PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds

D.C.
October 24th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Anyone looking forward to the War of the Worlds in 2005?

MartoufMarty
October 24th, 2004, 04:56 PM
They're remaking that movie?

My god.

Who's it starring?

D.C.
October 24th, 2004, 04:57 PM
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0407304/

MartoufMarty
October 24th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Tom Crusie?

Tim Robbins?

Miranda Otto!

... Okay, I'll just have to wait for the previews and what not.

D.C.
October 24th, 2004, 05:04 PM
So far it's my most anticipated movie for next year.

MartoufMarty
October 24th, 2004, 05:06 PM
I haven't heard of any movies that are supposed to come out next year... I don't really know what movies are supposed to come out for the rest of the year (minus those which I have seen previews for.)

When is Sky Captian and the World of Tomorrow supposed to be released in theaters? When me and my sister went and saw Return of the King in theaters in January we saw a preview for it (with the Stargate music, hehehehe) and we saw the preview again when we went to see Spiderman 2 in August.

They didn't play the preview in July when we saw The Day After Tomorrow... I think it was July... or June... Dunno which lol.

D.C.
October 24th, 2004, 05:11 PM
I don't know if Canada is the same, but Sky Captain opened in the U.S. months ago. (Australia has to wait until February for some reason.)

The next Jurassic Park movie is rumoured to be opening at the end of next year as well.

MartoufMarty
October 24th, 2004, 05:14 PM
It did?!

... I never noticed lol.

NightGloom
October 24th, 2004, 07:20 PM
They're making a new Jurassic Park?...why?

I love War of the Worlds, I'd probably have to wait to see the previews, but I like Miranda Otto so... maybe.

MartoufMarty
October 24th, 2004, 07:56 PM
They're making a new Jurassic Park?...why?

I love War of the Worlds, I'd probably have to wait to see the previews, but I like Miranda Otto so... maybe.
Yeah. I heard about this a while ago. I don't really know what it's gonna be about, but I think that the movies have been getting progressively worse as they go along.

Jurassic Park is still the best!

puddlejumper747
October 24th, 2004, 08:07 PM
So far it's my most anticipated movie for next year.
Ummm... NO. No possible way... :D

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - May 19, 2005
http://www.nightly.net/ubb/episode3banner.gif

D.C.
October 24th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Well Jurassic Park III wasn't as good as the first two, but this ones going to be done like the first two with lots of the same production team. King Kong also comes out next year. That's another one that will be added to the list.

puddlejumper: Heh, Episode III as well. :)

JediTrilobite
October 25th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Might be good. I'll hold off judgement until the first trailers come out.

yaaayoubetcha
October 26th, 2004, 07:13 AM
i'm really not planning on seeing it......

it's expected to be an fx ladden behemoth that gets by more on looks than substance.....i'm surprised will smith's not in it.....

i believe FF is sposed to be released around the same time.....i'll be saving my time for that I think......

D.C.
November 29th, 2004, 02:20 PM
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-11/29/11.00.film - Some more War of the Worlds update. Like I said in another thread, I read at http://www.cinescape.com/ that they're hoping to release the teaser trailer for the movie next month, attached to Ocean's 12.

Tom Servo
November 29th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Ummm... NO. No possible way... :D

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - May 19, 2005
http://www.nightly.net/ubb/episode3banner.gif

ROTS, BOOOOO!!! :p I hate star wars!!

I will definately see WOTW when it comes out. I love speilburg and cruise. I'll just wait and see.

D.C.
November 29th, 2004, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure about Cruise, but everything else is pretty damn awesome. :)

D.C.
December 2nd, 2004, 01:49 PM
http://www.waroftheworlds.com/

Check it out, the movie's teaser site was released today? Looks pretty awesome. Cinescape seems to have new War of the World updates everyday. :)

Mr Prophet
December 2nd, 2004, 02:02 PM
They're remaking that movie?

Ah...I think you mean: "They're filming that book again".

D.C.
December 3rd, 2004, 02:30 AM
This is definately my most anticipated movie, I can't wait to find out more about it.

Janus
December 4th, 2004, 03:38 AM
This is definately my most anticipated movie, I can't wait to find out more about it.

Seconded.
I hope they came up with something really cool for the Marsians heat reay.

Jarnin
December 4th, 2004, 04:39 AM
According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_%282005_movie%29):

The War of the Worlds is not a remake of the 1953 film of the same name. Rather, the directors are striving to make the 2005 film as close to H.G. Wells' original novel as possible. It is to be directed by Steven Spielberg, with a script by David Koepp and starring Tom Cruise. It is currently set for a release date of 2005.

In August of 2004, the Internet Movie Database reported that the film was "poised to make history in Hollywood as the most expensive film ever made - surpassing Titanic's $198 million budget." The report quoted an unnamed source that said, "No expense will be spared. Spielberg wants to make it the film of the decade."

X-Man
December 4th, 2004, 01:10 PM
If they want to keep it close to the original, it better be at least a 15 cert, if not a 18.

But you can't beat the 1950's original. Now THAT was quality...

Matt G
December 4th, 2004, 01:24 PM
It's the themetune that's class!:)

D.C.
December 4th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I wonder if John Williams will reference it in his score.

Mr Prophet
December 4th, 2004, 03:50 PM
But you can't beat the 1950's original. Now THAT was quality...

But not 'original'. It was still a film of the book.

If they're trying to stick to the book, I wonder if the first cylinder will land in Woking? Oh God! I hope Tom Cruise isn't going to be doing an English accent!

D.C.
December 4th, 2004, 03:51 PM
It's set in modern day U.S.

Mr Prophet
December 4th, 2004, 04:05 PM
It's set in modern day U.S.

So, not that close to the original then?

D.C.
December 4th, 2004, 04:07 PM
It's definately going to be pretty different to the original book/film/etc. It's obviously going to be changed if it's set in modern day and in the U.S., but I think they're going to be loyal to the subject matter.

Mr Prophet
December 4th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Then I don't expect to see any wheels on those war machines.

D.C.
December 4th, 2004, 04:26 PM
I can't wait for the trailer to be released.

D.C.
December 4th, 2004, 04:45 PM
What does everyone think of the concept art on the official website? Anyone noticed the colour of the logo changing every so often from red to white?

Matt G
December 5th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I wonder if John Williams will reference it in his score.

He'd better do! I'm only just getting used to what they did with BSG!

D.C.
December 5th, 2004, 02:14 PM
The WOTW score is pretty iconic, though. It's probably a given that they'll be using it. That music sums up War of the Worlds for me. :)

D.C.
December 8th, 2004, 03:14 PM
If you're a member of the War of the Worlds newsletter, they sent a message saying that the teaser trailer will be released on the net on the morning of Friday, 10 December.

DownFallAngel
December 8th, 2004, 04:22 PM
http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=6012

JoBlo reported the same thing.

D.C.
December 8th, 2004, 04:23 PM
I'm looking forward to watching the trailer. :)

Lugal
December 9th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Oh God! I hope Tom Cruise isn't going to be doing an English accent!

*Shudders* I hope not.

But not 'original'. It was still a film of the book.

Most people seem to think the original was the Orson Welles broadcast in 1938. Personally I love both. I think any War of the Worlds movie should be a big period piece set in the 1890's, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. :(

D.C.
December 9th, 2004, 09:27 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the new version of the story.

D.C.
December 10th, 2004, 01:38 AM
The teaser trailers been released and it's pretty damn awesome. :)

Nathan
December 10th, 2004, 03:19 AM
If they do the same to War of the Worlds that they did to Time Machine......

D.C.
December 10th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Not likely, It's done by some of the best film makers... ever.

David85
December 10th, 2004, 02:59 PM
He hasn't made that many movies I liked, I hated E.T.

Just saw the teaser trailer and it looks great! Much better than the last (first?) WotW.

D.C.
December 13th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Haha, someone was upset about my post saying... "Hopefully John Williams will reference it in his score..." giving me a bad rep point... I didn't know John Williams is a touchy subject for some people. ;)

D.C.
February 4th, 2005, 09:40 PM
FilmForce is reporting that the War of the Worlds theatrical trailer will be released on Sunday and will be shown during the Superbowl. It's also going to show up online at http://www.apple.com/trailers - It's most likely going to have footage from the movie.

Albion
February 6th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Oh, boo hiss. For a wild, ecstatic moment, I thought they'd finally got the Jeff Wayne WOTW project off the ground after all those years of talking about it. :p

Still, looks like a lot of fun. I'll definitely put it on my to rent on DVD list.

Albion :)

D.C.
February 6th, 2005, 12:22 PM
It's an event movie! You've gotta see it in the cinema. ;) Actually there's another version of WOTW in production as well that is a more faithful retelling of the story.

Osiris-RA
February 6th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Yeah, ain't it cool? The first version was totally unbelivable (that's not a good thing)

I'm not going to see in the theater though, probably. I like to wait till they come out on DVD then rent it. I'll probably do that.

D.C.
February 6th, 2005, 12:45 PM
I'm a massive Spielberg fan, I'll definately be seeing it in the cinema. :D

Osiris-RA
February 6th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I went to Minority Report in theater, but Things just don't look so good from the front seat. I was confused and some bozos came in smelling of beer and they were smoking. I think what I might see in the theater is ... maybe Fantastic Four and maybe War of the Worlds.

I'd love it if they had a remake of Day the Earth Stood Still. I know the perfect Klaatu, the guy who plays Lionel on Smallville.

D.C.
February 6th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Actually I'm a massive Spielberg fan but I realized the last Spielberg movie I saw in the cinema was The Lost Word: Jurassic Park - That's a pretty long time. I missed The Terminal because I thought it was a romantic comedy when it turns out it was just a comedy. :) The movies I can't wait to see in cinema's this year are Star Wars: Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith, War of the Worlds, and King Kong. War of the World looks like it's going to be pretty damn awesome. :)

Mr Prophet
February 6th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I'd love it if they had a remake of Day the Earth Stood Still. I know the perfect Klaatu, the guy who plays Lionel on Smallville.

You can't remake The Day the Earth Stood Still! The perfect Klaatu was Michael Rennie, not John 'The Devil' Glover (cool though he is). It would be like remaking Casablanca!

Which they did, you will recall, and it sucked like nothing on this earth.

Osiris-RA
February 6th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Yeah, King Kong would be pretty cool to see. I liked Minority report when I saw again on cable. I dunno, it just made more sense after the second time.

D.C.
February 6th, 2005, 12:59 PM
I've got Minority Report on DVD. It's a great movie. It takes a little time to get use to the technology of the world, though. But it's pretty awesome. :)

Osiris-RA
February 6th, 2005, 01:05 PM
You can't remake The Day the Earth Stood Still! The perfect Klaatu was Michael Rennie, not John 'The Devil' Glover (cool though he is). It would be like remaking Casablanca!

You got a point ... still, IMO if you got the right writers (good luck with that) not jack up that beautiful last speech, it might sort of ...

Of course, what am I saying. Look what they did to The Time Machine. :eek:

Mr Prophet
February 6th, 2005, 01:17 PM
I've got Minority Report on DVD. It's a great movie. It takes a little time to get use to the technology of the world, though. But it's pretty awesome. :)

Minority Report is good, except that it finishes at least three times. Plus you have to feel sorry for the investigator who has to die of terminal stupidity because Tom Cruise needs to be the hero.

D.C.
February 6th, 2005, 01:20 PM
The guy who got shot by the bad guy? I didn't mind that. I thought it was pretty cool. Minority Report had this really awesome combination of sci-fi and mystery. :)

Mr Prophet
February 6th, 2005, 01:24 PM
The guy who got shot by the bad guy? I didn't mind that. I thought it was pretty cool. Minority Report had this really awesome combination of sci-fi and mystery. :)

Oh come on. The only possible conclusion to the facts he laid out was...He'd seemed pretty with it up until then, but he had a sudden attack of suck of 'SG-1 in Full Circle' proportions.

D.C.
February 6th, 2005, 01:25 PM
You're crazy. :D

Osiris-RA
February 6th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Well, I don't think Tom had to be the "hero", although he does have something of a savior complex in the roles he plays, but I liked Minority Report once i realized what Speilberg was saying. He was trying to convey the whole "innocent until proven guilty thing" except in this horrifying world, people are automatically "guilty before guilty". The whole idea of Pre-crime is really unfashionable and unjust because really, you don't know if the guy is going to do what the PreCogs see he will do. The future isn't really under our control.

The ending was pretty cool, I thought. When we found out that this important guy was himself a criminal it really makes you think about the real world and all the stuff thats happening to people. It was tedious, and i have a slight fear of hights now, but It was cool.

D.C.
February 6th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Hey cool you've got a War of the Worlds picture in your sig. :) I liked how that guy tricked the PreCrime into thinking that his crime was just an echo. I didn't mind that Tom Cruise was the hero. I also liked the fact that his wife was left to help him when he was eventually caught. :)

Osiris-RA
February 6th, 2005, 01:41 PM
I liked that part too. What I really loved was that one scene when the female Precog (i forgot her name, Anne or something?) and Toms character were in the mall escaping from the PreCrime officers and she told him to grab an umbrella, then they left the mall, rain started pouring and he flipped his umbrella up and became just another umbrella in the crowd. That was so cool.

D.C.
February 6th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I think her name was Agatha. That mall sequence was especially cool. I liked it when she told that random person not to go home, they know... Sort of spooky. :) What time do you suppose the new WOTW trailer will be on the net?

Mr Prophet
February 6th, 2005, 01:47 PM
You think her name was...What movie were you watching? The precogs were Agatha, Arthur and Dashiell, of course. What else were they going to be called?

Osiris-RA
February 6th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I think her name was Agatha. That mall sequence was especially cool. I liked it when she told that random person not to go home, they know... Sort of spooky. :) What time do you suppose the new WOTW trailer will be on the net?

I don't really know, I've been checking Yahoo alot. They just have stuff with Tom and Speilburg yakking about meeting each other and the movie. Probably like a week or a few days before it comes out.

D.C.
February 6th, 2005, 01:50 PM
It's suppose to be out today, it's going to be aired during the Superbowl as well. The report I read said that it's going to be at http://www.apple.com/trailers :)

Osiris-RA
February 6th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Cool FF4 trailer. There's a long trailerf or war or the worlds in the official site in my picture link. Have you seen it already?

D.C.
February 6th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Yeah, that's the teaser trailer that was released a couple of months ago. There's a new one with footage and stuff that should be launching sometime soon. :)

Osiris-RA
February 6th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Sweet. I can't wait.

D.C.
February 6th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Yeah, same here. :)

Matt G
February 6th, 2005, 03:43 PM

THey remade Casablanca? Mum would writh her hand in agony!

DownFallAngel
February 6th, 2005, 06:04 PM
DId you guys see the new commercial during the superbowl? It was awesome!

D.C.
February 6th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I'm just about to watch it now: http://www.apple.com/trailers

D.C.
February 6th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Whoa, I can't wait to see this movie! :)

Mr Prophet
February 7th, 2005, 08:06 AM
THey remade Casablanca? Mum would writh her hand in agony!

I'm sorry to say that the Pamela Anderson vehicle Brab Wire was a remake of Casablanca. I believe that the filmmakers were plugged through the heart by the ghost of Bogart.

D.C.
February 7th, 2005, 12:07 PM
You're kidding!

LordAnubis
February 7th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Well Jurassic Park III wasn't as good as the first two, but this ones going to be done like the first two with lots of the same production team. King Kong also comes out next year. That's another one that will be added to the list.

puddlejumper: Heh, Episode III as well. :)
a new King Kong? Man, why remake that one?

LordAnubis
February 7th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Hey cool you've got a War of the Worlds picture in your sig. :) I liked how that guy tricked the PreCrime into thinking that his crime was just an echo. I didn't mind that Tom Cruise was the hero. I also liked the fact that his wife was left to help him when he was eventually caught. :)
DC, do you know if the aliens are "martians" or real aliens in this remake?

D.C.
February 7th, 2005, 12:41 PM
No one knows much about the aliens yet, but in the original teaser trailer they had an image of Earth from space with a red dot in the background... most likely Mars. Peter Jackson said that he wanted to remake King Kong because he loved it when he was a kid and he's noticing the new generations of film fans aren't interested in old movies.

Mr Prophet
February 7th, 2005, 01:21 PM
You're kidding!

I wish.

DC, do you know if the aliens are "martians" or real aliens in this remake?

'Real aliens'? And what, pray tell, would you characterise Martians as if not 'real' aliens? Faux aliens? Mock aliens? Authentic, life-sized, highly-collectable resin replica aliens in a limited edition run (each one signed and numbered)? You youngsters have no respect for the classics. :rolleyes:

LordAnubis
February 7th, 2005, 01:24 PM
No one knows much about the aliens yet, but in the original teaser trailer they had an image of Earth from space with a red dot in the background... most likely Mars. Peter Jackson said that he wanted to remake King Kong because he loved it when he was a kid and he's noticing the new generations of film fans aren't interested in old movies.
you're the same age as me dude. do you like old movies?

How can War of the Worlds have aliens from Mars when we know there is no life there and it's so close to us? Is it a remake of the original or a continuation...like the first war happened and now it's 50 years later and they're back?

D.C.
February 7th, 2005, 01:28 PM
I think it's the old story transplanted to a new setting. Like a retelling. I think it's 'first contact' with aliens. Yeah, we're the same age... I like some old movies, but Peter Jackson's probably right. I wouldn't intentionally go seek out and watch an old black and white movie.

Mr Prophet
February 7th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Bloody kids.

Right; where to start? Firstly, we don't know that there's no life on Mars. Secondly, it's still probable that there was and part of the basic story is that Mars is a dying world. Thirdly, it's a bloody science fiction story about an alien invasion and you have problems with them being from Mars? Is it any more unlikely that they come from Mars than that they were studying our planet from outside the solar system?

But really; come on, man. It's War of the Worlds: They're Martians!

D.C.
February 7th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I agree that it should be Martians, and I think it will be...

LordAnubis
February 7th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Bloody kids.

Right; where to start? Firstly, we don't know that there's no life on Mars. Secondly, it's still probable that there was and part of the basic story is that Mars is a dying world. Thirdly, it's a bloody science fiction story about an alien invasion and you have problems with them being from Mars? Is it any more unlikely that they come from Mars than that they were studying our planet from outside the solar system?

But really; come on, man. It's War of the Worlds: They're Martians!
damn, relax prophet. Dont be hating. I just asked. I think they should be from some other planet, because...well, I dunno...Mars is too close. If they had ships...I dunno, nevermind. Just seems that we could see if there some kind of life activity on the planet; it's not all that far.

DownFallAngel
February 7th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Well, any other planet would be to weird. Mars is closet to Earth in many ways. It's a land mass, it has a hydrogen/oxygen based atmosphere, or at one point it did. And it also seemed to support life.

The other planets, just see to far fetched. Mercury and Venus are boiling land masses of molten lava and metals. Jupiter is a massive gas giant. Saturn is a frozen iceland. Neptune is a frozen gascious planet and Pluto is just Frozen. Also, Pluto entire mass could fit into Earth, like 2.5x, so it wouldn't make sense for them to attack us. And Urans has no atmosphere I think. Don't quote me on Urans.

But your point on travel is a logical factor. Mars is the closet planet to us, and if someone wanted to invade, they would invade the closest planet. So Mars just seems to be a more and more logical choice.

Just the way I see things.

Osiris-RA
February 7th, 2005, 05:13 PM
WOTW TV trailer looks pretty good - though tantalizing short. I can't wait for some in movie clips. I just may be in the theatre for this one.

D.C.
February 7th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I was expecting the TV spot to be longer but I guess they paid millions of dollars for each second during the Superbowl. It was awesome, though. I haven't seen or read the original War of the Worlds so I'm not sure what the invasion 'involves', but I think it can be made plausable that they're from Mars.

Osiris-RA
February 7th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I saw the original. Cheesy and funny, but great re-make material. I actually thought Sky Captain was supposed to be the re-make, but then I saw WOTW trailer and figured, oh another one. I hope Speilburg sharpens it up. It sounds good, anyway.

Xzyl
February 7th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Its not entirely unreasonable for the alien planet of origin to be changed. Thats what was done in the War of the Worlds TV series and it was a continuation of the original movie. Hell they kept changing the name of the planet throughout the series. In the first season the aliens called their homeworld Mortax. After they revamped the series in the second season they changed the name of the planet again to Morthray, and even after that one of the aliens would slip and call their homeworld Morthrye.

But I think that everything that has been shown so far indicates that it they will keep the invaders comming from Mars. It would be fairly easy explain away how they could be from Mars yet have gone undetected by our probes. Simply havving it that they were underground in stasis waiting for their world to recover. It was good enough for the Shadows of B5 (OK technicaly they were just in hiding but still), the Atavus of EFC, and the Silurians of Dr Who so why not the Martians?

LordAnubis
February 7th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Well, any other planet would be to weird. Mars is closet to Earth in many ways. It's a land mass, it has a hydrogen/oxygen based atmosphere, or at one point it did. And it also seemed to support life.

The other planets, just see to far fetched. Mercury and Venus are boiling land masses of molten lava and metals. Jupiter is a massive gas giant. Saturn is a frozen iceland. Neptune is a frozen gascious planet and Pluto is just Frozen. Also, Pluto entire mass could fit into Earth, like 2.5x, so it wouldn't make sense for them to attack us. And Urans has no atmosphere I think. Don't quote me on Urans.

But your point on travel is a logical factor. Mars is the closet planet to us, and if someone wanted to invade, they would invade the closest planet. So Mars just seems to be a more and more logical choice.

Just the way I see things.
Well, you're right, but my point about other planets meant in another solar system. You're right about Mars being so close to Earth. I mean, if you think about it, the Martians wouldn't necessarily have to be that much more advanced than us, just outnumber us and have somewhat more advanced technology. They wouldn't even need hyperspace technology or anything since Mars is so close.

However, if the movie takes place in current times, our technology is such that we should be able to detect some form of life on Mars. We've sent Mars probes, mariner and voyager probes, etc. We have telescopes and would be able to see cities, pollution of some kind, water of some kind, etc. See my point? I jsut think we would have some clues of an advanced culture living on Mars.

They also could be from elsewhere and using Mars as a base of attack.

Just my ideas...dunno.

D.C.
February 7th, 2005, 09:03 PM
They could live really deep under ground. :)

Ancient 1
February 8th, 2005, 12:56 AM
I just saw the trailer for this movie yesterday. It didn't show much, but it caught my interest. I'll have to have another look at that trailer and pay more attention to the beginning of it. I'm sure I must have missed some kind of action sequence...after all, that's what sells these movies.

What movie won't they remake these days?

Mr Prophet
February 8th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Its not entirely unreasonable for the alien planet of origin to be changed. Thats what was done in the War of the Worlds TV series and it was a continuation of the original movie.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the original is a book, not a movie.

It was good enough for the Shadows of B5 (OK technicaly they were just in hiding but still), the Atavus of EFC, and the Silurians of Dr Who so why not the Martians?

It was good enough for the Martians in Dr Who as well.

animoid
February 8th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Which was written in 1898, when no-one knew what could be hidden out there.
I don't know, War of the World without classic Martians - just wouldn't be fun. Some movies are not meant to be discussed rationally. ;)

D.C.
February 8th, 2005, 12:46 PM
The original teaser trailer showed Earth and Mars from space so I think it's likely that they will be martians. :)

Xzyl
February 8th, 2005, 01:06 PM

It was good enough for the Martians in Dr Who as well.

I never said the the original movie was the original material for the story. Since the up coming War of the Worlds movie is a remake of the earlier movie and not a new adaption you can understand my use of the term original; especaily when I was using it in the context of explaining something else that was called War of the Worlds that was neither the book nor the first movie.

Also, there is an up comming tv movie of War of the Worlds that is a more acurate adation of the book (same era and setting) plus an animated version is also in the works. Now by end of the this year there could potentialy be four movies called War of the Worlds (the original, the remake, the TV version, and the animated version) you coud see why I was trying to be specific.

And yes I do know that it is all based on a book by the man genrealy credited as the father of scifi. I even tried to read it when I was a kid but it bored the hell out of me so I gave up by chapter three (I might have better luck now).

For some reason the never seem to have played the Ice Warriors around here so I keep forgeting about them.

D.C.
February 8th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Currently the U.S. release date is June 28 and the Australian release date is June 28. Hopefully it has the same world wide release date. :)

defina91rvc
February 10th, 2005, 01:22 PM
saw the superbowl commercials, it looks awesome! can't wait to see it.

Ancient 1
February 11th, 2005, 01:34 AM
you're the same age as me dude. do you like old movies?

How can War of the Worlds have aliens from Mars when we know there is no life there and it's so close to us? Is it a remake of the original or a continuation...like the first war happened and now it's 50 years later and they're back?
In the original, I believe the launches from mars were actually from underneath the surface of the planet, where it is still suspected that if there is life there, or water, they need to dig a little deeper to find it. So in theory, TPTB, could still make a mars attack work. ;)

defina91rvc
February 11th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Im just hoping that they dont follow the same ending as the book. i dont want to be able to predict it.

D.C.
February 11th, 2005, 10:32 PM
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30383

There's spoilers in here so be careful if you want to go into the movie fully unspoiled. One thing they mentioned was that the aliens aren't martians. :)

LordAnubis
February 11th, 2005, 10:52 PM
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30383

There's spoilers in here so be careful if you want to go into the movie fully unspoiled. One thing they mentioned was that the aliens aren't martians. :)
What did I tell ya? Why don't ya peeps listen to me? :)

animoid
February 12th, 2005, 10:00 AM
*sobs uncontrollably* It just won't be the same!

But I usually tend to boycott movies starring Tom "acting dwarf" Cruise anyway.

D.C.
February 12th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I can't wait for this movie. :D

Mr Prophet
February 12th, 2005, 03:06 PM
What did I tell ya? Why don't ya peeps listen to me? :)

Being correct doesn't make you right. It just means that you live in the same suburb of incredibly stupid and WRONG as Steven Spielberg.

Admittedly, it's a much nicer neighbourhood than my abode; Penury Crescent in the once-desirable district of Moral Victory...

D.C.
February 12th, 2005, 03:12 PM
It's no big deal, though... Even if they were martians I don't think it would be neccessary to go into the aliens origins, instead focusing on the unprepared response to an invasion.

LordAnubis
February 12th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Being correct doesn't make you right. It just means that you live in the same suburb of incredibly stupid and WRONG as Steven Spielberg.

Admittedly, it's a much nicer neighbourhood than my abode; Penury Crescent in the once-desirable district of Moral Victory...
I am truly sorry for offending you, My Lord. I know you are omniscient and all-powerful, whereas I am a mere mortal with the intelligence of a common housefly.

Get off your high-horse, Prophet, and stop throwing around fifty dollar words like you know what they mean. Earlier in this thread, I questioned the logic of having the invaders being from Mars given our current/modern scientific understanding of Mars. Yes, it's sci-fi; yes, it's possible they could have the means of subverting our probes of their planet. It's also possible they could reside underground. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I merely questioned the logic of having them still be from Mars in this remake.

Note, a remake is a not an exact copy of the original; it's merely a remake. Some remakes are equal to the original, some are better, and some are worse. Battlestar Galactica is a remake of the original series. In the original, the Cylons were reptilian organic aliens who, through their own design, evolved into robotic beings. In the remake, they were made by humans and evolved into...well, whatever they are now. Different components being used in a common basic plot. In this case, Speilberg, who is infinitely richer and more creative than you, given your lack of prominence in the literary and cinematic circles of the world, and his incredibly powerful and successful presence in the film industry, chose to alter the original plot, much like the makers of the new Galactica did, and make it more believeable by having the aliens being from another planet that isn't Mars.

How does this change alter the basic underlying plot? Do you understand what the book was about? Do you understand the purpose and intent of the story? It's NOT about Mars; that is a totally irrelevant fact or point. Our planet is invaded by a species from another world who intend to wipe us from existence. Where they are from and why they are here is irrelevant. WHat they look like, who their leader is, what kind of interests rates they have on their homeworld, whether they wear boxers or briefs, or which side of the road they drive on is totally irrelevant. The fact that they are here and kicking our asses is the only thing that is relevant. The fact that they can die is relevant.

So, in short, I would rather live in my suburb of incredibly stupid and WRONG with Mr. Speilberg than live in the exclusive gated community of pretentious self-righteous lunacy that doubles as an intellectual black hole on weekends like others not worthy of mention.

Mr Prophet
February 13th, 2005, 01:31 AM
I am truly sorry for offending you, My Lord. I know you are omniscient and all-powerful, whereas I am a mere mortal with the intelligence of a common housefly.

True. But self-awareness is a good thing.

Get off your high-horse, Prophet, and stop throwing around fifty dollar words like you know what they mean. Earlier in this thread, I questioned the logic of having the invaders being from Mars given our current/modern scientific understanding of Mars. Yes, it's sci-fi; yes, it's possible they could have the means of subverting our probes of their planet. It's also possible they could reside underground. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I merely questioned the logic of having them still be from Mars in this remake.

That's fifty pound words; I get hosed on the exchange rate.

Note, a remake is a not an exact copy of the original; it's merely a remake. Some remakes are equal to the original, some are better, and some are worse. Battlestar Galactica is a remake of the original series. In the original, the Cylons were reptilian organic aliens who, through their own design, evolved into robotic beings. In the remake, they were made by humans and evolved into...well, whatever they are now. Different components being used in a common basic plot. In this case, Speilberg, who is infinitely richer and more creative than you, given your lack of prominence in the literary and cinematic circles of the world, and his incredibly powerful and successful presence in the film industry, chose to alter the original plot, much like the makers of the new Galactica did, and make it more believeable by having the aliens being from another planet that isn't Mars.

In what way is it more believable to have aliens that aren't from Mars? Let me be clear here, I understand why they might want to change some of the details. I understand why they might decide to make the aliens be from somewhere other than Mars, but it does not, in any way, shape or form, make it more believable.

And I shudder to think of anyone holding up the new Battlestar Galactica as an example of a successful remake. It wasn't worse than the original - that woudl be very hard to do - but unless the series really picked up from the mini, it certainly wasn't good.

How does this change alter the basic underlying plot? Do you understand what the book was about? Do you understand the purpose and intent of the story? It's NOT about Mars; that is a totally irrelevant fact or point. Our planet is invaded by a species from another world who intend to wipe us from existence. Where they are from and why they are here is irrelevant. WHat they look like, who their leader is, what kind of interests rates they have on their homeworld, whether they wear boxers or briefs, or which side of the road they drive on is totally irrelevant. The fact that they are here and kicking our asses is the only thing that is relevant. The fact that they can die is relevant.

The fact that they need to come down here is relevant. The fact that their technology, although awesomely superior to our own, is still sufficiently limited to require them to send non-returnable invasion capsules is relevant. The invaders in War of the Worlds are not an army of occupation, but a colonisation force from a dying planet, with the resources to get here and not much more. Their weapons and technology are superior to humanity's, but they have to fight a war on terms we are familiar with. They do not have ships that can park in orbit and blast Earth from the sky with high-precision lasers and they do not have much in the way of medical facilities, apparently.

Their minds are reputedly immeasurably superior to our own, but ultimately what the story was about is the fact that they are as fallible as us. The further away the aliens come from, the more sophisticated and advanced we have to assume their technology to be, the less sense it makes for them to be here and the less believable any denoument will be, except of course if they end with the aliens winning. The trailer seems to have maintained the concept that the aliens have been watching us; that they looked up from their dying world and saw Earth in the heavens above. Now, maybe these aliens sent probes, but did they not take air samples? Soil samples? The occasional probe to see if the locals woudl make good eating? Did they not notice the teeming germs?

Maybe the climax of the film will be changed and it won't be a bug that kills them, but the longer-term the invasion plan has to have been, the harder it will be to swallow any ending which destroys the aliens, be it act of God or act of Cruise.

So, in short, I would rather live in my suburb of incredibly stupid and WRONG with Mr. Speilberg than live in the exclusive gated community of pretentious self-righteous lunacy that doubles as an intellectual black hole on weekends like others not worthy of mention.

Which, if you read my post with the slightest fragment of critical discernment, you might realise was more or less my point. I personally feel, for reasons of tradition as much as those outlined above, that the aliens should be Martians, but I don't make a million bucks a movie. Speilberg does. I accept this.

Spaceminx
February 19th, 2005, 06:26 AM
I've got mixed feelings about this. When I first heard about it I thought it was great as finally we'd have a version that's faithful to the book but no, we get a modernised, Americanised version as bloody usual. The book is wonderful but I don't think this version will be.

Xzyl
February 20th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I've got mixed feelings about this. When I first heard about it I thought it was great as finally we'd have a version that's faithful to the book but no, we get a modernised, Americanised version as bloody usual. The book is wonderful but I don't think this version will be.

You may want to keep a look out for this version instead.

Synopsis of Timothy Hines' H.G Wells' The War of the Worlds
http://www.eveofthewar.com/synopsis2?PHPSESSID=91bb5654cde304456779d1f9104b77a1

Trailer *Warning its a really rough cut of unrealted scenes.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/mpeg/wowteas1-hires.wmv

D.C.
March 18th, 2005, 03:29 PM
The new teaser trailer for War of the Worlds has been released at http://www.apple.com/trailers - It's pretty damn awesome...

TechnoBoY
March 18th, 2005, 08:25 PM
The new teaser is exciting! Wow! I cant wait!

D.C.
March 18th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I'd like to see the trailer on the big screen. I wonder what movie it's attached to?