Ancient Fighter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient Fighter?

While watching SGA and seeing how the Puddle jumpers do against the Wraith darts it makes me wonder in that was the Ancients Fighter or did they have a craft designed soully for dogfights with Wraith darts.

What do you think?
    Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
    While watching SGA and seeing how the Puddle jumpers do against the Wraith darts it makes me wonder in that was the Ancients Fighter or did they have a craft designed soully for dogfights with Wraith darts.

What do you think?
    I think that the Puddlejumper was more for transport and exploration than fighter, if it was a fighter then there would probably be an energy weapon of sorts.
    sigpic
    ----DeviantArt----

Comment

I think it was stated somewhere that the Puddle jumpers were just to little in numbers to had been design as side fighters like darts.
      IMO they were the Lanteans equivalent of our cars just transportation device with minimum weapons to defend itself in case of emergency.

sigpic

Comment

not to sound mean but
        The Alterans weren't warriors/fighters/or really soldiers. They didn't have assault rifles, body armor, or combat skills.

They were scientific poets, thinkers, wanders, explorers. they could defend themselves but would be lost on a combat field. A fighter, or heavy weapon ship would simply be beyond their ability to think of. They wouldn't see the point.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
          not to sound mean but
          The Alterans weren't warriors/fighters/or really soldiers. They didn't have assault rifles, body armor, or combat skills.

They were scientific poets, thinkers, wanders, explorers. they could defend themselves but would be lost on a combat field. A fighter, or heavy weapon ship would simply be beyond their ability to think of. They wouldn't see the point.

my thoughts exactly. that is what they seem to be portryed as in the series. all we really see are the big warships.
          sigpic
          Thanks to WingedPegasus and myself for the sigs, and to Myn for the userbar.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
            not to sound mean but

Aurora? "This Mortal Coil"/"Lifeline" ships?
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

PJs are armed transports/gateships. If we get to see the hanger of an Aurora i believe there would be some other fighters, but after the wraith gained overwhelming numbers, individual fighter craft probably would not be much help as they would be far out numbered and for covert strikes probably would be carried out by cloaked PJ rather than a loan bomber. A Lantean fighter pilot was probably a job for suicidal ancients.
              Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

I think they would have had some kind of fighter, not the puddle jumper either because that doesn't have very many drones, and fighters don't usually have a whole pile of extra seats. Also in BAMSR
                Spoiler:
                Larrin tells Sheppard to 'use bay 3' so it seems that the Aurora class had at least 3 docking bays for smaller ships.
                sigpic

Comment

Auroras (or the other types of ships used by the Lanteans) wouldn't require squadrons of fighters, especially not when considering how tactically outwitted the Lanteans were.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Also, the Lantian's sheer ego and arrogance in their technology wouldn't really have allowed them to think that way. Like the Asgard would later become, the Ancients always had their head in the clouds and worked on bigger and better technology to fix their problems.

A fighter craft of any sort would require a paragrim shift in their thinking which we've seen that they were unable to do.
                    sigpic
                    http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

What they probably had was a guy sitting in a chair somewhere be it on a ship or on atlantis and basically remote controlling thousands of fighterish ships with their mind.

Best Stargate quote:
                      Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                      Green is your friend.

Comment

If the Ancients had any kind of fighter it would have been unmanned. If you fight in a war where you have less numbers you don't send out fighters. Its a sure way to get your pilots killed.

Comment

its true that the chair probably would eliminate the need for fighter pilots as that would be a high risk job and would only be a use as anti-air or percision attacks both achieved by the use of drones. Some one probably is going to bring up BAMSR but need i remind them that the Asuran auroras are inferior to the ancient ones and that an ancient mind would be able to control the drones better.
                          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post

What do you think?
                            I Think that they might have had a fighter for dogfights. the jumpers are mainly for covert operations

Comment

They had fighters, they are called drones.
                              Let's face the Ancients weren't exactly the brave, military type, and as seen in the episode "Ephipany", all they did was do yoga all day and copulate.

Comment

Working...
                              X