PDA

View Full Version : Is Todd getting weaker?

YutheGreat
April 13th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Well it seems to me that Todd's influence is declining. I mean first he had his own hive loyal to him which was destroyed by another Hive over Atlantis. He manage to rally seven hives for BAMSR. In SOW he only had one left which betrayed him and was also destroyed. In Kindred, he only had a Wraith Facility.

In Last Man, He went into Michael's facility alone without support. On the grounds of self interest why risk going into an enemy fortress if he could bombard it from space with a couple of hives. Todd said he liked stealth if that is the case why didn't he bring at least a couple of guards.

Why not have an episode. Where Todd is speaking to a council of Wraith Queens similar to the Summit in SG1. Todd addresses the queens to unite the Wraith under his banner. He leverages the cure to the Hoffan drug. Michael hears about the secret Summit and attacks it. SGA hears about it as well and decide to recon it. Todd devises a strategy to push back the assault with aid of SGA without the queens hearing about it. The queens have no hives because they were dropped off at a nuetral planet and gated to another planet because they are worried that one queen would assassinate the rest. Due to SGA's aid Todd gets the queens under his banner.

naamiaiset
April 13th, 2008, 05:33 AM
interesting thought, but I don't see todd as getting weaker. in a way, I think he's biding his time. what I find intriguing is that he seeks to regain power and prestige among wraith, yet wants to wipe them out (all perhaps except those loyal to him). I'd love to see the wraith unite under his lead, and he's resourceful/clever enough to make it happen. we'll just have to wait and see. although, it doesn't look like that's the direction S5 is going in. (:S)

Cam_Mitchell
April 13th, 2008, 08:12 AM
from being a prisoner to owning his own hive ship... going up in the world i see...

SGASG!
April 13th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I think Todd is a perfect example of an alliance between the Wraith and the Atlantis Expedition. Mckay and him were able to work together and in other situations we were able to prove that it was not impossible. Together they could try to find some sort of chemical that could replace humans as the main source of food for the wraith so that they could help Atlantis defend Pegasus against new enemies. So I hope that Todd is not getting weaker because he is the biggest hope for an Atlantis/Wraith alliance.

jenks
April 13th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Well it seems to me that Todd's influence is declining. I mean first he had his own hive loyal to him which was destroyed by another Hive over Atlantis. He manage to rally seven hives for BAMSR. In SOW he only had one left which betrayed him and was also destroyed. In Kindred, he only had a Wraith Facility.

In Last Man, He went into Michael's facility alone without support. On the grounds of self interest why risk going into an enemy fortress if he could bombard it from space with a couple of hives. Todd said he liked stealth if that is the case why didn't he bring at least a couple of guards.

Why not have an episode. Where Todd is speaking to a council of Wraith Queens similar to the Summit in SG1. Todd addresses the queens to unite the Wraith under his banner. He leverages the cure to the Hoffan drug. Michael hears about the secret Summit and attacks it. SGA hears about it as well and decide to recon it. Todd devises a strategy to push back the assault with aid of SGA without the queens hearing about it. The queens have no hives because they were dropped off at a nuetral planet and gated to another planet because they are worried that one queen would assassinate the rest. Due to SGA's aid Todd gets the queens under his banner.

Sounds boring to me, he's much more interesting as a cunning underdog IMO.

nova
April 13th, 2008, 10:19 AM
maybe the wriath are losin faith in todd

he is an honorable wraith, like alot of the wraith are 2 each other, but todd has helped, and kept promises to the atlantis team before, so maybe the wraith think he is weak.

its like you or me befreinding a turkey just before christmas and savin it from being eaten, you'd think they wud be wierd if they did that, eh?

MartianManhunter
April 13th, 2008, 12:02 PM
interesting thought, but I don't see todd as getting weaker. in a way, I think he's biding his time. what I find intriguing is that he seeks to regain power and prestige among wraith, yet wants to wipe them out (all perhaps except those loyal to him). I'd love to see the wraith unite under his lead, and he's resourceful/clever enough to make it happen. we'll just have to wait and see. although, it doesn't look like that's the direction S5 is going in. (:S)

Same here. I can imagine him pulling some major trap that would result in him gaining all of his power back, and more, all in one move, by manipulating the Expedition and the Wraith.

dasNdanger
April 13th, 2008, 02:02 PM
It's hard to say where Todd's head is right now. He's not getting weaker - in fact, we have NO idea how much power he actually has again among Wraith because he's too smart to tell. When he said, 'for my hive, and my hive alone', he certainly indicated that he belonged to only one hive (and didn't specify if he was the commander of it). BUT...maybe Todd is a bit of a gypsy...flitting from hive to hive, sharing his info with 'his hive for the moment', gaining their trust, winning them over, uniting them - we just do NOT know. He may be building something up behind the scenes...

Or, he may just be losing faith in Wraith society as a whole, and is ready to abandon it and create something new from scratch, much like Michael has. But I'd prefer it if his vision was the opposite of Michael's. Michael wants to divide, destroy and control...it would be nice if Todd's vision was to usher in an age of peace and cooperation.

Ahhh...who knows. I just hope they don't waste a great character like Todd...or I'll be a very unhappy worshipper... ;)

das

naamiaiset
April 13th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Same here. I can imagine him pulling some major trap that would result in him gaining all of his power back, and more, all in one move, by manipulating the Expedition and the Wraith.
that would make for a great episode, I think. then there's the question of how he'd use his power though. ;)

YutheGreat
April 15th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Same here, However a main character may have to be sacrificed to achieve this. It would be exciting if we didn't even know we were playing into his hands. The team comes out thinking they won and the final scene moves to Todd being chosen as the first Wraith Emperor.

naamiaiset
April 15th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Same here, However a main character may have to be sacrificed to achieve this. It would be exciting if we didn't even know we were playing into his hands. The team comes out thinking they won and the final scene moves to Todd being chosen as the first Wraith Emperor.
it wouldn't be the first time atlantis got outsmarted by a wraith. ;)

todd is more interesting in his "neutral" role, no need to turn him a villain.

Fjord
April 15th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I think the op may be onto to something. I've always had the feeling that Todd is a very old and powerful wraith and that maybe the newer queens feel threatened by him. I also think that he might have to kill an Atlantis expedition member to gain the allegieance of many wraith.

garhkal
April 16th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Hey, woosley is available!!

Ranlier
April 17th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Todd is trying to take advantage of a very dangerous situation.

His diplomatic relationship with the Expedition has left him the only wraith in the galaxy with detailed information about the Hoffan drug. He can use that information to make his hives the only well fed group of wraith in Pegasus.

At that point we're going to see the story branch in one of two directions:

1) He will become a King Wraith, and essentially control Pegasus with an iron, if more nuanced, fist. Possibly will use cloning tech to "farm" humans.

2) Will work with the Expedition to create a non-human food source. Possibly utilizing Michael's research.

Athosian Death facilitator
April 18th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I really hope he turns in to a KOVU/SCARE like character. Tormented all his life by the evil he knows, and turns in to a KING WRAITH, only to have his empire crumbled...by a lonely human on drugs. No less. Say a certain short'sh, earth born citizen , MIA for a long-long time. Say...don't we have a character that fits that description??????

naamiaiset
April 18th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I really hope he turns in to a KOVU/SCARE like character. Tormented all his life by the evil he knows, and turns in to a KING WRAITH, only to have his empire crumbled...by a lonely human on drugs. No less. Say a certain short'sh, earth born citizen , MIA for a long-long time. Say...don't we have a character that fits that description??????
ford? ;) I doubt that'd happen.

rarocks24
April 18th, 2008, 06:10 AM
ford? ;) I doubt that'd happen.

Didn't Joe say Ford wasn't coming back?

naamiaiset
April 18th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Didn't Joe say Ford wasn't coming back?
I think I remember reading something like that.

besides that, ford (and whatever force he might have) would only stand a chance as long as they had the enzyme and it's only a temporary effect. todd with the wraith united under him would have no problem dealing with ford.

Constanza
April 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Weaker? No… actually, I believe he’s just waiting for the right moment to get with the control of the entire wraith hives; his alliance with the Atlantis expedition will be broken at some point, and he will rise as the worst enemy ever!

nova
April 22nd, 2008, 08:39 AM
todd is smart, and influencial, when he sees an oppotunity for power, he will go for it, and get it

my opinion

jenks
April 22nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
Weaker? No… actually, I believe he’s just waiting for the right moment to get with the control of the entire wraith hives; his alliance with the Atlantis expedition will be broken at some point, and he will rise as the worst enemy ever!

He's not an ally of the Atlantis expedition.

nova
April 22nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
ofcourse hes an ally of atlantis, hes the wraith version of an ally

he helps us, when we need it, and we help him back(if theres something we need)

is'nt that what ally means ?

jenks
April 22nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
The expedition has allied with him in the past, but he's not an ally. If he couldn't offer them anything they'd kill him on site.

nova
April 22nd, 2008, 09:15 AM
they had alot of times, when hes offered them nothing, i think, s4 ep 18 or 19

they gave him a tablet, where he could contact them, if he had anything to say, and they never killed him

i believe, atlantis, trusts todd, to the extent, that they consider him an ally, even if hes an untrustworthy ally, but still, hes come through for them before, so they wont kill him, without a very good reason, because they may need him in future

jenks
April 22nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
He's a Wraith, that's an extremely good reason to kill him.

nova
April 22nd, 2008, 09:18 AM
your thinking of real life, this is a tv show

and todd is an awesome charactor, and deserves a good future/story line

jenks
April 22nd, 2008, 09:20 AM
I disagree.

nova
April 22nd, 2008, 09:24 AM
i like the wraith, especially as an ally, and the fact that todd, has helped us, and we helped him, makes me wanna see alot more of him

he also showed us how the wraith can give life, aswell as take it

he took sheppard to nearly death, then gave him his life back after

with todd in more episodes, no doubt we can learn alot more about the wraith, which is what i want

naamiaiset
April 22nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
with that logic, todd should've been killed in common ground. had he been, replicators would still be destroying human worlds, mckay's sister would be dead and (clone) carson wouldn't have been found. todd's "assistance" has been beneficial. not to say he's 100% trustworthy, he is still a wraith, but to this point, he hasn't done anything directly to atlantis to give them reason to kill him in my opinion.

nova
April 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
todds story has created what has currently happened in atlantis, and no doubt, he has some big stories coming for s5, which i cant wait for by the way

jenks
April 22nd, 2008, 09:29 AM
with that logic, todd should've been killed in common ground. had he been, replicators would still be destroying human worlds, mckay's sister would be dead and (clone) carson wouldn't have been found. todd's "assistance" has been beneficial. not to say he's 100% trustworthy, he is still a wraith, but to this point, he hasn't done anything directly to atlantis to give them reason to kill him in my opinion.

Yes, he should have been. Todd being allowed to live nearly resulted in the discovery of Atlantis by the Wraith, and the invasion of Earth. While his help has been beneficial to a point, Sheppard couldn't have know that, he should have done the moral thing instead of the sentimental one and killed him on the spot.

naamiaiset
April 22nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
Yes, he should have been. Todd being allowed to live nearly resulted in the discovery of Atlantis by the Wraith, and the invasion of Earth. While his help has been beneficial to a point, Sheppard couldn't have know that, he should have done the moral thing instead of the sentimental one and killed him on the spot.
the moral thing? atlantis' (lack of) morals created michael. todd could have left sheppard for dead in CG, but didn't.

he's safeguarded himself with things he's done, but hasn't been a direct threat.

nova
April 22nd, 2008, 09:34 AM
sheppard is a man of his word, he agreed with the wraith, and the wraith came good on the deal.

(this is make belief, but im tryin to make a point)
so say if a american soldier and a russian solder are in prison together, in say, iraq, and they both make a pact, to escape, and they help each other, and eventually escape.

afterwords, do u expect the american or russian soldier to kill the other, or simply allow them to part ways.

thats just the point im proving, sheppard would be a coward, if he murdered the wraith after they had an agreement, and the wraith came good on it

jenks
April 22nd, 2008, 10:35 AM
the moral thing? atlantis' (lack of) morals created michael. todd could have left sheppard for dead in CG, but didn't.

he's safeguarded himself with things he's done, but hasn't been a direct threat.

The whole reason the Atlantis expedition fights the Wraith in the first place is to protect the humans of the galaxy, he's as much a direct threat as the replicators had been in season 4.

GoSpikey
April 22nd, 2008, 11:03 AM
The whole reason the Atlantis expedition fights the Wraith in the first place is to protect the humans of the galaxy, he's as much a direct threat as the replicators had been in season 4.

Correction: Without Todd around, the galaxy would have already fallen to the Replicators. Wraith and Humans, alike.

jenks
April 22nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Correction: Without Todd around, the galaxy would have already fallen to the Replicators. Wraith and Humans, alike.

How so?

naamiaiset
April 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
How so?
replicators were destroying human worlds to exploit the wraith's weakness. without todd convincing the hive ships, atlantis wouldn't have had a fleet strong enough to fight them. therefore, humans, and wraith in turn, would still be dying.

Risem
April 23rd, 2008, 12:08 AM
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/04/first_story_details_on_the_queen.shtml

Spoilers ahoy for the Queen!

It looks like Todd does have a pretty "low" standing in the grand scheme of things right now. But if this plan works he'll be sitting pretty in a new alliance.
This really does shed light on is that Todd doesn't have a queen, meaning they're pretty much needed for being high ranked. Poor Todd.

YutheGreat
April 23rd, 2008, 06:22 AM

This is Ronnon Dex's philosopy.

He must be running out of loyalists. They are being wiped out by Michael and the expedition. He can gain power again by:

Developing a cure for the Hoffan drug.
Delivering either Earth or Atlantis to the Wraith.
Handing them Shepard's head on a silver platter.

Teslan
April 23rd, 2008, 09:36 AM

I think he has actually grown stronger when you think about it. He probably had very few allies when he first got of the Genii prison. And most likely the only reason he got so many people on-board for BAMSR is because everyone was done for if the Replicators got their way.

As for TLM, hadn't a lot of Wraith died by that point? Who knows, he might have been one of the few left.

But the part in bold:

*spoilers for "The Queen"

I think your idea was great, and it looks like TPTB might have something like that in store for us. "Summit" was the exact episode I thought about when I read the spoilers for this episode.

Thermonuclearboy
April 23rd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Todd is a Wraith social climber, basically. Think of it from the perspective of one of those "administrator males" that we always see: they're only important so long as they're doing something beneficial for the Hive. As a consequence there's some pretty cutthroat competition among the males, as they jockey for position in Wraith society. Every setback Todd has suffered in consolidating his position has been from some other male stealing his ideas.

Todd is not an ally to the Expedition - or at least, he probably does not consider himself to be. His goal is and always has been to climb to the highest rung in Wraith society he possibly can, and the Expedition is just another means to that end. He may have a strange kind of fondness for Shep, but I don't think he would hesitate to toss them all aside if they were between him and a seat next to a Hive Queen.

SpaceCowboy
April 23rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
Todd is a practitioner of realpolitik; and as such is a powerful and beneficial plot device for TPTB. He is a well crafted character that offers a view into the world of the Wraith, but is still dangerous enough that he cannot be completely trusted.

"The Queen" might well be a pivotal episode for his character, indeed. :tealc:

GoSpikey
April 23rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
He may have a strange kind of fondness for Shep, but I don't think he would hesitate to toss them all aside if they were between him and a seat next to a Hive Queen.

If his only goal is to have a seat next to a Hive Queen, why doesn't he just crawl to one, then? :P

He wants the Wraith to listen to him, and only him, that's what this is all about!

He's been bluffing about serving a Queen, from the looks of the spoilers for 'The Queen', and now it looks like a Hive that's in his alliance actually demands that he brings his Queen over to them, at which point he doesn't have much of a choice, goes to Shep with another one of those painful "I need your help"s, and demands that they get him out of this trouble by taking Teyla with him.

He might have the Wraith believe he serves a very powerful Queen, and maybe even a very paranoid one, that will only let her business go through him, and nobody ever sees her, so they have no chance but to accept his commands as coming from her. If he can keep up that bluff, he's King of the Wraith. :D

YutheGreat
April 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
I think he has actually grown stronger when you think about it. He probably had very few allies when he first got of the Genii prison. And most likely the only reason he got so many people on-board for BAMSR is because everyone was done for if the Replicators got their way.

As for TLM, hadn't a lot of Wraith died by that point? Who knows, he might have been one of the few left.

But the part in bold:

*spoilers for "The Queen"

I think your idea was great, and it looks like TPTB might have something like that in store for us. "Summit" was the exact episode I thought about when I read the spoilers for this episode.

*Answer to spoilers for "The Queen"

Really... I did not know that. I just posted something in the Preairing discussion yesterday.

Bold Part.

Well yes but it seems his power is fluctuating then. He has yet to solidify his powerbase.

If the Queen is what we think it is He will be a force to rival Michael and Earth. The Wraith will be a threat that could beat the Ancients

dasNdanger
April 24th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Todd is a Wraith social climber, basically. Think of it from the perspective of one of those "administrator males" that we always see: they're only important so long as they're doing something beneficial for the Hive. As a consequence there's some pretty cutthroat competition among the males, as they jockey for position in Wraith society. Every setback Todd has suffered in consolidating his position has been from some other male stealing his ideas.

Todd is not an ally to the Expedition - or at least, he probably does not consider himself to be. His goal is and always has been to climb to the highest rung in Wraith society he possibly can, and the Expedition is just another means to that end. He may have a strange kind of fondness for Shep, but I don't think he would hesitate to toss them all aside if they were between him and a seat next to a Hive Queen.

Based on what Chris Heyerdahl said in the new Stargate mag, I think you've pretty much nailed it. Part of the interview:

"It seemed to make sense to me," confirms Heyerdahl. "Todd is somebody who is now outside of his own race. He has allegiances with some, is accepted by some, and still has a certain amount of power, but at the same time, because he's been away, others have stepped in. He has some pretty serious enemies simply because of the disintegration of all the Wraith factions. He sees where the power lies, and he sees that power leaning towards the humans living in the city of Atlantis. He realizes that if he is going to move forward with the Wraith, he is going to need to take Atlantis' knowledge and help and use it for his own survival. We are definitely dealing with an extremely intelligent, well-rounded, capable individual, and he will do anything and everything he can to make sure things go his own way. If he has to hang out with a few humans right now, then it is not such a bad thing."

An uneasy truce hardly makes Todd and Sheppard drinking buddies though...

"Their relationship is one in constant flux," agrees Heyerdahl. "They know they can never truly be friends because of who and what they are. At the same time, there is an understanding that there's a trust that has been built, although a tenuous and difficult one. I don't think either one wants to acknowledge it because that would show weakness on both their sides. They have to play their cards carefully because Sheppard is an extremely dangerous man, and the Wraith is no light-weight either. There's a respect there, but a healthy respect."

With the Wraith maintaining such a prominent presence in the Pegasus Galaxy this year, there is no doubt they will be exploring that conflicted dynamic more in the future. However, what truly has Heyerdahl excited is how Todd's scheming is all going to pay off.

"We see some of the things I have been talking about become much more complex; all of the ground plans of what he is trying to do, and challenges he is facing," teases Heyerdahl. "There's some pretty serious business about to go down between himself and his fellow Wraith. We'll see the lines of allegiance are not as clear as we might think. You begin to see there is more to this guy than we saw before. He is really trying to play every side he can in order to get what he needs to succeed. He's no dumb bunny, that's for sure!"

From that, I think it's clear that Todd has definite plans, and that he has no problems acknowledging that the Lanteans are gaining power, and they can be used to his advantage. I really want to see where this takes him - I just hope it isn't a turning point where he starts to betray the Lanteans, because I think the fun of this character is in his shaky alliance with the humans.

Todd is a practitioner of realpolitik; and as such is a powerful and beneficial plot device for TPTB. He is a well crafted character that offers a view into the world of the Wraith, but is still dangerous enough that he cannot be completely trusted.

"The Queen" might well be a pivotal episode for his character, indeed. :tealc:

Yes, it might...if he survives...lol. I hope he does, considering how interesting the character is and all the potential he now has. I just fear they'll turn him into the next 'Michael', or 'Ba'al' - or another evil bad guy that needs to be squished. I like Todd where he is - playing along with the Lanteans to his own advantage, never sure what he's up to. At the same time, however, I want his goals to be justified - namely, the survival of his species. I'd hate to see the whole SG 'kill all the bad guys because we hatesies them' formula used on Todd and the Wraith. *yawn* ho-hum. Instead, Todd could lead the Wraith into a new era, one where they find a way to coexist with humans in the PG and yet still pose a threat...something like the Klingons in ST, only not as wussy. This could be done by finding an alternative food source, or even just allowing the Wraith a sector of the galaxy where they manage their food their way, without Lantean interference. Anything except annihilation or wussification!

das