PDA

View Full Version : S5 weapons upgrade

radiosgalore
March 12th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Had an interesting thought last night. Work the night shift and it came to me why don't they retrofit Atlantis with Asgard weapons as Drones are obviously hard to come by? get rid of the P90s etc and build hand units as well. Both earth ships have them by now and i'm guessing it would be easier to retrofit Atlantis as it uses higher technology that earth. Not quite as in the know as most of you but it's a thought

Bray
March 12th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I guess you could mount some rail gun like laser emplacements like the did in Siege but using asguard beams.

Don't really think the hand weapons would be good though...I much prefer bullets :D and why would they need to have a handheld one? The P90's are doing just fine. :p

radiosgalore
March 12th, 2008, 03:16 AM
I guess you could mount some rail gun like laser emplacements like the did in Siege but using asguard beams.

Don't really think the hand weapons would be good though...I much prefer bullets :D and why would they need to have a handheld one? The P90's are doing just fine. :p

are they? a dozen bullets just to kill a wraith? nah one blast of a handheld beam weapon would kill em just like that

TraK
March 12th, 2008, 03:29 AM
not as cool as hearing p90s fire though

Bray
March 12th, 2008, 03:31 AM
not as cool as hearing p90s fire though

Yeah that's what I was getting at, lasers would be too much like Star Trek phasers.

They good always get more of Ronons laser pistol thingy...that would be an acceptable comprimise :D

I hear Teal'c has already got one on order :tealc:

TraK
March 12th, 2008, 03:50 AM
yeah ronon's gun is one of the cool alien weapons, as well as zats.

The_Carpenter
March 12th, 2008, 05:12 AM
P90s are easier to maintain and have a higher rate of fire than any hand held energy weapon we've seen. Additionally all military personal on Atlantis are already proficient in their use where as a change to a energy based weapon would require more training.

jrd231
March 12th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Here is what I never understood. The Tolan gave Earth the blueprints to create Ion Canons and even though they were skeptical about the motives, they still had the plans.

I don't understand why they don't build Ion Canons and place like 50 of them around Atlantis. They are designed to auto-target ships. They can cut through Gou'ald shields and Wraith Hive Ships don't have shields. Any threats to Atlantis would be eliminated easily.

Bray
March 12th, 2008, 06:03 AM
From what I remember the Tolan Ion Cannons where quite big, how would they get them there? I wouldn't think there are the resources or manufacturing capability in the Pegasus galaxy. You might be able to fit a couple on a 304 but then that would take up the hanger bay space (do they have cargo holds I can't remember) so they would have to sacrifice fighter protection and it would take a lot of trips to get the cannons there.

Also didn't the Goul'd find a way to neutralise the Ion Cannons, how long would it be before the Wraith neutralise them too?

thekillman
March 12th, 2008, 09:30 AM
look, the thing i want most are plasma guns

Bray
March 12th, 2008, 09:35 AM
look, the thing i want most are plasma guns

Will this do?

http://www.kieranyanner.com/covers/PlasmaBug.jpg

GR34
March 12th, 2008, 09:41 AM
=

I think Atlantis all ready has energy weapons, Just like the Ancient war ships had then for Broad side fire. But when Atlantis was first sieged they dident have the power to use them or dident know they existed

Bray
March 12th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I would think that the ancients would have some kind of laser / beam / plasma weapon because only a fool would equip something with weapons that only have a limited supply of ammunition when you have the capability to use weapons that as long as they have a power supply can keep firing.

delrey
March 12th, 2008, 10:05 AM
That is a good point, it does reason that we would be able to rig something up to atlantis as long as the shield lets everything from within it pass outward, it is also different from the aurora shields as it seems to be on all the time in space. Not sure if that would have any effect.

As for a handheld weapon, we have seen unreliable the weapon is. Under the atlantis shield and under a different powersource is another story, but in a handheld weapon it would probably break down so often it would become a liability. And it requires lots of power and a short charge up time. Why spend billions on a handheld when are primative weapons work just as good, and have we ever seen a sg team shoot a wraith in the head with a p90? That might kill them easy.

Also with a beam weapon you may have to shoot a wraith multiple times as well, and theres no reason to beleive we would be able to make a compact version, our compact version of the goauld hyperdrive didnt work right. And with a beam weapon we have already stopped the bleeding of the wraith by cauterizing the wound and stopped the hemoraging hehehe, he just has to heal the hole.

Detox
March 12th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I would think that the ancients would have some kind of laser / beam / plasma weapon because only a fool would equip something with weapons that only have a limited supply of ammunition when you have the capability to use weapons that as long as they have a power supply can keep firing.

Well, Atlantis is just a city. I mean, I don't the ancient planned it with a huge arsenal in mind.

Drones are really powerful, and I bet when Atlantis was built, they probably had an infinite supply of them, hence no worries. Not to mention massive fleets of powerful warships and that entire network of satellites.

Ancients never planned Atlantis's drones and shields to be it's only source of defense. They probably had a defensive system involving the satellites, defensive fleet, drones and maybe other weapons not installed in the city.

On a different note, I believe Atlantis still have the railguns from The Siege/.

Bray
March 13th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Well, Atlantis is just a city. I mean, I don't the ancient planned it with a huge arsenal in mind.

Drones are really powerful, and I bet when Atlantis was built, they probably had an infinite supply of them, hence no worries. Not to mention massive fleets of powerful warships and that entire network of satellites.

Ancients never planned Atlantis's drones and shields to be it's only source of defense. They probably had a defensive system involving the satellites, defensive fleet, drones and maybe other weapons not installed in the city.

On a different note, I believe Atlantis still have the railguns from The Siege/.

I agree that before the Wraith were a threat there would have been no need for them, however with the city under siege from the Wraith and no way of manufacturing them in Atlantis (that we know of) surely energy based weapons would be the only viable way of properly defending Atlantis from darts in particular, I doubt they would be able to have the space for one capable of matching the hive killing power of the satellite but maybe one small enough to destroy Wraith darts and be used as point defence.

jrd231
March 13th, 2008, 07:19 AM
From what I remember the Tolan Ion Cannons where quite big, how would they get them there? I wouldn't think there are the resources or manufacturing capability in the Pegasus galaxy. You might be able to fit a couple on a 304 but then that would take up the hanger bay space (do they have cargo holds I can't remember) so they would have to sacrifice fighter protection and it would take a lot of trips to get the cannons there.

Also didn't the Goul'd find a way to neutralise the Ion Cannons, how long would it be before the Wraith neutralise them too?

The only Gou'ald to neutralize the Ion Cannon's was Anubis, and he did so with more advanced shields he created from ascended/ancient knowledge that he still had/acquired. Had he not had the shield, his ship would have been destroyed. The Wraith, on the other hand, do not have shields, and would be destroyed.

Although it would never happen on the show, logically it could and should. You could load a few of them into a big hull and have the Daedalus tow them to Atlantis. It might take a few months to get a good amount there, but if you have 10 Ion Cannons firing from behind the Atlantis shield, they could take out a good sized Wraith attack. With the way the Wraith are splintered right now, I doubt any one faction could bring enough ships at one time to take down the shield before they were destroyed by the cannons.

Bray
March 13th, 2008, 07:28 AM
The only Gou'ald to neutralize the Ion Cannon's was Anubis, and he did so with more advanced shields he created from ascended/ancient knowledge that he still had/acquired. Had he not had the shield, his ship would have been destroyed. The Wraith, on the other hand, do not have shields, and would be destroyed.

Although it would never happen on the show, logically it could and should. You could load a few of them into a big hull and have the Daedalus tow them to Atlantis. It might take a few months to get a good amount there, but if you have 10 Ion Cannons firing from behind the Atlantis shield, they could take out a good sized Wraith attack. With the way the Wraith are splintered right now, I doubt any one faction could bring enough ships at one time to take down the shield before they were destroyed by the cannons.

That is a very good point, I forgot only Anubis had neutralized them. And the idea of towing them there is quite good. Short of producing some kind of intergalactic transport vessel (which I think they need to keep Atlantis properly supplied incase the gate network for some reason went down then it would be a much more efficiant way of supplying Atlantis.)

Before too long you would be able to put Ion Cannons on human planets to better protect them too, of course they would be pretty useless against any culling via darts through the gate however a space culling could be quite easily thwarted by the destruction of the hive ship.

KiLL3r
March 15th, 2008, 10:57 PM
replace the p90's with scar-l's

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/931/800pxfnscarlstandard237en1.jpg

Jumper_One
March 15th, 2008, 11:01 PM
replace the p90's with scar-l's

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/931/800pxfnscarlstandard237en1.jpg

nah P90's are awesome :D

knowsfords
March 16th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I wonder why they don't retrofit some stripped down versions of those railguns from the 1st season onto the puddlejumpers, drones are a finite resource and aren't really needed.

Also heres to seeing a Mk III Naquida Generator in S5 (considering they get up to Mk XII in 25 years time)

thekillman
March 16th, 2008, 09:40 AM
atlantis upgrades?
1 get an asgard CC. might take a year or so. but you have full control over atlantis.
2beam weapons: place 20 of them. to prevent a TMC scene.
3: asgard point defence sat. the ACC can design it. 3 beam weapons, 3 pulse guns. shield. and cloak ofcourse.
4: asgard powercores. might take a few years.
5: MKIII's developed to power atlantis[as the asgard powercore isnt ready]
6: railguns[automated]
7: handheld plasma gunss[like the x-699]

Invictus
March 16th, 2008, 09:53 AM
atlantis upgrades?
1 get an asgard CC. might take a year or so. but you have full control over atlantis.
2beam weapons: place 20 of them. to prevent a TMC scene.
3: asgard point defence sat. the ACC can design it. 3 beam weapons, 3 pulse guns. shield. and cloak ofcourse.
4: asgard powercores. might take a few years.
5: MKIII's developed to power atlantis[as the asgard powercore isnt ready]
6: railguns[automated]
7: handheld plasma gunss[like the x-699]

Hmmm, cool, but unlikely to put in practice. In this case the Atlantis Expedition wouldn't have anymore problems, if they are attacked. And where will be the adventure left?

StevenCaldwell
March 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM

good idea but that would mean the ships attacking atlantis would have to be in the planets atmosphere, to be used to the maximum potentional, coz we havent seen wether they can be used over a long distance.

but attaching them to the puddle jumper would be very handy in close battle defending the city.

thekillman
March 16th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Hmmm, cool, but unlikely to put in practice. In this case the Atlantis Expedition wouldn't have anymore problems, if they are attacked. And where will be the adventure left?

1 takes more than a year
2: takes half a year
3:each sattelite about a year
4: powercores, a year each
5:mkIII. a year of development. a yeaof prod
6: railguns[automated] a few weeks
7: handheld plasma gunss[like the x-699] a few years

Xaeden
March 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM
The only real issue with this is that the weapons would be less secure then they would be on a spaceship. After all these years of seeing how often a hostile alien force is able to gain a foothold on Atlantis/SGC despite the shield/iris we know by now that it's only a matter of time before it happens again. When that happens they could potentially run off for the beam weapons an in the worst scenario they could figure out how to replicate it so suddenly Earth ships can be taken out with ease and in the best scenario they simply take the ones attached to Atlantis and mount them to ships which exist for taking out 304s and changing the balance of power in Wraith society. This would be just the sort of thing Todd or Michael would want and both are clever enough and have the experience with Atlantis to pull it off. Also, it would make it harder for a 304 to follow through with any plan to retake or destroy the city after an invasion as most enemies can't make use of the drones to defend the city but they can make use of the Asgard plasma beams.

However, an alternative might be to pour all ship building resources into constructing a series of satellites for a given year. Asgard plasma beam weapons could be mounted to it and it could be just big enough so it is capable of shielding itself. In addition to offering better protection to Atlantis it would be a solid form of defense for Earth and any offworld bases to use and doesn't force Earth to depend on the Outpost as much. The only real downside comes when Atlantis wants to hide their existence by cloaking the city, but in that case they could just position some jumpers next to the satellites and extend their cloaks to cover the satellites. Meanwhile, it would give them an excuse to not release another ship as soon so it wouldn't overpower Atlantis.

gopher65
March 16th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Why spend billions on a handheld when are primative weapons work just as good, and have we ever seen a sg team shoot a wraith in the head with a p90? That might kill them easy.
We've never seen them do that and we never will. They aren't allowed. They have a certain violence/sexual scenes rating and if they bump up the gore too much (like headshots, which are considered more gory than body shots for some reason I'll never understand) then they get pushed up to an adult rating level. Then they'd lose viewers.

thekillman
March 17th, 2008, 08:22 AM
headshots make a blood splash.

also, the beam weapons on atlantis would be properly secured, not obvious to find[retractable roofs etc][look out of the window: hey a beam weapon]
shields would protect the buildings containing them. failsafes would prevent them firing on atlantis and 304's. and you cant just reverse engineer them like that. earth makes em through the computer core on the oddy.

about plasma rifles: instruct the computer core on the oddy to make a beam based plasma rifle builder. place it next to a pile of naquahdah and trinium, and here we go!

delrey
March 18th, 2008, 01:55 PM
We've never seen them do that and we never will. They aren't allowed. They have a certain violence/sexual scenes rating and if they bump up the gore too much (like headshots, which are considered more gory than body shots for some reason I'll never understand) then they get pushed up to an adult rating level. Then they'd lose viewers.

In canada that may be true, but cable and sat in the US isnt really controlled like it used to be, very few restrictions, and in canada it seems violence is more offensive than sexuality, and the its the opposite in the US,

kymeric
March 19th, 2008, 07:48 PM
The slow beams seem like a short range weapon. Weve only seen ship 2 ship fire. I think to space from the surface of a planet is too far and it would dissapate/be dodgable

kymeric
March 19th, 2008, 07:55 PM

Lol we saw it in the first episode, sheppard head shot one of the clonedrones. XD

Infinatus
March 19th, 2008, 08:03 PM

Ford shot a Wraith warrior in the back of the head in the season 1 pilot. Wasn't too gory. All we saw was a bunch of blood squirt through the face mask.

Infinatus
March 19th, 2008, 08:08 PM

In The Last Man the Phoenix had trouble taking on just 3 hives even with Asgard weapons. Also, when a single hive was prepared and regenerated it's hull it was able to withstand an attack with Asgard weapons. Asgard tech helps but it doesn't solve the Atlantis expedition's problems by a long shot.

anima
March 19th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I don't think that they need more weapons for their ships but as for the p90 I think a change should be made whether another type of modern weapon or an energy weapon I'd like to see some variety.

Bray
March 20th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I don't think that they need more weapons for their ships but as for the p90 I think a change should be made whether another type of modern weapon or an energy weapon I'd like to see some variety.

And you do in several episodes they use G36 Assault rifles I believe, however the P90 is still used the most...and Ronons pistol :D

talyn2k1
March 20th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Here is what I never understood. The Tolan gave Earth the blueprints to create Ion Canons and even though they were skeptical about the motives, they still had the plans.

I don't understand why they don't build Ion Canons and place like 50 of them around Atlantis. They are designed to auto-target ships. They can cut through Gou'ald shields and Wraith Hive Ships don't have shields. Any threats to Atlantis would be eliminated easily.

This all too common misinterpretation really is one of my pet hates!

The Tollan offered to GIVE US cannons, they did not give us the full plans or even partial plans. What Carter used in her presentation was just a representation of an Ion Cannon used to show how many would be required to defend the entire planet.

No mention was ever made of us receiving the plans, so until PTB contradict that, the canon is that we do not have plans for Ion Cannons.

Can you imagine if we had the Ion Cannons AND the Asgard Beams. Atlantis would never be in any danger again (barring sabotage).

Bray
March 20th, 2008, 06:44 AM
...the canon...

This word has been annoying the hell out of me. Would anyone care to explain why it's being used?

FN-P90
March 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM
nah P90's are awesome :D

Ya P-90's are the best.

anima
March 25th, 2008, 11:45 PM
And you do in several episodes they use G36 Assault rifles I believe, however the P90 is still used the most...and Ronons pistol :D

The G36 is shown on SG-1 but I've never seen it on Atlantis.

Bray
April 1st, 2008, 03:14 AM
The G36 is shown on SG-1 but I've never seen it on Atlantis.

Have you not seen Midway? There are two G36k's used extensivly I believe

FN-P90
April 1st, 2008, 09:16 AM
Have you not seen Midway? There are two G36k's used extensivly I believe

I think theyve started to replace the M-16 with it for the show, but im not sure.

Ripple in Space
April 8th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Had an interesting thought last night. Work the night shift and it came to me why don't they retrofit Atlantis with Asgard weapons as Drones are obviously hard to come by? get rid of the P90s etc and build hand units as well. Both earth ships have them by now and i'm guessing it would be easier to retrofit Atlantis as it uses higher technology that earth. Not quite as in the know as most of you but it's a thought

As Sam demonstrated, P90s are superior in combat over energy weapons.

jenks
April 8th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Well no, not really. She demonstrated that they're superior to staff weapons, that's all.

Ripple in Space
April 8th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Well no, not really. She demonstrated that they're superior to staff weapons, that's all.

Jaffa Staffs and Ori Staffs are essentially the same. Wraith stunners are even worse than Staffs. The little stunners fire slowly and aren't capable of killing. The big ones have the same problem, plus they're uber-bulky.

Bray
April 9th, 2008, 05:38 AM
What about the Ancients energy weapons, they were compact and I think they had the ability to kill.

jenks
April 9th, 2008, 02:42 PM
The energy weapons the Kull warriors used were superior to P90's as well imo.

jonos101
April 10th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Jaffa Staffs and Ori Staffs are essentially the same. Wraith stunners are even worse than Staffs. The little stunners fire slowly and aren't capable of killing. The big ones have the same problem, plus they're uber-bulky.

ok, only gonna say this once. stunners CAN kill. see the atlantis pilot, sheppard kills the wraith keeper with a stunner. also im pretty sure u would die if someone hit u over the head with a stunner pistol enough times. :D

thekillman
April 10th, 2008, 01:55 AM
kull guns were very good. just like ronon's gun. im wondering. where are the portable handheld railguns?

jonos101
April 10th, 2008, 07:41 AM
kull guns were very good. just like ronon's gun. im wondering. where are the portable handheld railguns?

agreed, hand held railguns are kool