PDA

View Full Version : Asguard crystals aboard the phoenix

Diablo_719
March 22nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
I just noticed this.....when rodney and sam are getting the Phoenix ready for combat, there is a shot of the crystal tray open, and the center crystal has a microchip in it, as did the one from TAOT. Is this just prop reuse, or was it supposed to be there?

Jumper_One
March 22nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
you mean this?
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee163/Jumper_One/SGA/HDTVsga-4x20-1508.jpg

Diablo_719
March 22nd, 2008, 10:11 PM
yes, exactly that

The Suicidal Goldfish
March 23rd, 2008, 02:16 AM
Asgard

Integrabyte
March 23rd, 2008, 07:15 AM
Spell it with me: A S G A R D :P.

Vala_M
March 23rd, 2008, 07:42 AM
I noticed that too, but only after "Ark of Truth" was released.

And notice that in "Unending" that the crystal tray that opens up in the Asgard core wasn't there in "Unending"

http://www.macsyourman.com/stargatesg1971/screencaps/season10/1020/caps/HDTVsg1-10x20_4548.html

And the crystal type was totally different than the "Ark of Truth" type as well.

http://www.macsyourman.com/stargatesg1971/screencaps/season10/1020/caps/HDTVsg1-10x20_4729.html

And does this mean that the Phoenix had an Asgard core as well? It had the new engineering room that the Odyssey had but the Daedalus and the Apollo kept the same style as before.

Vala,

Dutch_Razor
March 23rd, 2008, 09:13 AM
It is possible this is a hybrid Tau'ri /Asgard design, and the asgard data crystel serves as a socket for the microship :)

s09119
March 23rd, 2008, 09:17 AM
Oh, this is rediculous. Do TPTB really expect us to believe that after one year of having the Asgard stuff, we can already reproduce the core? I mean seriously, how idiotic are they going to make the show!

PG15
March 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Reproducing the core =/= knowing how it works.

It could be as easy (since the whole core was made very user friendly for us dumb humans) as replicating a bunch of data crystals and slotting them together. Who knows. It's alien technology.

I will never understand the fandom seemingly understanding how complex alien technology can be, despite how little we've seen of their internal mechanics.

s09119
March 23rd, 2008, 12:19 PM

It could be as easy (since the whole core was made very user friendly for us dumb humans) as replicating a bunch of data crystals and slotting them together. Who knows. It's alien technology.

I will never understand the fandom seemingly understanding how complex alien technology can be, despite how little we've seen of their internal mechanics.

It's an alien computer capable of creating stuff from nothing. Allowing us to mass produce these things is just... not good for balance or believability.

PG15
March 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
I can dig it.

Though we have yet to really "mass produce" it. Just a ship a year, and even then they aren't as good. Heck, we don't even know if non-Odyssey ships are equipped with the Trek-style replicator.

Vala_M
March 23rd, 2008, 02:15 PM
I don't think that the other ships have the molecular construction capabilities, the Daedalus and the Apollo still had the old engineering room except Hermiod's console was missing.

Vala,

talyn2k1
March 23rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
It's an alien computer capable of creating stuff from nothing. Allowing us to mass produce these things is just... not good for balance or believability.

The computer stores the information, its the 'matter synthesizer' (MS) that does the replicating.
Its not that mad to believe that we used the core on the Odyssey to teach us how to build another core component by component that we could use to semi-duplicate the Asgard knowledge.
Maybe we've more tightly integrated it with the Phoenix's systems so it now acts as a more efficient computer control core for the entire ship.
Just because they reused the prop, doesn't mean it is exactly the same machine that serves exactly the same purpose.

I was watching Enterprise the other day and noticed that an alien race were using the same weapon prop that was used as a generic alien weapon in TNG and Voyager, and served as the Jem'Hadar weapon prop in DS9, with very little modification occurring in any appearance.
The tight budgets in TV production sometimes warrant blatant prop reuse just so that they can save the big bucks for other things.

Chances are, the core was still in the 304 engine room set from AoT, and possibly Continuum, and removing it would've been just another expense. If that's the case, why bother when you can spend those $$ on something else?

GoSpikey
March 23rd, 2008, 05:09 PM
Spell it with me: A S G A R D :P.

:lol: Thank you!

GoSpikey
March 23rd, 2008, 05:15 PM

PG15, do you dare to go into the Science and Tech part of the site?

I ran from there twice already, with a face that looked like :S

Can't believe I didn't know all that either. So they're making most of it up? :P

Figures. Like men and asking for directions... :D

;)

PG15
March 23rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
PG15, do you dare to go into the Science and Tech part of the site?

I ran from there twice already, with a face that looked like :S

Can't believe I didn't know all that either. So they're making most of it up? :P

Figures. Like men and asking for directions... :D

;)

I used to visit there often, then got tired of all the crap being flinged around on one side, and the absolute atrocious fanboy-tech-isms on the other.

I wouldn't say they make it up COMPLETELY. Obviously they take stuff from the show and expand on them. But like I say, a lot of them seem to have such a sure-ness on how right they are about certain properties of fictional technology that it's really like talking to a brick wall. And then there are those who spend huge posts calculating weapons yields when it's ridiculously clear that TPTB care more for the stories, the characters, and the spectacle than spending hours making sure all the explosions are the right yield-looking, and that taking info from onscreen evidence in this fashion is pretty much useless, especially when the data from the show is seldom self-consistent.

It's an exercise in minutiae, basically.

2ndgenerationalteran
March 24th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Or they use a counsol that looks the same as the core but has a different purpose.

Vala_M
March 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Chances are, the core was still in the 304 engine room set from AoT, and possibly Continuum, and removing it would've been just another expense. If that's the case, why bother when you can spend those $$ on something else?

Stargate isn't a show to take shortcuts. They removed the core prop and the crystals for the Daedalus and Apollo bridge so it was obviously meant to be on the Phoenix.

Vala,

Integrabyte
March 25th, 2008, 04:23 AM
How difficult is it to write A S G A R D? It actually takes longer to write that other abomination :P.

talyn2k1
March 25th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Stargate isn't a show to take shortcuts. They removed the core prop and the crystals for the Daedalus and Apollo bridge so it was obviously meant to be on the Phoenix.

Vala,

It seems to me that the Asgard console on the bridge would be alot easier to remove. The core looks like its been built into the set itself. I could be wrong on that one though.

OR

Maybe it was just a cost-effective way of showing the advancements between the Phoenix and the Daedy/Apollo.

I still stand by my statement that even if it was left there intentionally for story purposes rather than because it was too expensive, that even though it is the same prop, it isn't necessarily the same device.

I might ask Joe on his blog, as I'm sure if we tried hard enough we could come up with a million reasons why it was there and why it is or is not the same device.

generaloneill
April 2nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Oh, this is rediculous. Do TPTB really expect us to believe that after one year of having the Asgard stuff, we can already reproduce the core? I mean seriously, how idiotic are they going to make the show!

if we can upgrade the daedalus and the apollo with asgard beam weapons
then i don't see why we can't reproduce the asgard core.

the phoenix had an asgard core which was most likely reproduced by the asgard core on the odyssey carter did say that the core was user friendly

the asgard core can re-create anything its programmed to re-create

all carter would have had to is tell the core to build another one using the info in its memory banks and it would do it

who is to say its been only one year since they got the asgard core it would have been a lot longer when jack was stranded on adora 3 months or more went by, we also don't know how much time went by between when sheppard disappeared and when the phoenix was built.

the daedalus has an asgard core of sorts hermiod's work station so why doesn't the apollo have one?

JSPuddlejumper
April 13th, 2008, 08:24 PM
A Roman solider can be taught to use a gun. Earth with the Asgard beams.

The Asgard made the interface human friendly. So I do not see a problem with the ability to make stuff.

It is not like Carter was making Asgard tech from scratch. The Star Trek replicator and super computer does 99.99999...% of the work.

Mitchell82
April 13th, 2008, 10:09 PM
A Roman solider can be taught to use a gun. Earth with the Asgard beams.

The Asgard made the interface human friendly. So I do not see a problem with the ability to make stuff.

It is not like Carter was making Asgard tech from scratch. The Star Trek replicator and super computer does 99.99999...% of the work.

I agree.