X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somebody explain Live+7 ratings

So often I see debate who has more viewers Stargate Atlantis or the new BSG

Debate about who has more fans watching, is it DrWho or Jericho or Star Trek ?

The old Nielsen system was easier to read but what are all these new Live+7 numbers we get today ?

Did Nielsen ratings count downloads or college students living away from home ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bey0nd View Post
      So often I see debate who has more viewers Stargate Atlantis or the new BSG

Debate about who has more fans watching, is it DrWho or Jericho or Star Trek ?

The old Nielsen system was easier to read but what are all these new Live+7 numbers we get today ?
      Live is the ratings that are calculated by people that watch the show live, as when it airs.

the +7 is dvr viewing, Nielson gets the number of people who watched the via dvr for the seven days after the show aired.

Comment

Originally posted by Arative View Post
        Live is the ratings that are calculated by people that watch the show live, as when it airs.
        there's a difference between the live raw and the live +sd numbers. I'm guessing Bey0nd means the latter which shows how many people watch a show on the same day it aired

Originally posted by Arative View Post
        the +7 is dvr viewing, Nielson gets the number of people who watched the via dvr for the seven days after the show aired.
        correct but only viewers that don't FF through the commercials count
        Of course finding a solution is easier said than done because broadcasters recoup the licensing fees they pay for shows from advertisers - and advertisers are understandably reluctant to continue paying top dollar to reach an ever-dwindling audience. The beauty of personal recorders like Tivo (and any football fan who has had to sit through the commercials immediately following a score AND the ensuing kick-off will no doubt back me up here) is that it allows viewers to fast-forward through those annoying ads. Surprisingly, research has shown that about 50% of people who do record programming actually do sit through the commercials - but that’s still a 50% loss of eyeballs of the roughly 20% of viewers who prefer not to watch something live.
        http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...er-3-2007.html

basically the live +7 numbers show the potential amount of live viewers for a show.
        “But even if the show does a 1.4-1.5, that’s still a big drop from the 2.0’s you guys used to pull in!” True, but t.v. is changing in a big way. DVR penetration has reached 20% of households. The internet now offers viewers the convenience of watching their favorite shows on demand. With the proliferation of channels, t.v.-watchers have more choice than ever before and audiences are becoming more and more fragmented. These are all reasons not just Stargate, but SciFi, cable, and the networks have been bleeding audiences. It’s no coincidence that the inroads made by online entertainment options (ie. I-Tunes) and DVR/Tivo just happen to coincide with the drop in ratings across the board.
        http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...er-3-2007.html
        sigpic
        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Working...
        X