this is Stargate Atlantis - that's what passes for character Development

g.o.d
June 8th, 2008, 02:42 AM

yeah, since S2 I can't stand her

Integrabyte
June 8th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Eh Falcon this is Stargate Atlantis - that's what passes for character Development

...and sniffed Hair :D

Arica12
June 8th, 2008, 02:47 AM

I agree, she used to be a great character - now when Teyla's about it's like there's a very unamused nursery teacher on the loose.

g.o.d
June 8th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I agree, she used to be a great character - now when Teyla's about it's like there's a very unamused nursery teacher on the loose.

and very annoying with her grimaces:S

Arica12
June 8th, 2008, 03:11 AM
and very annoying with her grimaces:S

Still, on the sliding scale she's nowhere near as bad as Keller or Larrin.

So how about we lose Keller, Larrin NEVER comes back and Teyla returns to the character written in Season 1 - Everyone happy!

Falcon Horus
June 8th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Good point! :p

Well, I have to admit... It's getting harder and harder... Now I'll be kicked out of the Teyla-club for sure. :teyla26: *sneaks away*

So how about we lose Keller, Larrin NEVER comes back and Teyla returns to the character written in Season 1 - Everyone happy!

I vote YES!!!

g.o.d
June 8th, 2008, 08:51 AM

perhaps for you

Arica12
June 8th, 2008, 10:17 AM
perhaps for you

Well for me it goes like this, with Teyla the mute button is enough, I just switch off completely when Keller is about.

Platschu
June 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I voted for Teyla. :hide behind a rock from tomatoes: I hope they can change her more interesting with maternity and Wraith skills. :o

Integrabyte
June 8th, 2008, 02:56 PM
15 Votes for Teyla :). Damn, I am missing out :P.

Linda06
June 8th, 2008, 02:58 PM
And only friggin 4 for Rodney....*grumbles* He should have more votes than that :mad:

Reiko
June 8th, 2008, 03:05 PM
» *cheers* go Keller! :P

Klenotka
June 8th, 2008, 04:01 PM

Larrin is only in few episodes so I can survive her. And, I like Jewel Staite - her Keller is little unbelieveable as a doctor, less than as a chief of medical department since she is in the same age as me, but I really liked her in The Last Man. If they would keep writing her like that, I have no problems with that.
But watching Teyla´s grimaces everytime she appears and listen to her statements, no, really no. As someone says that McKay is annoying, then for me is annoying Teyla, from different reasons.

But you know what is sad? I used to love this show and everyone in it. In S1, from the very beginning, even Teyla. And now? I can hear everywhere around me only how people hate some character (mostly Teyla and Sheppard) and how they want them to be killed. It´s mostly fun, true, but...I think the fact that people can´t even agree what character is worse says something about this show. And when I remember how great it was in S1...

Lythisrose
June 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM
It is kind of interesting to see that out of the 10 choices offered in the poll, there are 3 women and together they account for almost 75% of the votes. I'm not sure why this would be, but for some reason the female characters have more detractors than the guys. Any explanations? :S

Falcon Horus
June 8th, 2008, 05:24 PM
It is kind of interesting to see that out of the 10 choices offered in the poll, there are 3 women and together they account for almost 75% of the votes. I'm not sure why this would be, but for some reason the female characters have more detractors than the guys. Any explanations? :S

I'll give it a shot...

Female characters are either:

* meant to be the babe of the week
* damsel in distress with no other meaning but that
* 2D - poorly developed
* for male viewing pleasure
* meant to be shipped with the male heroes

What do you think? Am I close?

Cautious Explorer
June 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM

That sounds like a plan! :)

But you know what is sad? I used to love this show and everyone in it. In S1, from the very beginning, even Teyla. And now? I can hear everywhere around me only how people hate some character (mostly Teyla and Sheppard) and how they want them to be killed. It´s mostly fun, true, but...I think the fact that people can´t even agree what character is worse says something about this show. And when I remember how great it was in S1...

In S1 I think there was a real effort on the part of the writers to bring each character to life. They've gotten sloppy in later years and focused only on what's easiest for them (IMO)

I've seen more dissatisfaction with Teyla this season -- probably because of the stupid pregnancy/Michael storyline. They've reduced her from a full fledged member of the team, to the one who must be protected and rescued.

I really haven't seen a lot of Sheppard hate (Personally, I don't think there'd be a show without him). But I'm sure you visit different threads than I do. I've seen a lot of disagreement over Keller and a lot of division regarding McKay (is he overused or the saviour of the show).

I think a lot of it has to do with TPTB who cast actresses without thinking about the role that needs to be filled (IKeller and Larin) and then lack the creativity to develop the female characters. Weir is gone, Teyla shoved into the background half the time and Keller and Larin are there for shipping purposes.

Reiko
June 8th, 2008, 07:20 PM
» Klenotka pretty much hit how I feel. For me, I loved everyone in the first three seasons, but the fourth season (and presumably onwards) is making me hate the characters I used to love. For me, it's mostly McKay specially with the whole Keller fiasco and him stealing the show almosts 24/7, and also Sheppard to an extent. Teyla - well, she's barely there, so for her I generally have nothing to complain about except lack of development.

I've seen more dissatisfaction with Teyla this season -- probably because of the stupid pregnancy/Michael storyline. They've reduced her from a full fledged member of the team, to the one who must be protected and rescued.

» I never bought the whole "Teyla's role will be much bigger in season four" from the start. I knew there was to be some stupid baby-related plot all along that wasn't really so connected to her, just at first was to percieved to be. Now they're saying the same thing - "Teyla's role will be expanded in season five." I'm not buying into it. Show me, PTB, not your usual motto of "wait and see". :mckay:

Agent_Dark
June 8th, 2008, 07:26 PM
It is kind of interesting to see that out of the 10 choices offered in the poll, there are 3 women and together they account for almost 75% of the votes. I'm not sure why this would be, but for some reason the female characters have more detractors than the guys. Any explanations?

I'll give it a shot...

* 2D - poorly developed

pretty far off tbh. it's actually got to do with the fact that most of the people on this forum (ie who voted on the poll) are women themselves.

Lythisrose
June 8th, 2008, 07:42 PM
pretty far off tbh. it's actually got to do with the fact that most of the people on this forum (ie who voted on the poll) are women themselves.

Well I suppose that you both can be on the right track; perhaps many women just do not like how these female characters are written and portrayed. Are most of the men happy with how they are presented? Hard to tell.

PG15
June 8th, 2008, 08:03 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EstrogenBrigade

kali1
June 8th, 2008, 08:44 PM
After Keller and Larrin go, I think the Barbie team should be next.

Klenotka
June 9th, 2008, 04:16 AM

It might be true. But, I personally loved Elizabeth, she wasn´t great written either but she had enough screentime and Torri was so good in her performance that it didn´t matter.
Then I like Allina, who was unfortunately only in one episode. I liked Sora who was sucked into a plot hole, same with Cadman. And I am one of few who doesn´t mind Keller. She is my age, yes. She is to young to be a chief of medical department, yes. They have to write her properly next season, yes. But I still think she isn´t that bad.
I honestly don´t understand why to bring tons of new female characters, when they had them before. And, they had bigger role. Those, who will be there now, will be probably reduced if not into eye candy then only to episode roles. Their own episode or not, I am sure at least one of them will die in this episode.
And yes, as a woman, I really do mind how they write female characters sometimes and especially how they present Teyla. I don´t like her mainly because I think that Rachel isn´t a good actress. But, I hate how they presented her last few seasons. She is a fighter so she just needs to have naked belly and legs, so we can all see it during some fight. :S Then, in S4, she is pregnant, which is in the eyes of tptb angry, moody, who needs to be saved all the time.
She even isn´t a leader either, because her people vanished from the story.

Athosian Death facilitator
June 9th, 2008, 05:40 AM
kellar... woolsey is the pompus ****** u definitely want on your side in case of the I.O.A/C.

Think about it; who are the persons you would need around you??

Smartz = McKay
Cool = Shepp
Tough = Ronon
Calming = Teyla

If you have the IOA/C(parents) on your back = Woolsey.

Kellar isn't really needed. McKay can always have a super medical technology... ie. Personal Shield, helpful nanites.

Lenas
June 9th, 2008, 06:30 AM
After Keller and Larrin go, I think the Barbie team should be next.

I have a feeling that team will be "reduced" in that very ep...:S

Still the poll is going well!!:) But Ronon and Lorne, 2 ?? What the...

Rac80
June 9th, 2008, 06:48 AM

Well I suppose that you both can be on the right track; perhaps many women just do not like how these female characters are written and portrayed. Are most of the men happy with how they are presented? Hard to tell.

Thanks PG15 for posting that article so I didn't have to! Another theory for the hate is the idea that in our society women are set up as competition for each other, so you SOMETIMES have a natural animosity between women in the same office.

bluealien
June 9th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Larrin is only in few episodes so I can survive her. And, I like Jewel Staite - her Keller is little unbelieveable as a doctor, less than as a chief of medical department since she is in the same age as me, but I really liked her in The Last Man. If they would keep writing her like that, I have no problems with that.
But watching Teyla´s grimaces everytime she appears and listen to her statements, no, really no. As someone says that McKay is annoying, then for me is annoying Teyla, from different reasons.

Maybe you need to go back and read some old threads. There have always been fans unhappy with most of the characters, practically from day one. It was either Weir or Teyla, or shipping wars, or Sheppard being called a manhore or Kirk, and don't forget all the bashing of Sam last year.

Its nothing new. The topic just changes from year to year and fans will always have something to complain about. Some hate the new direction of the show and others love it, some dislike certain characters and others hate them... I find it ironic that some are complaining about the imbalance on the show between male and female but yet they want the only female presence on the show gone. The guys suffer from just as much bad writing at times as the women, and there are just as many hot guys as there are hot babes.

As I said before I don't want any of them to go. Sure McKay annoys me but I can live with it and he is still an important part of the team..they all are. I want a more even balance between all the characters, both male and female. McKay takes up far too much screentime and he is the focus of too many stories. I want to see some richer and more meaningful writing handed out to all of them. Stop using Rodney as the emotional crutch and give richer storylines to all of them.

I'm hoping this happens in season five... I'm fairly optimistic. Teyla seems to be getting a lot more attention which makes me happy.... I just hope that Sheppard gets a bit more depth this season as well.

Klenotka
June 9th, 2008, 07:17 AM
bluealien: I know that it was always like this but now it seems that after S4, it´s worse. And I certainly know more people who are unhappy than happy with the new direction.

As I said, I would prefer lesser screentime for McKay if he got a proper development. He is different in every episode. It´s the imbalance you mentioned. Most of characters suffer from that but the more he is on screen, the more obvious it is.
The lack of depth for Sheppard, I was never too big Sheppard´s fan. I think he is just this heroic fly boy who flashes his smile and it should stop armies of enemies. But he has certainly potential to become something more. Darker, bitter, somehow influenced by everything he went through. But he isn´t. I think that he has lost something from himself when Elizabeth left. What I mean is that he and Elizabeth had an interesting relationship, where Elizabeth was able to "slow him down" (she did the same for McKay, too) but with Carter, it didn´t work. Talks between him and Carter were dull and boring, without any sparks and arguing. The reason was, of course, that Carter as a soldier and an officer with higher rank who simply gave an order. With Elizabeth, there were those little fights about who should handle the situation and this is, what I miss the most.

A vote for Zelenka? Who did it!? :D

usernr1337
June 9th, 2008, 07:25 AM
i think that teyla should go cuz she doesnt seem too interesting :/ she makes some moments feel like booring soup... she should be more manipulative agresive like a normal aliem woman :D ...lol larin should joinj sheppards team that would be fun and exciting

Reiko
June 9th, 2008, 08:20 AM
» Burn them all.

» one ture solution

Lahela
June 9th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Estrogen Brigade? Are you joking? That implies that women can't make a rational decision or hold a reasonable opinion because we are just too damned hormonal. Utterly sexist :rolleyes:

elliecat
June 9th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Estrogen Brigade? Are you joking? That implies that women can't make a rational decision or hold a reasonable opinion because we are just too damned hormonal. Utterly sexist :rolleyes:

I'm really upset by that remark, I might have to have a cry now ;) :D

There are a fair few males that have voted for Keller aswell. And Larrin is hardly an inspiration to all women out there (imo) is she!? That is unless we all want to parade around in leather and flash our 'assets' at any male that walks by :rolleyes:

Keller is just such a poor character imo, very badly written and it seems they do not know what to do with her apart from make her make googly eyes at Sheppard/Ronon and Rodney. Again, not a great role model when it seems like she has to rely on the men.

And I like Teyla, Carter(sg1) and Weir ;)

maxbo
June 9th, 2008, 10:34 AM

Works for me.

And only friggin 4 for Rodney....*grumbles* He should have more votes than that :mad:

Perhaps the reason why there aren't that many votes for Rodney is because those who hate him probably stopped watching SGA-McKay a long time ago.

Unfortunately, this is nothing new because the women of SGA have always received the most negative votes and Falcon Horus summarizes why. :S

I'll give it a shot...

* 2D - poorly developed

Yep, that about covers it. No matter how poorly developed the male characters are, somehow TPTB always manage to develop the female characters even less. :(

In S1 I think there was a real effort on the part of the writers to bring each character to life. They've gotten sloppy in later years and focused only on what's easiest for them (IMO)

I agree that in Season 1 the writers made more of an effort to develop all the characters and not just their favorites. Unfortunately, that fell by the wayside after Season 1.

I think a lot of it has to do with TPTB who cast actresses without thinking about the role that needs to be filled (IKeller and Larin) and then lack the creativity to develop the female characters. Weir is gone, Teyla shoved into the background half the time and Keller and Larin are there for shipping purposes.

I agree that TPTB don't put the same amount of effort into casting for female characters as they do when casting for male characters. When they cast for female characters, the main criteria appears to be youth and looks because that's all an actress needs to fulfill TPTB's plans for female characters these days. It's not like they have any plans to really write for these female characters so they want them to be "hot" enough to be used as lame plot devices, yet bland enough to be ignored otherwise.

In contrast, when they cast for male characters (Koyla, Oberoth, Lucius, Todd, etc.), they usually cast older actors with a lot of experience. Why? Because they know they will need that experience to pull off their plans for these characters. They knew they wouldn't have Koyla, Oberoth, Lucius and Todd just standing around looking pretty so it was imperative that the actors chosen had the experience and skill to pull off those characters.

Can you imagine if they had chosen 20-something actors for those roles? I can't because they never would have taken that kind of chance with those roles. Yet, they don't have a problem with actively seeking very young actresses for roles that should logically be filled by older actresses.

Linda06
June 9th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Perhaps the reason why there aren't that many votes for Rodney is because those who hate him probably stopped watching SGA-McKay a long time ago.

Oh yeah....Your probably right....Yeah i'm gonna go with that :D

PG15
June 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Heh...that's exactly what the link thought you'd say. ;)

An enclave of female fans within a traditionally male-dominated fandom. They tend to focus on a particular character or actor, rather than the entire series. Occasionally both sides butt heads over largely superficial reasons, with buckets of opposite-sex awkwardness, and can get defensive.

Lahela
June 9th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Heh...that's exactly what the link thought you'd say. ;)

I do seriously hope that you are attempting to be humourous rather than showing your misogynistic tendencies. Otherwise your post could be reportable under the "not attacking other fans" rules.

PG15
June 9th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Geez, lighten up, seriously.

And the former, thank you very much. It's not like I wrote that article. It exists, because that kind of behavior exists. It's largely a generalization, of course, but it does exist. I did think it was humorous that you were doing what that article was saying you'd do though, being all frustrated with what is really a superficial matter, and getting all defensive about it.

And no one can doubt the awkwardness.

Look around that site; it's VERY enlightening in terms of those "tropes".

Lahela
June 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Former, thank you very much. It's not like I wrote that article. It exists, because that kind of behavior exists. It's largely a generalization, of course, but it does exist.

Look around that site; it's VERY enlightening.

Glad to hear it :)

Personally, I don't see how making sweeping generalisations about any group of people, especially based on gender, can be enlightening about anything other than the inherent bias in people's minds. And I don't see how perpetuating those sorts of biases by using them as "evidence" in a debate is helpful to any discussion. So how about we stick to voicing our own opinions, each being as valid as the other?

Integrabyte
June 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM
***battle of the sexes *** Anyone want some popcorn? :P ***

PG15
June 9th, 2008, 12:31 PM
The site's not just about fandom; it's about all kinds of TV tropes, or "cliches" (but not as cliche...yeah).

For instance, the page for Stargate Atlantis: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StargateAtlantis

Linda06
June 9th, 2008, 12:39 PM
***battle of the sexes *** Anyone want some popcorn? :P ***

ooh can i have some....*sits down with a handful of popcorn while watching battle of the sexes*

Lahela
June 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM
The site's not just about fandom; it's about all kinds of TV tropes, or "cliches" (but not as cliche...yeah).

For instance, the page for Stargate Atlantis: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StargateAtlantis

The point is though that you posted that particular page as an argument about why it was predominantly women that had received votes, and the argument was based on a sexist assumption about women who watch scifi.

The fact that the rest of the site discusses other things is irrelevant, IMO.

PG15
June 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM
It's not an assumption at all. As I said, the page exists because the behavior exists. I only put that there because it was brought up earlier. Note that I didn't say anything after posting the link; it was just an "official" definition according to that site that those who argued that point may want.

The stuff about the rest of the site was just for your reading pleasure, because I thought you'd like how many "tropes" your favorite shows may use; it had nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Arica12
June 9th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Ah yes the discussion at hand which character should go.

Zelenka !

Only kidding, Keller all the way!;)

Lahela
June 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM
It's not an assumption at all. As I said, the page exists because the behavior exists. I only put that there because it was brought up earlier. Note that I didn't say anything after posting the link; it was just an "official" definition according to that site that those who argued that point may want.

The stuff about the rest of the site was just for your reading pleasure, because I thought you'd like how many "tropes" your favorite shows may use; it had nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Statistics are lovely things - we can manipulate them to say anything we want. Of course it's an assumption - they don't have access to the minds of every woman who watches scifi - they are basing their assumptions on what they see, quite probably on sites like this. And I'm sure you'll be the first to acknowledge, we at GW are not representative of the entire fandom ;)

And I have enjoyed other pages on the site, thankyou :)

PG15
June 9th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Hmmm...

Well, you got me there. ;)

Glad you liked the site. :)

Cautious Explorer
June 9th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I agree that TPTB don't put the same amount of effort into casting for female characters as they do when casting for male characters. When they cast for female characters, the main criteria appears to be youth and looks because that's all an actress needs to fulfill TPTB's plans for female characters these days. It's not like they have any plans to really write for these female characters so they want them to be "hot" enough to be used as lame plot devices, yet bland enough to be ignored otherwise.

In contrast, when they cast for male characters (Koyla, Oberoth, Lucius, Todd, etc.), they usually cast older actors with a lot of experience. Why? Because they know they will need that experience to pull off their plans for these characters. They knew they wouldn't have Koyla, Oberoth, Lucius and Todd just standing around looking pretty so it was imperative that the actors chosen had the experience and skill to pull off those characters.

Can you imagine if they had chosen 20-something actors for those roles? I can't because they never would have taken that kind of chance with those roles. Yet, they don't have a problem with actively seeking very young actresses for roles that should logically be filled by older actresses.

You make an excellent point. They brought in a seasoned actor to play the Seer too. And yet his daughter had to be in her 20's and gorgeous. They didn't plan to ship her with anyone. She didn't say two words to anyone but Keller. Yet she had to be young and beautiful. There are plenty of beautiful women over 35. Why not use some? And why the need to cast younger and younger actresses? I can't believe these extremely young women would be of much interest to Sheppard, McKay or even Ronon.

jenks
June 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Extremely young? Hardly. The reason they're casting young women is because it's what their demographic are more interested in, plus they're probably less expensive. All shows do it, even ones from the alleged feminist Joss Whedon.

Cautious Explorer
June 9th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Extremely young? Hardly. The reason they're casting young women is because it's what their demographic are more interested in, plus they're probably less expensive. All shows do it, even ones from the alleged feminist Joss Whedon.

Really? Hiring young actresses is economic. What about the men? Experienced actors don't demand more pay than inexperienced young actors?

It's interesting that they have the budget to hire established actors to portray male leaders (The Seer, Oberoth) but that same budget doesn't allow for seasoned actresses. Maybe they shoud stop casting male leaders. If all Pegasus leaders were young and female, there'd be so much more money to pay for explosions and space ships. :cool:

jenks
June 9th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Ah, I see you've managed to ignore all of my post other than the words 'plus they're probably less expensive.' Very telling. Please don't twist my words to try and make out that what I said was that it's all for economic reasons for the sake of your own argument, it's very dishonest.

Cautious Explorer
June 9th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Ah, I see you've managed to ignore all of my post other than the words 'plus they're probably less expensive.' Very telling. Please don't twist my words to try and make out that what I said was that it's all for economic reasons for the sake of your own argument, it's very dishonest.

Okay. So you also believe they're trying to atract young males and that TPTB find young women more interesting than more mature women? Is that what you said?

How does that make it any better? Young men will only find young and lovely women believable as world leaders? Young men are so shallow they will lose interest in the plot if there isn't a nice bit of T&A shoved into the scene? Why don't young men lose interest in the show when older males are cast as leaders?

Pic
June 9th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Elizabeth Weir.

Oh, wait... Wish already granted.

ducks and runs to the exit dodging rotten tomatoes:tomato:

jenks
June 9th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Okay. So you also believe they're trying to atract young males and that TPTB find young women more interesting than more mature women? Is that what you said?

No it's not, can't you read? Or are you taking the piss?

How does that make it any better? Young men will only find young and lovely women believable as world leaders? Young men are so shallow they will lose interest in the plot if there isn't a nice bit of T&A shoved into the scene? Why don't young men lose interest in the show when older males are cast as leaders?

Hot young women will attract more young male viewers than if older, less attractive actresses were used. Shallow, pathetic, call it what you like, I might agree but it's still the truth. Personally I couldn't care less whether they use younger or older actresses as long as they can act, so if it keeps the show on the air I'm all for it.

Cautious Explorer
June 9th, 2008, 05:37 PM
No it's not, can't you read? Or are you taking the piss?

Sorry. It was my understanding that you thought young women lured the coveted demographic and they were less expensive than more experienced actresses. I thought that's how I responded.

Hot young women will attract more young male viewers than if older, less attractive actresses were used. Shallow, pathetic, call it what you like, I might agree but it's still the truth. Personally I couldn't care less whether they use younger or older actresses as long as they can act, so if it keeps the show on the air I'm all for it.

Ah, but you're assuming that there are no attractive older women. Surprisingly some males might find an actress who was both atractive and suited to the role to be far more enjoyable than a young actress who has to stretch to make anyone believe she holds a position of authority. I'm not saying never cast an attractive young woman ever again, but why not limit it to appropriate roles? Why is it so incredible that there might be some older women in positions of power in the Pegasus Galaxy. Surely every Pegasus leader isn't either a young attractive female or a middle-aged or older man.

jenks
June 9th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Oh I'm not suggesting they should be, just saying why I think they're cast that way.

Reiko
June 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM

» ITA. It's a very sad sad truth about the entertainment industry, in which you can turn someone down for simply not being "hot" enough.

» When the industry people look at a male actor, they see the whole - not just mere looks, but also talent, personality and charisma to factor in to who they cast. When they look at a woman, they see physical parts - boobies, butts, skin and eyes and noses. Acting talent is reccommended, but if you look hot enough it's merely optional.

jenks
June 10th, 2008, 10:15 AM
» ITA. It's a very sad sad truth about the entertainment industry, in which you can turn someone down for simply not being "hot" enough.

» When the industry people look at a male actor, they see the whole - not just mere looks, but also talent, personality and charisma to factor in to who they cast. When they look at a woman, they see physical parts - boobies, butts, skin and eyes and noses. Acting talent is reccommended, but if you look hot enough it's merely optional.

More like society in general.

Arica12
June 10th, 2008, 10:16 AM
More like society in general.

Sad but true.

Stormtrooper
June 10th, 2008, 11:47 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the lack of older, more experienced actresses is a Stargate Atlantis problem.

Arica12
June 10th, 2008, 11:51 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the lack of older, more experienced actresses is a Stargate Atlantis problem.

I agree it's a big problem

PG15
June 10th, 2008, 02:35 PM
How old do you want them?

Christina Cox and Nicole de Boer, members of the much dreaded "Team Barbie", are both around their late 30s, just like Torri Higginson was.

Falcon Horus
June 10th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Christina Cox and Nicole de Boer, members of the much dreaded "Team Barbie", are both around their late 30s, just like Torri Higginson was.

Yeah, to keep the whining fans happy... Wanna bet they are not the ones who'll get through the episode alive? Shame cause I kinda liked Christina in Blood Ties. Maybe I could have liked someone again in SGA with her.

jelgate
June 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I'll take that bet as I think this all female team is being blown out of proportion. What are the stakes?:P

jenks
June 10th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah, to keep the whining fans happy... Wanna bet they are not the ones who'll get through the episode alive? Shame cause I kinda liked Christina in Blood Ties. Maybe I could have liked someone again in SGA with her.

I bet Nicole de Boer's character does.

PG15
June 10th, 2008, 02:55 PM

Well, we know Christina's character won't make it out a live; she's named Anne Teldy, after all. ;)

Point is though, they aren't always casting women who are young; it's probably about talent, money, and availability.

Falcon Horus
June 10th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I'll take that bet as I think this all female team is being blown out of proportion. What are the stakes?:P

You already lost half the bet... *points at PG15's post* :p
Odds are looking good in my favor.

Well, we know Christina's character won't make it out a live; she's named Anne Teldy, after all. ;)

I didn't know Cox was Teldy. So, that leaves de Boer...

Point is though, they aren't always casting women who are young; it's probably about talent, money, and availability.

Yet, the older ladies seem to disappear from the screen like snow melting in the sun... at least in SGA.

Linda06
June 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I didn't know Cox was Teldy. So, that leaves de Boer...

I think Nicole sticks around...Doesn't she...Isn't she playing Porter???

PG15
June 10th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Yet, the older ladies seem to disappear from the screen like snow melting in the sun... at least in SGA.

That's why they're called guest stars...

EDIT: And you wouldn't know it from looking at her, but Rachel Luttell is actually 37. Incredible.

Well, that's what Wiki says.

jelgate
June 10th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Yet, the older ladies seem to disappear from the screen like snow melting in the sun... at least in SGA.Its not just SGA that suffers from this condition. I see it in almost every TV show. The young attractice actors/actressess are picked for the main cast and a lot of the recurring. Its wrong but is not likely to change. At least not until the majority of TV audiences care about less about the physical.

Falcon Horus
June 10th, 2008, 04:34 PM
That's why they're called guest stars...

No, really? What about the recurring and main? Seen any older ladies lately, other than Rachel?

EDIT: And you wouldn't know it from looking at her, but Rachel Luttell is actually 37. Incredible.

10 years & 14 days my senior, born on the 19th of January.

Its not just SGA that suffers from this condition. I see it in almost every TV show. The young attractice actors/actressess are picked for the main cast and a lot of the recurring. Its wrong but is not likely to change. At least not until the majority of TV audiences care about less about the physical.

It's not just the audience that needs a good knock on the head... It'll only get worse before it gets better, if ever.

Reiko
June 10th, 2008, 04:43 PM
» It's not the fact really that they're young but rather they are likely to be bland cookie-cutter female characters to pay lip service to the fans. :mckay: And the male demo.

jelgate
June 10th, 2008, 04:50 PM
It's not just the audience that needs a good knock on the head...Its society in general but you don't want me to rant about that.
It'll only get worse before it gets better, if ever.That’s how it usually goes:(

» It's not the fact really that they're young but rather they are likely to be bland cookie-cutter female characters to pay lip service to the fans. :mckay: And the male demo.

And vice versa. Look at the attractiveness of the male characters. Its just not confined to the male fans.

Falcon Horus
June 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Its society in general but you don't want me to rant about that.That’s how it usually goes:(

No thanks, already had a rather animated discussion this morning with some people about that very subject.

And vice versa. Look at the attractiveness of the male characters. Its just not confined to the male fans.

Yes, but how many of them are twenty-somethings (the age all but a few of the ladies are)? JM & ... ?

Stormtrooper
June 10th, 2008, 05:29 PM
IMHO, SGA is beating society in terms of shallowness. I see older/old ladies in almost every tv show. I don't see them on Atlantis. Very unrealistic.

PG15
June 10th, 2008, 05:59 PM
^And what kind of people do those older ladies portray? Can those roles be applied to a SciFi Action Adventure show like SGA?

No, really? What about the recurring and main? Seen any older ladies lately, other than Rachel?

Well lately, you got Carter. She's leaving, of course. The only other regular female character is Keller and she is of course young. But that means we have 1 older female vs. 1 younger female going into Season 5, which is not that bad in terms of diversity. We don't know how the all-female team will work itself out in Whispers so that's a moot point and...well, I think that's it. Larrin's actress is busy, and her replacement is about 30 according to IMDB, and we don't even know if she'll be recurring or not.

I wonder how old Sharon Taylor is...she's going to be a recurring Technician.

kali1
June 10th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Well other Scifi shows, like Star Trek The Next Generation for example, had older characters on (like doctors, etc). So yeah, SGA can do the same...

So back on topic...other characters that need to go....

How about the Travelers as a whole.

jelgate
June 10th, 2008, 06:14 PM
TNG premiered 20 years ago and in a different time. A better comparsion would be Enterprise. Not many old males/females in that show.

Stormtrooper
June 10th, 2008, 06:42 PM
TNG premiered 20 years ago and in a different time. A better comparsion would be Enterprise. Not many old males/females in that show.

Enterprise is subpar Star Trek, so yes, its comparison to Atlantis makes perfect sense.

jenks
June 10th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Troll.

Stormtrooper
June 10th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Amateur, troll... Please, continue. :)

Reiko
June 10th, 2008, 07:39 PM

» Yes - but they're not there for that reason, are they?

kali1
June 10th, 2008, 07:49 PM

Yes it was a different time this is true but it could still be done today. Having older characters in important roles like doctors, scientists, commanders, etc make the show more realistic because in actual organizations, they will have different age groups. Having everyone young isn't realistic.

This is a great topic and should be made into it's own thread but lets get back on the topic at hand on which character should go...

PG15
June 10th, 2008, 09:29 PM
» Yes - but they're not there for that reason, are they?

How can you be so sure they're not?

Integrabyte
June 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM
How can you be so sure they're not?

How can you not be? :P

PG15
June 11th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I'm not. :p

Point is, we don't know what TPTB has in mind for the characters so saying they're for this or they're for that is just presumptuous and pointless.

stclare
June 11th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I'm not. :p

Point is, we don't know what TPTB has in mind for the characters so saying they're for this or they're for that is just presumptuous and pointless.

But more entertaining than not caring enough to contemplate them at all :cool:

Rac80
June 12th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Back on topic:
Carson should go! let the poor man rest in peace!:D

Arica12
June 12th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Back on topic:
Carson should go! let the poor man rest in peace!:D

Keller should go! Let the poor viewers watch in peace!

jenks
June 12th, 2008, 03:23 PM
They do, and more of them ;)

Reiko
June 12th, 2008, 09:00 PM
» Great response Arica. You're my new favourite person :P

DelTrax1
June 12th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I would have to say Woolsey

Integrabyte
June 14th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Keller should go! Let the poor viewers watch in peace!

All of them should go. Bring back SG1 :P :P :P.

g.o.d
June 14th, 2008, 09:29 AM
All of them should go. Bring back SG1 :P :P :P.

hell yeah!

elliecat
June 14th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I'm still sticking to Keller! :p

Lenas
June 17th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I'm still sticking to Keller! :p

ME TO!!

And It's going so well:zelenka25:

vaberella
June 17th, 2008, 06:07 AM
LARRIN

Hah....they have Larrin as a choice. Bless you thread maker. I'd sooner take 8 Kellers, who I've become extremely disappointed by, than even someone dropping Larrin's name. I never thought I could dislike a character, so much, until they brought her. I'd want Katie Brown as the leader of Atlantis, while being married to McKay, and Lucius as Team leader of Shep's team; before I would ever want to see Larrin on the show again.

Reiko
June 17th, 2008, 08:59 AM
» See, I think Larrin and Keller are just as horrible, but Keller poses more of a problem because of her regular status. :S

Lahela
June 17th, 2008, 09:07 AM
» See, I think Larrin and Keller are just as horrible, but Keller poses more of a problem because of her regular status. :S

My feeling exactly Reiko. One and a bit eps for Larrin in S4 (she may or may not be back in S5) doesn't hold up against 15 eps for Keller in S5 :S

Integrabyte
June 17th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Larrin seems to be popular too :P.

jasminaGo
June 17th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Larrin seems to be popular too :P.

I cheer for both her and Keller. :)

Integrabyte
June 17th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I cheer for both her and Keller. :)

In the mud? :D

jasminaGo
June 17th, 2008, 10:09 AM
In the mud? :D

Sure...why not, if it makes you happy :p

Integrabyte
June 17th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Sure...why not, if it makes you happy :p

Nothing can make me happy now :(...

jasminaGo
June 17th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Nothing can make me happy now :(...

Not even a cookie? Why not?

Integrabyte
June 17th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Not even a cookie? Why not?

I love your sig.

My brand new laptop has a faulty component. I embarrassed myself in front of 100 people because I could not do my PowerPoint presentation. The VGA output seems to have issues. I waited 3 weeks for it to be delivered and now I need to wait another 3 weeks to send it and get it back...fixed :(.

Shaod
June 17th, 2008, 10:33 AM
How about this....

They have another episode about an alternate dimension, in which a main SGA character gets stuck for more than a few episodes and there are alternate team members. This way, there can be a "new" team. If it doesn't get enough rating, then have the character go back.

jasminaGo
June 17th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I love your sig.

My brand new laptop has a faulty component. I embarrassed myself in front of 100 people because I could not do my PowerPoint presentation. The VGA output seems to have issues. I waited 3 weeks for it to be delivered and now I need to wait another 3 weeks to send it and get it back...fixed :(.

Thanks

That really sucks. :(

To keep this on topic. I still cheer for Keller and Larrin.

nx01a
June 17th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I think it's hilarious how Keller just happens to be the first name on the list.:P I don't want her gone, I just want her developed. Well.

Larrin, however... Larrin has to never be seen again. Or her ridiculous people.

Falcon Horus
June 17th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I think it's hilarious how Keller just happens to be the first name on the list.:P I don't want her gone, I just want her developed. Well.

That's a good one ... :rolleyes: ...In some cases being developed means gone, so I guess we all want her developed.

jelgate
June 17th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Why can't we let the clone die in peace?

vaberella
June 17th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Wait?! Keller is a regular?! You've got to be kidding me. :confused:

She's bad as a recurring, don't make it worse by turning her into a regular!!! Carson was great as a recurring and he rotted out as a regular.

Imagine Keller?!

Hell to the NO!!! Can I get two votes?!

I think I need some whiskey.

Integrabyte
June 18th, 2008, 01:21 AM

Larrin, however... Larrin has to never be seen again. Or her ridiculous people.

They develop every Stargate character...off-screen :P. ***heee heee heee***

stclare
June 18th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Wait?! Keller is a regular?! You've got to be kidding me. :confused:

She's bad as a recurring, don't make it worse by turning her into a regular!!! Carson was great as a recurring and he rotted out as a regular.

Imagine Keller?!

Hell to the NO!!! Can I get two votes?!

I think I need some whiskey.

Yep

shes in 15 eps in season 5, I have yet to be convinced we need to see the CMO that many times in one season.

Time will tell I suppose :(

Integrabyte
June 18th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Yep

shes in 15 eps in season 5, I have yet to be convinced we need to see the CMO that many times in one season.

Time will tell I suppose :(

I can only conclude people are gonna get injured a lot :P. Otherwise, she can hook up with people off screen :P.

Lenas
June 18th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I can only conclude people are gonna get injured a lot :P. Otherwise, she can hook up with people off screen :P.

Horrid image:
Ronon and Rodney running to the infirmary with every little paper-cut:eek:

Whedonfanuk
June 18th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I don't like Keller, Love Jewel but see nothing special in the Doc, unless she strips off again lol

Integrabyte
June 18th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Horrid image:

The ships we will have. YUUUMMMAAYY!!! :P

Rac80
June 18th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Horrid image:

Rodney does that already! :P

I say let carson rest in peace and weir too! (I imagine her and oberoth having little replicators running around by now! ;) )

jasminaGo
June 18th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Rodney does that already! :P

I say let carson rest in peace and weir too! (I imagine her and oberoth having little replicators running around by now! ;) )

:eek: That is just wrong on so many levels

Rac80
June 18th, 2008, 08:14 AM
:eek: That is just wrong on so many levels

didn't you notice the UST between weir and oberoth? I did! it was obvious he so wanted her! :P

Integrabyte
June 18th, 2008, 09:58 AM
didn't you notice the UST between weir and oberoth? I did! it was obvious he so wanted her! :P

How can you hate someone who loves going fishing!!!!!

vaberella
June 18th, 2008, 12:38 PM

I thought it was mutual. Far from one sided.

Rac80
June 18th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I thought it was mutual. Far from one sided.

yep i do agree. the long looks of desire were just flowing there and when she faked him out... you could see him drool! :)
edit: Ok just started a ship thread for them! :D

vaberella
June 18th, 2008, 01:26 PM
yep i do agree. the long looks of desire were just flowing there and when she faked him out... you could see him drool! :)
edit: Ok just started a ship thread for them! :D

Really now... That's definitely one thread I would love to read. Before S4 started and I heard Weir would go bad ala the way of the repli's. All I could think was Weir becoming Oberoth's Queen. It would have been an amazing pair of terror.

Rac80
June 18th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Really now... That's definitely one thread I would love to read. Before S4 started and I heard Weir would go bad ala the way of the repli's. All I could think was Weir becoming Oberoth's Queen. It would have been an amazing pair of terror.

well here is the link: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=8433617#post8433617
enjoy!

Lenas
June 19th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Yes, another ship! Just what we need:confused:

Oh, SGA is a SCIFI show??? My mistake....

B O T:
Keller was never in , so she is out!

Integrabyte
June 19th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Keller :).

elliecat
June 19th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Yes, another ship! Just what we need:confused:

Oh, SGA is a SCIFI show??? My mistake....

B O T:
Keller was never in , so she is out!

What do you mean? Don't you watch SGA for the 'romance'? :D :p

What Teg said ;)

Integrabyte
June 19th, 2008, 07:40 AM
What do you mean? Don't you watch SGA for the 'romance'? :D :p

What Teg said ;)

He is always right ;).

jasminaGo
June 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
He is always right ;).

:indeed: :D

Rac80
June 19th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Let poor little Carson rest in peace. Ditch rodney, and make Zelenka chief scientist (he knows as much as rodney and is much nicer :P)

Pic
June 19th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Let poor little Carson rest in peace. Ditch rodney, and make Zelenka chief scientist (he knows as much as rodney and is much nicer :P)

Oh no! Not Rodney! Et Tu, Rac80? :lol:

Zelenka having to go out in the field with Sheppard and Ronon !?!? ~ he's nice, but he'd end up a victim of 'friendly fire' before too long.

I hear you on Carson!Clone, the whole thing in Kindred seemed a bit contrived to me and done only to placate fans. I hope they do a better job with him in s5.

vaberella
June 19th, 2008, 09:21 AM

I'd agree with everything except for Zelenka's speed level. Rodney comes out well under pressure and under severe time constraints. Zelenka is much slower and seems to lose himself a bit when he's pushed, ie. Duet. So in the end, while I adore agree Zelenka and Rodney know the same, they both are needed at different times in paticular Rodney when push comes to shove.

Oh no! Not Rodney! Et Tu, Rac80? :lol:

Zelenka having to go out in the field with Sheppard and Ronon !?!? ~ he's nice, but he'd end up a victim of 'friendly fire' before too long.

I hear you on Carson!Clone, the whole thing in Kindred seemed a bit contrived to me and done only to placate fans. I hope they do a better job with him in s5.

Hey, he was on Lorne's team a time or two and no "friendly fire". I love Carson, I'll never understand getting rid of him although I support it if they couldn't relegate him as recurring so they killed him. However, bringing him back was the biggest mistake to me. I really have an aversion to zombies of any kind.

Reiko
June 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM
» The good side to killing Carson is that I will not have to watch this godawful show anymore ;):P

jelgate
June 19th, 2008, 04:19 PM
» The good side to killing Carson is that I will not have to watch this godawful show anymore ;):PGoodbye:P

Linda06
June 20th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Ok i think we have technical difficulties......I think the button for Rodney is stuck :mckay:

Integrabyte
June 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Ok i think we have technical difficulties......I think the button for Rodney is stuck :mckay:

You mean, stuck stuck or stucK? :D

Rac80
June 20th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Goodbye:P

I can't green ya so mental green! http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb194/rac80/smilies/cancan1.gif

as for mckay... can't stand him, and I really want him gone. Maybe they sould bring in Bill (bald scientist in midway) to replace him?
Yep no carson zombies!