Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me or is Asgard tech not really advanced enough...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just me or is Asgard tech not really advanced enough...

I dont think that Asgard tech is at the level it SHOULD be. Howcome the Belistner (sp) has doors that open when you push a big freaking button on the side of the wall? Howcome the computers are activated by moving around stones? Why bother with screens at all, why not just make use of neural links?

We know that some races use neural links, and with the Asgard intellect (we KNOW they understand how brains work; they transfer consciousness on a daily basis), it should be old hat to attach the brain to a computer.

Why even bother with speech, why not just wire up all the Asgard into a wireless AsgardNet? No more need to confer and waste the few seconds they spend convening!

Why bother???
    [email protected]
    http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
    One nation under dog
    There of which I stand alone
    A face in the crowd
    Unsung, against the mold
    Without a doubt
    Singled out
    The only way I know

The answer to all your questions is so that viewers will be able to understand easily, without tons of explaniation.
    Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
      I dont think that Asgard tech is at the level it SHOULD be. Howcome the Belistner (sp) has doors that open when you push a big freaking button on the side of the wall? Howcome the computers are activated by moving around stones? Why bother with screens at all, why not just make use of neural links?

We know that some races use neural links, and with the Asgard intellect (we KNOW they understand how brains work; they transfer consciousness on a daily basis), it should be old hat to attach the brain to a computer.

Why even bother with speech, why not just wire up all the Asgard into a wireless AsgardNet? No more need to confer and waste the few seconds they spend convening!

Why bother???
      Good point, maybe they do use neural links for the majority of functions.
      I would say it is a good old fashioned hands on feel they crave or that it is dangerous to remove manual controls. There have been occasions when they needed other races like humans to assist them with ship operations etc.
      Genetic Memory Rocks

Comment

No-one said they couldnt have backups in case of a malfunction, so perhaps mechanical controls arent totally passe for them.
        [email protected]

One nation under dog
        A face in the crowd
        Unsung, against the mold
        Without a doubt
        Singled out
        The only way I know

Comment

No-one said they couldnt have backups in case of a malfunction, so perhaps mechanical controls arent totally passe for them.
          Yea If they wanted to have everything automated or controlled by neural link they could do away with hands and transfer their consciousness into a large brain in a jar.

I suppose their hands are a form of mechanical backup as well.
          Genetic Memory Rocks

Comment

Why bother???
            It would make for a pretty boring show just to watch as the Asgard "think."

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
              It would make for a pretty boring show just to watch as the Asgard "think."
              Besides...those glowing Runes look spiffy!

Comment

When Thor does stuff on his little tablet, It doesn't seem like he's doing enough stuff to make whatever it is he's trying to do happen. There may be some neural link technology involved.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                  When Thor does stuff on his little tablet, It doesn't seem like he's doing enough stuff to make whatever it is he's trying to do happen. There may be some neural link technology involved.
                  Hey, if you arms were that skinny and frail- would you want to move them that much?

Comment

yeah i would say its a combo of neural links and hand movments, maybe the like the to touch things, they can hardly move these days they use telports to move anywhere. at most they can only walk a few steps. if they wanted to put their brains into giant robots maybe they could. but then they would be more prone to the replicators, they needs a body and life support the replicators dont wanna eat.

look at humans there are a lot of purists out there how like to do things the old fashion way people write leters instead of email.

we havnb't seen to many other asgaud fly a whole ship by them selfs maybe thor is a purist, he is the supreme commander of the asgaurd fleet whos gunna tell him how to fly his ships?

also the asgaurd might not have advanced very far in the last few hundred years or so depending on how long they have had the cloning problem and been under attack by the replicators. all their scientific efforts would have been pushed toward making new bodies and stopping the replicators.

Comment

No matter how advanced you are, sometimes the simplest way to do something is still the best.

Comment

Still, aside from ships and clones, the majority of Asgard toys seem to fall inside the same range as Tollan stuff!
                        [email protected]

One nation under dog
                        A face in the crowd
                        Unsung, against the mold
                        Without a doubt
                        Singled out
                        The only way I know

Comment

Still, aside from ships and clones, the majority of Asgard toys seem to fall inside the same range as Tollan stuff!
                          It is never stated that they aren't in the same range as the Tollan stuff. Daniel's estimates that the Tollan were only a few hundred years ahead of us is questionable.... he didn't have a lot of data in Enigma.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                            No matter how advanced you are, sometimes the simplest way to do something is still the best.
                            Maybe they had trouble with neural links in the past. All it takes is one off day and some Asgard thinking stray thoughts of violence and it's goodbye to a small, pre-Industrial world.
                            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I agree with JPrime, the Asgard don't look that advanced for a race that has 30.000+ years FTL technology, but imo the Ancients don't look that advanced either.

But what need to take into account is that no new minds are born/brought in the Asgard society, since they clone. This cloning and the lack of new minds will lead to a technological standstill, since always the same people research and there is no new generation of Asgard that might think differently about stuff.
                              Signed,

Gregorius
                              Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                              Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Working...
                              X