PDA

View Full Version : The S/J Ship Discussion Poll Thread

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Hi folks and welcome, this thread is Sam and Jack ship friendly.

It is a place for people to have light hearted discussions about S/J ship. Only pro S/J ship discussions are on topic here. Anything else will be considered off topic, and is off limits here.

The GateWorld Ship Family can also be found at the

Sam And Jack Shippers Thread - click HERE (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=3078)

To find out about past Ship discussions,

visit The Shipper Archive (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=2419/)

For S/J Ship friendly OFF TOPIC chatter

click HERE (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=171486&posted=1#post171486)

tpe78
October 27th, 2004, 02:53 AM
Ok.. I'm here pulling up a comfy beanbag. I have my coffee and now all I need are my shipper family on the other side of the world to wake up and play. :D

I've had serious withdrawl's from all you guys.

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 02:56 AM
oooh hadn't thought of decorating this place. You know, beanbags sound good. How about some Sam and Jack pics on the walls, an expresso coffee machine maker, a fridge full of chocolate and lots of haagen daczs ice cream?

Bagpuss
October 27th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Excellent ! :D Thank you for the new Thread,Gipsy.I ship,but I like to have fun too,whilst I do it.
May I also suggest instant jello dispensers.Blue for Sam,red for Jack ?
*Instals cabinet stocked with Shipper Mugs*
*Sneaks in a Bagpuss mug too...as a spare,only,natch .* ;)

tpe78
October 27th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Don't forget to have the ice cube in the corner to keep Swimmy comfy too..

Now all we need is some of mala's wonderful art to brighten up the place.

And we need nana's cookies and mei mei's happy shipper pills.

And a stack of other stuff my limited buget doesn't cover all this wonderful stuff.

So feel free to pitch in and help.. :P

Bagpuss
October 27th, 2004, 03:30 AM
Got to install all that ! :D

Oh..Computers and VCR's so we can watch J/S (and other) vids,from our fave vid-makers.

*Downs Happy Pills*

Should we put the links to the Shipper Town Map etc,up ? :)

tpe78
October 27th, 2004, 03:32 AM
Got to install all that ! :D

Oh..Computers and VCR's so we can watch J/S (and other) vids,from our fave vid-makers.

*Downs Happy Pills*

Should we put the links to the Shipper Town Map etc,up ? :)

Don't forget the DVD player..P.S bring you sg1 dvd's too...

Bagpuss
October 27th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Sheesh..I forgot that ! :o
*Instals Multi-Region DVD player,and Widescreen TV.*
Lugs in the good stuff...no,not more food ! The Episodes for everyone to watch . :D

samisjacksgal
October 27th, 2004, 03:47 AM
did anyone remember to bring dr shipper?? :p :D

tpe78
October 27th, 2004, 03:49 AM

D'oh.. I new we forgot something.. (Have you got any spare. I've drunk all my supply.. ) :)

samisjacksgal
October 27th, 2004, 03:56 AM
D'oh.. I new we forgot something.. (Have you got any spare. I've drunk all my supply.. ) :)
ive drunk all mine too:S .......*rumages around* AHA i found diet dr shipper....any one want some? ;):D

by any chance are there ....cookies here *Carolyn goes insane again by lack of cookies and falls off her bean bag!* :D

tpe78
October 27th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Diet Dr shipper is good for me. *Takes long drink...*

So which dvd to start with Divide and Conquer, Beneath the surface, Grace.

Any other suggestions.

tpe78
October 27th, 2004, 04:19 AM
ive drunk all mine too:S .......*rumages around* AHA i found diet dr shipper....any one want some? ;):D

by any chance are there ....cookies here *Carolyn goes insane again by lack of cookies and falls off her bean bag!* :D

Ship Nana We need your cookies. :D

I can't cook to save my life so nobody let me near a kitchen.. ;)

Where's that secret stash I saw around here someone. *Lifts beanbag and couch cushions.*

astronomicalchick
October 27th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Ship Nana We need your cookies. :D

I can't cook to save my life so nobody let me near a kitchen.. ;)

Where's that secret stash I saw around here someone. *Lifts beanbag and couch cushions.*

Okay I am not sure about this two thread idea, it feels a bit like Shipper Family divided! I also feel quite frustrated at not being able to reply to the old thread easily.

but I'm bringing the penguins along with me, they get a bit stressed when they're moved.. but they might settle down.

Does anyone have Mala's email address or could email Mala and ask her to email me:

astronomicalchick@yahoo.co.uk

I just want to say how much I appreciate her. I didn't get a chance to say so because I'd been away from the thread and all this seems to have happened when I wasn't around.

Cheers

sueKay
October 27th, 2004, 04:51 AM

*burp*

Oh ehm

Sorry!

New SHIPment coming in later today!

sueKay
October 27th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Mala Come Back!!!!!!

Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseple Asepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseple Asepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseple Asepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseple Asepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseple Asepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

tpe78
October 27th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Okay I am not sure about this two thread idea, it feels a bit like Shipper Family divided! I also feel quite frustrated at not being able to reply to the old thread easily.

but I'm bringing the penguins along with me, they get a bit stressed when they're moved.. but they might settle down.

Does anyone have Mala's email address or could email Mala and ask her to email me:

astronomicalchick@yahoo.co.uk

I just want to say how much I appreciate her. I didn't get a chance to say so because I'd been away from the thread and all this seems to have happened when I wasn't around.

Cheers

Hi Astro chick.

Welcome and pull up a bean bag.. (We've currently lost the stash of shipper cookies. :S)

I believe that mala is still answering her PM's .

tpe78
October 27th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Mala Come Back!!!!!!

Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseple Asepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseple Asepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseple Asepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseple Asepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseple Asepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease
Welcome SueKay..

All right my addiction is getting the better of me. I heading for the kitchen to try and bake some. (Someone please be ready with the fire extigusher. You'll need it. :P)

Catysg1
October 27th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Mala is only taking a break ..I had a chat with her .... ;)

and I thought Jack looked really hot last night ...Sam was great too at the end with her earrings on to impress Jack ....I bet she also loves Jack in his uniform ..She kind of told him ..and to me ..That's why he went to get changed straight away ..just to please her first.Hehehehehehe :D

and I love shipper cookies but I don't eat them to much ..I watch my body shape ;)

Huhhhh.....I really enjoy all the fanarts SAM AND JACK ..watch out for my first collage ..in like ..a few weeks time probably.!!!! :rolleyes:

and Mala...please if you read this come back soon to post your new Sam and Jack spoiler pic ;)

Caty ;)

tpe78
October 27th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Mala is only taking a break ..I had a chat with her .... ;)

and I thought Jack looked really hot last night ...Sam was great too at the end with her earrings on to impress Jack ....I bet she also loves Jack in his uniform ..She kind of told him ..and to me ..That's why he went to get changed straight away ..just to please her first.Hehehehehehe :D

and I love shipper cookies but I don't eat them to much ..I watch my body shape ;)

Huhhhh.....I really enjoy all the fanarts SAM AND JACK ..watch out for my first collage ..in like ..a few weeks time probably.!!!! :rolleyes:

and Mala...please if you read this come back soon to post your new Sam and Jack spoiler pic ;)

Caty ;)

Welcome Caty..

I'm offically putting in a request. We need more of your wonderful vid's..(Hint Hint Nudge Nudge) .. :D

I figure that we'll work all the shipper cookies off when we finally get some more spoilers for the next part of the season. Not to mention when our SHIP finally come's in.

Can't wait to see your art as well.

:D

SEREN LWCH (MAL)
October 27th, 2004, 05:34 AM
This looks a great place! Reminds me of the old lunch room on the dephi forum.... I would stay longer but i'm off to bed now.

Night night all :-P

Mala50
October 27th, 2004, 05:39 AM
TO THE MODS:

I think that you have gone about this backwards.

1. First of all, I believe that the community of shippers that existed on Oct. 25 was quite capable of policing itself.
2. As agreed to by the moderators there, no new rules were necessary; we can post whatever we want on the thread as long as doesn't violate GW rules.
3. A division is being created by a few.
4. If there are some who don't like the 'fluffiness' or OT-ness of the Sam/Jack Shipper Thread, then they should be given a S/J Discussion Thread - clearly stating that ONLY posts with Sam, Jack, Ship, Love, Angst, Resolution will be allowed. (ok j/k - I can't help myself :p ).
5. Give the rest of us back the Sam/Jack Shippers Thread

To those of you who've asked that I return, I want to say THANK YOU!! and tell you how much I truly value you all. I appreciate the fact that you've felt I've contributed to the S/J family. My main aim was to add some humor and some 'art' to the S/J cause. I never thought that what I gave (or worked my a$$ off to share - really!) would have been seen as divisive. I also believe that I have been ON TOPIC more times than not. I don't rant or speculate. I don't do spoilers. But I will express my opinion. I do not accept that I was 'rude' or 'offensive' and deserved RED and gray dings for my post (#31744).

Please don't consider this post "my return". I'm not returning under the present conditions. I know ghettoization when I see it.

ghetto: A section of a city occupied by a minority group who live there especially because of social, economic, or legal pressure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/Mala50/Misc/pingu.gif

IF you want me, I'll be RDA Thunking.... I THUNK THEREFORE I AM.:D

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Well Mala that's a good point. Perhaps a place where people could have serious discussion would have been more suitable than a place where people could have fluffy discussion.

I'm sorry that I seem to have made things worse not better. It was well intentioned. And certainly no ghetto-isation was meant. Why should there be that in two threads, but none when there was just one thread?

Lunar
October 27th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Because the people that make a lot of what-could-be-considered OT posts feel they have to stay here and the people who tended to be more serious feel they should stay in the other thread??
That's not neccessarily what I think, just a suggestion. I dunno. I liked both parts of the shipper family and now I genuinely feel like I'm torn in two...

Catysg1
October 27th, 2004, 05:52 AM

WE LOVE YOU ..MALA .... :)

Caty ;)

Mala50
October 27th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Well Mala that's a good point. Perhaps a place where people could have serious discussion would have been more suitable than a place where people could have fluffy discussion.

I'm sorry that I seem to have made things worse not better. It was well intentioned. And certainly no ghetto-isation was meant. Why should there be that in two threads, but none when there was just one thread?Thank you, GateGipsy. I don't think things aren't fixable. Please consider what I've suggested. It's not too late.

I know you didn't mean to make things worse. :) As for ghettoization, maybe it's too harsh, but it reflects my sentiment. I feel that those who aren't deadly dull serious must go off and be fluffy... :S

Now, if you had named it the S/J SHIP REALLY COOL PLACE TO BE thread, then maybe I'd have accepted the change better! :p

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 05:54 AM
((((Lunar)))))

From my perspective, it seems strange that people don't want to chat in more than one thread. I love having several different Daniel discussions going at once, and I enjoy flicking between them. Being serious in one thread, and fluffy in another.

I don't want you to feel torn apart! But it seems like early days to say whether or not the shipper family is suited to two threads or just to one thread.

Or maybe it's just me - I'm a terrible mod who makes things worse not better, and goes stomping all over the place in her hobnailed boots when I should well leave things along! Arrrggghhh, maybe I should go find a rock somewhere...

Lunar
October 27th, 2004, 05:57 AM
((((((Gate gipsy))))) We're just awkward! :)
We know you were trying to help. I just get pleasure from moaning... j/k.

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Thank you, GateGipsy. I don't think things aren't fixable. Please consider what I've suggested. It's not too late.

I know you didn't mean to make things worse. :) As for ghettoization, maybe it's too harsh, but it reflects my sentiment. I feel that those who aren't deadly dull serious must go off and be fluffy... :S

Now, if you had named it the S/J SHIP REALLY COOL PLACE TO BE thread, then maybe I'd have accepted the change better! :p
Your wish is my command :)

Well, maybe I'll get flak for the name change now! It would be great for this to be a lunchroom type of place, where shipper folk could kick their shoes off, sit back, eat chocolate and watch DVDs whenever they needed to take a moment away from the world.

I just hope people don't see the new name a sort of competition (as in this is the cool shipper place and other threads aren't cool!).

tpe78
October 27th, 2004, 06:00 AM
((((Lunar)))))

From my perspective, it seems strange that people don't want to chat in more than one thread. I love having several different Daniel discussions going at once, and I enjoy flicking between them. Being serious in one thread, and fluffy in another.

I don't want you to feel torn apart! But it seems like early days to say whether or not the shipper family is suited to two threads or just to one thread.

Or maybe it's just me - I'm a terrible mod who makes things worse not better, and goes stomping all over the place in her hobnailed boots when I should well leave things along! Arrrggghhh, maybe I should go find a rock somewhere...

GateGipsy

Your a good mod. There a lot of stuff that was going on a couple of months ago that seems to have flared up again. Give it time things will settle down.

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 06:01 AM
((((((Gate gipsy))))) We're just awkward! :)
We know you were trying to help. I just get pleasure from moaning... j/k.
oh whew! does this mean you're going to bake us some shipper cookies? **bats eyelashes pleadingly**

astronomicalchick
October 27th, 2004, 06:02 AM
((((Lunar)))))

shush!!! don't think that... one of the good things to come out of that is that I've had a chance to chat to you and I've really appreciated that...

I'm still confused, I'm just going to post whatever in whatever thread and see how I get on. Worst thing that can happen is I get some red dings... or modded... :eek:

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 06:03 AM
aw thanks TPE. I don't feel so good right now! I do think I rushed in too quickly without thinking it through. But I also really like this thread! It's been fun.

I took up Mala's idea of a new name. What do you think? Does it match the new decor do you think (I believe it was going to get painted blue and red?).

tpe78
October 27th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Hey

I like the new name cause we've got to keep Swimmy cool other wise without any ship his going to get cranky.. (Does Swimmy have teeth???)

((Mala)) Thank you for stopping by. Your more then welcome at anytime.

((Lunar)) Don't feel divided. What's wrong with using both. We're not asking anyone to take sides. It's just a place where we can have fun and enjoy ourselves and our favourite couple.

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 06:06 AM
I've enjoyed talking to you too AstroChick (cool name by the way, hope you don't mind me shortening it!). I just don't have the time to get out like I used to, and since I don't post in the ship thread, I miss talking to lot of you guys. It's kind of good to get to know you all a bit better although I wish I wasn't feeling like such a dork at the moment!

Catysg1
October 27th, 2004, 06:09 AM
.Gategypsie ;)

You did nothing wrong ..just wanted to help ;)

so I applaude for the time you spent reading the thread to try to make things right ..It's always difficult to make everybody happy but at least you try ;)

Caty :)

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Thanks Caty, that means a lot.

I'll also try and keep the chat about this in here - I saw your post in the other thread. I didn't mean to derail the Ship Discussion thread!

Will you stick around and help us decorate this place a bit?:)

Lunar
October 27th, 2004, 06:13 AM
((Lunar)) Don't feel divided. What's wrong with using both. We're not asking anyone to take sides. It's just a place where we can have fun and enjoy ourselves and our favourite couple.

:) I know you don't want me to feel divided but I do. Because already, people are sticking to a particular thread. There's bad feeling in what was the shipper family. Mala is gone. Major Fischer and AstroChick feel like they've been forced out of one thread into another. And if I'm posting pretty much the same thing in both, why did they need to be split in the first place? I could have just posted something once and not had to repeat myself.
Anyway, that just happens to be how I feel about it... :(
I liked the old thread a lot. I didn't think it needed to change or divide or duplicate. To me, it was pretty much perfect the way it was.
So I'm grieving for it. And being downright cranky too. :o Sorry.

Bagpuss
October 27th, 2004, 06:14 AM
It's kind of good to get to know you all a bit better although I wish I wasn't feeling like such a dork at the moment!

:) ((((((((((Gipsy)))))))))) :)

None of this is your fault ! :) (And you are sooooo not of the "Dorkish" persuasion ! ;)

*Sending VR Purple cookie to aid Fuzzy Shipping*

I like the renaming....Re : Swimmy. Er,Penguins don't have teeth,(I think)so I've taken the liberty of liquidising some cookies in milk . :D

Maybe we'd better repost Ship Nana's list....I can't remember which cookies are which. :o

tpe78
October 27th, 2004, 06:14 AM
aw thanks TPE. I don't feel so good right now! I do think I rushed in too quickly without thinking it through. But I also really like this thread! It's been fun.

I took up Mala's idea of a new name. What do you think? Does it match the new decor do you think (I believe it was going to get painted blue and red?).

GateGipsy..

I'm a lan admin for my day job. So I know what it feels like to be the meat in the sandwhich. I have assumed full responsiblity for this thread as it was my idea and I emailed Madeline(sp?) this morning (Australia time) .. That's excatly what we want here is fun s/j.

Trust me it will die down.. (Just like my 10 hour server crash a few years ago. But that's a different story... :rolleyes: )

Besides I'm putting a new pot of coffee on.

Mala50
October 27th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Your wish is my command :)

Well, maybe I'll get flak for the name change now! It would be great for this to be a lunchroom type of place, where shipper folk could kick their shoes off, sit back, eat chocolate and watch DVDs whenever they needed to take a moment away from the world.

I just hope people don't see the new name a sort of competition (as in this is the cool shipper place and other threads aren't cool!).GateGipsy, I love that you are trying to be fair and want to do the right thing. But my last suggestion of the name change was me being facetiously serious because I do think those who want to rein in the majority of those on the Shippers Thread are not cool (jmo)... It is not cool in my book to try and control others when most don't feel it's needed.

OK, now I'm going to get FLAK.... BUT I STILL WANT THE SHIPPER THREAD BACK!

Give those who only want to discuss things without OT chatter their DISCUSSION THREAD. THAT I am SERIOUS about.

Lunar
October 27th, 2004, 06:17 AM
I'll also try and keep the chat about this in here - I saw your post in the other thread. I didn't mean to derail the Ship Discussion thread!

This kind of illustrates what I was on about... :(
People feel they can only post certain stuff in one thread and the other shippers who are sticking in one place (or are forced to by slow internet connections) are missing out.
I think I'm going to cry in a minute.

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 06:19 AM
:) I know you don't want me to feel divided but I do. Because already, people are sticking to a particular thread. There's bad feeling in what was the shipper family. Mala is gone. Major Fischer and AstroChick feel like they've been forced out of one thread into another. And if I'm posting pretty much the same thing in both, why did they need to be split in the first place? I could have just posted something once and not had to repeat myself.
I liked the old thread a lot. I didn't think it needed to change or divide or duplicate. To me, it was pretty much perfect the way it was.
Lunar, you and Major Fisher and AstroChick could all be perfectly correct. There is absolutely no need for another thread. In which case this one will quietly die off.

So no need to get yourself worried about this now! Give it time. One of two things will happen. Either this thread will die off, or the two threads will establish completely seperate identities with the same people posting quite happily in both.

And if neither of these things happen, I will renounce my on the fence status, and become a Sam/Jack Shipper :)

MartoufMarty
October 27th, 2004, 06:24 AM
... I honestly think there's getting to many threads here. There's this thread, the Sam/Jack shipper's thread, and for off-topic the Chatter Thread. :S

Lunar
October 27th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Shrug
You're probably right. But I still feel like we've been split in two and that we'll never be unified under that family title again. I guess I should just stop caring and stick in the thread I end up liking the most as I hate bouncing and cross-posting.

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 06:25 AM
oh darn it Mala, I had thought you meant that seriously! Sorry, brain is so obviously not engaged. I'm an idiot, it's official!

OK I have to go to a meeting now - will be in them all afternoon. But I hear your point, and will see what can be done. Just out of interest, before I stomped in with my boots on and muddied everything up, did you think the Ship thread was OK now, with the situation solved?

Lunar
October 27th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Did you think the Ship thread was OK now, with the situation solved?

Sadly, maybe I was blind, but I did. :rolleyes:

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Mala, the one problem that I have is that if I create a thread for 'serious' discussion, then does that mean no serious discussion in the current Ship thread? At the moment, your argument is that you want to have fluff and serious in the Shipper thread, and that I've ruined that by taking the fluff out. But then won't I be doing the same if I take the serious out?

We already tried creating a thread specifically for off topic chat, but that didn't work.

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Shrug
You're probably right. But I still feel like we've been split in two and that we'll never be unified under that family title again. I guess I should just stop caring and stick in the thread I end up liking the most as I hate bouncing and cross-posting.
what about archiving both these threads and starting again with a new title entirely - the Shipper Family thread? I really liked Replicarter's first post in the latest Ship thread. Maybe we could start it with that.

Lunar
October 27th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Now I feel like a petulent child who's whining to get their own way! :)
You're never going to win with me Gipsy! I *am* completely deranged!
I... I don't know. Maybe it needs to be put to some sort of vote because if the majority like it this way, it may as well stay this way. I don't want to rock the boat anymore than I already have... I...I just woke up this morning as wondered why we now had two threads and complained about it cos I liked the old one.
ETA: I think I'll just do what MF is, and stick in the old one. That's not meant to be offensive to anyone here, or to this thread's creators. I just... like clinging to the happy memories of old times and can wallow in reminiscent misery over there...
And yes, now I'm being stupid. :p

Mala50
October 27th, 2004, 06:34 AM
oh darn it Mala, I had thought you meant that seriously! Sorry, brain is so obviously not engaged. I'm an idiot, it's official!

OK I have to go to a meeting now - will be in them all afternoon. But I hear your point, and will see what can be done. Just out of interest, before I stomped in with my boots on and muddied everything up, did you think the Ship thread was OK now, with the situation solved?Oh, GateGipsy, you're not an idiot... but you being a mod, does your saying it's official make it official?? :p

I want to be clear that I think that the thread before all the brouhaha (say that with a smile!) came up was going along as well as could be expected during a hiatus. People were bored. People were speculating. People were doing dumb stuff (don't look at me)... But in time the place has always righted itself. Those of us who have fun know how to create a BALANCE between the two. I'm an adult. I know I'm way older than those who came in and started lecturing. I'm sorry if there are some who don't like the chatter. Some people jump right in and have no problems with it. But if there are others who would LIKE a more serious place, then I say, give it to them! Just don't take the original place away and make those of us who want to laugh and say hello or HAPPY BIRTHDAY feel uncomfortable doing so.

mishy_mo
October 27th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Well my family (and I will return to this FACT later) we have been busy.

Two threads.

I will admit I have not been around for the bulk of the debate (or any of it for that matter however I have had several unofficial updates) however I am sure that several points on BOTH sides were warranted and valid.

On the other hand I am disappointed that we are now divided.

I can only give my opinion on what it was like before, and while I did in enjoy the friendly and relaxed atmosphere, the prolonged off topicness did annoy me however not to the point where I felt it so bad that I could not stand it, on occasion I myself did join in although my primary reason for posting would usually be the subject of Sam and Jack.

SO now that I’m on topic lets discuss this, shall we?

Friends, Family, Shippers; lend me your eyes.

( well your reading aren’t you?)

How in the hell are we ever going to get a resolution if we can not be content with those who share our goal?

Granted every one is different, every one has some point of view, I will even go as far as to say that Anti-shippers should be included in this speech as well as even they want a resolution, even though it may be different form ours.

The TPTB will not pay attention to a single shipper, one person can not achieve anything on a grand scale but a community and family of over 200 may have a little more swing.

Together we can achieve so much more, though we may have differences we all have ONE common factor and that is Sam and Jack. That is Stargate.

Everyone who has ever entered the shipper thread has done so because they have wanted these two fantastic characters to get together, I ask how can that ever be attained if WE, the fans, the ones who keep the show in business, the cause for which the show and the ship was created can not stand together and ask for what we want.

I am disappointed, but as they say you can not choose your family.

And we are a family.

We share so much more than our passion for the show, we share each others lives as well. Helping each other through hard times and laughing together through the good. The rollercoaster of ship and our lives brings us here for support, where we have so readily received it in the past and no doubt will some time in the future, because I see dark times ahead of us. A lot must happen before our ship can come in.

And so I leave you with one final comment.

United we Stand. Divided we Fall.

Token
October 27th, 2004, 06:40 AM
I lost my internet connection last night, and I wake up to find....I'm not sure.:S I haven't read the Shipper Discussion Thread yet to see what happened, but I will add my two cents to this discussion.

For me the Shipper Discussion Thread moves so fast that it is the only thing I have time to keep up with. I can't even keep up with the Thunk Thread.:( I hope the Shipper Family does not become divided. I think that if the S/J Shipper Discussion Thread was like most threads here at GW then multiple S/J threads could be supported, but I feel we are more than a thread; we are a Family. And the Family needs to stay together. Just like a Family, we have disagreements and growing pains, but we are a kind-hearted, loving, supportive Family that will find the happy-place balance we all want.

Maybe the S/J Shipper Discussion Thread should be renamed the "S/J Shipper Family Thread".

JMHO :)

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Oh, GateGipsy, you're not an idiot... but you being a mod, does your saying it's official make it official?? :p

I want to be clear that I think that the thread before all the brouhaha (say that with a smile!) came up was going along as well as could be expected during a hiatus. People were bored. People were speculating. People were doing dumb stuff (don't look at me)... But in time the place has always righted itself. Those of us who have fun know how to create a BALANCE between the two. I'm an adult. I know I'm way older than those who came in and starting lecturing. I'm sorry if there are some who don't like the chatter. Some people jump right in and have no problems with it. But if there are others who would LIKE a more serious place, then I say, give it to them! Just don't take this place away and make those of us who want to laugh and say hello or HAPPY BIRTHDAY feel uncomfortable doing so.
ROFLMAO! **note to self, never ever get in a battle of wits with Mala**

Well, right now I do definitely feel like it is official. I've made the ship family feel like they're being divided up, and that wasn't my intention at all! So what can I say, except I'm an idiot.

**curls up on one of the bean bags**

And I still haven't been given any cookies...

Token
October 27th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by GateGipsy
Did you think the Ship thread was OK now, with the situation solved?

Sadly, maybe I was blind, but I did. :rolleyes:
Me too. :S

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 06:44 AM
I lost my internet connection last night, and I wake up to find....I'm not sure.:S I haven't read the Shipper Discussion Thread yet to see what happened, but I will add my two cents to this discussion.

For me the Shipper Discussion Thread moves so fast that it is the only thing I have time to keep up with. I can't even keep up with the Thunk Thread.:( I hope the Shipper Family does not become divided. I think that if the S/J Shipper Discussion Thread was like most threads here at GW then multiple S/J threads could be supported, but I feel we are more than a thread; we are a Family. And the Family needs to stay together. Just like a Family, we have disagreements and growing pains, but we are a kind-hearted, loving, supportive Family that will find the happy-place balance we all want.

Maybe the S/J Shipper Discussion Thread should be renamed the "S/J Shipper Family Thread".

JMHO :)
Should we have a poll?

- Archive both threads, and start a new S/J Shipper Family Thread
- Start a new S/J Shipper Family Thread, plus a Ship Discussion Thread with a strict no topic rule, for serious ship chat.
- Start a new S/J Shipper Family Thread, and keep this thread for fluffy and off-topic-ish talk
- Keep both threads as they are for now and see what happens
- Merge this thread into the S/J Shipper Discussion thread and never speak of this again

Those are the options that I've come up with. Let me know what other options you might want/don't want, and I'll put it all together when I get back from my meeting.

Lunar
October 27th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Should we have a poll?

That's what I'd vote for...

Mala50
October 27th, 2004, 06:48 AM

Well, right now I do definitely feel like it is official. I've made the ship family feel like they're being divided up, and that wasn't my intention at all! So what can I say, except I'm an idiot.

And I still haven't been given any cookies...OK, now I know you have meetings to go to... and I have work to do (I'm my own boss and I'm putting myself on notice, right now! :) ) But you didn't do the dividing... I think it was the responsibility of those who complained and wanted rules enforced who were being divisive. There are ways of speaking to people that could have made the point better. I felt put off by what I thought was undue criticism and threats.

Now, please be careful on that bean bag! I've seen many people lose their balance and slide right off! ;)

As for cookies, well I haven't had any either. I need a cup of coffee, though.

Thanks for being so responsive! :)

Lunar
October 27th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Er... can we post the poll on the other shipper board too??

astronomicalchick
October 27th, 2004, 06:51 AM

And I still haven't been given any cookies...

(((((((((Gypsy)))))))))))

and here's a cookie... the shipper conversion cookie...

*cough*

Token
October 27th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Should we have a poll?

- Start a new S/J Shipper Family Thread, plus a Ship Discussion Thread with a strict no topic rule, for serious ship chat.
- Start a new S/J Shipper Family Thread, and keep this thread for fluffy and off-topic-ish talk
- Merge this thread into the S/J Shipper Discussion thread and never speak of this again

Those are the options that I've come up with. Let me know what other options you might want/don't want, and I'll put it all together when I get back from my meeting.

This is my vote. It conveys the true meaning of the S/J Shipper Discussion Thread. IMO, we shippers need to stop trying to settle for second best (like Sam) and determine to have what we want. I want to have serious discussions about Sam and Jack and enjoy the "fun & fluff" of friends. I want it all! *stomps foot*

Do I sound like a whinny Shipper?? :p

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 06:55 AM
Er... can we post the poll on the other shipper board too??
I've posted a link to this thread here in the other shipper thread, so that we can discuss the options in here as I don't want to derail the other thread any more than I have done already.

Then we can either post the poll for voting in this thread, or start a new thread entirely.

Which do people think would be the better option?

blueiris
October 27th, 2004, 06:56 AM
OK, now I'm going to get FLAK.... BUT I STILL WANT THE SHIPPER THREAD BACK!

Give those who only want to discuss things without OT chatter their DISCUSSION THREAD. THAT I am SERIOUS about.

I have to agree, I want the Shipper Thread back. I don't have much time to read through the posts, so the Shipper and RDA/Jack threads are the main ones I try to keep up with. I like to read all that is posted in these 2 threads or as much as possible. But with all these different shipper threads, I know I'll never be able to keep up or know whats going on.

Of course, because I'm not a *regular* or *as frequent* poster I know my opinion doesn't matter as much, but that would be my vote if there was one.

However it goes, I love the shipper thread(s). I love Sam and Jack. It took me awhile to get used to this format after Delphi, so I guess I am capable of adapting. But to quote (as close as I can) from the movie "You've Got Mail", "change just means that something is happening that you didn't want to happen." No, that is not always the case, but quite often it is.

It won't be long till my ship comes in.

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 06:57 AM
(((((((((Gypsy)))))))))))

and here's a cookie... the shipper conversion cookie...

*cough*
ROFL! Sneaky! Ack well, I have missed my lunch now so I'm going to eat it anyway....

Say what are those pretty colours? And wow there are hearts floating all around me...what is this strange place I'm in? ....

samisjacksgal
October 27th, 2004, 06:59 AM

This is my vote. It conveys the true meaning of the S/J Shipper Discussion Thread. IMO, we shippers need to stop trying to settle for second best (like Sam) and determine to have what we want. I want to have serious discussions about Sam and Jack and enjoy the "fun & fluff" of friends. I want it all! *stomps foot*

well said token well said :D

i agree i think we should archive both threads and start a new s/j shipper family thread :)

blueiris
October 27th, 2004, 07:02 AM

[font=Book Antiqua] IMO, we shippers need to stop trying to settle for second best [size=2](like Sam)

I agree. (I left rep pts. but forgot to sign my name)

marimba26
October 27th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Just a few comments--

Mala--glad you're still reading at least! I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY don't want you to go but if you must I understand... Though I will miss your art terribly!

tpe--Love your sig!!

Gategipsy--No, you're not bad for doing this! You have good intentions and time will tell if it works. As for the fence-sitting, we must see what we can do about that!

I agree with whoever said that the divisions seem to be caused by a few (was that you Lunar?). As for me, I've been ignoring most of the garbage bc I simply don't want to get involved. I post just like I have always posted--part serious, part fluff--and I don't plan on changing that bc a few are griping. I feel as long as I am nice to everyone and I'm not spending ALL my time on fluff, then I am hurting no one. There will always be someone to gripe and the sheer number of people who are around the shipper thread now dictate that it will be more than one person.

For those who are burnt, a break will do you good. I've been taking one for the last couple of weeks and I definitely recommend it. Personally, I was too frustrated by all the goings on around here. I was tired of the sniping (getting to remind me of the Sam and Jack list folks). We all AGREE on the basic issue, FCOL!!!!!! SAM AND JACK SHOULD BE TOGETHER! End of story. Those who don't agree don't hang out here so I simply can't understand why the bickering other than sheer boredom from having nothing to discuss!

As for the OTness, I like a bit of OT here and there and the stuff I don't care about I just ignore. I read the first bit and if it's fluff and I don't feel like reading fluff then I move on, no big deal. I've always liked the way the shippers can banter and have fun without taking things too seriously. Has that gone away? Is the shipper family broken?

Are we taking this so seriously now that we must attack each other because we don't feel someone else is as serious as we are? That's what happened on Sam and Jack folks. That's EXACTLY why I dropped off the list. Those that have been there know what I'm talking about. Those that haven't, it was awful. Shippers sniping at each other and tearing each other apart bc they didn't exactly agree on everything (mainly Pete)--is that what you want here? It's NOT what I want. We are all allowed to express our varying opinions keeping in mind that we agree on the fundamental statement of this thread--SAM AND JACK SHOULD BE TOGETHER.

I think I'm done ranting now, I just wanted to say enough already! We were having a good time before and there's absolutely no reason why that can't be so again. If you have a problem with someone being too OT, then feel free to skim through their posts or PM them or even put them on ignore. It's that simple. Just DON'T bring it to the thread!!!!!!! It causes nothing but division!
And division is the LAST thing anyone wants! :eek:

K, I'm done, ding away.

I'm cross-posting this in both threads so everyone will see it

marimba26
October 27th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Should we have a poll?

I vote for this option

Blaise
October 27th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Agreed! I want it all too! Let's stomp our feet together :)

Nothing wrong with a whine here and there... ;)

blueiris
October 27th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Well my family (and I will return to this FACT later) we have been busy.

Two threads.

I will admit I have not been around for the bulk of the debate (or any of it for that matter however I have had several unofficial updates) however I am sure that several points on BOTH sides were warranted and valid.

On the other hand I am disappointed that we are now divided.

I can only give my opinion on what it was like before, and while I did in enjoy the friendly and relaxed atmosphere, the prolonged off topicness did annoy me however not to the point where I felt it so bad that I could not stand it, on occasion I myself did join in although my primary reason for posting would usually be the subject of Sam and Jack.

SO now that I’m on topic lets discuss this, shall we?

Friends, Family, Shippers; lend me your eyes.

( well your reading aren’t you?)

How in the hell are we ever going to get a resolution if we can not be content with those who share our goal?

Granted every one is different, every one has some point of view, I will even go as far as to say that Anti-shippers should be included in this speech as well as even they want a resolution, even though it may be different form ours.

The TPTB will not pay attention to a single shipper, one person can not achieve anything on a grand scale but a community and family of over 200 may have a little more swing.

Together we can achieve so much more, though we may have differences we all have ONE common factor and that is Sam and Jack. That is Stargate.

Everyone who has ever entered the shipper thread has done so because they have wanted these two fantastic characters to get together, I ask how can that ever be attained if WE, the fans, the ones who keep the show in business, the cause for which the show and the ship was created can not stand together and ask for what we want.

I am disappointed, but as they say you can not choose your family.

And we are a family.

We share so much more than our passion for the show, we share each others lives as well. Helping each other through hard times and laughing together through the good. The rollercoaster of ship and our lives brings us here for support, where we have so readily received it in the past and no doubt will some time in the future, because I see dark times ahead of us. A lot must happen before our ship can come in.

And so I leave you with one final comment.

United we Stand. Divided we Fall.

As a person who drops in from time to time and tries to read as much as possible in that time, let me say:

I agree with you. I was so disappointed today when I realized what had happened. I know everyone has different opinions, but I really loved reading through *all* of the posts. Yes, I read through some, skim some, and skip some, but it was never a problem. But I can be a Borg, I can adapt if I have to.

Critter
October 27th, 2004, 07:15 AM

I must agree with Token here...I like the "old" way. I don't mind the OT too much. I am pretty good at passing those by. The bad thing with that is that sometimes I probably miss something good they want to say because I think they are chatting....but that's the way the thread flows....Thanks for taking the flack on this Gate Gypsy. You sure are brave!!!! :D

Mala50
October 27th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Just a few comments--

Mala--glad you're still reading at least! I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY don't want you to go but if you must I understand... Though I will miss your art terribly!

tpe--Love your sig!!

Gategipsy--No, you're not bad for doing this! You have good intentions and time will tell if it works. As for the fence-sitting, we must see what we can do about that!

I agree with whoever said that the divisions seem to be caused by a few (was that you Lunar?). As for me, I've been ignoring most of the garbage bc I simply don't want to get involved. I post just like I have always posted--part serious, part fluff--and I don't plan on changing that bc a few are griping. I feel as long as I am nice to everyone and I'm not spending ALL my time on fluff, then I am hurting no one. There will always be someone to gripe and the sheer number of people who are around the shipper thread now dictate that it will be more than one person.

For those who are burnt, a break will do you good. I've been taking one for the last couple of weeks and I definitely recommend it. Personally, I was too frustrated by all the goings on around here. I was tired of the sniping (getting to remind me of the Sam and Jack list folks). We all AGREE on the basic issue, FCOL!!!!!! SAM AND JACK SHOULD BE TOGETHER! End of story. Those who don't agree don't hang out here so I simply can't understand why the bickering other than sheer boredom from having nothing to discuss!

As for the OTness, I like a bit of OT here and there and the stuff I don't care about I just ignore. I read the first bit and if it's fluff and I don't feel like reading fluff then I move on, no big deal. I've always liked the way the shippers can banter and have fun without taking things too seriously. Has that gone away? Is the shipper family broken?

Are we taking this so seriously now that we must attack each other because we don't feel someone else is as serious as we are? That's what happened on Sam and Jack folks. That's EXACTLY why I dropped off the list. Those that have been there know what I'm talking about. Those that haven't, it was awful. Shippers sniping at each other and tearing each other apart bc they didn't exactly agree on everything (mainly Pete)--is that what you want here? It's NOT what I want. We are all allowed to express our varying opinions keeping in mind that we agree on the fundamental statement of this thread--SAM AND JACK SHOULD BE TOGETHER.

I think I'm done ranting now, I just wanted to say enough already! We were having a good time before and there's absolutely no reason why that can't be so again. If you have a problem with someone being too OT, then feel free to skim through their posts or PM them or even put them on ignore. It's that simple. Just DON'T bring it to the thread!!!!!!! It causes nothing but division!

K, I'm done, ding away.

I'm cross-posting this in both threads so everyone will see itMarimba!!! I dinged you GREEN... (I don't do red).

I'm still undecided whether to stay or leave. I want to see how this whole thing plays out. There are some who didn't like the way the thread was going who haven't been online yet. They need a chance to express their opinion. I don't want two threads, but if those who can't cope with OTness want a place for serious discussion only, then they should have that choice.

I want to say to you, though, how much I appreciate your words - you and Tame are the ones who brought me here in the first place and I've missed you.

Major Fischer
October 27th, 2004, 07:21 AM
I think I'm for the shipper family thread. Perhaps than people wont feel so put off by the large number of penguins wondering around.

astronomicalchick
October 27th, 2004, 07:23 AM
I must agree with Token here...I like the "old" way. I don't mind the OT too much. I am pretty good at passing those by. The bad thing with that is that sometimes I probably miss something good they want to say because I think they are chatting....but that's the way the thread flows....Thanks for taking the flack on this Gate Gypsy. You sure are brave!!!! :D

just like to add my vote to Critter, Token, Blueiris's...

Blueiris, just because you don't post as often DOES NOT make you view any less valid...

(((((((((((shippers)))))))))))))

astronomicalchick
October 27th, 2004, 07:24 AM
I think I'm for the shipper family thread. Perhaps than people wont feel so put off by the large number of penguins wondering around.

you're glowing m'dear....

Blaise
October 27th, 2004, 07:24 AM
I didn't even know what rep points were untill a few days a go. I think I gave someone an approval a few weeks a go, but i didn't realise those were the things responsible for the green jello squares! :) I decided it was time to read the FAQ :)

astronomicalchick
October 27th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Just a few comments--

tpe--Love your sig!!

K, I'm done, ding away.

I'm cross-posting this in both threads so everyone will see it

What she said...

wynter
October 27th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Should we have a poll?

Those are the options that I've come up with. Let me know what other options you might want/don't want, and I'll put it all together when I get back from my meeting.gate gipsy i know you were trying to please every-one you are not to blame.

i must admit i would miss ship nanas cookies,talking about:eek: ,talking about other sg1 crew,tames kittens,and i'll even miss the penguins.i always thought if some people got upset we would freely tell them and things would start calming down.if any-one did get fed up we would quiet down on that particular subject but we are a family and things would be too boring if we talked on one subject all the time(even though we are here for sam and Jack)
I want us to get back how we used to be,and all the newbies please feel free to speak up,at 1st it is quite daunting posting some-where new where people do know each other,but we have all been there and have come miles,we would never direspect a new person and it is refreshing to have new ideas and posts on the thread.
I would like to archive the 2 threads,but one thing i wouldn't want discussed is the rep points as this is one of the negatives along with the positives we have with the thread.I was given a grey one but that doesn't bother me i got my opinion out how i felt at the time,most agreed with me and some didn't but thats up to the individual.
please resolve this negative vibe before it destroys us,Can you imagine Joe M
checking in on us and this has happened he may lose the faith and he is our super trooper.

wynterxx

Major Fischer
October 27th, 2004, 07:26 AM
you're glowing m'dear....

Tame will be happy, she keeps wanting not to feel like a freak ;)

astronomicalchick
October 27th, 2004, 07:26 AM
ROFL! Sneaky! Ack well, I have missed my lunch now so I'm going to eat it anyway....

Say what are those pretty colours? And wow there are hearts floating all around me...what is this strange place I'm in? ....

*hands in pockets whistling*

"and another strikes the dust"

wynter
October 27th, 2004, 07:27 AM
I didn't even know what rep points were untill a few days a go. I think I gave someone an approval a few weeks a go, but i didn't realise those were the things responsible for the green jello squares! :) I decided it was time to read the FAQ :)
to be honest i didn't realise what they were aswell,but we shouldn't let silly rep points come between us.i do approve of posts but if i haven't i don't go in and say i dissaprove because its some-ones opinion.

wynterxx

Watters87
October 27th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Should we have a poll?

I vote for this one :)

Bagpuss
October 27th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Should we have a poll?

I vote for this option,as it seems the most unifying,solution,IMO. :)
Let the Shipping get back on track.Together.No scapegoating or "dissing" required.

Up to the majority decision. :D

misstweedledee
October 27th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Hey *waves*

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Would someone like to explain to a rather confused person over here whats going on ?

We have too threads ?

What's the difference ?

Is there a difference ?

Am i in the right place ?

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I'm all ill please don't confuse me like this,:( just tell me whats going on.
I am putting this post in both threads so hopefully somone can explain

I am goin to go and sit in the corner, with some cookies, dr shipper and put my fingers in my ears and sing LA LA LA LA LA, this usually works in resolving my problems :)

Someone help

Leanne :D

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Hold your voting for now. What I will do is actually start a poll, and you can all vote on that. We'll leave it up for at least a day - maybe we should leave it up for two days? Just to make sure that everyone gets to vote no matter what time zone they're in.

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Hey *waves*

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Would someone like to explain to a rather confused person over here whats going on ?

We have too threads ?

What's the difference ?

Is there a difference ?

Am i in the right place ?

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I'm all ill please don't confuse me like this,:( just tell me whats going on.
I am putting this post in both threads so hopefully somone can explain

I am goin to go and sit in the corner, with some cookies, dr shipper and put my fingers in my ears and sing LA LA LA LA LA, this usually works in resolving my problems :)

Someone help

Leanne :D
hoo boy I'm not sure I can explain, it has all happend so quickly, and a LOT has happened today! Best suggestion is to read back over this thread to get an idea of what's been happening.

Kri
October 27th, 2004, 08:05 AM

Hi all! I vote to go back to the way things were with the entire SHIPPER FAMILY! I had no difficulty skimming :D

florence
October 27th, 2004, 08:12 AM
As a person who drops in from time to time and tries to read as much as possible in that time, let me say:

I agree with you. I was so disappointed today when I realized what had happened. I know everyone has different opinions, but I really loved reading through *all* of the posts. Yes, I read through some, skim some, and skip some, but it was never a problem. But I can be a Borg, I can adapt if I have to.

I agree with you. I don't have much time to read all the posts in one thread so if there's 2 threads, I just couldn't do it and I think I'd let it drop :(
I don't post often cause most of the time I just would have to say "Yes, that's just what I'm thinking !".
But I LOVE to be in this place so I can see I'm not the only one seeing sparks between Sam and Jack (isn't it obvious by the way :) ?)
I LOVE to read serious stuff and fun stuff at the same time. And posts I don't want to read, i just skip them.

So PLEASE find a solution soon because I'm feeling a bit lost right now :(

blueiris
October 27th, 2004, 08:17 AM
I agree with you. I don't have much time to read all the posts in one thread so if there's 2 threads, I just couldn't do it and I think I'd let it drop :(
I don't post often cause most of the time I just would have to say "Yes, that's just what I'm thinking !".
But I LOVE to be in this place so I can see I'm not the only one seeing sparks between Sam and Jack (isn't it obvious by the way :) ?)
I LOVE to read serious stuff and fun stuff at the same time. And posts I don't want to read, i just skip them.

So PLEASE find a solution soon because I'm feeling a bit lost right now :(

Sometimes I wish I could change my name to, "Yes, I agree with that", but then again, I know "How can you say I agree to that", my alternate personality would start rearing its disagreeable head.

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 08:24 AM
OK the poll is now set up! Please start your voting.

I've only put the poll in here, rather than confuse things by running two polls in each thread. I'll put a direction in the other thread for people to come here and vote.

Kri
October 27th, 2004, 08:28 AM
OK the poll is now set up! Please start your voting.

I've only put the poll in here, rather than confuse things by running two polls in each thread. I'll put a direction in the other thread for people to come here and vote.

Thanks for trying to help us out!

Blaise
October 27th, 2004, 08:30 AM
ditto! :)

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 08:31 AM
cheers but I can't help but feel that I'm only fixing what I broke in the first place! Ah well. Live and learn :)

Blaise
October 27th, 2004, 08:36 AM
cheers but I can't help but feel that I'm only fixing what I broke in the first place! Ah well. Live and learn :)
Ah, don't worry, that's what lifes all about. You were only what you thought was the right thing to do, it just wasn't nescessarily the right thing for this particular group.

I hope everyone is happy and smiling again when i wake up tomorrow :)

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 08:38 AM
me too!

sueKay
October 27th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Hello there!

I've cooled down a bit now.

I voted, but I want to change my mind, so deduct one vote from the last option.

I think we should archive both threads, and start with the FAMILY thread.

That's what we are - a family!

Sure we fight (over cookies and penguins and potatos :D)
Sure we can get all antsy and annoy each other

But

WE LOVE EACH OTHER!!!!!!!

AND...

WE LOVE SAM AND JACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

anywho...

Astro - clear your mailbox so I can PM you!

Suz

sueKay
October 27th, 2004, 09:01 AM
((((((((((((((GG)))))))))))))

You're NOT an idiot!!!!

We're just hard to please!

I'd give you rep, but I'm not allowed to give out any for 24 hours.

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 09:07 AM
not hard to please, just loyal :) Here I come, an outsider, stomping in in my number 16 hobnailed boots (not mine really - I borrowed MC's!) and stamping on all the pansies and peonies. No wonder people got upset!

SueKay I have done as you asked, but I don't know how to change the vote on your system - I think that it is cached on your PC. Therefore it will show you as having voted for the last option, but I have moved your vote to the first option.

sueKay
October 27th, 2004, 09:13 AM
not hard to please, just loyal :) Here I come, an outsider, stomping in in my number 16 hobnailed boots (not mine really - I borrowed MC's!) and stamping on all the pansies and peonies. No wonder people got upset!

SueKay I have done as you asked, but I don't know how to change the vote on your system - I think that it is cached on your PC. Therefore it will show you as having voted for the last option, but I have moved your vote to the first option.

Thanks!

It's went down by one on my monitor, so it should be okay.

BTW: You have NOTHING to apologise for! You thought that what you were doing was the best thing! Nobody can blame you for that!

I certainly don't!

Anyways

We love having you around!

GateGipsy
October 27th, 2004, 09:15 AM
thanks!

Madeleine
October 27th, 2004, 09:33 AM
I'm just wondering:

Who will be harmed by the existence of two S/J therads? Most (but not all) of the regulars here seem to want the system that we've had for the past few months to remain as it is. Well, the thread that we have always had will certainly still exist, and it can continue to be used in the way it always has been. I don't think anyone is going to stop that from happening (unless I'm seriously missing something).

So if a new thread were created to complement the current thread, what would be the problem? Several people have indicated that a serious thread is what they would like, and I can see no reason, within the GW rules, to deny them that. Even if some of them are newbies. I've had numerous PMs over the months from lurkers and newbies here who've felt left out. I've tried a number of tactics: I've PM'd a couple of regulars asking them to keep an eye out for ___ and try to respond to her post number xxx, cos she was feeling left out and unwanted. Another time I posted here in the thread stating that I had been made aware that people found it a problem. I fully understand what good friends many of the regulars here have become as a result largely of this particular thread, and there's no doubt that it's special character is important to the posters here, and dare I say it even to GW as a whole. But there are S/J shippers who are more interested in discussing ship, just discussing, than they are in being a part of what this thread means; and I feel that they are entitled to a therad tha suits their purposes. (I *love* the Daniel Discussion thread, but would possibly not bother with it if there was not a seperate thunk thread; I can't handle as much thunking as goes on in the thunk thread; I feel that may be a parallel for some posters and lurkers in this thread.)

Some people have said that we shouldn't have multiple therads because it would split the Shipper Family. While I can see why that would sadden some, I'd feel uneasy about keeping together a family where some of the adult members wanted to leave home for pastures new.

There will always be a thread where nattering about cookies and making maps and other special things will be as welcome as S/J talk. I can't see any harm in adding another thread for the serious stuff, as no one will be forced into either thread if they don't want to go there.

So far the only options that are doing well at all both involve ending up with only one thread. If anyone can explain to me why this would be a good thing please do, it would set my mind at ease. And if anyone can explain how I can use the GW rules to justify the mods allowing only one S/J thread, please do, cos I'd like whatever happens to fit the GW rules.

No offence meant to anyone. I know why you care deeply enough to get heated at times.

:)

yoojoo
October 27th, 2004, 09:38 AM
OOOOOOOOO, a new place to play!!!! YAY!!! *does a happy dance*
now let me get this straight which one is this, "the stay on topic or we will incenerate you thread" or the "just talk sam and jack fluff and whatever comes to your mind thread" :p

Kri
October 27th, 2004, 09:50 AM
OOOOOOOOO, a new place to play!!!! YAY!!! *does a happy dance*
now let me get this straight which one is this, "the stay on topic or we will incenerate you thread" or the "just talk sam and jack fluff and whatever comes to your mind thread" :p

That is what we are trying to figure out. Madeline brings up a good point that it might not do any harm to have a "serious" discussion thread. However, there are many of us who will feel inhibited about what we post on the Family board.

astronomicalchick
October 27th, 2004, 10:20 AM
I'm just wondering:

Who will be harmed by the existence of two S/J therads? Most (but not all) of the regulars here seem to want the system that we've had for the past few months to remain as it is. Well, the thread that we have always had will certainly still exist, and it can continue to be used in the way it always has been. I don't think anyone is going to stop that from happening (unless I'm seriously missing something).

So if a new thread were created to complement the current thread, what would be the problem? Several people have indicated that a serious thread is what they would like, and I can see no reason, within the GW rules, to deny them that. Even if some of them are newbies. I've had numerous PMs over the months from lurkers and newbies here who've felt left out. I've tried a number of tactics: I've PM'd a couple of regulars asking them to keep an eye out for ___ and try to respond to her post number xxx, cos she was feeling left out and unwanted. Another time I posted here in the thread stating that I had been made aware that people found it a problem. I fully understand what good friends many of the regulars here have become as a result largely of this particular thread, and there's no doubt that it's special character is important to the posters here, and dare I say it even to GW as a whole. But there are S/J shippers who are more interested in discussing ship, just discussing, than they are in being a part of what this thread means; and I feel that they are entitled to a therad tha suits their purposes. (I *love* the Daniel Discussion thread, but would possibly not bother with it if there was not a seperate thunk thread; I can't handle as much thunking as goes on in the thunk thread; I feel that may be a parallel for some posters and lurkers in this thread.)

Some people have said that we shouldn't have multiple therads because it would split the Shipper Family. While I can see why that would sadden some, I'd feel uneasy about keeping together a family where some of the adult members wanted to leave home for pastures new.

There will always be a thread where nattering about cookies and making maps and other special things will be as welcome as S/J talk. I can't see any harm in adding another thread for the serious stuff, as no one will be forced into either thread if they don't want to go there.

So far the only options that are doing well at all both involve ending up with only one thread. If anyone can explain to me why this would be a good thing please do, it would set my mind at ease. And if anyone can explain how I can use the GW rules to justify the mods allowing only one S/J thread, please do, cos I'd like whatever happens to fit the GW rules.

No offence meant to anyone. I know why you care deeply enough to get heated at times.

This made me think again.

I think a serious ship thread is a good idea. When I first became a shipper all I wanted to do was talk about Sam and Jack and feed my obsession. I joined Gateworld on Delphi and joined in the discussion, I can remember feeling a little out of it. Then I lost my will to ship because of Pete and stopped visiting. Then we all moved over to the present format and I just got into it. I just kept posting and posting and reading and getting to know folks.. it does take a while and it depends on your persistence, but I would have NEVER EVER pm'd a mod or neg rep members of a well established group for being off topic. I would have felt it wouldn't have been up to me to determine was the topic was.

So perhaps a serious ship thread is a good idea, that would allow newbies to post, get to know each other and the "old timers" could also post, the newbie and old timers would get to know each other and thus the newbies could come over to the "flufflier" thread when they felt they could. That would give the oldies their old thread back and the newbies a chance to ease in. I wouldn't want to ghettoise anyone tho, I think we'd have to careful that didn't happen.

Anyway, I've already voted...

SG1Poz
October 27th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Hello there!

I've cooled down a bit now.

I voted, but I want to change my mind, so deduct one vote from the last option.

I think we should archive both threads, and start with the FAMILY thread.

That's what we are - a family!

Sure we fight (over cookies and penguins and potatos :D)
Sure we can get all antsy and annoy each other

But

WE LOVE EACH OTHER!!!!!!!

AND...

WE LOVE SAM AND JACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

anywho...

Astro - clear your mailbox so I can PM you!

Suz

De-lurking I also voted incorrectly. Blame it on lack of sleep and my confusion when I saw two Shipper threads. Please subtract from the last poll suggestion and add it to the first (combine both threads and begin a Shipper Family Thread ! I honestly misread the last suggestion :(

I'm sorry I haven't contributed much in the way of posting in the Shipper thread. Just shy ya know ;) . Being a shipper, I love the combination of the serious Sam and Jack togetherness and the outstanding wit/fluff at the old Shipper Thread. Like others, I just zip right by the chatty postings at times mainly due to time or lack of. No problem :) .
Mala, I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned in a post about people becoming bored during the haitus. I also hang at the Sam/Jack list (Hi Marimba, MichelleB :) which also goes through withdrawl symtoms during this period but it seems to calm down after a while. I agree that the original Shipper Thread seemed to be calming down and we didn't need to divide. Who was it that quoted "United We Stand, Divided We Fall?" That was a great but so true analogy. I too worry about J.M. abandoning us due to this division. I'm sure this is has drawn much unwanted attention :( Hey GateGypsy :), Chin up! I believe the majority here understand that you were trying to be helpful. That's what mods do :) Now, let me nudge you off that fence in our direction? You can't keep balancing without tiring at some point and falling to whatever side you were unconsciously leaning towards ;) By the way, who came up with rep points? I believed these were an accident waiting to happen (unlike Jack I love cliches:) .
Mala, please stick around! Your humour and wit have brought many a smile and bursts of laughter to me during the worst time in my life. I lost my dear husband in August (stroke, only a young 56!), two weeks later fell and had to have rotary cuff surgery which occured three weeks ago (still in a sling...difficult to type too!) plus un-employed with a mortgage to pay. Thank God for Stargate and the Shippers! I so need the break from reality which the show and you all afford me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Let's get back together shippers!

Sg1Poz

blueiris
October 27th, 2004, 10:31 AM
I'm playing my Libra card. I have been reading everyone's opinions and see that there are valid points for differing views. I personally would like one thread becaue its easier to keep up with. I'm already confused as to what I read where. But I wouldn't want to vote for one thread if it meant some shippers would feel the need to leave. But, its fun to read through and catch everything. But things do get lost. but but but

So, I'm not voting. I would be debating with myself forever. I can't even decide what to have for dinner on my own. I have to weigh all the options, over and over and over. So, I will just see what happens.

I love this shipper family.

auralan
October 27th, 2004, 10:35 AM
I'm just wondering:

<snip for space>

So if a new thread were created to complement the current thread, what would be the problem? Several people have indicated that a serious thread is what they would like, and I can see no reason, within the GW rules, to deny them that. Even if some of them are newbies.

<more snips>

Personally, I love the idea of two threads. My primary interest is serious discussion. The fluff is fun when I have a lot of free time, but I don't always have a lot of free time to read and respond to the fluff -- no matter how much I'd like to. It would be great if there were a serious thread I could read to keep up with the serious discussion for the days I just plain don't have the time to do the fluff thing. No insult to fluff, but there's a limited number of hours in the day and I personally prioritize serious discussion higher. Often I wind up never catching up with the combined style thread and not replying to serious discussion I'd love to participate in if I hadn't run out of time getting through the fluff to find it. Other days life is calm enough to allow time for both, but that's just not true consistently feor m. I'd love to be able to participate more regularly in a serious thread and catch up on the fluff whenever life allows.

Kliggins
October 27th, 2004, 10:47 AM
I just want to pop in and say thank you to Gate Gypsy, Shipperahoy and Madeleine!!!!! You guys are great!!!! :D

meimei
October 27th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Mei Mei is massively confused... It doesn't take much to minorly confuse Mei Mei (just as Tame!).

Mei Mei wants one thread! Family thread or Old thread doesn't matter.

I don't care for some of the off topic but some of it I like. But I am not wise enough (or sane enough) to be the arbitrator of what is correct OT and what is not, so, for the most part, I keep my mouth shut and skim past the stuff I don't like.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/shiawmeimei/moknosee.gif

Penguins, Dr. Shipper, vids, fics, Shipper Store, Shipper Town, rehab, cookies (especially the happy pill ones) are all a part of what made me want to be a part of the Shipper Family. Those are completely 100% on topic as far as I am concerned.

I have little time to devote to Gateword. I read mainly two threads (although I love branching out when I can) and I posted frequently in those two. (Or at least as frequently as I can.) I don't have time to add a third! If the so-called Cool Place To Be has a good discussion of ship going, it would be unfair to ask them to lose their momentum to move it to the Shipper Discussion Thread. And, at the same time, if a really cool piece of "fluff" (i.e. penguins, Dr. Shipper, etc) starts in the Discussion Thread, it would be equally unfair to have to move it!

I love GW! I wish I had more time to delve into all of the Threads, but RL is a bear that has claws and keeps yanking me back out of my loverly virtual world! So I have to limit it to the Shipper Thread (one of them) and the most exquiste RDA/Jack Thunk thread! (Mei Mei is working on her "Hussy First Class" award!!)

Please do one thread for S&J Shippers!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/shiawmeimei/bullbeg.gif
I voted for "Merge this thread into the S/J Shipper Discussion thread and never speak of this again " but the "Archive both threads, and start a new S/J Shipper Family Thread" would be just as acceptable!

I am also worried about the other Gateworlders! We used to get a lot of hostile comments over the S&J Shipper Thread having so many incarnations when we changed threads every 1000 posts (I think we were up to 15 or 16 when we started the never ending thread). I believe this would just cause more hostility if it is perceived as a frivolous duplication of an existing thread!

Now, see, Mei Mei can talk in the first person!! (Shush, don't tell anyone!!)
Gotta go now! That darn bear is grabbing at Mei Mei's posterior again!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/shiawmeimei/funbear.gif

kiwigater
October 27th, 2004, 10:55 AM
I just want to pop in and say thank you to Gate Gypsy, Shipperahoy and Madeleine!!!!! You guys are great!!!! :D
*cheers wildly* http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage08/11.gif Definitely! :D We have the best mods around :D http://pages.prodigy.net/hauxfan/Signs/Text_in_Bubble/9.gif

Token
October 27th, 2004, 10:56 AM
I'm just wondering:

These are my thoughts:

I have no problem with a "S/J Serious Ship Discussion Only" thread being created. It is a freedom at GateWorld that doesn't break any rules. However, if you don't label it a "serious only" discussion you will have the same fluff floating around, then we have two Threads that are the same. I consider the "S/J Ship Discussion Thread" to be a serious discussion and fluff thread. That's why I like it, but I understand if others have differing opinions.

I would like to ask though: "Don't we already have a "serious" Ship Discussion Thread?" It is the mods that decide if there are two or more threads that are discussing the same topic and decide to merge them. Am I wrong?

I think renaming the "S/J Ship Discussion Thread" to "S/J Shipper Family Thread" may help newbies understand the thread better. Then they can choose to join the family or not. I intend on staying with the "Family". I may wander off occasionally, but the Shipper Family is where I reside.;) :D

Kri
October 27th, 2004, 11:01 AM
I think renaming the "S/J Ship Discussion Thread" to "S/J Shipper Family Thread" may help newbies understand the thread better. Then they can choose to join the family or not. I intend on staying with the "Family". I may wander off occasionally, but the Shipper Family is where I reside.;) :D

THIS idea I like. I don't want to NOT be able to post fun stuff with the family. That is what attracted me to the board in the first place. I have nothing serious to say right now, but I might in January! :D So, for now, I'll stay at the Family home. I might venture over to a serious discussion board at a later date!

dipsofjazz
October 27th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Um...I posted this in the other thread, but I wasn't sure where to go...so...

Here's my shippy pic of the day...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/dipsofjazz/Sam%20and%20Jack/uJS1.jpg

http://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/heart.gif :D :D http://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/heart.gif

dipsofjazz
October 27th, 2004, 11:23 AM
I'm just going to say that I'm never going to bed again! I leave you kids for a minute, and you get silly and won't share your toys! :p
Silly, serious...I like it all. :p
In the words of...um...somebody...

"Why can't we all just get along?"

:D :p :D

yoojoo
October 27th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Just gotta say guys, I AM NEVER SERIOUS!! about anything.........ever!!! if the situation is in dire need of it then i might bring my serious side out. But as a whole i am always a wacko!!! even when i am talking about sam and jack what i say is always a little off the wall and crazy!! it might be OT and even right but it is NEVER serious......so if everyone can handle that from me then i think there is no need for a second thread! We should unite as one shipper family under Sam and jack and continue with our fun loving hillariousness while still talking about our favorite couple!!!! We are a family guys.........in a whacked out sorta way........... so lets just all cool down and have some fun!!!! :D and try to be aware of others feelings too! PLAY NICE!!

BTW.......... thank you to the mods for stepping in and trying to rectify the situation and for seeking out our opinion on it!! You guys are the best!! and whatever yall decide to do is (in the words of buck wheat) OH TAY WITH ME!!! :D

(((((((((((((((((((((((((EVERYONE))))))))))))))))))))

yoojoo
October 27th, 2004, 11:27 AM
I promise to try to stay OT though.......... Im a little ADHD so have patience with me!!! :P

Bagpuss
October 27th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Ditto. :)

(((((((((((Bev))))))))))) My friend,I so agree with that sentiment ! :)

I think once the poll's been completed ,and the dust settles,the Ship Family will be stronger than ever.

Let's face it : whatever our vote,or method of Posting,we all want the same thing : J/S resolution,fun,conversation,and togetherness. :D

A big hug to everyone !

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((Ship Family + All New Shippers))))))))))))))))))))))))))

An even bigger "VR Hug" and thanks to Gipsy,Madeleine,Skydiver,and Shipperahoy(Not forgetting MC,Feli and D +D,as they're fab too.)

What more can I say ? :) I have very long virtual "Arms" !! ;)

Zoser
October 27th, 2004, 02:24 PM
My 2 cents -
I want one thread, penguins and all.
I loved the graphics, the wacky jokes the intriguing supositions and the spoilers.
The #@%$ing arguing is making me nuts.
I don't post just to run up numbers but I enjoy the friendly banter.
I've never given a red rep. point - didn't know rep points existed until about three weeks ago. I'd rather be positive.
I really loved the Shipper Family - I'd like my family back.

marimba26
October 27th, 2004, 02:30 PM
I'm just going to say that I'm never going to bed again! I leave you kids for a minute, and you get silly and won't share your toys! :p

That somebody would be Hank Williams, Jr. And I'm with you, Why can't we all just get along?

the dancer of spaz
October 27th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Um... *gulp* What's going on?

Sorry if I sound exceptionally ignorant, but... did all of this happen within the past twelve hours?

We have three threads now? :o

SG1Poz
October 27th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Please forgive, I need to get this right:) I'm having trouble with my Sig and the posting box being..not there for me. Sorry but hope this works this time.

SG1Poz
October 27th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Please forgive, I need to get this right:) I'm having trouble with my Sig and the posting box being..not there for me. Sorry but hope this works this time.
Ok , Still no bottom to my box :( Help!

meimei
October 27th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Ok , Still no bottom to my box :( Help!
I was just getting ready to suggest a solution! LOL! But went back to check something and it was fixed!!

Congrats!!

It took me months to figure out pictures and sigs and stuff!!

SG1Poz
October 27th, 2004, 02:57 PM
I was just getting ready to suggest a solution! LOL! But went back to check something and it was fixed!!

Congrats!!

It took me months to figure out pictures and sigs and stuff!!
OH MY God! I don't know if I did anything but OI'm glad it worked:) Thanks anyway :)

Sg1Poz

sugarshaker
October 27th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Holy cow! Another thread (scratches head). . . I haven't followed the discusssion the last couple of days as I have to pop on and off at random, so I feel kind of lost. Don't think I will be able to catch up, though. Just wanted to say Hi to the shippers. :)

((((((((shippers))))))))

Major Fischer
October 27th, 2004, 04:34 PM
After being kind of shell shocked this morning I think it's probably time I post something intelligent on the subject.

1. I want to apologize to Gipsy, Shipperahoy, and Madeliene if you believe that I or anyone using my words has attacked you. I do not believe the mods have been doing anything but trying to be helpful. I know that you are all very frustrated. I have for five years now been the disciplinary sysop for a chat site with probably as many users as Gateworld and I have been called nasty names before and had motives attributed to me that had no basis in reality.

2. I also want to apologize to those of you who would like a serious place to discuss Sam and Jack and ship. I certainly do not begrudge you that, I participate in my share of serious discussions. I think we have dismissed these people perhaps too easily. Why can't they have a place to have serious discussions without penguins or in jokes or all the sillyness that many of the regulars here enjoy? Does it hurt this thread to let them have a discussion thread?

3. I think what made people mad most of all was the implication that the existing community should leave and go somewhere else while the percieved "humorless outsiders" got the original thread. Perhaps if the original thread is retired and let two threads one "family" and one "strictly on topic" exist? What is wrong with that?

Madeleine
October 27th, 2004, 04:56 PM
I think what made people mad most of all was the implication that the existing community should leave and go somewhere else while the percieved "humorless outsiders" got the original thread. Perhaps if the original thread is retired and let two threads one "family" and one "strictly on topic" exist? What is wrong with that?

Right! Mala said something which I couldn't quite follow (hard day at work, sorry) and having read this bit I think that must have been what she was getting at. Is that how other people feel? Would you (general) be happier with the inception of a new 'serious' thread if it meant that the current one remained 'family' turf?

Cos the votes are still in favour of a single thread, and yet no one has let me know how we can square the banning of a serious S/J thread with the GW rules.

meimei
October 27th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Right! Mala said something which I couldn't quite follow (hard day at work, sorry) and having read this bit I think that must have been what she was getting at. Is that how other people feel? Would you (general) be happier with the inception of a new 'serious' thread if it meant that the current one remained 'family' turf?

Cos the votes are still in favour of a single thread, and yet no one has let me know how we can square the banning of a serious S/J thread with the GW rules.
I think I am still in favor of only one thread. Again, going back and forth to see what the discussion is can be difficult. I usually keep a couple of windows open to read threads (one Shipper and one Thunk) and flip back and forth, but when I was on dialup, even this was time consuming to refresh. I think it would be even more difficult to keep up with two than with the fast moving one thread that we have.

I know at some point one of the mods said that there were complaints that were coming in to them that weren't being voiced on the threads. Is it possible to get a list of these issues and maybe we can just handle it internally? Everyone on Shipper thread has always been helpful and courteous (for the most part, yes, we are human and occasionally post in haste and irritation) and I am sure that we could work out the major issues that are coming in to the mods.

Madeleine
October 27th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Mei Mei, can you tell me how only having one S/J thread fits the rules?

Can anyone?

Cos I can, but it's not pretty: It fits the rules if and only if The One Thread sticks with The Topic. And the only justifiable topic for a *single* thread (if we were to say that the shippers are only allowed one thread) would be: "S/J. No frills."

It has been said in this thread that Shipper Town, Dr Pepper, Penguins et al *are* on-topic in the Shipper Thread. Are they?

If Yes, then I'm lost for a reason to deny those who want it a thread where the only topic is S/J. No one's saying that the S/P-ers have to have a thread where the topic is S/P, rosewater, Volvo Estates and grapes; no, they are allowed a thread where S/P is the only topic. So why should there not be the same right for those S/J shippers who want it?

If No, then the direction that that takes me in is to treat the S/J thread like any other and Moderate the Off Topicness. I don't want to though. Like I said, not pretty.

Do you see my predicament? Of course the mods want to please the majority, but if over 88% are asking for something that is against the rules... what then?

Sorry to be a rules-nut. But the GW rules are few and gentle for the most part, and they serve us pretty well. If we start riding roughshod over them they'll be harder to use when we really need them. The main reason they exist is to be Fair to everyone, and I think Fairness is a big issue here.

So, within the GW rules, can anyone tell me why there shouldn't be an additional serious thread to supplement the existing family thread?

I have to keep asking, cos I know what I want to do (I think you can probably guess) and I'm sure my version would be acceptable rules-wise (and I still can't see who would be harmed by it), but I can hardly just go ahead and do my rejigging of the threads to make the existing one a Family thread and create a new Serious thread (there' my secret's out) while at least nine out of every ten have clicked a different option from me.

Throw me a bone. Please. Give your blessing to a new supplementary thread, or tell me what I can use to justify not allowing it. Please. Because all this stuff about 'dividing' the shippers, well I can't see the harm in allowing those who want to divide to do so (they won't force anyone who doesn't want to to follow them to the new thread), but I can see a lot of harm in being divided in our thoughts on how to carry this forward.

I've asked it before, I got no answers, so I'll ask again.

1) Who will be harmed if ___ and ___ and ___ and co skip happily off to a new thread and discuss penguin-free ship? **

2) How can we allow only one thread for S/J without mangling the forum rules somewhat?

Thank you

**(and I'm sorry but I don't buy "I won't be able to keep up with two threads" as a reason. Did I try to prevent the creation of a Zero Hour thread on the grounds that I was having trouble keeping up with the Lockdown thread? No. People can post as much as they want and shouldn't be kept from doing so on any Stargate-related topic.)

Lunar
October 27th, 2004, 05:46 PM
So, within the GW rules, can anyone tell me why there shouldn't be an additional serious thread to supplement the existing family thread?

I don't think anyone can.
For me, it's like this:
I genuinely wasn't aware anyone had a serious issue with the occasional randominity of the old shipper thread. I thought the gentle reminders from mods/posters generally nudged it back on topic.
Obviously I was wrong, and obviously we can't 'have the old thread back' because it was actually illegal under Gateworld rules.
I'm sorry to hear that, because I *liked* it. But I guess all good things must come to an end. Especially as not everyone was finding it 'good.'
I don't think we've yet solved the problem by having two threads because OTness is still occurring in both. I feel at the moment we've just spread it around. But it has been made clear to me by the adopted ship mum (((Madeline))) what the true purpose of this extra thread was about, and so I will *try* to post in it as the moderators intended and I guess everyone else will do the same after a bit more nudging.
The only sad thing about it is that I think I'll be doing a lot less posting because I can't be bothered to flip from thread to thread, catch up with what's going on in t'other one and then make a pertinent post. Or feel that I can make a silly comment on the 'serious' thread based on previous discussion.
Hmm. Maybe that's not such a bad thing!! :rolleyes:

TameFarrar
October 27th, 2004, 05:46 PM

Well I said I was staying out of the argument this time because I had already gotten burned pretty bad the last time the Shipper Thread had an upheavel and I thought If I kept out of it I would be ok....BUT as Madeline pointed out I did NOT really stay out of it and I did voice some opinion and for that MADELINE, SHIPPERAHOY and GATEGIPSY you have my apology

So here are my thoughts.(stealing the number thing from MF)
1. As an *Old-Timer* I have seen this Shipper Thread go through many ups and downs in regards to OT, Spoiler/speculation and *Did we get all the Newbies Welcomed* It was a CONSCIENCE decision made by MANY to welcome people and TRY to catch all of the newbies and let them know we were a FRIENDLY OPEN BUNCH.

2.YES the OT has gotten a bit out of hand....BUT as has been stated MANY TIMES during the running of new episodes the thread did and does stay more or less ON TOPIC and serious dicussion ensues. However, I do agree that at times it is a bit over the top and I too excercise my scroll button.

3.I like serious discussion IF it goes somewhere. So GATEGIPSY may have stumbled onto the solution without relizing it. And MADELINE has offered a good solution. I PERSONALLY get tired or re-hashing the same stuff over and over and over and over. I can only talk about The Broca Divide Kiss 20 times then I am done ....I have nothing new to offer (I am purposely staying out of spoiler areas here) So maybe having a SERIOUS ONLY Discussion Thread is the answer for SOME and a FAMILY THREAD for others that encompasses all aspects. I do not mind scrlling past penguins, cookies and what not because it HAS BECOME PART OF THE S&J SHIPPER GW CULTURE and it is something that BINDS PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD TOGETHER. I like being part of that and I like adding my discussion in the same posts. I like being able to banter with the people I have come to know as *Family*

4. Yes it will divide people there is no stopping that BUT you have a choice to play in both just as every person here does. It just depends on what you want to do. If you want discussion and discussion ONLY no banter, no diviation, Then you have a place for that. If you want to Discuss Ship, Meet the people you talk with, and have fun then you have a have a place for that. Both will have S&J DISCUSSION one will just be more serious.

I realize that alot of people do not feel that the Cookies, the T-shirts, Shipper Town, Penguins and a few other things are On Topic but I beg to differ...These things were created COMPLETELY OUT OF DEDICATION TO SAM & JACK SHIPPING AND A DESIRE TO BUILD A ONLINE COMMUNITY for SHIPPERS IN GATEWORLD. A place for discussion and friendship. So They are completely intertwined and while some DEFINITELY overdo it sometimes we do rein our own in and get back to the discussion when we have something to discuss.

The WORST PART OF ALL OF THIS ..... People's feelings have been hurt...REAL PEOPLE have been emotionally hurt by the words written here OVER A TV SHOW......THAT has been the hardest thing for me to deal with reading all of this. We rally around around each other in times of crisis, when the Real World slams any of us and we post a quick note this community has ALWAYS rallied around that person. Now all of sudden we are writing posts to each other that are hurtful and mean over a penguin or a cookie. Because the *general you* had to scroll past a post so you could read about a TV SHOW.

To ALL OF THE MODERATORS - I THANK YOU for trying to find a happy resolution to this ...for being lenient and allowing this community to form and be a living breathing thing on GateWorld.

I voted for one thread under Family but now I see that may never work...So I will support GateGipsy and Madeline's resolution 100%
First because I would like this to end :)
Second because I want to enjoy my family again :D

Thank you for your time reading this

Shipperahoy
October 27th, 2004, 06:28 PM
After a day spend reading people's reactions to the two threads I've gone from baffled to amazed to perturbed to frustrated and finally to miffed. I keep reading about how we're trying to divide the shipper family and see banners in people's sigs to that point. I read about segregation and see terms like ghettoization and talk about it ruining the shipper thread and about how that's not what the shipper thread was intended for. Well, as the person who actually created the Shipper thread (yep folks, the very first S/J shipper thread post was moi) I know what I intended it for. I intended it to be a place where all S/J Shippers (newbies and regulars alike) could come and discuss S/J ship without having to defend their position.

After we moved from Delphi to here a group of people kind of took up the Shipper thread and off it went and turned into a land of Dr. Shipper, Shipper Town, cookies, et al. Now, I am not saying that I am against those things or that I don't enjoy them but you have to look at it from a newbies point of view. They come into a thread and don't understand half of what is going on and their posts are drowned out by talk of cookies and penguins. As mods it's our job to try to make ALL members happy if we possibly can and when numerous new members are coming to us and saying that they can't navigate the thread and that they don't understand the posts it's up to us to try to find a way to fix it in a way that is benificial to all parties. Gipsy put thought into her decision and thought that it would be something that would make everybody happy. The Dr. Shipper etc. could be continued but there would also be a thread where newbies could come without a translation book and partake in S/J discussion. What in the bejeezus is so fricking wrong with that?

As I said I know what I intended when I started this thread and the bickering and griping and pointing of fingers and overall negativity that has become these threads isn't it. I find myself very disapointed.

Token
October 27th, 2004, 06:38 PM
<snip>
Do you see my predicament? Of course the mods want to please the majority, but if over 88% are asking for something that is against the rules... what then?

Sorry to be a rules-nut. But the GW rules are few and gentle for the most part, and they serve us pretty well. If we start riding roughshod over them they'll be harder to use when we really need them. The main reason they exist is to be Fair to everyone, and I think Fairness is a big issue here.

I have to keep asking, cos I know what I want to do (I think you can probably guess) and I'm sure my version would be acceptable rules-wise (and I still can't see who would be harmed by it), but I can hardly just go ahead and do my rejigging of the threads to make the existing one a Family thread and create a new Serious thread (there' my secret's out) while at least nine out of every ten have clicked a different option from me.

Throw me a bone. Please. Give your blessing to a new supplementary thread, or tell me what I can use to justify not allowing it. Please. Because all this stuff about 'dividing' the shippers, well I can't see the harm in allowing those who want to divide to do so (they won't force anyone who doesn't want to to follow them to the new thread), but I can see a lot of harm in being divided in our thoughts on how to carry this forward. .I have no problem with the mods creating a "S/J Ship Family Discussion Thread" and a "S/J Ship Discussion Only Thread". Then I can choose in which I wish to post. However, I hope that we will not hear any complaints from other forum members about the S/J Shippers having multiple threads like we did before.

I've asked it before, I got no answers, so I'll ask again.

1) Who will be harmed if ___ and ___ and ___ and co skip happily off to a new thread and discuss penguin-free ship? **
No one.

2) How can we allow only one thread for S/J without mangling the forum rules somewhat?
I thought that was somewhat implied by the mods because the mods didn't want duplicate threads. Am I wrong? IMO, the only way the "S/J Ship Discussion Only Thread" would not be a duplicate of the "S/J Ship Family Discussion Thread" would be if the "S/J Ship Discussion Only Thread" is moderated to prevent any cookies, penquins and other whatnot from appearing. And that is fine with me if that is what the posters of the "S/J Ship Discussion Only Thread" want.

Does that answer your question?

Major Fischer
October 27th, 2004, 06:52 PM
I'm certainly throwing my (hefty and considerable) weight behind two threads.

I really do think that both existing threads would need to be archieved so that no one has to feel like they "got" the original thread.

Title suggestions.

The Sam/Jack Ship Discussion Thread
The Sam/Jack Shipper Community Thread

To make this work you'd need to deal with the fact that there are some outside the shipper community who will be angry that the shippers have 2 threads, and have to get the shipper community to police itself on the Discussion thread. It's not fair to ask the mods to strictly enforce something when the community is perfectly capable of going "I'm sorry SamCarterO'NeillJrIII, but penguins aren't really relevent to the TBFTGOG kiss."

The other thing that I want to make a suggestion for.... I think it's time to do away with the Red Badge of Courage, and the United we Stand Divided we Fall sigs. Not only we are looking at things that are antagonizing now, and seperate the vets from the newbies, but they seem a bit smug to outsiders.

And smug should not be what the shippers are about.

majorsal
October 27th, 2004, 07:34 PM
THIS idea I like. I don't want to NOT be able to post fun stuff with the family. That is what attracted me to the board in the first place. I have nothing serious to say right now, but I might in January! :D So, for now, I'll stay at the Family home. I might venture over to a serious discussion board at a later date!

I like the idea of two threads myself. I'm mostly into serious talk, but it would be nice to have a place to go 'if' I wanted to talk fluff. And that might happen, as soon as I'm done playing on two forums, reading from my 10 yahoo lists, catching up on my piled up fics from my yahoo lists, and finishing the fic I've been working on for 3 years. And that's why I spend most of my time talking serious (because I've run out of time for fluff). I would love nothing more than to return to what the S/J thread used to be, but I think we've grown too large to handle the combined serious/OT anymore. :( (just my opinion)

Sally :)

meimei
October 27th, 2004, 07:38 PM
I didn't mean to irritate or aggrevate anyone. I was merely stating that I would prefer one thread. I will, of course, deal with whatever is the final decision.

I was just wondering if there was a happy medium that would allow us to stay with one thread, if there was a way to deal with the more pertinent issues that had been brought to the mods. If that's not possible then maybe two threads will have to be the answer. Since more people are coming out in favor of two threads and if that is what is decided then that will be fine.

1) Who will be harmed if ___ and ___ and ___ and co skip happily off to a new thread and discuss penguin-free ship?
No one.

I don't know that the rules have been that mangled. When I have time to browse other threads (granted it's not often) I see OT posts, granted not as much as on the Shipper thread, but they quickly run back to topic. That's what I meant about fixing it internally.

That's about all I have to say now. I have to finish a Halloween costume for my niece.... I really hate sewing....

TameFarrar
October 27th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Since this thread is Titled Family for the moment :D......I am going to run willy nilly around it eating a cookie....holding hands with a penguin...wearing a T-shirt and post my fave pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/TameFarrar/just%20for%20fun/Thewomaninhismind.jpg

JSDT
October 27th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Since this thread is Titled Family for the moment :D......I am going to run willy nilly around it eating a cookie....holding hands with a penguin...wearing a T-shirt and post my fave pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/TameFarrar/just%20for%20fun/Thewomaninhismind.jpg[/IMG]

Well, I am wearing my shipper t-shirt AND I'm eating a cookie AND I'm also admiring this awesome picture of Jack. Oh yeah, Sam too. :D Now, where did that darn penguin get off to? :p

kiwigater
October 27th, 2004, 08:41 PM
I'd be happy to lend you one of my roomate's Boston terrier dogs in lieu of a penguin (hey, they look kinda similar...... if you squint real hard :p ) :D
(just try to keep the singed fur to a minimum, it might perturb the rommie ;)

TameFarrar
October 27th, 2004, 08:49 PM
well you KNOW Jack LOVES dogs...better then some people so...I think The Terrier will work in a pinch :D :D

TameFarrar
October 27th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Well, I am wearing my shipper t-shirt AND I'm eating a cookie AND I'm also admiring this awesome picture of Jack. Oh yeah, Sam too. :D Now, where did that darn penguin get off to? :p
well Tasha while you were admiring Jack and Sam ...I think he made off with the rest of the cookies :D :D

JSDT
October 27th, 2004, 08:55 PM
I'd be happy to lend you one of my roomate's Boston terrier dogs in lieu of a penguin (hey, they look kinda similar...... if you squint real hard :p ) :D
(just try to keep the singed fur to a minimum, it might perturb the rommie ;)

Why, thank you, KG! Hmmmm....Do you think she'd notice the black and white paint? :S

JSDT
October 27th, 2004, 08:57 PM
well Tasha while you were admiring Jack and Sam ...I think he made off with the rest of the cookies :D :D

Figures...blasted, sneaky penguin. :D By the way, Tame, did you happen to notice the dedication on my latest vid? :rolleyes:

TameFarrar
October 27th, 2004, 09:05 PM
no I will go re-watch it...it is saved on my computer :D :D I gave you your own folder :D

TameFarrar
October 27th, 2004, 09:09 PM
TASHA!!!!!!!!!! You let me part of the GODDESSES!!!!! Thank you that was so sweet...I am so honored !!!!! (((((((((((Tasha))))))))))) :D :D

and I loved the video too you did see my post telling you that I hope !! :D

JSDT
October 27th, 2004, 09:09 PM
no I will go re-watch it...it is saved on my computer :D :D I gave you your own folder :D

How cool! I have my own folder! I've made it! I've finally made it! (Okay, a wee bit overdramatized there, but oh well.) :D

JSDT
October 27th, 2004, 09:12 PM
TASHA!!!!!!!!!! You let me part of the GODDESSES!!!!! Thank you that was so sweet...I am so honored !!!!! (((((((((((Tasha))))))))))) :D :D

and I loved the video too you did see my post telling you that I hope !! :D

LOL! Yes, I did see that and thank you very much. I really appreciate everyone who has watched my videos and let me know what they thought. (((((((((((Tame)))))))))))) :)

TameFarrar
October 27th, 2004, 09:16 PM
I really enjoyed that vid tasha...it was cool seeing all of teh *Bad* girls in action with our fellas :D:D

Now you need to do another Ship one...too :D

kiwigater
October 27th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Why, thank you, KG! Hmmmm....Do you think she'd notice the black and white paint? :S
Paint?? um, sure, they already ARE black and white..... http://www.bostonterrier.org/assets/images/db_images/db_oscar22.jpg

(this isn't roomates dog, the pics I have of them seem to have gone walkies :p ).
They're not really dogs, they're kittie cats that don't purr (or in Gertie the "baby's" case, a person, and a bossy one at that!).
*cough* er, right, I'm still allowed to be fluffy in here right?
um, so, how about I set both the dogs to nibble (gently of course) on TPTB's ankles ;)

TameFarrar
October 27th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Paint?? um, sure, they already ARE black and white..... http://www.bostonterrier.org/assets/images/db_images/db_oscar22.jpg

(this isn't roomates dog, the pics I have of them seem to have gone walkies :p ).
They're not really dogs, they're kittie cats that don't purr (or in Gertie the "baby's" case, a person, and a bossy one at that!).
*cough* er, right, I'm still allowed to be fluffy in here right?
um, so, how about I set both the dogs to nibble (gently of course) on TPTB's ankles ;)
Oh he is so cute!!!!! Sam & Jack would have a dog like this and I can see them MAKING sure he guards the doors :D

yoojoo
October 27th, 2004, 10:45 PM
HEY MODS!!!! just wanted to say that we love you guys and are sorry that this stupid thing is causing you so much trouble. I would like to stay one thread but whatever yall decide is OH TAY with me. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!! keep up the good work!! :D

and TAME, loved your post in here and agreed with every bit of it! :)

the dancer of spaz
October 27th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Um... *gulp* What's going on?

Sorry if I sound exceptionally ignorant, but... did all of this happen within the past twelve hours?

We have three threads now? :o

Uh, guys?... This was not rhetorical... What's going on? :o

tpe78
October 27th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Uh, guys?... This was not rhetorical... What's going on? :o
I just PM'd you

SEREN LWCH (MAL)
October 28th, 2004, 01:21 AM
oh whew! does this mean you're going to bake us some shipper cookies? **bats eyelashes pleadingly**
How about bakewell tarts instead?... heard somewere you like them :p

the dancer of spaz
October 28th, 2004, 01:27 AM
I just PM'd you

Heh heh... So you did. ;) Thanks for that.

tpe78
October 28th, 2004, 01:29 AM
How about bakewell tarts instead?... heard somewere you like them :p

Feel free to bake away. Just keep me out of the kitchen (If I'm in there you'll need to keep the fire extinguisher handy. :P ).

The Bakewell tarts sound good thought...

To pick myself up mood wise I was rewatching new order part 2Those last few scenes on thor's planet when they found Sam were so shippy.. Notice where he place his hands. THUNK... Sorrry that particular thought is for another thread.:D It just screamed s/j ship

the dancer of spaz
October 28th, 2004, 01:36 AM
Feel free to bake away. Just keep me out of the kitchen (If I'm in there you'll need to keep the fire extinguisher handy. :P ).

The Bakewell tarts sound good thought...

To pick myself up mood wise I was rewatching new order part 2Those last few scenes on thor's planet when they found Sam were so shippy.. Notice where he place his hands. THUNK... Sorrry that particular thought is for another thread.:D It just screamed s/j ship

I love your shippy signature. And I love your shippy comment. :D
(I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm confused as to what's allowed here...)

Oh yeah... I also like your reason for editing your post, tpe... Good stuff. ;)

tpe78
October 28th, 2004, 01:59 AM
I love your shippy signature. And I love your shippy comment. :D
(I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm confused as to what's allowed here...)

Oh yeah... I also like your reason for editing your post, tpe... Good stuff. ;)

That was the 1st attempt at a sig pic.. I have to attempt I'm pretty proud of it. It took me a while to get the right size though.. :D

(Spelling was never my strong point. :P)

From what I'm gathering it's everything so that's what I'm posting until i'm told differently.

shelsfc
October 28th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Just a fly-by post - I got my shipper T-shirt and shipper cookie bag today!! :D :D Yay!!
(Pleeease tell me this is the right thread to be posting this in!! :S )

Since the poll is here, I'll post this here - I voted for archive both & start a new ship family thread, but if it solves the problem, I'd be quite happy with one Family thread for cookies & penguins and the rest, and then another thread for serious S/J discussion.

I'm going to take the keep the family together line out of my sig. It wasn't meant as an offence to the mods, you guys are great! It was just because some people were saying they felt like the family was being split and that they should be in one thread or the other and I'd hate to see that happening.

GateGipsy
October 28th, 2004, 02:50 AM
no offense taken at all!

astronomicalchick
October 28th, 2004, 03:50 AM
no offense taken at all!

Can I change my vote Gipsy? Or can you change it to : Serious thread and family thread please?

No worries if you can't... :)

Catysg1
October 28th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Can I change my vote Gipsy? Or can you change it to : Serious thread and family thread please?

You know ..I'm not sure that will work because we'll still go OT in the Sam and Jack shipper thread from time to time ...by accident ..and then One post leads to another one ..but I think it's part of being a shipper family ....We can just skip the posts but at least we'll be together....We just have to be aware that as soon as we get too much OT somebody is there to post a serious thing and all is well ....I also think it's because the series has stopped in the US and there is not much to talk about right now until Gemini ...So soon ..things will start again . 10 weeks and that's it ...in the meantime perhaps .....we can listen to all UK fans who are watching the season 8 1st part and see what they have to say , participate and find more ship ...I did in zero hour ...lots of ship. ;) .

Hope that if the 2 threads win ..it will work but I doubt it .

Caty ;)

GateGipsy
October 28th, 2004, 04:20 AM

I can do this but what was your first vote for?

GateGipsy
October 28th, 2004, 04:26 AM
You know ..I'm not sure that will work because we'll still go OT in the Sam and Jack shipper thread from time to time ...by accident ..and then One post leads to another one ..but I think it's part of being a shipper family ....We can just skip the posts but at least we'll be together....We just have to be aware that as soon as we get too much OT somebody is there to post a serious thing and all is well ....I also think it's because the series has stopped in the US and there is not much to talk about right now until Gemini ...So soon ..things will start again . 10 weeks and that's it ...in the meantime perhaps .....we can listen to all UK fans who are watching the season 8 1st part and see what they have to say , participate and find more ship ...I did in zero hour ...lots of ship. ;) .

Caty ;)
But what if people don't want to belong to the Ship family, but still want to talk about ship, or rather, just soley want to talk about ship and not anything not related to it? At the moment they have no choice but to stay in the one single thread we have for ship. But wouldn't it be better if they were allowed to have a thread they could post in, and not feel like they were being forced to be a part of something they didnt want to participate in?

The Ship Family thread would then be there for everyone to have their ship family fun in - fluffy posts, OT posts, and serious ship dicussion posts. The family wouldn't be divided, and those that want to just stay in one thread for all their ship fixes could do so.

And then an On Topic Ship Thread could be there for those who don't want to be a part of the Ship Family, and just want to talk ship. And it would also be there for those who like to be a part of the Ship family, but also want to have an alternative thread for talking about Ship in. It would also be a great place for newbies to start, and migrate over to the Ship Family thread later too, if they're not confidant about jumping in to the group straight away.

Maybe it's not perfect, but as far as I can see this is the only option that allows for people to choose for themselves and not feel like they're being forced into anything.

Melyanna
October 28th, 2004, 04:32 AM
*sigh*

This is why I dislike polls. We've gotten a lot of discussion about the subject, and I know I've changed my mind because of it — and I'm wondering if there are others who didn't refrain from voting earlier like I did and are now wishing they had.

Having said that, I agree with Major Fischer's assessment. If we're going to have two threads, then we need to have the Shipper Thread and the Shipper Discussion Thread. And both need to be new posts, with all the rest archived, so no one can claim that their thread was the "original". There's already a lot of bad blood here — certainly don't want to propegate it.

Personally, I'd rather not split the thread, but if it's for the good of the community, I'll try to keep up with two. I suspect that we'll be getting significantly fewer posts in two threads total than we have in one thread, but that's just from past experience in splits like this at other sites.

GateGipsy
October 28th, 2004, 04:36 AM
I can change votes if you tell me what you want to change your vote from and to.

meimei
October 28th, 2004, 04:52 AM
I can change votes if you tell me what you want to change your vote from and to.
*whimper*

And you keep changing the name of the thread.... Mei Mei is so confused...

GateGipsy
October 28th, 2004, 05:05 AM
sorry Mei Mei!

astronomicalchick
October 28th, 2004, 05:26 AM

the first option? merge the two and have a Shipper Family thread,

change to have a serious Ship Discussion thread and a Shipper Family thread...

Ta very much!

GateGipsy
October 28th, 2004, 05:34 AM
done and dusted AstroChick.

Critter
October 28th, 2004, 05:49 AM
HEY MODS!!!! just wanted to say that we love you guys and are sorry that this stupid thing is causing you so much trouble. I would like to stay one thread but whatever yall decide is OH TAY with me. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!! keep up the good work!! :D

and TAME, loved your post in here and agreed with every bit of it! :)
I love the way you said this yoojoo. You sound so perky and upbeat. My last two cents on the matter (for now anyway)...

I will be happy no matter what you do. I mean that seriously. I love this bunch of people who have become a very important part of my day. My zone out time. My fun time. My "me" time. I have enough worries in my day and I know that when I come here I can have some fun and lots of smiles. But no worries. I just want to see Sam and Jack together and have some fun with others that feel the same way. ;)

tpe78
October 28th, 2004, 06:15 AM
I love the way you said this yoojoo. You sound so perky and upbeat. My last two cents on the matter (for now anyway)...

I will be happy no matter what you do. I mean that seriously. I love this bunch of people who have become a very important part of my day. My zone out time. My fun time. My "me" time. I have enough worries in my day and I know that when I come here I can have some fun and lots of smiles. But no worries. I just want to see Sam and Jack together and have some fun with others that feel the same way. ;)

Hi Critter

*waves*

I know what you mean about your time in the shipper thread being your own. As a parent and uni student and work I don't get much free time but when I do, the time is mine and everyone knows. Do Not Disturb (That's only aimed at the other adults in the house. :D)

I am really think the 2nd half of season 8 is going to be ship heavy. Well hoping anyway..

P.S. If anyone is using Mozilla Firefox as a web browser. I found a really good spell checker that works with the posts. (Everyone knows I can't spell to save my life. :o ) Let me know if anyone wants the link..

Watters87
October 28th, 2004, 06:18 AM
P.S. If anyone is using Mozilla Firefox as a web browser. I found a really good spell checker that works with the posts. (Everyone knows I can't spell to save my life. :o ) Let me know if anyone wants the link..

Tpe78 can I have the link please :)

tpe78
October 28th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Tpe78 can I have the link please :)

Sure here you go... Very easy install and I've been running with it for a few hours no trouble at all. (Except realising just how bad my spelling is.)

http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/

Watters87
October 28th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Sure here you go... Very easy install and I've been running with it for a few hours no trouble at all. (Except realising just how bad my spelling is.)

http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/

Thank you :)

Catysg1
October 28th, 2004, 07:17 AM
But what if people don't want to belong to the Ship family, but still want to talk about ship, or rather, just soley want to talk about ship and not anything not related to it? At the moment they have no choice but to stay in the one single thread we have for ship. But wouldn't it be better if they were allowed to have a thread they could post in, and not feel like they were being forced to be a part of something they didnt want to participate in?

The Ship Family thread would then be there for everyone to have their ship family fun in - fluffy posts, OT posts, and serious ship dicussion posts. The family wouldn't be divided, and those that want to just stay in one thread for all their ship fixes could do so.

And then an On Topic Ship Thread could be there for those who don't want to be a part of the Ship Family, and just want to talk ship. And it would also be there for those who like to be a part of the Ship family, but also want to have an alternative thread for talking about Ship in. It would also be a great place for newbies to start, and migrate over to the Ship Family thread later too, if they're not confidant about jumping in to the group straight away.

Maybe it's not perfect, but as far as I can see this is the only option that allows for people to choose for themselves and not feel like they're being forced into anything.

the problem is ..We gonna have lots of duplicate posts ..and when Gemini airs and I do all those pics for the Sam and Jack shippers ..I'm not only doing them for the family but for newbies too ..and I won't have the time to duplicate all my stuff all the time to please everybody....I'll have to post in the shipper Sam and Jack discussion thread and hopefully hope that the others won't miss it..and again for the other episodes because here in the UK we gonna ahead of the US until the end ...like 2 episodes ahead ..so obviously ..I'll stick to one thread for that ..the serious one .

but I don't mind ..I just thought one thread was better ...may be we should start a thread for the shipper Sam and Jack newbies ..so they can post there first to get to know each other ..We'll pop in too to post and chat with them and invite them to the family thread if they want to be around ...They may feel more at ease then...just a suggestion . ;)

May be I would have loved that when I first started . ;) If you feel shy ..it could be a good idea to slowly climb up the hill and move to the other thread when you feel more secure ...and then they may understand the shipper town, the cookies ..and the penguins and join in if they feel like it. ;)

Caty ;)

Catysg1
October 28th, 2004, 07:24 AM
.I'm a bit lost there !!!!is it for the newbies that we are opening a new thread because they didn't like the shipper town, the potatoe head , the cookies and the penguins ???!!!!or it is for us ???

if it's for the newbies ..I understand ..but if it's for us ..I don't ..I thought we were all members of the shipper family ...and I thougth we got on very well ..

I think the trouble started when a newbie posted that big message about OT referring to shipper town , penguins , cookies and all that ...and started to red 'grey bad points all the shippers of the shipper town!!!!!

If it's the case as I mebntionned above then open a thread for them ..and they can join the shipper family if they like ...we can still post there to get to know them and chat ..and we'll invite them but it could be a safe thread for them when they first join...and we won't talk OT in the newbie thread .

Caty ;)

GateGipsy
October 28th, 2004, 08:01 AM
No, I think that what seems to be popular is to have a Ship Family Thread - that is continue the same S/J Discussion thread y'all have now but start afresh and give it a new name.

If there is a second thread, and that's a big if at this stage, then it could be a No Off Topic Sam and Jack ship thread, for those that like posting in more than one thread/don't want to talk about penguins and cookies/or just want someplace a bit less daunting to start off their posting career in.

At the end of the day, it can be whatever y'all want to make it. But the one thing that no-one is suggesting is moving the ship family from one thread to another.

Major Fischer
October 28th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I to admit that if I voted today it would be different than what I voted for yesterday

GateGipsy
October 28th, 2004, 08:04 AM
If you want to change your vote, PM me and I'll do it for you.

astronomicalchick
October 28th, 2004, 08:34 AM

Caty ;)

Yes Caty, the Shipper Family thread will be talking about ship and fluff, but the Ship Discussion Thread will only talk about ship. Therefore, that should satisfy those who wish serious Ship Discussion.

Well that's what I understand... if I'm wrong someone correct me please!

astronomicalchick
October 28th, 2004, 08:37 AM
done and dusted AstroChick.

Ta Gipsy... maybe one of these days I'll make it into the Daniel threads (I do appreciate him too!! :D very much... he's cute... :D v. cute :D :D )

GateGipsy
October 28th, 2004, 09:08 AM
LOL yes he is very cute isn't he? And incredibly intelligent. Well travelled. Morally and ethically centered. Sensitive, but capable of using a screw driver. Curious. Keen to find out about other people/cultures. In short he's the perfect man (fictional!).

ShimmeringStar
October 28th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Popping out of lurkmode to ask a few questions after reading all of the interesting posts of the past 2 days….

1) Would there be plans for the Shipper Family Folder or whatever it might eventually be called be moved to the off topic folder out of the General Discussion folders, since it appears to be referred to as an offtopic thread?

2) Just to make sure I’m hearing it correctly, you are saying that serious ship discussion will be allowed on the “Family/Fluffy” Thread without fear of being modded or harassment by fellow posters for bringing ship discussion to that thread?

3) And vice versa…. will posters be modded for making a mistake in by having a light-hearted tone or going one post off-topic in the “Serious Dicussion” Thread?

4) Where would it be appropriate these days then to share pix and screen caps of S/J without offending anyone? Or vids. Or shippy FF links?

My own thoughts - and I emphasize my own thoughts :) - which likely aren’t worth a hill of beans to anyone…. are that the one thread was fine. I’m not an oldtimer. I’m not really new either. I lurked Delphi at the end & the new Forum from the beginning. Without a mod stepping in the Thread regularly to make announcements that “this is what this thread is really about & nothing else” I assumed what I saw back in March to May before I joined was what the Forum was allowing, and therefore, promoting.

And I liked what I saw happening on the Shipper Thread… a big happy family having a variety of interwoven conversations, sometimes major ship discussions… sometimes not. If the chatter or the current ship discussion of the day weren’t my cup of tea I read/scrolled past, knowing full well the convo would cycle back to a past subject, or forward to something new. It was an interesting experience to join in the fray in May just as it would be in any family. And heck… even w/800+ posts I know 90%+ of my own posts aren’t responded to, even the most serious of my posts, but you know what? I accept it as part of Forum life in a big family & I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :) Had I wanted small, I would have gone elsewhere.

My hope is that Darren & the mods make a decision soon and are very clear about what will be expected and allowed on each thread if that’s what happens. That way I can make a decision about whether I want to stay here for a few more months until the show ends or leave on-line fandom now. And lest I be misinterpreted again... no, that’s not meant as a threat or a statement out to seek agreement/disagreement…. I’m only trying to say that for me personally, I don’t have a lot of RL time to play & just need to make a choice of whether or not ‘the new way’ is going to bring me enjoyment, relaxation or smiles anymore. And to determine that I need to be an informed consumer, so if you can answer my Q’s above… I’d be very appreciative.

(((mods)))
((((Darren))))
((((S/J Shippers))))

GateGipsy
October 28th, 2004, 09:25 AM
1) Would there be plans for the Shipper Family Folder or whatever it might eventually be called be moved to the off topic folder out of the General Discussion folders, since it appears to be referred to as an offtopic thread?
no, because the Shipper Family thread is not considered off topic.

2) Just to make sure I’m hearing it correctly, you are saying that serious ship discussion will be allowed on the “Family/Fluffy” Thread without fear of being modded or harassment by fellow posters for bringing ship discussion to that thread?
If there is a Ship Family thread, then any Ship Family discussions can take place there. As I understand it, you guys like to talk fluffy stuff, off topic stuff, and serious ship discussion.

3) And vice versa…. will posters be modded for making a mistake in by having a light-hearted tone or going one post off-topic in the “Serious Dicussion” Thread?
I think the consensus is that the second thread will actually be called the No Off Topic S/J Ship thread, so that there is no confusion. So, yes, you would get modded immediately (or as soon as a mod could be there) if you went off topic.

4) Where would it be appropriate these days then to share pix and screen caps of S/J without offending anyone? Or vids. Or shippy FF links?
Well there is no other thread yet, so keep on posting them as you have been. If, and it isn't decided, there are two ship threads, you can post them in whichever one you like. I suspect that most of the people in the No Off Topic thread will also be in the Ship Family thread and vice versa. I know that I play in all the Daniel threads, and frankly you can never have enough Daniel discussion in my opinion :)

And I liked what I saw happening on the Shipper Thread… a big happy family having a variety of interwoven conversations, sometimes major ship discussions… sometimes not. If the chatter or the current ship discussion of the day weren’t my cup of tea I read/scrolled past, knowing full well the convo would cycle back to a past subject, or forward to something new. It was an interesting experience to join in the fray in May just as it would be in any family. And heck… even w/800+ posts I know 90%+ of my own posts aren’t responded to, even the most serious of my posts, but you know what? I accept it as part of Forum life in a big family & I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :) Had I wanted small, I would have gone elsewhere.
I don't think that a Ship Family Thread will ever be anything other than big! But there are people would would like two threads to talk in, or the choice of talking in a smaller thread that doesn't go off topic. It is only fair to them that they be allowed their freedom don't you think? And better for the Ship Family too, as you don't really want people to feel there is only one place to go to talk ship and if they're not happy in that place, then they have to leave GateWorld.

astronomicalchick
October 28th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Popping out of lurkmode to ask a few questions after reading all of the interesting posts of the past 2 days….

My understanding (and it's only my understanding and therefore not what is going to happen ) is that the Ship Family thread won't be off-topic because we'll be discussing ship and fluff. There would be another thread for serious Ship Discussion only, and yes I think you (the general you not you personally) would be modded for being too light hearted...

astronomicalchick
October 28th, 2004, 09:30 AM
LOL yes he is very cute isn't he? And incredibly intelligent. Well travelled. Morally and ethically centered. Sensitive, but capable of using a screw driver. Curious. Keen to find out about other people/cultures. In short he's the perfect man (fictional!).

Do you have cookies there? :)

Oh gawds.. off topic...

On topic, thanks for the reply to SS's post, it was exactly what I had thought.

GateGipsy
October 28th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Do you have cookies there? :)

Oh gawds.. off topic...

On topic, thanks for the reply to SS's post, it was exactly what I had thought.
oh we have something way way way better than cookies...we have chocolate archeaologists :D . And if you come in to the thunk thread, we might even let you use our cloning machine and quantum mirror (with cascade entrophy thingie compensators) so you can get youself a Daniel for every day of the year...

kiwigater
October 28th, 2004, 10:14 AM
oh we have something way way way better than cookies...we have chocolate archeaologists :D . And if you come in to the thunk thread, we might even let you use our cloning machine and quantum mirror (with cascade entrophy thingie compensators) so you can get youself a Daniel for every day of the year...
*drops everything she's doing and sprints for the MS Thunk thread*
well, when you put it THAT way.....! (yep, I'm an equal opportunity thunker, MS and RDA :D )

astronomicalchick
October 28th, 2004, 10:16 AM
*drops everything she's doing and sprints for the MS Thunk thread*
well, when you put it THAT way.....! (yep, I'm an equal opportunity thunker, MS and RDA :D )

Beat ya to it KG!!!! :D

The chocolate is mine, I tell you, mine!!!!!

kiwigater
October 28th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Beat ya to it KG!!!! :D

The chocolate is mine, I tell you, mine!!!!!

whaaaa??? I'm sorry, did ya say something???..... *eyes firmly fixed on MS pics* :D :D

Bagpuss
October 28th, 2004, 10:59 AM
I don't think that a Ship Family Thread will ever be anything other than big! But there are people would would like two threads to talk in, or the choice of talking in a smaller thread that doesn't go off topic. It is only fair to them that they be allowed their freedom don't you think? And better for the Ship Family too, as you don't really want people to feel there is only one place to go to talk ship and if they're not happy in that place, then they have to leave GateWorld.

Gipsy, I've decided to change my vote from Option 1 to Option 2,if you don't mind switching it for me, please . :)
ie:
"Start a new S/J Ship Family Thread, plus a serious Ship Discussion Thread "

I feel the fairest way is to give the freedom of choice to those who want a serious discussion,separate from the Family thread.

Madeleine is right.The GW rules do matter.Shipperahoy made some excellent points too.

No solution is going to please everyone,is it ? The Daniel Threads work fine.

There's no reason I can think of, to refuse a second thread.

I realise feelings are going to be hurt,but we'll adjust ! :)

If option 5 is implemented I'd worry,because I think it would only lead to even more resentments in the long-term.

Just my opinion,but I'd be happy to post in both the Serious and the Family thread. :cool:

The Family, and you Moderaters, have gone through enough,IMO.

I'll add that we Shippers are very lucky, to have been allowed the leeway Madeleine referred to in her posts.

(Sorry to ramble ! :o)

TameFarrar
October 28th, 2004, 03:21 PM
I am just posting to say I am hoping that we know which thread is which SOON because I miss my family and from what I can see BOTH threads are still pretty much the same as before...Hurry please....:D :D :D I wanna Post stuff but I would like to wait till it has been decided :D

Bagpuss
October 28th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Tame,m'dear,according to my screen,the poll closes at 4.21pm GMT October 30 th ! (No idea what time that'll be with you,but you're going to BURST if you're planning to wait that long ! ;) )

TameFarrar
October 28th, 2004, 03:33 PM
I think GateGipsy is going to close it sooner I HOPE she said today was the last day in the other thread :eek:.......

Right now the other thread has just as much OT as this one so it is the Waiting that is killing me :D :D I want to post....but I don't want to post all over :D

Catysg1
October 28th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Yes Caty, the Shipper Family thread will be talking about ship and fluff, but the Ship Discussion Thread will only talk about ship. Therefore, that should satisfy those who wish serious Ship Discussion.

Well that's fine but I will only be posting my videos and my gemini and other episodes pics in one thread only ..don't have time to duplicate too much. ;)

Will have to see which one I prefer but I think it will be the Ship Discussion thread for me . ;)

I wish we could go back as before ..I really don't have the time to read through 2 shippy threads to be honest ..and I'm sad to lose any of the others . :( I even found it hard to catch up with the shippy discussion thread today. :S

Caty ;)

Bagpuss
October 28th, 2004, 03:40 PM
I think GateGipsy is going to close it sooner I HOPE she said today was the last day in the other thread :eek:.......

Right now the other thread has just as much OT as this one so it is the Waiting that is killing me :D :D I want to post....but I don't want to post all over :D

Oh.I didn't see that post. Oh,crumbs.... :S I'd better find it.

Well,to try to keep remotely on J/S topic,I watched some of Caty's vids tonight with my bunch.
Even my son loves "Die Another Day",but I'm the only real Travis fan,so I watched the video all alone . :(

Edit : Hi Caty,this'll be sorted soon. :)

Catysg1
October 28th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Oh.I didn't see that post. Oh,crumbs.... :S I'd better find it.

Well,to try to keep remotely on J/S topic,I watched some of Caty's vids tonight with my bunch.
Even my son loves "Die Another Day",but I'm the only real Travis fan,so I watched the video all alone . :(

Edit : Hi Caty,this'll be sorted soon. :)

F.H BAGPUSS ..So you gonna stay in that thread ..we won't see you over the other side anymore :(
Well I just did another video tonight "Everything" lifehouse ...Smallville theme soundtrack ..but it's posted in the other thread because it's pretty serious stuff ;)

dipsofjazz
October 28th, 2004, 03:56 PM

Perhaps we should issue a safety warning with your posts, Tame! :p I'd hate to see what happens if you burst waiting to post...with all those naquadah-enhanced green jello squares of lurve!!!! :eek:

Bagpuss
October 28th, 2004, 04:02 PM
F.H BAGPUSS ..So you gonna stay in that thread ..we won't see you over the other side anymore :(
Well I just did another video tonight "Everything" lifehouse ...Smallville theme soundtrack ..but it's posted in the other thread because it's pretty serious stuff ;)

I'll be over in the main thread soon, Caty ! :D I'm not in a huff,honest.
I'm just feeling a bit tired tonight,and a bit angsty....I've overdosed on Fan-fics and vids I think . :o I must d/l your latest though ...ASAP !

Rewatching "Heroes" this afternoon didn't help.I wanted to rewatch the Shippy moments, Spoilers for Heroes S7 but I got very sad over Janet's death

Catysg1
October 28th, 2004, 04:09 PM
I'll be over in the main thread soon, Caty ! :D I'm not in a huff,honest.
I'm just feeling a bit tired tonight,and a bit angsty....I've overdosed on Fan-fics and vids I think . :o I must d/l your latest though ...ASAP !

Rewatching "Heroes" this afternoon didn't help.I wanted to rewatch the Shippy moments, Spoilers for Heroes S7 but I got very sad over Janet's death

I don't know what huff means!!!

Heroes wassad ...poor Janet and mostly poor for all the others left behind like cassie , Daniel, Sam , Jack, teal'c and everybody else who knew her and how good she was for the SGC :( ..don't like the new doc too much ..too serious ...I hope you enjoy all the shipy episodes now you are a real SHIPPER. ;) wAY TO GO :D

Sam and Jack forever together until the end of time ;)

Caty ;)

Critter
October 28th, 2004, 04:21 PM

Heroes wassad ...poor Janet and mostly poor for all the others left behind like cassie , Daniel, Sam , Jack, teal'c and everybody else who knew her and how good she was for the SGC :( ..don't like the new doc too much ..too serious ...I hope you enjoy all the shipy episodes now you are a real SHIPPER. ;) wAY TO GO :D

Caty ;)
"Huff" means to be upset Caty. (((((FHB))))) isn't in a huff, not upset. You were right in your spoiler Caty. That was really sad. When I see her the older episodes I realize how much she is missed.

jafacakes
October 28th, 2004, 04:22 PM

I knew I shouldn't have skipped a day , but what's this with 2 threads ?
Wasn't there already a chatter ship thread somewhere ?
And where is the line drawn about flufiness in ship?
Now I realy will never catch up.

Bagpuss
October 28th, 2004, 04:51 PM

Caty ;)

"Huff" means to be upset Caty. (((((FHB))))) isn't in a huff, not upset. You were right in your spoiler Caty. That was really sad. When I see her the older episodes I realize how much she is missed.

Oops ! Sorry Caty,I should have used the word "upset". (Thanks Critter ! :) )

Oh,I'm a real Shipper,and I love rewatching the eps ,especially with Gatelette,....it's lovely. :) I want more ! (Parts of New Order and Zero Hour were nice though,IMO . ;) )
Spoilers for Heroes
The problem with "Heroes" for me, is I really cared about Janet and Cassie's story arc. So much that it clouds the Shippy bits for me. :(

Anyway,enough angst ! :D I've d/loaded your newest video,Caty,and I'll watch with Gatelette first thing tomorrow .

Bliss !!

I knew I shouldn't have skipped a day , but what's this with 2 threads ?
Wasn't there already a chatter ship thread somewhere ?
And where is the line drawn about flufiness in ship?
Now I realy will never catch up.
((((((((Jafacakes)))))))
I'm not sure how best to explain this objectively,myself ! Best you read Gipsy,Madeleine and Shipperahoy's posts here on this,and the main thread ,and have a good look at the issue for yourself. :)

Basically the voting options are in the Poll here. Good luck,choosing !

majorsal
October 28th, 2004, 05:29 PM

I want to change mine too. I originally picked 'Keep both threads as they are for now and see what happens', but now I want a 'pro s/j ship discussion thread' & a 'pro s/j ship and chatter thread'.

Catysg1
October 28th, 2004, 05:52 PM
I want to change mine too. I originally picked 'Keep both threads as they are for now and see what happens', but now I want a 'pro s/j ship discussion thread' & a 'pro s/j ship and chatter thread'.

But then the family will be divided big time because everybody won't have the time to read both threads :(which is a real shame ..

....and the trouble came from a newbie who started to post in the shipper thread to say she was not felt welcome .!!!!(Don't get it)....

...so I think the best is to open a thread for the Sam and Jack shipper NEWBIES who are scared or shy to post in our thread and then ...when they feel like they can move on ,..they can join us ....and we could go to their thread to say hello and speak to them ....but not do any OT....I think the old thread was much more fun until that day :S

and I won't be able to post in both threads anyway ( I had a hard job just catching up on the discussion thread today) and will miss the other part of the family. :(

I have already noticed the division big time ..and it's really annoying ...The thread was fine until somebody from the outside (with one post) upsetted us ..with a post which was not very nice to read for all shippers . ;)

We always welcomed the newbies ..but if they don't want OT ..then we should create a thread for them first...and the family should stick together . ;) with OT ( cookies, penguins , shipper town fluff sam and Jack ,) and serious shippy sam and Jack discussions because it had never been a problem before that strenuous day :S and it gives the thread a bit of style .

majorsal
October 28th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Because it's safe to post this here, I've been wanting to share my joy of this great movie I saw a couple of days ago. It's called K-19: The Widow Maker, with Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson. It's not easy for me to like a movie without a female to live through (and one I like), but this story is so good and so well done that I highly recommend it.

GateGipsy
October 29th, 2004, 03:13 AM
The poll has closed and as you can see, option 5 has the majority. It is not a clear majority however - nearly as many people voted for option 1 and 2.

Looking at the options, numbers 1 and 2 are really nearly identical, with the main difference being the name. From the results it would seem that quite a lot of people seem to like the thread name S/J Ship Family. So we've started a new poll to see if people do actually want the name changed.

To vote in the new poll click HERE

As we said, we'd go with the majority. Therefore we're going to close this thread. All discussion can continue in the other thread. We'll keep this one up for a while so that people can view the poll. Then we'll either merge it with the other one or archive it, depending on what happens with the new poll.

Thanks for all the time people have taken to put forward their viewpoints on this.