Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could A.I. really attain Scientific Progress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could A.I. really attain Scientific Progress?

Think about this: Artificial Intelligence. It has the potential for great intelligence, of course, but can it advance? Maybe not.
    Okay... Why?
    Think about the opposing fields of objective knowledge and subjective thought. Most of us all admire objectivity in scientific thought as unbiased and a good starting point for finding information. But think about the scientific method that everyone should have learned in grade school years. Would science exist without subjectivity?
    The method I am speaking of starts out with a hypothesis--an airy supposition formed in the brain that is only a concept and entirely unproved. Then we try and prove this idea through an objective process.
    So, in science, subjectivity has an important place, and we go from being subjective to objective.
    That being said, A.i. is an objective machine, not truly capable of advancement unless someone gives it subjective stimulus.
    Not much to worry about then in the future world or in the sci-fi (replicators) world?
    If you understand my point, what do you think?
    Things I've learned about the Stargate Universe:
    1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.
    2. Don't shake hands with a Wraith.
    3. Whacko! are the Ori. It's their way or the hot way.

Maybe some sort of neural network computer would do the trick?

Comment

Theoretically, an AI linked up to a massive super computer, given a human way of thinking would enhance development, as it would be capable of processing thoughts at a faster rate than humans, it wouldn't tire and so on.

Would be a better way would to link a human up to a super computer, so the ingenuity is there, just got a better 'ead.

Comment

If we were to create a true A.I then there is no reason why it wouldn't be able to progress the Scientific Method. The problem is that a true A.I is so massively not on the agenda that its hard to really put into words.

Comment

Originally posted by XFire View Post
          Theoretically, an AI linked up to a massive super computer, given a human way of thinking would enhance development, as it would be capable of processing thoughts at a faster rate than humans, it wouldn't tire and so on.

Would be a better way would to link a human up to a super computer, so the ingenuity is there, just got a better 'ead.
          Symbionts, T think that's what their called, from some game. and AI bonded to a human.

Comment

has anyone seen terminator 3 or even I robot

the AI will eventually learn that human kind will be doomed with their current disputes and their current way of life and erradicate us
            sigpic

Comment

In the Terminator series sure the robots can turn against humans because they were designed for war and to kill (bad idea). In I,Robot the robots were program with the 3 laws of robotics which basically prevents them from turning on humans. Even the Ancients were smart enough to put in a base command which prevented the human form replicators from attacking them. Only through Rodney's manipulation of their base code did this feature get messed up. So given proper safeguard I think a AI like the ones we see in I,Robot or even Terminator can safely coexist with humans.

Comment

i dont know, i think its from that game mass effect, they said a full ai is banned because in the course of short time they can learn exponentially. so the fact that they can learn faster than humans is something to be feared, even if we do put a base code preventing them to harm us i think they can somehow get around that with time.

Comment

SKYNET!!!!!

U R terminated....D:

Comment

The only current method we'd have of creating a true A.I. is through an unbelievably complex neural network (either a physical hardware based approach or a virtual software based approach), basically simulating a brain. I really don't get the weird and irrational fear people have of AI systems, say we do manage to emulate a human brain on either a hardware or software level what do we have? A blank slate, and if we model it correctly whilst it would be able to learn it would not be able to learn past its neural network's capacity. Just like we aren't able to learn past our brain's capacity.

I don't think that people get just how freaking hard AI programming is, this fear of a machine suddenly become self aware is at least 50 years premature and even if we do manage to create a self aware machine (through whatever means) the fear of it gaining control of the world and killing everyone is ridiculous.

Comment

Maybe something like Andromeda's AI (2d & hologram).
                      sigpic
                      "We are the Fifth Race. Our role is clear. If there is any hope in preserving the future, it lies with us."
                      Signature made by RJB

Comment

An AI that was capable of learning could easily apply the learning to scientific progress, just think of a scientific problem e.g. big bang.

You start off with the Universe as it is, you also have the speed of light, a measure of the distance to the furthest star and, crucially, the measurements that show that almost every star and galaxy in the universe is moving away. A computer could easily correlate that if something is moving away then it used to be closer, if everything is moving away then everything used to be closer. They will then arrive at 2 scenarios, either everything has always been moving away or a force was applied to make everything move away from us, by measurements and previous understanding they would know that the latter was false and so everything must have always been moving away, hence everything started off moving away, if time is assumed to be infinite in both directions then everything must have started from the same point, the maximum age of the universe must be larger then the size of the universe if nothing can go faster then light.

The scientific method starts with observations that show a relation between two parameters or a limitation on a parameter, from this you fit a law and then test the law to prove it is correct, computers already use the scientific method for many situations

Comment

look, what you need is internet. with it, along with agents[informatiion collecting programs] and programms wich analyse this info, and programms who then steer the other programms, you could easily make an AI, as long as it is programmed to learn and advance

Comment

Originally posted by !Dorentus! View Post
                            Think about this: Artificial Intelligence. It has the potential for great intelligence, of course, but can it advance? Maybe not.
                            Okay... Why?
                            Think about the opposing fields of objective knowledge and subjective thought. Most of us all admire objectivity in scientific thought as unbiased and a good starting point for finding information. But think about the scientific method that everyone should have learned in grade school years. Would science exist without subjectivity?
                            The method I am speaking of starts out with a hypothesis--an airy supposition formed in the brain that is only a concept and entirely unproved. Then we try and prove this idea through an objective process.
                            So, in science, subjectivity has an important place, and we go from being subjective to objective.
                            That being said, A.i. is an objective machine, not truly capable of advancement unless someone gives it subjective stimulus.
                            Not much to worry about then in the future world or in the sci-fi (replicators) world?
                            If you understand my point, what do you think?
                            Just program it to look for new things, and associate elements which don't like like they can be associated at first hand. A good paper on what imagination is about would help, but I'm sure a complex AI will do that. We're nothing more than AI as well, but in meatbags instead of in metal towers.
                            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

then best AI IMO is a group of extremely interacting internet programms

Comment

Working...
                              X