Orbital Stations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orbital Stations

wish they added more stuff onto orbital stations . But dang!!!! The Midway Station... Took like what 5 months or more than a few years to complete it with specs and stuff.

Hope you guys would think of Orbital Stations. Just thought i could point it out that i see more on ship designs, than orbital stations. Hope you guys could think of stuff on Stations, plz do include pics and specs.

Wah?

Comment

I think he may be referring to the Gateworld virtual fleet. If so, its called a 'fleet' for a reason, because its all about ships. Although a station or two probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Either that or he's hoping PTB are reading. In which case, don't hold your breath cos, as they've said before, its their show and they'll do what they like.

Comment

I'm sure if he complained loud enough they might do something.
        Spoiler:
        That's how we got clone Beckett.
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
          I'm sure if he complained loud enough they might do something.
          Spoiler:
          That's how we got clone Beckett.
          No that's not. TPTB had ideas to bring him back since he was killed off. Joe M hinted at it in a spoiler poem about 2 years ago.

Comment

shouldnt this be called the origional orbital station design thread =P

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

well yeah, if they build another Midway (orbital platform) they should make it a little sturdier.

Maybe a few more security measures. (like not having the Macro take you directly to Midway, and the Macro take you directly to earth) how about a Macro that takes you elsewhere before taking you to a major base.

How about a cloak for Midway or weapons. Or an iris for midway that you can only get in if you submit the code remotely.

Plus i'd love to see a Orbital weapons platform for earth that orbits the moon as another line of defense for us all.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonmatel View Post
                well yeah, if they build another Midway (orbital platform) they should make it a little sturdier.

Maybe a few more security measures. (like not having the Macro take you directly to Midway, and the Macro take you directly to earth) how about a Macro that takes you elsewhere before taking you to a major base.

How about a cloak for Midway or weapons. Or an iris for midway that you can only get in if you submit the code remotely.

Plus i'd love to see a Orbital weapons platform for earth that orbits the moon as another line of defense for us all.
                This has been discussed at length in other threads. cloaks, and weapon platforms are useless. Also Midway IS/WAS the somewhere else before taking you to a major base.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                  This has been discussed at length in other threads. cloaks, and weapon platforms are useless. Also Midway IS/WAS the somewhere else before taking you to a major base.
                  Well how about you ADD to this conversation rather than just bring your negativity.
                  Midway was designed because (for the most part) the Milky Way gates are not compatible with the Pegasus Galaxy gates. Had there been an iris at the midway there would not have been an incursion.. I understand for one to tell the story you have to ignore things like this but one would expect common sense in a show such as this.

Weapons platforms useless??? Why??

Comment

Had there been an iris at the midway there would not have been an incursion..
                    The fact that people keep saying that REALLY bugs me.

You can only send an IDC if you're standing at one end of an open wormhole and transmit the code through the wormhole to the other side, where it's detected and opened. The way the macro works is that it forwards a matter stream from gate to gate; NOT signals.

It would be physically impossible - and beyond the capabilities of the gate system - to have an iris on the Midway gates, hence why it was constructed without. Sure, they could physically attach an iris or a shield to the gate, but as soon as the gate activated they would HAVE to open it, else the inbound travellers would "splat" against it. IDCs rely on a real-time communication between traveller and destination; an IDC is broadcast by the team's GDO, it's verified at the destination, and a proceed/do-not-proceed signal is sent back through the gate to the GDO. Only then does the team step through the gate.

Considering how when this magical (and fictional by the nature of the macro) IDC is broadcast by team, they're half a galaxy away in Pegasus/MW; when the signal is received by the Midway station, however, they're currently in the buffer at the previous gate in the chain. If the Midway station received and verified the IDC, and then sent back a proceed signal, there'd be nobody to actually receive the signal on the other end, hence the "splat".

It wasn't an oversight on the part of the producers, but rather a misunderstanding of the technology in the community (ie, you guys here) post-broadcast.

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post

You can only send an IDC if you're standing at one end of an open wormhole and transmit the code through the wormhole to the other side, where it's detected and opened. The way the macro works is that it forwards a matter stream from gate to gate; NOT signals.

It would be physically impossible - and beyond the capabilities of the gate system - to have an iris on the Midway gates, hence why it was constructed without. Sure, they could physically attach an iris or a shield to the gate, but as soon as the gate activated they would HAVE to open it, else the inbound travellers would "splat" against it. IDCs rely on a real-time communication between traveller and destination; an IDC is broadcast by the team's GDO, it's verified at the destination, and a proceed/do-not-proceed signal is sent back through the gate to the GDO. Only then does the team step through the gate.

Considering how when this magical (and fictional by the nature of the macro) IDC is broadcast by team, they're half a galaxy away in Pegasus/MW; when the signal is received by the Midway station, however, they're currently in the buffer at the previous gate in the chain. If the Midway station received and verified the IDC, and then sent back a proceed signal, there'd be nobody to actually receive the signal on the other end, hence the "splat".

It wasn't an oversight on the part of the producers, but rather a misunderstanding of the technology in the community (ie, you guys here) post-broadcast.
                      Okay..
                      We have heard real-time communication between the SGC and Atlantis through the Stargate, and that has been explained (by fans) by sub-space relays stationed between Milky Way and Pegasus. Why couldn't the GDO signal be sent the same way?

Comment

As much as I agree with your post, Anonmetal's not wrong. Had there been an iris on Midway there wouldn't have been an incursion, of course there wouldn't have been any legitimate travellers either because they'd all be dead from crashing into the iris. The only real security blunder they made was having one of the linking gates on a planet, well that and letting Todd somehow have unrestricted access to a computer with sensitive info on it, and all that was manufactured plot elements for the episode. Would it have really been that difficult to have the Wraith take a spacegate aboard a ship and gain access that way? Granted they could have taken better precautions in the event of any intruders, such as having the gate room completely sealed off, only accesible by transporter, or heavily sealed door, and with the ability to vent atmosphere quickly. No need for vulnerable guards, just video surveillance.
                        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

When Midway dialled the SGC, they received an IDC just after the wormhole engaged, so it is not only possible, it is canon that you can use IDCs with the bridge. How it works, I will leave others to ponder over, but it does.

The proceed signal is not really necessary, the travellers just have to ensure that there is enough time between Midway receiving the signal and them coming through to allow the folks at Midway to open the iris. This obviously depends on how the signal is sent.

Failing this, there is no reason why Earth / Atlantis couldn't send a subway signal to Midway, relayed by a couple of subspace relays strategically placed along the way, to tell them they have sent a traveller through and to be expecting them in the next 15 minutes (total travel time from Earth to Atlantis was stated by McKay to be 30 minutes, so roughly 15 minutes each half).

Comment

Well how about you ADD to this conversation rather than just bring your negativity.
                            Midway was designed because (for the most part) the Milky Way gates are not compatible with the Pegasus Galaxy gates. Had there been an iris at the midway there would not have been an incursion.. I understand for one to tell the story you have to ignore things like this but one would expect common sense in a show such as this.

Weapons platforms useless??? Why??
                            what are you going to shoot weapons at? the only ships capable of reaching Miday are the Ori vessel's, and 304's. Cloaking, shields, weapon platforms, all target EXTERNAL threats. Stargate intrusions are explicitly an INTERNAL threat. What are the weapons going to shoot at? the 304 that shows up to retake the base?

If anything one way shields should have been setup inside the elongated gate room. So that defense forces can fire on people walking out of the gate without taking fire themselves. we don't have good anti-personnel point defense systems yet. The railguns are a wee bit to big.

What good is a cloak or external shield, or weapon platforms, when your only threat is by stargate?

Comment

Using subspace transmissions to send the IDC would be inherently insecure since the signal could be intercepted and replicated by the Wraith; the beauty of a GDO is that it's a short-range, low-power directed transmission which is much more difficult to intercept... a whisper, if you will. Subspace communications on the other hand are a long-range, wide angle transmission, more akin to SCREAMING. Much less secure.

Comment

Working...
                              X