This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goa'uld history/technology acquisition

The Goa'uld evolved on a planet where they would infect the Unas. Somehow or another some Goa'uld managed to figure out the Stargate and escaped. They eventually discovered earth and how we make great hosts - so what happened from the time the first Unas Goa'uld left his planet to the time the Goa'uld discovered earth? Where did they obtain their present technology? I don't see a lot of Goa'ulds doing research besides Nirrti!

You're forgetting that Goa'uld gain the knowlege of any host they take. They must have moved up the chain in technologically advanced races in order to learn space travel.
    Enter my game site...

Comment

Originally posted by bob55
      The Goa'uld evolved on a planet where they would infect the Unas. Somehow or another some Goa'uld managed to figure out the Stargate and escaped. They eventually discovered earth and how we make great hosts - so what happened from the time the first Unas Goa'uld left his planet to the time the Goa'uld discovered earth? Where did they obtain their present technology? I don't see a lot of Goa'ulds doing research besides Nirrti!
      I have a theory in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by bob55
        I don't see a lot of Goa'ulds doing research besides Nirrti!
        True, but just because we don't see it in the series doesn't mean it doesn't happen - after all, there's probably a lot of stuff about Goa'uld society that we don't see. Also it seems a little implausible that the Goa'uld are intelligent enough to understand and use the knowlegdge they steal from hosts yet are completely incapable of coming up with anything themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Ptah
          True, but just because we don't see it in the series doesn't mean it doesn't happen - after all, there's probably a lot of stuff about Goa'uld society that we don't see. Also it seems a little implausible that the Goa'uld are intelligent enough to understand and use the knowlegdge they steal from hosts yet are completely incapable of coming up with anything themselves.
          The Goa'uld stole most (if not all) of their tech from the Ancients. For more info, click on the link in Daniel's post.
          Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
            The Goa'uld stole most (if not all) of their tech from the Ancients. For more info, click on the link in Daniel's post.
            First, I've said this a hundred times by now, but it's worth saying again...the Goa'uld were not mindless snakes before they infested the first unas. How could they be? If that were true, and we go on the assumption that they learn from taking their host's body and knowledge, what would becoming a Unas have gained them? A body that can live on land, grunt, and move about with arms and legs. While this is a lot, they would have gained very little knowledge from the Unas hosts, yet we know that Ra came to Earth in ships. We have to assume that by the time Ra came to Earth, it had been a LONG time, perhaps tens of thousands of years, since the first goa'uld-unas blending occurred. Remember, Ra had been searcing the galaxy for a long time to save his "dying" race. We're talking a long time.

Those little aqautic snakes had to have some form of intelligence, perhaps similar to terrestrial dolphins and orcas. I'm not saying they had a complex society, but they were sentient and capable of complex thought while trapped in their underwater world. Once they discovered they could control other animals, like the Unas, they were able to now speak, manipulate objects, and explore their planet's land masses. They found the gate, and from there, the rest is history. Of course they gain the knowlege of their hosts, but unless the host has knowledge on how to build a starship, hyperdrive, staff weapon, zat gun, etc., it won't mean jack squat. Unless the Unas were an extremely advanced civilization, which the evidence from P3X-888 does not support, then the blending would have gained them a body from which they could evolve as land-based creatures with limbs, opposable thumbs, and the means of verbal speech.

Second, after the blending, and after the Goa'uld began to develop a society, language, and culture, they discovered some old Ancient technology. At first, they learned how to use the stargate on their world. Probably on other worlds, they found some old Ancient tech. Much of their current technology base appears to be based on old Ancient tech, which is still incredibly advanced. My guess is that they retro-engineered some of the tech, but also learned from doing their own experiments.

While I have no proof of this, other than my theory, I think the Goa'uld created and designed their own ships based on stargate technology and other technology they encountered from the Ancients. So far, we have not seen any Ancient ships that resemble Goa'uld ships. Ships owned by the Aschen, Tollan, Asgard, Martin's people, and any other ship we've seen from the last 8 years worth of episodes do not match or resemble any goa'uld ship. The Goa'uld ships are quite unique. If you argue that they are Ancient ships, I say look at Atlantis and look at the Puddlejumpers. Do they appear to be similar to Goa'uld ships? Not to me. Now you might say, "yah, but that's in the pegasus galaxy, they might have had older ships in the Milky Way." Yah, well....SPOILER

In an upcoming episode of SG-1, Carter will find a puddlejumper on some planet. It will be like the ones used in Atlantis. The same people, the Ancients, built them both. It won't be like a Death Glider, El Kesh, or Ha-tak. The Goa'uld most likely conceived, designed, and built their own ships. Yes, some of the power source stuff is based on Ancient technology, but that doesn't mean they didn't create their own ships.

I concede, the ring transporters appear to be from the Ancients and modified by the Goa'uld, but much of the goa'uld's tech appears to be distinctly unique: staff weapons, zat guns, ribbon devices, healing devices (based on ancient tech). We haven't seen other races use these devices, or anything close to them.

Third, the Goa'uld have done research or experimentation:
            - Nirriti and personal cloaking device; genetic engineering for superior hosts
            - Apophis for better Hat'ak ships, elite SGC disguised troops
            - Ba'al - gravity drives
            - Anubis - Kulls, shields, and many other things
            - Teltac - healing devices; bringing back peeps from the dead thingy
            - Hathor - disguising Jaffa as SGC crew in future
            - Pelops - rapid aging
            Many other episodes, too many to list, have dealt with some device that some old Goa'uld used to do something, usually to control people. Remember the "Light" and "First Commandment"? Weather control devices and mind control devices designed and used by the Goa'uld. True, we don't know where they got them from, but remember one thing, the Goa'uld did not live side-by-side with the Ancients; they never had an alliance with them. They might have found Ancient tech, but they had to learn how to use it and understand it by retro-engineering the devices; this takes intelligence. And, um, neither the humans from Earth, taken as hosts, or the Unas, had any memories of how to create weather control devices, healing devices, ribbon devices, zat guns, hyperdrives, etc.

Canon tells us that the Unas were the first hosts and it is inferred that humans were the "best" hosts. We don't know for sure that there were other races used as hosts on a long term basis. They have used animals ("the tomb") and perhaps other sentient races as hosts, and they may have learned from these hosts, but based on the last 8 years of canon, it seems that the humans and unas are the primary hosts. My guess is that they didn't learn all this neat tech stuff from anyone other than themselves and their own snakey ingenuity. No one said they were original, of course they steal and assimilate the tech of others, but who doesn't?

Do you think the Asgard invented and discovered all of their own tech? They were involved in an alliance of three other advanced races, including the Ancients. Who's to say that they weren't given much of their advanced tech by the Ancients or Furlings or Nox? Maybe they traded it? Maybe they retro engineered it too? It was never said that they discovered everything on their own.

Fourth, if the Ancients are the most advanced race encountered so far (keep in mind, they created the gates and built flying damn cities that go to other galaxies), why is it that, IF the Goa'uld use their tech, the Asgard are more advanced than them? The Ancients were more advanced than the Asgard, who can't even beat the replicators. With Jack's knowledge of the ancients buried in his skull, he was able to build a ZPM, modify hyperdrives, and create a weapon to destroy the reps, in almost no time. The Asgard can't or couldn't do that stuff. Yet the Asgard are more advanced than the goa'uld. Hmmm, if the Goa'uld use Ancient tech, it would stand to reason that they would be superior to the Asgard, which we know they are not.

Therefore, their tech is NOT Ancient tech, but merely modified, retroengineered tech that is related to, or modified from, some Ancient technology. The Goa'uld have pretty distinctive technology that seems to be uniquely theirs. Yes, the crystals and rings appear to be ripped off from the Ancients, but keep in mind, my iPod is powered by the same batteries that also power a walkman from 1986. Different technology that was designed around the same power source.

Comment

Working...
            X