What a season finale should truly be.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a season finale should truly be.

The more I think about The Last Man, the more I realise how the writers think too much about themselves.

Malozzi said we'd be ripping our hair off when The Last Man ended. All he found for an ending was to collapse a building on top of a team we know will all survive? What kind of suspense is that?

Then tonight I re-watched the last episode of season 3 of Battlestar Galactica. The very last scene, the space combat scene in the nebula. And how the season ends. Now THAT's a HELL of a suspense, that you would literally kill to see the next episode. Whoever saw it knows what I mean and how incredibly intense it was, visually, musically and emotionally. A scene that makes you shiver, tremble and keeps you on the edge of your seat. And nobody's in any danger of dying. Sort of.

So, for TPTB, please learn from much better writers and learn how to end your seasons so the people will beg for the next.

TLM was a good episode, overall. The end was bad, very bad. We know they'll survive, we know they'll find Teyla alive. There is no mystery and no suspense. I keep hoping Atlantis will get better, and it simply doesn't. I stopped caring and I watch it only because Stargate has been one of my passions for 10 years.

It used to be my absolute favorite show, and now I enjoy House more than SG. That's kinda sad. Can't wait for season 4 of BSG, for real sci-fi.

/rant off

Originally posted by Demerzel View Post
    The more I think about The Last Man, the more I realise how the writers think too much about themselves.

Malozzi said we'd be ripping our hair off when The Last Man ended. All he found for an ending was to collapse a building on top of a team we know will all survive? What kind of suspense is that?

Then tonight I re-watched the last episode of season 3 of Battlestar Galactica. The very last scene, the space combat scene in the nebula. And how the season ends. Now THAT's a HELL of a suspense, that you would literally kill to see the next episode. Whoever saw it knows what I mean and how incredibly intense it was, visually, musically and emotionally. A scene that makes you shiver, tremble and keeps you on the edge of your seat. And nobody's in any danger of dying. Sort of.

So, for TPTB, please learn from much better writers and learn how to end your seasons so the people will beg for the next.

TLM was a good episode, overall. The end was bad, very bad. We know they'll survive, we know they'll find Teyla alive. There is no mystery and no suspense. I keep hoping Atlantis will get better, and it simply doesn't. I stopped caring and I watch it only because Stargate has been one of my passions for 10 years.

It used to be my absolute favorite show, and now I enjoy House more than SG. That's kinda sad. Can't wait for season 4 of BSG, for real sci-fi.

/rant off
    Yes....but everyone will likely survive that Galacitica icident, at least at first, I agree, that was suspense, and I agree, the SG actual cliff hanger could have been handled differently, but, TLM was a killer episode, in a great season, for me anyway. I am begging for the season and I am more into gate then I have been in, well, actually, not that long ago.

And......Galactica to me is not Sci-fi, it is a space drama, a character show. There is very little in the way of advanced technologies, beyond the ftl. I am not saying Galactica is bad, it is alright. I greatly prefer gate, and any season of gate. I am merely pointing out that SG and Galactica are two completly different shows. One focuses on drama and story, almost religiously, while the other one has the mix of drama, story, character, action, and Sci-Fi.

Also, yes, they will probably survive this. But when watching a show, for the first time, I personally do not look at it like I am predicting like I know what will happen......I watch it for entertainment....then I consider what will happen next, what the ramifications will be. I go with the flow during the episode, as a result I was satisfied with the cliff hanger, and probably more satisfied with a lot of stuff more then your common fan, or so it seems.

Comment

Do you want them to NOT survive this?

I saw Crossroads. The music was nice, and I'll admit it was pretty crazy and it was a great cliffhanger. But, to do that, they turned 4 of their characters into their enemies, and brought back a character that they killed off 3 episodes ago. For BSG, which is ending after this year, and whose entire goal is to reach Earth and that's it, it made sense.

But, for SGA, which still has many years left (or at least, they're not planning to end it), and which is really an action adventure show with no clear end point, drastic changes like this only suffice to piss off fans even more than they are already. I really don't think you can compare BSG and SGA in this respect.

Comment

I think Battlestar Galactica is a good show. I watch it occasionally and generally enjoy it, but ironically enough, I find the characters a lot less appealing than those in the Stargate franchise, which is supposed to be BA's calling card. But that's just a personal preference, I guess.
        Theoretically spoilerish:
        Spoiler:
        Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Not everyone is gauranteed to survive, especially Major Lorne and his team, someone will die that's for sure...I mean a building collapsed on them!

Comment

Originally posted by Bray View Post
            Not everyone is gauranteed to survive, especially Major Lorne and his team, someone will die that's for sure...I mean a building collapsed on them!
            SGA-1 and Major Lorne will be fine, as

Spoiler:
            Kavan is already in lots of season 5 eps...

The rest of his team will probably be dead, I mean, did we even name them?

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Yeah Lorne will probably survive but I doubt his nameless team will They never stood a chance. Like the guys wearing red in Star Trek!!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post

I saw Crossroads. The music was nice, and I'll admit it was pretty crazy and it was a great cliffhanger. But, to do that, they turned 4 of their characters into their enemies, and brought back a character that they killed off 3 episodes ago. For BSG, which is ending after this year, and whose entire goal is to reach Earth and that's it, it made sense.

But, for SGA, which still has many years left (or at least, they're not planning to end it), and which is really an action adventure show with no clear end point, drastic changes like this only suffice to piss off fans even more than they are already. I really don't think you can compare BSG and SGA in this respect.
                I completely agree with that. Great way of putting it.
                I love BSG, but I don't watch it for my weekly dose of action/sci-fi, because I would be left unsatisfied almost each time.

Comment

I agree with most that has been said.

And what I meant was, of course I want them to survive. But I wish it had been a different kind of cliff hanger. Like, a major story-related revelation, the return of an old foe, or you know, a story twist that doesn't involve a situation to which we already know the solution.

Like some might have realised after some of my posts about the sun going red giant in TLM, I'm an astronomer at heart, and I prefer a good story to a lot of mindless action. That's why I enjoyed how the characters died in the AU in TLM, and also why I now prefer BSG.

They simply don't kill the right characters, in Atlantis. I'm anti-Teyla, so I wouldn't mind if she died. Same for Keller. But why Weir? Did they kill Hammond at the end of SG1 season 3? Landry never quite did as good a job as Hammond, who was an amazing leader, as was Weir. I'll never quite understand that decision, like I will never understand why they'd put weasel man at the head of Atlantis in S5. The writing in S1-2 was better and they had good stories.

It reminds me of when I used to DM D&D games. I would get carried away in my epic and complicated plots, think I was doing great and interesting stuff, and players would lose interest. I'm at this point now, and believe me when I say that I enjoyed many episodes that were called crap, simply because I've been a huge fan of Stargate ever since the movie and the pilots for SG1.

Like I mentionned, TLM was a strong episode, up until the end. That building thing was a weak cliff hanger, one I didn't care for and I wasn't excited or impressed. I mean there is SO many things that could have happened! Imagine how strong Michael is now? Why not a face-to-face with the team, they get their asses kicked by him in an epic fight, and then they get jailed and the S&R team needs to find em before they're experimented upon. That would have been okay, cause simple experiments might have been possible, compared to the whole team dying. See what I mean? And did I mention the CGI for the building was very poor? Collapsed way too fast and in a way you expect a small replica of the building to collapse.

So looking back, even with all its plotholes, Midway was the best episode of the season, followed by BAMSR. Rest, could have done without.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post

If you know BSG well, you'd know that Cylons are not all enemies. Athena is one, and she's one of their most important people. The good Six has helped more than most people in the show as well. Despite being Cylons, I doubt that the Last Four are enemies. But what I meant wasn't that part of the story, it was the whole nebula thing and one of my fav characters coming back after being thought to be dead. Just the music gives me shivers every time I watch the episode.

And nobody knows if Atlantis will have a sixth season. We barely got a fifth and considering the ratings and all, I have my doubts that there will be another season. That the storylines end or not doesn't matter, they shut off SG1 despite being in the middle of a major storyline.

Comment

I guess you did not see episodes like Sunday, Doppleganger, The Kindred Pt 1 and BAMSR. All had surprises in them, now if spoilers were not given all of them would be very suspensful. Sadly posting on a major spoiler forum and watching the promo gives away spoilers. It takes away the suspense and the QUALITY and CREATIVE writing, imo.

As per the Season 3 finale of BSG, it was not a surprise for me since the major spoiler was leaked.

Real SCI FI? Um ok, whatever.
                      sigpic

Comment

And nobody knows if Atlantis will have a sixth season. We barely got a fifth and considering the ratings and all, I have my doubts that there will be another season. That the storylines end or not doesn't matter, they shut off SG1 despite being in the middle of a major storyline.
                        Actually the viewers from last season have at least been maintained for the 2nd half of this season, and there is a very good chance they increased from last year.

Edit to add: The 2nd half is what SCI FI is most concerned with when it comes to the renewal decision, along with the first couple eps of Season 5.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm anti-Teyla, so I wouldn't mind if she died.
                          Can't kill Teyla. She's the girl with the Wraithy powers. I at least hope they'll be increased somewhat in the next season, to have some change. They should just write her better.

Like I mentionned, TLM was a strong episode, up until the end.

And did I mention the CGI for the building was very poor? Collapsed way too fast and in a way you expect a small replica of the building to collapse.
                          The CGI was TERRIBLE! It didn't even look closely like a real building collapsing! No more budget left? They'd better clean it up for the DVD... Not likely, right?

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

They simply don't kill the right characters, in Atlantis.
                            I think they killed exactly the right characters. Weir brought very little to the table and Beckett, while fairly likable, wasn't missed by me in the slightest. So, I don't think it's a "simple" matter at all. For every "Save Elizabeth Weir" fan, I think there's a "I never really liked her" fan.
                            Theoretically spoilerish:
                            Spoiler:
                            Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
                              The CGI was TERRIBLE! It didn't even look closely like a real building collapsing! No more budget left? They'd better clean it up for the DVD... Not likely, right?
                              The collapse was so small looking that I was surprised by the idea that it killed even a single person. I was just expecting them to have to get out of rubble and dust next season, not that anyone would die. On relection, I guess a few redshirts will.

I agree that the end of Crossroads, Part II was more suspenseful and exciting in the extreme than the end of 'The Last Man', but to be charitable, Galactica is aimed towards a definite conclusion and Atlantis is going to at least try to run as long as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X