• Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Classic" Sci-Fi movies

Here are a couple I just watched:

1. The Day the Earth Stood Still
    2. Logan's Run

Anyone else seen any lately?

I bought a couple more at Walgreens for 3.99 each that I will watch soon. They were:

1. The Omega Man
    2. Queen of Outer Space

Walgreens has been a good place to pick up cheap vhs movies lately...

Oh, The Day the Earth Stood Still is such a cool film. Love it.

I also like;

The Day the Earth Caught Fire
    War of the Worlds
    Children of the Damned (or is it Village of the Damned?)
    Farenheit 451
    Invaders from Mars

I love the fact that these films (and classic horror flicks) are more about the story and atmosphere than what special FX they can do. Not mentioning any names.......

<cough>George Lucas!

Jules
    Oh honey. You say potato, I say vodka!

http://neuralgianostalgia.blogspot.com/

Comment

I seem to remember hearing somewhere not long ago about a remake being made of Logan's Run... anyone know anything?
      sum ergo cogitum
      I am therefore I think.

Comment

Yeah, they are making a new Logan's Run. You can read about it here:
        http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...velopment+Heck

Look at the very last entry on the page for the latest info.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceminx
          Children of the Damned (or is it Village of the Damned?)
          One was the sequel of the other. I don't know which is which, but I would *guess* Village was first.

Originally posted by Spaceminx
          I love the fact that these films (and classic horror flicks) are more about the story and atmosphere than what special FX they can do.
          Absolutely. Quatermass, anyone? (Although I think the serials were better than the movies, the movies are still good compared with most of today's unthinking unemotional un-relevant...stuff.)
          Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

I love The Day the Earth Stood Still. And War of the Worlds is another great classic, depending on which version you watch. Looks like Spielberg is remaking it. Tom Cruise is set to star. Can I cry now?

I also seem to recall enjoying When Worlds Collide and Forbidden Planet. I actually saw a play called Return to the Forbidden Planet when I was on a school trip to London a number of years back. Great riff on Shakespeare and FP.

Comment

It's not old enough yet to be a "classic", but I think Pitch Black could be in there one day. It's got a crash, it's got scary aliens, it's got surprises (who thought that the survivors were going be the ones who survived (trying to avoid spoilers)), it's got a lead character who's both hero and anti-hero, some questionable morals, some good cinematography, a half-decent script, some incredible coincidences (the eclipse happens every twenty-two years and they just happen to arrive within a day of it?) ... there's a lot of good stuff in there. Now, provided the new films don't depart too much from the original it has the potential to become a classic series. We hope.
              sum ergo cogitum
              I am therefore I think.

Comment

Mars Attacks! Horrible, stupid, cheesy movie and definitely NOT a classic, but I love it anyway. Jack Nicholson as The President! LOL! And the translation device... hehe... Mild spoiler for Atlantis: (I wonder if the translators on Atlantis will have the same kinda problem...)

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmit2
                  One was the sequel of the other. I don't know which is which, but I would *guess* Village was first.
                  Actually I think Children OTD is the book and Village OTD is the film of the book.
                  Oh honey. You say potato, I say vodka!

http://neuralgianostalgia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Champos
                    It's not old enough yet to be a "classic", but I think Pitch Black could be in there one day.
                    Speaking of that, Chronicles of Riddick movie looks like it has potential. I think i will start a thread on that to keep it seperate from the classic movie one...

Comment

How old does a movie have to be to be a classic?

Gattaca tops my list of classic SF - both versions.

Brazil is wonderful SF.

Tron

Metropolis - Fritz Lang's and also, Osama Tezuka's/Rintaro's anime version.

The Time Machine - the 2002 remake of HG Well's story - may not be old, but it tells a classic story well - better, IMO, than the book, and that's a rare compliment from me.

Huh! I just noticed that not one of these SFs takes place in space or features aliens, and only Brazil has 'splosions....

(Okay, Time Machine has a couple 'splosions, too. )
                      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

The 2002 remake of "The Time Machine" may, and I stress MAY, have been better than the book (though I'd suggest perhaps simply more accessible rather than better), but the original film was much better. The new one was just... bad.
                        sum ergo cogitum
                        I am therefore I think.

Comment

What I didn't like about the new 2002 version of the tmie machine was that the monsters looked so fake it was terrible. It was like back to the "land of the Lost" suites that the Slee-staks wore... lol. I thought the story had HUGE potential, but the terribly fake monsters just killed the movie. Shame

Comment

Good point. The original film's monsters looked terrible but they have an excuse in that they did it a long time ago and I'm sure there's an expiry date for that sort of crime.
                            sum ergo cogitum
                            I am therefore I think.

Comment

The oldest SciFi movie I really like is 2001 - Space Odyssey. I also like the Russian version of Solaris (1972). My favorite movie has been Blade Runner for several years now and I doubt whether another movie will ever be that good in my eyes.

My favorite movies don't have to have a solid ending. I much prefer when it is completely open for interpretation, when I can see a different and more-in-depth meaning each time a watch it.

The most recent SciFi movies I like are "Gattaca" and "Cube".
                              No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
                              (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Working...
                              X