X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are the windows made of on ships?

Goa'uld Mother ship in hyperspace, a window was blasted with a Zat
    Originally posted by 1x21 Within The Serpents Grasp
    CARTER: "The blast spread across this area like there was glass here. This is a force field of some sort."

TEAL'C: "That is correct. There is no transparent material capable of withstanding this velocity."

CARTER: "Or temporal displacement. Were traveling faster then light right?"

TEAL'C: "That is correct."
    this being said, Carter agrees that no "transparent material" works as a window in hyperspace, so what does earth use to make ship windows? they definately dont use force fields. We have seen power fail more times than i can count and if that happened the field would fail and the ship looses atmosphere.
    What Material Are They Using For Windows??
    MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
    I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Originally posted by corey2002 View Post

this being said, Carter agrees that no "transparent material" works as a window in hyperspace, so what does earth use to make ship windows? they definately dont use force fields. We have seen power fail more times than i can count and if that happened the field would fail and the ship looses atmosphere.
    ive often thought this but i would say its a combination of reinforeced glass and forcefields weve seen glass on the daedalus's window on the bridge but as said it wouldnt stand the pressure on it so a forcefield just infront of the glass would also help stop space debris and provide some slight protection for the bridge in combat.
    if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

I've always thought it was clingfilm

But really, I'm guessing Forcefields. If it's based off Goa'uld Design. Also asumming that the Asgard haven't discovered a transparent material capable of withstanding such pressure (transparent aluminium, anyone? )

Comment

there just regular glass, but you have to shut the blinds in hyperspace.
        sigpic
        Thanks to WingedPegasus and myself for the sigs, and to Myn for the userbar.

Comment

maybe its glass in case the ship loses power, and when the ship has power it uses force fields.

Comment

Teal'C also said that the Goa'uld ships could only go 10x the speed of light or something which was completely bogus.

I am sure the Asgard if not one of the other hundred races we have traded with, developed a transparent material capable of withstanding HS travel.

Remember Asgard ships did not have shields while traveling through HS so they must have had something else.

Comment

You don't need shields in hyperspace. Theres no debris or anything to physically impact or hinder the ship.

Comment

It's double glazing....the only design capable

Comment

Originally posted by Durgia View Post
                  Teal'C also said that the Goa'uld ships could only go 10x the speed of light or something which was completely bogus.
                  Teal'C wouldn't know how fast the speed of light even was. Teal'C was just a Solider not a Scientist. He said that in season 1/2 and didn't really understand the concept of Hyper Space Technology. Leave all that to Carter..........or Mckay

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by corey2002 View Post

99% pure unobtainium, reinforced by nonsensification of the intermolecular absurdic field.
                    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                      99% pure unobtainium, reinforced by nonsensification of the intermolecular absurdic field.
                      unobtanium.... i saw that film funny stuff....

What if the windows are just massive flat cut Diamond..... that or perspex.

Comment

They cant be real glass i think the would have to be some kind of acrilik or something.
                        Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

For anyone saying that its normal glass because there's no debris in hyperspace its also for when in sublight speeds going as fast as they do a single piece of rock will go straight through it and kill the bridge crew and weve seen them not running the shields constantly.

I go with my thought its a perspex glass with a forcefield infront so when the power goes down theyve got reasonable protection (vacuum) and the forcefield to keep out rocks and other anoying space things.
                          if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that it was transparent trinium. I might be wrong though.
                            These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

I would beleive that its the strongest known Earth transparent material, but a force sheild protects the material.

Essentially, a force sheild exists over the "glass" to protect it, but the glass functions in the absence of power for the sheild.

Comment

Working...
                              X