Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does a hyperspace trip take....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long does a hyperspace trip take....

I am writing a new virtual series, called Stargate Discovering Ida, and I need to know how long would a x-305 (more on that later) take to go from Earth to Ida?

And for your knowledge, the x-305 in this series was made sometime in the future (we haven't set any dates yet; this series is very early in development), and it's roughly triple the size of a x-304 (can hold 50 302's) and a good number of people. It's hyperdrive technology is roughly the same as th 304.

So...how long, about, would that trip take? We currently are saying a 3-week journey, but someone brought up thats way to long. So...what do the experts say?

It took Thor two hours while towing the Prometheus.

Comment

It largely depends on the power source.

The Asgard were able to make the trip in what seemed like minutes or possibly small amount of hours.

How long did it take Carter and Teal'c to make the trip in 8x01 ? It would take less time then that since they were in a tripped out goa'uld ship.

here I found the quote:

CARTER: We got the co-ordinates from the Prometheus. Now based on the amount of time it took to get the modified ship from Taonas to Earth, I'm estimating our trip to Othalla from Earth will take roughly ten days. (Daniel comes in.)
      So if a modified cargo ship will take 10 days I would think a 304 with current power could easily beat that. You will have to fanwank a bit here but possibly a day or two max.

With a ZPM it would take a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by pbutter View Post
        It took Thor two hours while towing the Prometheus.
        A 304 would probably take at least 18 days (the time it takes to get to Atlantis from Earth). Earth ships just don't have the power that an Asgard ship can put into their engines.

Comment

Depends on your power source, with our current hyperdrives i would a few days max, dont forget its a much shorter distance from ida to MW the from MW to pegagsus, with a zpm it would be narrowed to a few hours probably
          Perhaps Puff

Comment

Originally posted by nich959 View Post
            Depends on your power source, with our current hyperdrives i would a few days max, dont forget its a much shorter distance from ida to MW the from MW to pegagsus, with a zpm it would be narrowed to a few hours probably
            What lead you to believe that the distance was "much shorter"?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
              What lead you to believe that the distance was "much shorter"?
              Did you not read my above post?

It took a modified cargo ship 10 days, do you really think our ships are slower then a cargo ship? Even one modified could only go so fast.

also the fact it took Thor a few minutes to jump between galaxies on a number of occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by Durgia View Post
                also the fact it took Thor a few minutes to jump between galaxies on a number of occasions.

Yeah but i thin in "reality" this would not be the case, they just made it shorter because of the time frame of a episode. It would prob take a day with a good powersource. But why make a 305 that big, it will need more energy, you can make it smaller but faster, maybe it would make it within a few hours if its small but has the same energy source
                Study the great, they wil enlighten your soul

Comment

Originally posted by Durgia View Post
                  Did you not read my above post?

It took a modified cargo ship 10 days, do you really think our ships are slower then a cargo ship? Even one modified could only go so fast.

Beliskner was powered by four neutrino ion generators that were each at least half the size of Prometheus. Earth has nothing similar except for ZPMs and they're in short supply.

The cargo ship was modified using Ancient knowledge and according to Carter (the foremost expert that I know of), she had no clue how it was done.

The cargo ship is also mostly immaterial since Earth ships use Asgard engine designs and just because Thor and his ships were insanely fast doesn't mean that Earth ships will be as well, unless and until they discover or create a power source analogous to the neutrino ion generators.

Comment

Ships move at Ludicrous plot speed. As in it would take the Daedalus, or Prometheus 18-20 days to reach Atlantis. 3.4 million light years away, but would take 10-14 days to reach the Aries sector where anubis was growing his son. Since a normal stargate can't dial beyond a galaxy without power and help, it had to be within 100,000 light years.

In Atlantis S2x02 (I forget the name) the Daedalus reaches the edge of the Pegasus Galaxy in only 16 days, but takes 2 days to travel the last 50,000 odd light years.

So plot speed is ho fast ships travel in hyperspace.

Comment

Ida is closer to Milkyway than Peagsus.
                      Also, the Odyssey has the latest Asgard updates, i believe that includes the hyperdrives.

Comment

We don't the actual distance. I'd urge you not to make the tech in the hands of your characters too powerful. Pick a number of days or weeks. Unless you count the two small galaxies the MW is currently colliding with (real scientific fact) there are no galaxies this close.

Andromeda is the nearest major galaxy, and it is something like 100M light years.

The two we are in a collision with are much smaller than our own galaxy. I'd pick the one that hasn't been shredded yet.

Or just make one up.

Comment

Pegasus is one of the farthest galaxies from MW actually. I say it takes anyhwere form 3 days to 3 hours. Which means Blista that the nearest inhabited system (SG:I wrighters) would take sminuites even with a severly depleted hyperdive, remember intergalactic distances make interplanetary ones seem irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                            Ships move at Ludicrous plot speed. As in it would take the Daedalus, or Prometheus 18-20 days to reach Atlantis. 3.4 million light years away, but would take 10-14 days to reach the Aries sector where anubis was growing his son. Since a normal stargate can't dial beyond a galaxy without power and help, it had to be within 100,000 light years.

In Atlantis S2x02 (I forget the name) the Daedalus reaches the edge of the Pegasus Galaxy in only 16 days, but takes 2 days to travel the last 50,000 odd light years.

So plot speed is ho fast ships travel in hyperspace.
                            Originally posted by Maedhros_Sea View Post
                            We don't the actual distance. I'd urge you not to make the tech in the hands of your characters too powerful. Pick a number of days or weeks. Unless you count the two small galaxies the MW is currently colliding with (real scientific fact) there are no galaxies this close.

Andromeda is the nearest major galaxy, and it is something like 100M light years.

The two we are in a collision with are much smaller than our own galaxy. I'd pick the one that hasn't been shredded yet.

Or just make one up.
                            Don't worry, the x-305 isn't too powerful, it's just big. OK, so lets review...the Asgar has the fastest hyperdrives we know of, and they can get here in days...that means none of our ships can, correct? So if I were to say that it's roughly 3-4 million light years away, then would, using peragrin's logic, it would take roughly 18-20 days. So, about two weeks and four days.

Sound good to everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
                              Don't worry, the x-305 isn't too powerful, it's just big. OK, so lets review...the Asgar has the fastest hyperdrives we know of, and they can get here in days...that means none of our ships can, correct? So if I were to say that it's roughly 3-4 million light years away, then would, using peragrin's logic, it would take roughly 18-20 days. So, about two weeks and four days.

Sound good to everyone?
                              No, no, their ships take hours, por take days. Asgard hyprdrive of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X