Amusing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amusing

Does anyone else find it amusing that, While Mckay has a "holoscreen" in his apartment, but when he goes to the SGC

pic spoiler'd for size
    Spoiler:

They are still using simple mechanical pencils, and use lightswitches, and the big red button right next to it. Or the folders on the table, or the binders that are behind rodney...

Not being critical...just made me chuckle a bit...

Attention to details. ::thumbsup::

Comment

Me too, i was hoping for SGC to be more buffed up but maybe they suffered budget cutbacks in those 25 years.

Another idea, maybe Rodney built that holo-screen for himself but never sold the technology to anyone.

Also no mention at all of Cassandra, doesn't she become part of SGC in the future? i was hoping we'd see a grown up Cassandra stalking the halls or something.

Comment

Unless Lorne got a couple Ph.D degrees and went scientist, he didn't need a highly interactive holographic computer for advanced mathematics and physics theory. I doubt those are cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexein View Post
          Me too, i was hoping for SGC to be more buffed up but maybe they suffered budget cutbacks in those 25 years.

Another idea, maybe Rodney built that holo-screen for himself but never sold the technology to anyone.

Also no mention at all of Cassandra, doesn't she become part of SGC in the future? i was hoping we'd see a grown up Cassandra stalking the halls or something.
          Nah, I think he bought that screen from Tom Cruise when he was forced to auction off the Church of Scientology's estate...Horrible PR disaster...Lots of lawsuits. I won't get into that.
          And the fascist regime of the future is spending all its money on ships to be used to enslave the galaxy. No money for the SGC. That's why Lorne accepted to help Rodney. The budget cut was so drastic that the poor guy wasn't even able to buy himself some waterpaint for a new picture...

Comment

I don't see a problem with the pens. An advanced holoscreen wouldn't get rid of paper anymore than the PC has. Until they make a small, lightless disk that you can carry around in your pocket and allows you to easily read/write on a projectable screen, paper will continue to be more convient. Plus data could still be lost so I get that the military would still want to utilize paper forms of some sort and then just input it into a computer later as a backup. The bottom line is that, there's no more reason for a holoscreen to be in that office than there would be for a computer to be in there today. In fact, Mckay's holoscreen was rather large and bulky compared to even the biggest of PCs.

That said, Lorne's phone did strike me as odd. If you look carefully when Mckay is walking into the doorway you can see Lorne's phone and it's clearly a modern one. In fact, I think it might be the same one that has appeared in various SG episodes, but I have nothing besides my memory to compare it to at the moment.

Comment

I can see the points about the paper backups and all, but you would think, considering the US military has some of the most advanced technology out there, that they would have some cool stuff...but the Lightswitches, Standard 120v AC outlets, and the big red button, kind of made me chuckle.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupopoflungo View Post
                Does anyone else find it amusing that, While Mckay has a "holoscreen" in his apartment, but when he goes to the SGC

pic spoiler'd for size
                Spoiler:

They are still using simple mechanical pencils, and use lightswitches, and the big red button right next to it. Or the folders on the table, or the binders that are behind rodney...

Answer: It's a government funded base. They don't have the funds needed to buy fancy pens and light switches.
                These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupopoflungo View Post

pic spoiler'd for size
                  Spoiler:

why? we'll probably still be using pencils in 25 years. the only odd thing i found was lack of computer..........but then again hammond didn't have a computer so i guess a general doesn't need such things.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

The same reason why I have a quad core PC with 8800GTX while my office still uses a Pentium 4 with CRT monitor.

Personal use != office use.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                      I don't see a problem with the pens. An advanced holoscreen wouldn't get rid of paper anymore than the PC has. Until they make a small, lightless disk that you can carry around in your pocket and allows you to easily read/write on a projectable screen, paper will continue to be more convient. Plus data could still be lost so I get that the military would still want to utilize paper forms of some sort and then just input it into a computer later as a backup. The bottom line is that, there's no more reason for a holoscreen to be in that office than there would be for a computer to be in there today. In fact, Mckay's holoscreen was rather large and bulky compared to even the biggest of PCs.

That said, Lorne's phone did strike me as odd. If you look carefully when Mckay is walking into the doorway you can see Lorne's phone and it's clearly a modern one. In fact, I think it might be the same one that has appeared in various SG episodes, but I have nothing besides my memory to compare it to at the moment.
                      they kind of already have those

PDA comes to mind but i see what you mean lol

Comment

Working...
                      X