This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Charlton Heston

I wanted to acknowledge and honor the passing of a true great. I'm sure some or most of you have seen one or many of Heston's great films. I loved quite a few of his movies including ... The Ten Commandments, 55 Days at Peking, Planet of the Apes, Ben Hur, The Mountain Men, El Cid, The Greatest Show On Earth, Four Musketeers, The Naked Jungle, Tombstone, Soylent Green, The Omega Man, just to name a few. There were'nt to many bigger Hollywood Icon's than the man himself.

I also would like to acknowledge the passing of another Hollywood great: Richard Widmark. Some of his great movies I love are ... Judgment at Nuremberg, The Alamo, Hell and High Water, The Long Ships, Murder on the Orient Express.

The world is a far less cooler place without either of these two guy's.

(AP) LOS ANGELES - Charlton Heston, who won the 1959 best actor Oscar as the chariot-racing "Ben-Hur" and portrayed Moses, Michelangelo, El Cid and other heroic figures in movie epics of the '50s and '60s, has died. He was 84.

The actor died Saturday night at his home in Beverly Hills with his wife Lydia at his side, family spokesman Bill Powers said.

Powers declined to comment on the cause of death or provide further details.

Heston revealed in 2002 that he had symptoms consistent with Alzheimer's disease, saying, "I must reconcile courage and surrender in equal measure."

With his large, muscular build, well-boned face and sonorous voice, Heston proved the ideal star during the period when Hollywood was filling movie screens with panoramas depicting the religious and historical past. "I have a face that belongs in another century," he often remarked.

The actor assumed the role of leader offscreen as well. He served as president of the Screen Actors Guild and chairman of the American Film Institute and marched in the civil rights movement of the 1950s. With age, he grew more conservative and campaigned for conservative candidates.

In June 1998, Heston was elected president of the National Rifle Association, for which he had posed for ads holding a rifle. He delivered a jab at then-President Clinton, saying, "America doesn't trust you with our 21-year-old daughters, and we sure, Lord, don't trust you with our guns."

Heston stepped down as NRA president in April 2003, telling members his five years in office were "quite a ride. ... I loved every minute of it."

Later that year, Heston was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor. "The largeness of character that comes across the screen has also been seen throughout his life," President Bush said at the time.

He engaged in a lengthy feud with liberal Ed Asner during the latter's tenure as president of the Screen Actors Guild. His latter-day activism almost overshadowed his achievements as an actor, which were considerable.

Heston lent his strong presence to some of the most acclaimed and successful films of the midcentury. "Ben-Hur" won 11 Academy Awards, tying it for the record with the more recent "Titanic" (1997) and "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" (2003). Heston's other hits include: "The Ten Commandments," "El Cid," "55 Days at Peking," "Planet of the Apes" and "Earthquake."

He liked to cite the number of historical figures he had portrayed:

Andrew Jackson ("The President's Lady," "The Buccaneer"), Moses ("The Ten Commandments"), title role of "El Cid," John the Baptist ("The Greatest Story Ever Told"), Michelangelo ("The Agony and the Ecstasy"), General Gordon ("Khartoum"), Marc Antony ("Julius Caesar," "Antony and Cleopatra"), Cardinal Richelieu ("The Three Musketeers"), Henry VIII ("The Prince and the Pauper").

Heston made his movie debut in the 1940s in two independent films by a college classmate, David Bradley, who later became a noted film archivist. He had the title role in "Peer Gynt" in 1942 and was Marc Antony in Bradley's 1949 version of "Julius Caesar," for which Heston was paid $50 a week.

Film producer Hal B. Wallis ("Casablanca") spotted Heston in a 1950 television production of "Wuthering Heights" and offered him a contract. When his wife reminded him that they had decided to pursue theater and television, he replied, "Well, maybe just for one film to see what it's like."

Heston earned star billing from his first Hollywood movie, "Dark City," a 1950 film noir. Cecil B. DeMille next cast him as the circus manager in the all-star "The Greatest Show On Earth," named by the Motion Picture Academy as the best picture of 1952.
    Last edited by the Fifth Race; 05 April 2008, 09:39 PM.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

next stop: soylent green

amirite?!

but srsly. god speed to a legend.

DAMN DIRTY APES!!

Comment

I just woke up and read the sad news. Heston truly was one of the Hollywood greats!. From his bodybuilders physique and good looks to his soft yet steely demeanor on screen, he was special. A few of my favorite Heston flicks are --

The Ten Commandments - I never get tired of re-watching this wonderful movie.
      Ben Hur - From the epic Chariot Race scene to the 11 Academy Awards it won in 1959 (including Best Picture) a can't miss film.
      55 Days at Peking - A great dramatization of the Boxer Rebellion which took place in 1900 China.
      Soylent Green - Truly one of the creepiest and best scifi movies ever made. Rent this one if you have never seen it!.
      The Planet of the Apes - "Take your hands off me, you Damn dirty Apes", one the greatest quotes from one of the greatest movies of all-time!.
      The Omega Man - Another truly great scifi film based on Richard Matheson's 1954 novel, I Am Legend (much better than the recent modern version).
      El Cid - Sophia Loren and Heston were magical in this great historical film.
      The Greatest Show on Earth - An Academy Award Winning Cecil B. DeMille movie where Heston played the Ring Master of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus. (it won the academy award for best film and best story in 1952).
      The Mountain Men - Heston and Brian Keith were fantastic co-stars, just a great outdoor adventure movie.
      The USS Defiant Rocks!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

very sad news
        sigpic
        Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
        Metal gear fan

Comment

Must get out my Planet of the Apes movies again. I have the re-make also but that ending still has me wondering why Tim Burton even went there. And listening to the commentary didn't help either.
          Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
            I wanted to acknowledge and honor the passing of a true great. I'm sure some or most of you have seen one or many of Heston's great films. I loved quite a few of his movies including ... The Ten Commandments, 55 Days at Peking, Planet of the Apes, Ben Hur, The Mountain Men, El Cid, The Greatest Show On Earth, Four Musketeers, The Naked Jungle, Tombstone, Soylent Green, The Omega Man, just to name a few. There were'nt to many bigger Hollywood Icon's than the man himself.

I also would like to acknowledge the passing of another Hollywood great: Richard Widmark. Some of his great movies I love are ... Judgment at Nuremberg, The Alamo, Hell and High Water, The Long Ships, Murder on the Orient Express.

The world is a far less cooler place without either of these two guy's.

(AP) LOS ANGELES - Charlton Heston, who won the 1959 best actor Oscar as the chariot-racing "Ben-Hur" and portrayed Moses, Michelangelo, El Cid and other heroic figures in movie epics of the '50s and '60s, has died. He was 84.

The actor died Saturday night at his home in Beverly Hills with his wife Lydia at his side, family spokesman Bill Powers said.

Powers declined to comment on the cause of death or provide further details.

Heston revealed in 2002 that he had symptoms consistent with Alzheimer's disease, saying, "I must reconcile courage and surrender in equal measure."

With his large, muscular build, well-boned face and sonorous voice, Heston proved the ideal star during the period when Hollywood was filling movie screens with panoramas depicting the religious and historical past. "I have a face that belongs in another century," he often remarked.

The actor assumed the role of leader offscreen as well. He served as president of the Screen Actors Guild and chairman of the American Film Institute and marched in the civil rights movement of the 1950s. With age, he grew more conservative and campaigned for conservative candidates.

In June 1998, Heston was elected president of the National Rifle Association, for which he had posed for ads holding a rifle. He delivered a jab at then-President Clinton, saying, "America doesn't trust you with our 21-year-old daughters, and we sure, Lord, don't trust you with our guns."

Heston stepped down as NRA president in April 2003, telling members his five years in office were "quite a ride. ... I loved every minute of it."

Later that year, Heston was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor. "The largeness of character that comes across the screen has also been seen throughout his life," President Bush said at the time.

He engaged in a lengthy feud with liberal Ed Asner during the latter's tenure as president of the Screen Actors Guild. His latter-day activism almost overshadowed his achievements as an actor, which were considerable.

Heston lent his strong presence to some of the most acclaimed and successful films of the midcentury. "Ben-Hur" won 11 Academy Awards, tying it for the record with the more recent "Titanic" (1997) and "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" (2003). Heston's other hits include: "The Ten Commandments," "El Cid," "55 Days at Peking," "Planet of the Apes" and "Earthquake."

He liked to cite the number of historical figures he had portrayed:

Andrew Jackson ("The President's Lady," "The Buccaneer"), Moses ("The Ten Commandments"), title role of "El Cid," John the Baptist ("The Greatest Story Ever Told"), Michelangelo ("The Agony and the Ecstasy"), General Gordon ("Khartoum"), Marc Antony ("Julius Caesar," "Antony and Cleopatra"), Cardinal Richelieu ("The Three Musketeers"), Henry VIII ("The Prince and the Pauper").

Heston made his movie debut in the 1940s in two independent films by a college classmate, David Bradley, who later became a noted film archivist. He had the title role in "Peer Gynt" in 1942 and was Marc Antony in Bradley's 1949 version of "Julius Caesar," for which Heston was paid $50 a week.

Film producer Hal B. Wallis ("Casablanca") spotted Heston in a 1950 television production of "Wuthering Heights" and offered him a contract. When his wife reminded him that they had decided to pursue theater and television, he replied, "Well, maybe just for one film to see what it's like."

Heston earned star billing from his first Hollywood movie, "Dark City," a 1950 film noir. Cecil B. DeMille next cast him as the circus manager in the all-star "The Greatest Show On Earth," named by the Motion Picture Academy as the best picture of 1952.
            Maybe we'll finally get to see that final Planet of the Apes Sequel ("Uprising on the Planet of the Apes" [1976]) that he didn't let them release....
            sigpic
            "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
            ~David Hewlett

Comment

He Is Legendisall
              Late to the Gate

Comment

R.I.P. Mr. Heston. I enjoyed a lot of his work.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Good bye Mr. Heston, you were one of the Great ones.
                  Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Truly one of the greats!. He covered all genre's of film from scifi to the melodramtic. He left quite a legacy of movies for all generations to enjoy.

I noticed some mention of favorite Heston films. I would definetly rank The Ten Commandments and Ben Hur as the pinnacle of his career, Cecil B. DeMille sure knew how to make great epic movies. I also really enjoyed Heston's foray into scifi with 4 very creepy and well made 1970's movies Soylent Green, The Planet of the Apes, Beneath the Planet of the Apes and The Omega Man.

Comment

Working...
                    X