This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV classic Blake's 7 set to return

Sky One is to remake the science fiction series Blake's 7, following the recent reimaginings of Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica and Bionic Woman.

The satellite channel has given the go-ahead for the development of two 60-minute scripts with a view to a potential "event series".

Elaine Pyke, the commissioning editor, drama, at Sky One, Two and Three is working with Andrew Mark Sewell at B7 Productions on the project.

"The time is ripe for a revival of a show that represents the best traditions of the genre, not to mention one of the best-loved and most successful dramas of all time," Pyke said.

Created by sci-fi legend Terry Nation, Blake's 7 ran for four series on BBC1 between 1978 and 1981, and followed a band of rebels in their fight against the totalitarian system that ruled the galaxy.

Although the production values of the original series have dated, the show has proved both influential and enduringly popular.

B7 Productions is a subsidiary of B7 Media, the company that owns the licence to the show.

In recent years it has developed the brand with a series of Blake's 7 audio dramas, featuring actors such as James Bond star Colin Salmon and This Life's Daniela Nardini.

The prospect of a new Blake's 7 follows Russell T Davies's highly successful reworking of Doctor Who for the BBC, and the new Battlestar Galactica, the fourth and final series of which is currently showing on Sky One.

NBC's revival of Bionic Woman, starring former EastEnders actor Michelle Ryan, has been less successful, with the show expected to be axed after just one series. Bionic Woman is broadcast on ITV2 in the UK.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...kyb.television

Doctor Who is not a gorram reimagining!

AGH!

Annoyance!

The ONLY organisation that should redo Blake's 7, either as a remake, or a continuation is the BBC. It's the same freaking universe as Doctor Who.

AGH!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
      Doctor Who is not a gorram reimagining!

AGH!

Annoyance!

The ONLY organisation that should redo Blake's 7, either as a remake, or a continuation is the BBC. It's the same freaking universe as Doctor Who.
      AGH!
      really? anyway i agree DW isn't a reimagining! its a modernization really. but with the same continuity.
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

Awesome cant wait to see a CGI version of the Liberator I just hope they dont mess with the design too much
        A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
          Awesome cant wait to see a CGI version of the Liberator I just hope they dont mess with the design too much
          Well anything has to be better than the original cgi lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pnautWFuEnQ

Comment

Originally posted by Defiant View Post
            Well anything has to be better than the original cgi lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pnautWFuEnQ
            true enough
            A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

lol, i for one though am happy paying for no adverts, it's not as if it's even expensive
              Spoiler:
              Disclaimer:
              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
              Quotes!
              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
              sigpic

Comment

I have been waiting like, forever, for the return of Blakes 7. I know its been on and off for a couple of years with firstly Paul Darrow saying he was going to be involved and then saying he wasn't. I really hope they do the original justice.

Last edited by Blencathra; 25 April 2008, 09:03 AM.

Comment

While I agree with FO Bennett that the BBC is the logical place to continue Blake's 7, I think a reimagining could usefully be done anywhere, if done with some degree of class. The audio reimagining done by B7 Productions was a pretty extraordinary piece of work, with the crew struggling to control a vast, labyrinthine and truly alien Liberator; I could go really for that sort of thing in vision.

I mean, maybe Sky One will just cram it full of gratuitous sex, but then post-S1 Torchwood, could we trust the Beeb not to?
                  Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                  - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

And the Prisoner too!!!??? You've made my day. Blakes 7 and the Prisoner.

I've gone all giddy now.

Last edited by Blencathra; 25 April 2008, 09:03 AM.

Comment

[snip]

Now regarding Blakes 7. The planned Doctor Who crossover would have been a nice little easter egg for major fans in the classic days, I was very much hoping something like that would happen should the show be revived, alas, this decision negates that. Which is a shame. The dark nature of Blakes 7 would have added a lot to the Whoniverse.
                      Last edited by TameFarrar; 24 April 2008, 08:00 PM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Prisoner should be out sooner,
                        Thanks for that info. Brilliant!

Now regarding Blakes 7. The planned Doctor Who crossover would have been a nice little easter egg for major fans in the classic days, I was very much hoping something like that would happen should the show be revived, alas, this decision negates that. Which is a shame. The dark nature of Blakes 7 would have added a lot to the Whoniverse.
                        True enough. Still it's better than no Blakes 7 at all, which is what we've had to suffer for the last God knows how many years.

Last edited by Blencathra; 25 April 2008, 09:04 AM.

Comment

I wonder if any of the original cast will be involved? Jacqueline Pierce or Michael Keating perhaps?

Last edited by Blencathra; 25 April 2008, 09:04 AM.

Comment

I think it shows what fans can do if they make a fuss long enough. It should be inspirational for fans of Firefly. You keep on about it long enough (25 years!) and you get what you want.

Last edited by Blencathra; 14 September 2008, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                              I am determined to talk about Blakes 7 even if it kills me.

I think it shows what fans can do if they make a fuss long enough. It should be inspirational for fans of Firefly. You keep on about it long enough (25 years!) and you get what you want.

I'll make sure I post any new info on the show (pssst just don't mention the BBC)

Comment

Working...
                              X