This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shep and the team in season 5

I know i'm normally one to go with the flow with, and that season 5 hasn't completely been written yet, but am I the only one concerned with no specific focus for Sheppard?

I'm a bit off kilter at the moment, so it maybe just me, but from reading the spoilers, there doesn't seem to be a set Shep episode and very little information in the way of team eps. I suppose the reason why i've set up this thread is to gauge the reactions of people on the forum. I've not gone so far as taking a poll, or creating a focus group. Maybe later though.

So what are people's initial feelings, reactions fears about Shep and the team in S5. Positive and negatives are as always welcomed.

Do YOU feel that there is an imbalance with the spoilers received so far, or do you think that there is currently a good mixture based on the spoilers out there at the moment?

The floor as they say is yours.

I thought there was going to be an ep in the second half of S5 which will be a major Shep whump episode?

Comment

Originally posted by FenRiR FoXz View Post
      I thought there was going to be an ep in the second half of S5 which will be a major Shep whump episode?
      The last we heard was that it was still trying to find a home. It got moved because of a creative snafu, and they were going to try and find it a place in the back half. Then there was news elements of it may be transplanted into other eps. So it's still not clear if it will go ahead or not.

Thing is if it does take place, not every Shep fan is a whumper! I know it's hard to believe that not everyone enjoys whumping Shep, but alas it's true. We've got eps for Ronon, Teyla, Rodney... even Daniel, and possibly Woolsey, but no Shep. And so far the only thing i've heard about team eps is the Daedy Variations.

My concerns aren't just for Shep, although that plays a part, it's the feel that there's a lot of new characters being brought into the mix to change some of the dynamics of the team. But for me there's not much of the team as a collective. That's part of what concerns me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus_SGA View Post
        I know i'm normally one to go with the flow with, and that season 5 hasn't completely been written yet, but am I the only one concerned with no specific focus for Sheppard?

I'm a bit off kilter at the moment, so it maybe just me, but from reading the spoilers, there doesn't seem to be a set Shep episode and very little information in the way of team eps. I suppose the reason why i've set up this thread is to gauge the reactions of people on the forum. I've not gone so far as taking a poll, or creating a focus group. Maybe later though.

So what are people's initial feelings, reactions fears about Shep and the team in S5. Positive and negatives are as always welcomed.

Do YOU feel that there is an imbalance with the spoilers received so far, or do you think that there is currently a good mixture based on the spoilers out there at the moment?

The floor as they say is yours.
        I think there does seem to be an imbalance as far as spoilers go, yes. I can't see any reason why there's not a Shep centred episode in the first half of season 5, to be honest. At least if I knew there was going to be something meaty for Shep I wouldn't find myself being concerned so much. Alas spoilers seem to concern other characters at the moment, which is quite understandably causing upset and concern in certain sections of the fandom. Especially when that section has hitherto been pretty optimistic and supportive of the show and its changes to date.

I love team episodes, and they generally are my favourites. I missed the team feel in season 4, despite the fact that we were told season 4 would be centring on the team of four. It never really did. I realise there were reasons for this because of personal and private events happening to some of the actors, and that's perfectly understandable and outside of the control of the producers and actors.

But I was hoping to see season 5 show us a lot more team stuff. So far we know that Daedalus Variations in a team eppie for sure. Which is good. But I don't like the way the team keeps getting split up for episodes. Part of what I like about the show is the team all interacting together. Sure, it's fine to have scenes where the characters are split up, but episodes where they are? I'm not so sure it's something I want to continue seeing. I saw it too much in season 4 for my liking.

I don't know why there seem to be no spoilers for Sheppard, and why JM is saying nothing. I can't fathom it, to be honest. Maybe there's a secret game plan I'm not aware of, or maybe Sheppard is no longer considered a vital part to the show? Who knows.
        sigpic

Comment

The last we heard was that it was still trying to find a home. It got moved because of a creative snafu, and they were going to try and find it a place in the back half. Then there was news elements of it may be transplanted into other eps. So it's still not clear if it will go ahead or not.
          I expect it will, and I would think there will be an ep in S5 that deals with Sheppard as the main character in the story...

Thing is if it does take place, not every Shep fan is a whumper! I know it's hard to believe that not everyone enjoys whumping Shep, but alas it's true.
          It's not that hard to believe but then the way I see it not everyone is in it for the whump

My concerns aren't just for Shep, although that plays a part, it's the feel that there's a lot of new characters being brought into the mix to change some of the dynamics of the team. But for me there's not much of the team as a collective. That's part of what concerns me.
          There is this from JM regarding 'team':
          Watched the director’s cut of Daedalus Variations this afternoon. Andy Mikita did a terrific job on this one. Wow! Talk about a visual effects extravaganza! For those of you who enjoy “team” episodes in particular, this is one to look forward to.
          http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...uction-update/
          I know it's not much to go on but it's a start

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
            I think there does seem to be an imbalance as far as spoilers go, yes. I can't see any reason why there's not a Shep centred episode in the first half of season 5, to be honest. At least if I knew there was going to be something meaty for Shep I wouldn't find myself being concerned so much. Alas spoilers seem to concern other characters at the moment, which is quite understandably causing upset and concern in certain sections of the fandom. Especially when that section has hitherto been pretty optimistic and supportive of the show and its changes to date.
            I'm very much a spoiler whore to get me through the hiatus, but this year there does seem to be more of a focus on other characters within the spoilers as opposed to the team and to Shep. I don't understand it, and have no idea what a creative snafu is, maybe Mr M will enlighten us, so that I don't feel so shrill and ill-informed and won't go off half cocked screaming blue bloody murder. But, for me why is there this much focus on supporting characters within the spoilers? Is it that to give away stuff about the team would result in major spoilers. But if that's the case, why no mention of the team.

Concerns are there, lying under the surface, and keeping things in perspective yes all eps have not been written yet, but why no mention?

I love team episodes, and they generally are my favourites. I missed the team feel in season 4, despite the fact that we were told season 4 would be centring on the team of four. It never really did. I realise there were reasons for this because of personal and private events happening to some of the actors, and that's perfectly understandable and outside of the control of the producers and actors.
            Ditto, there were understandable reasons in Season 4 why the team weren't all together. I appreciate that, and it must have been difficult sotry wise to keep them all together, but i've not heard anything so far that suggests any complications. Yep I know i'm not in the loop and never will be, but so far there's only really been one team ep that I can see.

But I was hoping to see season 5 show us a lot more team stuff. So far we know that Daedalus Variations in a team eppie for sure. Which is good. But I don't like the way the team keeps getting split up for episodes. Part of what I like about the show is the team all interacting together. Sure, it's fine to have scenes where the characters are split up, but episodes where they are? I'm not so sure it's something I want to continue seeing. I saw it too much in season 4 for my liking.
            Agreed, the team for me will always be focus. I know people only watch for certain characters. I get that, but the core of SGA is the team, switch the pairings and dialogue up great, but have them together. Let the banter flow between all of them. If they're all seperated than for me it loses a certain something.

I don't know why there seem to be no spoilers for Sheppard, and why JM is saying nothing. I can't fathom it, to be honest. Maybe there's a secret game plan I'm not aware of, or maybe Sheppard is no longer considered a vital part to the show? Who knows.
            Maybe we'll be bowled over.... still clinging to that last thread. But I have to say if Mr M had not posted those couple of pics on his blog, I would seriously start to wonder if Shep is actually in S5!!

Originally posted by FenRiR FoXz View Post
            I expect it will, and I would think there will be an ep in S5 that deals with Sheppard as the main character in the story...
            In the words on OB1 Kenobe.... one can only hope. But at this moment in time, my hope along with my squee is fading fast.

It's not that hard to believe but then the way I see it not everyone is in it for the whump
            That's my point though, for the Shep fans on the forum, are they nervous about the lack of spoilers or episode. What are their feelings?

There is this from JM regarding 'team':

I know it's not much to go on but it's a start
            I saw that this morning, maybe he's fed up with listening to me moaning about no teamyness.

Comment

Sadly my first thought when all the cast changes were announced months ago was exactly the same thing. Too many characters, not enough concentration on the ones we care about and not enough development time to go around.

Maybe there will be a Sheppard centered episode in the second half of the season but I'm selfish and I don't want to wait that long and since he's the lead I don't know why we have to! Not when other characters like Ronon , Keller and Rodney already have too focused episodes in the first half. And we already know that Daniel Jackson is coming on for the big season two parter.

In my opinion, any Keller focused episode = no team. Episodes that feature Keller fragment the team into pieces. This is not to say that as a full time cast member she doesn't deserve a character centric episode but honestly we're hearing more about her than even Teyla. I don't remember Carson Beckett every commanding so much attention when he was the doctor.

And what about Zelenka and Lorne?

And to be honest the most annoying aspect of it to me is JM's refusal to make any comment at all to the polite requests asking for a bit more Sheppard information. However,when I made a comment about Tracker and the supposed mckay/keller/ronon love match he responded right away!

Just my opinion.

sigs by the talented CazzBlade, elephantgirl,CKO, kali1, csom, Luciana, Torri012 and rachel d..thanks so much!

Comment

I'm very much a spoiler whore to get me through the hiatus, but this year there does seem to be more of a focus on other characters within the spoilers as opposed to the team and to Shep. I don't understand it, and have no idea what a creative snafu is, maybe Mr M will enlighten us, so that I don't feel so shrill and ill-informed and won't go off half cocked screaming blue bloody murder. But, for me why is there this much focus on supporting characters within the spoilers? Is it that to give away stuff about the team would result in major spoilers. But if that's the case, why no mention of the team.

Concerns are there, lying under the surface, and keeping things in perspective yes all eps have not been written yet, but why no mention?
                Oh hell, I'm feeling shrill and ill-informed and uninformed too! Always thought of myself as more of a gerbil than a lemming though!

I have no idea why Shep isn't being talked about. It's pretty disheartening even for someone like me who's pretty optimisitic usually. I seriously am not getting any more upset and I'm just staying away from this all. If Shep doesn't feature much and I don't like the show without him, if he isn't in it so much, then I walk away to a new show. I'd never stick around the fandom to just whine. Not my style. I like fun!

Ditto, there were understandable reasons in Season 4 why the team weren't all together. I appreciate that, and it must have been difficult sotry wise to keep them all together, but i've not heard anything so far that suggests any complications. Yep I know i'm not in the loop and never will be, but so far there's only really been one team ep that I can see.
                I'm not in the loop either hon. So that makes two of us.

Agreed, the team for me will always be focus. I know people only watch for certain characters. I get that, but the core of SGA is the team, switch the pairings and dialogue up great, but have them together. Let the banter flow between all of them. If they're all seperated than for me it loses a certain something.
                I love the team. We were promised in season 4 that it'd be all about the team of four, and I'm not sure it was really. Certainly not them all together.

I agree. Separate the characters for too long and some of the sparkle can be lost.

Maybe we'll be bowled over.... still clinging to that last thread. But I have to say if Mr M had not posted those couple of pics on his blog, I would seriously start to wonder if Shep is actually in S5!!
                I know. And did we actually hear from JM that Shep is in Whispers, or is that just from spoilers here or at SG1 Solutions? I do wonder about Shep in season 5. I do wonder what thrills are in store for him. Where's his wonderful eppie where we learn more about him and JF gets the chance to give his best performance yet? Where is his 'Tour de force' eppie? Oh, he doesn't get one...there's a surprise.
                In the words on OB1 Kenobe.... one can only hope. But at this moment in time, my hope along with my squee is fading fast.
                Save me, Sheppy, you're my only hope!

That's my point though, for the Shep fans on the forum, are they nervous about the lack of spoilers or episode. What are their feelings?

I saw that this morning, maybe he's fed up with listening to me moaning about no teamyness.

Well this one is annoyed, frustrated and upset. I have no idea what the season 5 episodes will be like. I can only go on spoilers. From either JM or from spoiler sites. So far I've had NOTHING on Sheppard from anywhere, except that he gets to be in Beckett's episode. Oh joy...
                sigpic

Comment

Perhaps JM is deliberately keeping Shep related spoilers from you because it amuses him to be asked?

Comment

I think they are so excited about their 'shiny new toy' Keller that other characters get left by the wayside. I fear this is happening to Shep who is getting nothing in way of soilers coz they are not excited about him anymore maybe?

Wheras they have made a nice little love triangle so Ronon and Rodney can interact with Keller and bam! she is part of the inner circle. She does seem to split up the team whenever she's in it tho. Look at last year it was her and Teyla (missing) her and Ronon (quarantine) her and mckay (trio). And these eps were my least fav of last year.

Back to Shep, im sure he will be in SGA lots next year I have to believe this else I will not be very interested im afraid. That's my honest opinion, he interacts so well with all the team and I love him and McKay together especially. And there are so many Shep fans out there they need to start giving em something!

More Shep info please Mr M!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elliecat View Post
                      I think they are so excited about their 'shiny new toy' Keller that other characters get left by the wayside. I fear this is happening to Shep who is getting nothing in way of soilers coz they are not excited about him anymore maybe?

Wheras they have made a nice little love triangle so Ronon and Rodney can interact with Keller and bam! she is part of the inner circle. She does seem to split up the team whenever she's in it tho. Look at last year it was her and Teyla (missing) her and Ronon (quarantine) her and mckay (trio). And these eps were my least fav of last year.

Back to Shep, im sure he will be in SGA lots next year I have to believe this else I will not be very interested im afraid. That's my honest opinion, he interacts so well with all the team and I love him and McKay together especially.
                      I'm the same. I'm usually Little Miss Cheery, but even I'm starting to get the wobbles a bit now! I just find it very strange that we're regularly finding out bits and pieces about all the other characters but, apart from a couple of pics and a word here and there, nothing about Shep! What's that all about?!!

And there are so many Shep fans out there they need to start giving em something!

More Shep info please Mr M!
                      I think you're right elliecat...even if it's just to say 'We can't tell you anything 'cos it's waaaaayyyy too spoilery'!

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                        Save me, Sheppy, you're my only hope!

Anyway...

Yep, there's a severe lack of info on Shep! But not just him Teyla too and to me they are now the leading man and lady

I wasn't worried at all until yesterday and something just snapped! I was being nice and patient and thinking Shep info wil be along soon but it never came and my patience has dried up (and I am a very patient and laid back person!)

Keller grew on me last season but I'm still not sure she is worthy of a regular

I'm not feeling as bad about things today as I was yesterday but other than S&R and BT to an extent, there is nothing to be exited about at the mo

What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
                          Yep, there's a severe lack of info on Shep! But not just him Teyla too
                          I don't know if I agree - The Queen is a Teyla-centered episode, and very possibly so is the Seed, since JM said that the first two episodes would have some major developments for the character. But we've gotten nothing on Sheppard except for Whispers, and I'm still betting that he wasn't even in the original script, thus the promotion and then subsequent demotion of Major Teldy. Whispers was always billed as
                          Spoiler:
                          Carson offworld with a female team
                          - nothing about Sheppard until recently.
                          - Life after Stargate -
                          Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                          Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                          sigpic

Comment

But, for me why is there this much focus on supporting characters within the spoilers? Is it that to give away stuff about the team would result in major spoilers. But if that's the case, why no mention of the team.
                            In fairness most of the detailed spoilers we have come from casting sides so they only really show the episode from the point of view of character being cast and can make it seem like those characters play a bigger role than they actually do. I'm thinking specifically about Vega here.

I do understand the frustration and disappointment and I too would like to see more team eps and Shep related spoilers, and I am very disappointed there does not appear to be a Shep-centric ep in the first half of the season, I'm keeping the faith at this point and trusting that we will see more Shep and team interaction than is currently apparent.

Comment

In the previous seasons, foe the lack of a better word have been Sheppard orentied. S2 and S3 had very little for Teyla and Ronon didn't do much. I think that is what they tried to fix in S4 but private matter among the actors prevented that from happening. I would actually perfer more episodes centered around Ronon and Teyla. Don't get me wrong, I like Sheppard but he has been overused in the past. Sometimes those little bits (Sheppard and Teyla in the mess hall in Satedia) are just as important as the an episode dedicated into them. I can understand a Sheppard fanatic like yourself wanting a lot of him but their are other characters who are need more episode because IMHO, have been underused in the past.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X