Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Stargate Ship Comparison (Shield Centered)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official Stargate Ship Comparison (Shield Centered)

I know that there has been several shield threads but i wish to consolidate them all into one thread. Primarily this would be analyzing the BC 304 shield strength, but other ships are also welcomed. I would first like to say that we should try to keep this friendly and on topic (however much i feel that we probably would deviate). Info will be spoilered for size. I may edit this first post with additional info, and will not change things i have said so that in any future argument i can sway my self correct.
    With that said:

Theoretical Constants:
    • Shields
      • Shields operate in such a way that the energy produced by the generators goes to buffers which then "charge" shields. The charging process takes time and cannot be adequately recharged in battle.
      • Shields operate better when they are more charged rather than diminished. Thus allowing the ship to take damage in the beginning of battle and losing only a few percent charge, while at the end of the battle to lose far more percent charge remaining while taking the same amount of impacts.
      • Color is irrelevant for shields, as shields would be made of plasma rather than lasers. Color of shields indicates the type of atoms that make up the plasma in the shield, and color of light indicates the intensity on the electromagnetic spectrum. Shield density would determine strength and be independent of the EM spectrum.
    • Hyperdrive
      • Engine only creates a subspace field around the ship, brings two points of regular space together (could be close or far), and opens the the hyperspace window.
      • What allows travel while in hyperspace is the same sublight engines that propel the ship in regular space.
    • Weapons
      • As stated in the show the energy weapons used are plasma based, once again since they are not lasers the color indicates nothing about strength.
      • Apparently kinetic energy is not a serious weapon until used with overwhelming mass

Earth:
    • X-303 Prometheus:
      Spoiler:
      • Propulsion:
        • Sublight uses chemical engines
          • Reaches orbit in under 30 seconds
          • Maximum velocity is 110,000 miles per second (61.11% speed of light)
      • Weapons:
        • Rail Guns
          • The model slatted for the Prometheus has an impact velocity is Mach 5. By the looks of it the magazine weighs about 20 kg and it is said to hold 10,000 rounds. Energy by kinetic energy of impact is 2,900 Joules.(The Siege pt 2)
        • Missile launch tubes (unknown number)
      • Shields:
        • Prometheus, Gould shields.
        • Unnatural Selection, Asgard upgraded Gould shields.
        • After Disclosure, Asgard designed shields (Beliskner class?)
        • Avalon, seeming to have had another upgrade through unsure
        • Ethon, Single shot from a Rand/Ori Satellite penetrates shields, grazes the ship and leaves a 50% charge in the shield buffer.
      • Hyperdrive:
        • From Prometheus Unbound
          HARRIMAN: The message is originating just over fifty light years off our designated route. We could be there in ... twenty minutes?
          • 150 light years per hour, or 3600 light years per day.
          • Atlantis to Earth is 3,000,000 light years, a trip to Atlantis would take 833 days = 2 years and 103 Days.

• 304:
      • Pre-Unending upgrades
        Spoiler:
        • Shields
          • 2 Shots from Ori main canon can deplete shields
        • Hyperdrive
          • Sublight travels at .6c. Traveling between Atlantis and Earth took 18 days, with a ZPM 4 days.
        • Weapons
          • Rail Guns
            • Assuming they use the model slatted for the Prometheus the impact velocity is Mach 5. By the looks of it the magazine weighs about 20 kg and it is said to hold 10,000 rounds. Energy by kinetic energy of impact is 2,900 Joules.
            • Apollo has a launch bay for Horizon
              • 6 Mark IX Naquadah enhanced nuclear warheads each on the gigaton range
              • 4 Decoy missles
          • Missiles
            • 24 Launch tubes with 2 missiles each(confirmation needed)

More info coming
      • Odyssey (Unending, ZPM enhanced and actual Asgard Core)
        Spoiler:
        • Shields
          • These numbers come from the first engagement:
            2 impacts ---> 83%
            4 impacts ---> 50%
            5 impacts ---> 28%

From that we can make a graph, and using the graphing formula from algebra II which is y=a(x-h)^2 +k, we can find the equation that should tell us how much shield strength is left after getting hit with a determined number of Ori primary canon fire. The graph gives us 2 major parts we need the x and y axis.
            y axis: 0,100
            x axis: approximately 5.65,0
            Those points give us our variables for a and k, since we don't move the graph to the left or right h=0. It brings us to the final equation of y=-3.132586733(x^2)+100. Where y=remaining shield strength in percent, and x= number of Ori Primary canon fire hitting the shield. The graph is parabolic pointed downwards. Its not extremely accurate, but the best that any one has ever shown, and it appears the shields can withstand a little more right before they go off line. The equation becomes even more complex when multiple hits are taken simultaneously.
            x=2 is off by 4.5, its too high in my equation. If someone wants to tweak it they can.

Bottom line the maximum amounts of hits the upgraded Odyssey (with a ZPM) can take before its shields are depleted are 6 shots from Ori primary canons.

I know the explosion of the planet may have added another variable but for now rule it out.
        • Weapons
          • Asgard Plasma Beams, 4 turrets
        • Hyperdrive
          • Possible increase in speed, but unable to tell

• Odyssey (Ark of Truth, ZPM, Asgard Core, Replicator enhanced)
        Spoiler:
        • Shields
          • We were hit a total of 14 times while replicators were still around, 1 times more before we called 18% shields remaining and 10 times after that. (rate of fire 1 shot per 12.24 seconds (only counting the time shown in the Odyssey, and number of impacts observed).
            • Interpretation one: The entire sequence from the moment the Odyssey went under fire after dropping out of hyperspace untill the AoT was activated and we see the odyssey again was 10 minutes and 8 seconds long
              • Total of 59 shots taken
                • 36 shots taken with replicator enhanced shields.
                • 1 shot taken before 18% charge is called
                • 22 shots taken after 18% called.
                • Realistic
            • Interpretation 2: The entire 10 minute and 8 second sequence but minus the 6 minutes 22 seconds of the plot in Celestis
              • Total of 24 shots taken
                • 14 shots taken with Replicator enhanced shields
                • 1 shots taken before 18% charge is called
                • 10 Shots taken after 18% charge called
                • Highly unlikely
            • Interpretation 3: Same as the previous but the final scene where the AoT is activated ends the fire on the Odyssey.
              • 31 Shots taken
                • 14 shots taken with Replicator enhanced shields
                • 1 shots taken without replicator enhanced shields, and before 18% charge on shield remaining
                • 16 shots taken after 18% charge called
                • Highly unlikely
        • Weapons
          • Surprisingly no weapons fire from the Odyssey the entire movie
        • Hyperdrive
          • Nothing Noticeably different

• Post Unending
        Spoiler:
        • Shields
          • Maybe mixed in with Tao of McKay upgrades, more info coming
        • Weapons
          • Asgard beam weapons
            • Three well placed shots to less enforced places of the hull of a Hive can destroy it, if hitting a more armored spot the damage will be minimal
            • 6 shots to destroy an unshielded Asuran Aurora
          • Rail Guns
            • 2,900 joules per shot
          • Missiles
        • Hyperdrive
          • As far as we know speed is the same

Hives:
    Spoiler:
    • Organic Based
    • Quantity:
      • GRODIN: But we were able to ascertain the existence of twenty-one Wraith hive ships just in our quadrant of the Pegasus galaxy alone.
        SHEPPARD: Twenty-one?!
        GRODIN: And there are indications of far more elsewhere in Pegasus.
        SHEPPARD: How many more?
        GRODIN: Well, there's no way of knowing for sure. Perhaps sixty, or more.
      • Perhaps 64 as a rough estimate.
        • 6 destroyed in Sanctuary by Chaya (need verification)
        • 1 destroyed in Siege pt 1 by Lagrange point satellite
        • 4 destroyed in Siege pt 3 by suicide jumper and Asgard transport beams
        • 2 destroyed in The Hive through civil war
        • 1 destroyed in No Man's Land by drones fired from the Orion
        • 1 destroyed in Misbegotten by another Hive
        • 2 destroyed in The Seer by civil war
        • 1 destroyed in Be All My Sins Remembered by drones
        • 1 destroyed in Spoils of War, crashed into a wraith lab
        • Unknown number in civil war
        • Unknown number in Asuran War.
      • Confirmed 19 destroyed.
    • Shield:
      • None
    • Armor
      • Organic/Metallic Hull with capabilities to regenerate, process can be sped up by providing additional power. (BAMSR)
    • Weapons:
      • Pulse Weapons (blue) with variable size (from size of a standard pulse to pulses the size of the 304)
    • Hyperdrive:
      • Travels in a series of jumps, each 50 light years (Siege pt 3)
      • Upgraded using Lantean Aurora intergalactic Hyperdrive specs (No Man's Land):
        • Requires a 15 hour cool offf period
        • Distance of jumps is 14 hours of 304 hyperspace flight distance.
          • A trip to Earth would require 31 stops, 18.75 days just in rest stops. Almost certainly more than a month in total travel time.
    • Hanger Capacity:
      • Unknown Quantity of Scout Ships
      • Thousands of Darts
        • Maximum velocity of a Dart in an atmosphere is 10,000+ kmph (Siege pt. 3)
        • Assuming a Dart weighs the same as a F18 Hornet (22,317 kg) its maximum impact damage would yield 86.1 billion joules a piece.
    Last edited by 2ndgenerationalteran; 24 March 2008, 02:00 AM. Reason: Adding Hives
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

So you're going to put your idea's of ships comparative abilities down and then debate it?
    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Oh yeah, everthing i have observed in to a compiled list, hataks too if i can.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
        Oh yeah, everthing i have observed in to a compiled list, hataks too if i can.
        Nat's & cool You know that your calculation are irrelevant, because the imagination of the writers are random & they often forget what they wrote in the past, good work, but it's without use.
        The enemy of my enemy it's still my enemy.
        Spoiler:
        Originally posted by Karhedron
        I think the thing with the Quantum mirror and The 6th Race would rather result in a thread like

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't like the Asgard .

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for the Asgard. They were just making it so they could snub their noses at them from several dimensions. They might have been powerful but their lack of respect for our off-world allies is astonishing.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7...3095364gi3.png

Comment

the "writter variable", and the "plot shield constant" may one day be revealed

Comment

[*] Color is irrelevant for shields, as shields would be made of plasma rather than lasers. Color of shields indicates the type of atoms that make up the plasma in the shield, and color of light indicates the intensity on the electromagnetic spectrum.
            I disagree, the color of the shields in stargate, indicates the overall strength of the shield.
            (Ori, Asgard) White, Blue > Orange, Yellow (Goauld)
            For further proof, watch episodes Ethon and Camelot. The Asgard designed Orange shields of the Prometheus fails to withstand a single direct hit from the Ori designed satellite weapon. And in Camelot, we again see, orange shielded Jaffa Hatak's fail to offer protection against the Ori Ship main weapon, while the 304's blue shield withstood several attacks.

If you would like to argue real science, then you are still wrong, there are many different kinds of plasmas, hot, cold with color variations among them.., go ahead knock yourself out. -
            http://www.powerlabs.org/plasmaglobes.htm
            http://www.space.com/businesstechnol...ma_000724.html

Comment

It did withstand the hit, the beam punched through the shields, Marks says shields were at 50% after the first shot. Even with color you equate the shields of Hebridian ships to that of Beliskners, Prometheus, Hataks, the ori satelite and Ancient and Asuran Auroras, while you would put Ori ships, Oniells, 304s, travelers ships and Gould forcefields all at the same bracket. yes some makes sense but overall it doesnt. The writters dont seem like they want Traveler ships to be individualy better defended then their Ancient War ships.

Even the sites you show doesnt help your EM determines strength of plasma. They say
              But don’t expect completely impervious shields anytime soon. Any number of technical issues remains to be solved, not the least of which is exactly how to make cold plasmas dense enough to withstand attack. The ultimate --- protection against projectiles or lasers --- is likely decades away, at best.
              Its not the color intensity its the density.

Comment

50%.. ?, Which battle are you talking about, Ethon or Camelot ?
                In Camelot the Ori beam weapon did not penetrate the shield's, while in Ethon the weapon pierced right through Prometheu's shields.
                About Hebridan shields, yes, it maybe possible but highly unlikely, you see, there are different levels of Orange-Yellow shields- Goauld < Asgard >=<(not sure) Ancient shields (which are contoured, and i think even Anubis's Super Hatak had contoured shilelds).

I gave you two links, read.

Comment

Both, in camelot it didnt penetrate, but ethon it did but both said 50% after 1 shot.

Comment

That's my point. The % of shield drain depends on the buffer and powersource.
                    And the link i gave you is to prove that there are different kind of plasma's with different colors and density.

Comment

Originally posted by pbutter View Post
                      That's my point. The % of shield drain depends on the buffer and powersource.
                      And the link i gave you is to prove that there are different kind of plasma's with different colors and density.
                      If color makes determines the shield strength then does a ha'tak and the satelite from "Ethon" have the same shield strength?

Ethon Satelite

Ha'tak
                      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                      A Face you Can Trust
                      sigpic
                      So whats the worst that could happen?
                      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

No, the shields on the satellite were most likely Ancient level shields, like the one on the Aurora and Anubis's Super Hatak. I say this because the Ancients and the Ori use much of the same technology.

# Missiles

* 30 Launch tubes (confirmation needed)
                        # Weapons

* Asgard Plasma Beams, 4 turrets
                        6 shots to destroy an unshielded Asuran Aurora
                        Just some corrections.
                        There are 24 Hatches, each housing two missiles, on the ventral Surface (VLS launcher), and we have seen the Odyssey launch missiles from the dorsal surface, but it remains to be seen how many or if it was a planatery strike weapon.

The 304's are armed with six Beam weapon turrents, and it takes two shots to destroy a unshielded Aurora.

Comment

Updated, though not fully, but only observable facts from the show added for the Prometheus and Wraith Hive. Feel free to tell me what needs to be edited or things that i forgot to add

Comment

I don't think you can evaluate StarGate Tech like this. I doubt the writers have damage charts over their desks.

In any case, I would think range would matter. So how far apart were they when firing and were the attacks direct? or glancing hits?

Save your energy.

Comment

Working...
                            X