PDA

View Full Version : Mk. XII Naquadah Generator

Mardius
March 8th, 2008, 11:16 AM
so ya think the mk XII is the closest (or equivalent) to a ZPM?

Gatz
March 8th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Might be, HoloKay said it could theoretically power the shield

placid
March 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM
well it held up for 48000 years...

RepliVeggie
March 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I doubt it is anywhere near a ZPM. They didn't go from no where near ZPM to near ZPM in 20-25 years.

MathiasE
March 8th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Might be, HoloKay said it could theoretically power the shield

Yes but not while keeping up other systems for those maximum 1000 years while 1 ZPM lasted for ~3333 years keeping up shields and stasis pod. (Before i Sleep)
Granted the Mk XII had already lasted 48.000 years, but who's to say that it was even active during that time? Could've been set to activate the moment the gate went active which means it's just been laying around dormant and not been used at all until Sheppard came trough.

P-90_177
March 8th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I actually found the idea of a Naquadah generator lasting that long to be a bit silly really. It would have been better if they said they had a ZPM powering it.

talyn2k1
March 8th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I actually found the idea of a Naquadah generator lasting that long to be a bit silly really. It would have been better if they said they had a ZPM powering it.

It seemed fairly clear that their withdrawal from Atlantis was controlled and planned, not an emergency effort.
As no one seemingly had any faith in McKay's plan actually working, the silly thing would be if they left a ZPM in Atlantis purely on the off chance that his plan might work and the timeline could be changed.
While it might be plausibly for the main SGA characters to do this, the IOA are nowhere near as long-sighted and would've just thought about the small picture. They never would've agreed to it!

rens14
March 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM
the mark 12 did almost nothing during the 48000 years so it could last really long and the zpms were depleted after 3333 years because they had to hold back an ocean an hundreds of feet deep

MathiasE
March 8th, 2008, 01:45 PM
the mark 12 did almost nothing during the 48000 years so it could last really long and the zpms were depleted after 3333 years because they had to hold back an ocean an hundreds of feet deep

Yeah, the point i was trying to make was that the Mk XII are most likely far from ZPM in power since a ZPM could hold back the ocean for such a long time while the Mk XII wouldnt even be able to keep it up together with just a few other systems for a thousand years.

Mardius
March 8th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Yeah, the point i was trying to make was that the Mk XII are most likely far from ZPM in power since a ZPM could hold back the ocean for such a long time while the Mk XII wouldnt even be able to keep it up together with just a few other systems for a thousand years.

does naquadah even have a half-life?

PG15
March 8th, 2008, 04:49 PM
It better not, or else the Stargates themselves would've vanished ages ago.

FallenAngelII
March 8th, 2008, 04:53 PM
well it held up for 48000 years...
It wasn't constantly draining a large amount of energy, though. Rodney also probably set it on a timer to activate at a certain point in time. I mean, why have it constantly on drain if he knew John was sent roughly 48,000 years into the future? If not, it just laid dormant mostly powering nothing 'til the sensors picked up John arriving.

Myles
March 8th, 2008, 05:14 PM

It could have a half life, it'd just be extremely long. Some atoms have half lifes in the billions of years or more. Others higher in the periodic table are predicted to have half lifes in the billions of years if they have the right amount of neutrons.

Pogo01
March 8th, 2008, 05:48 PM
If the shield was up this whole time wouldn't there still be partial bodies of water left around within the shields? Because we all know the shield is in the shape of a dome.

MathiasE
March 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
If the shield was up this whole time wouldn't there still be partial bodies of water left around within the shields? Because we all know the shield is in the shape of a dome.

As far as we know there wasnt any shield up though.

PG15
March 8th, 2008, 06:16 PM
It could have a half life, it'd just be extremely long. Some atoms have half lifes in the billions of years or more. Others higher in the periodic table are predicted to have half lifes in the billions of years if they have the right amount of neutrons.

True. I misspoke. :o

Lord batchi ball
March 8th, 2008, 09:53 PM
It wasn't running the shields just the Holo program and its systems.

Gate-builder
March 8th, 2008, 10:00 PM
They only activated the shields when Sheppard went into stasis so that there would still be some atmosphere left for when he came out.

Mardius
March 9th, 2008, 12:54 AM

i dont think so, dont the DHDs have a power source in them that feeds the gate?

Devilogic
March 9th, 2008, 03:23 AM
i dont think so, dont the DHDs have a power source in them that feeds the gate?

Yes they do (as far as I can remember), but the Stargate itself is made of naquadah. So if it had any appreciable half-life the gates would have vanished/broken apart in time (which they don't seem to have).

Xaeden
March 9th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Go back a bit earlier in the episode. Mckay said there was not enough power to gate back to Earth, so that clearly shows that it is nowhere near a ZPM. On top of that, Mckay wasn't really even sure it could power the shields at all. He said it theoretically could which suggests that they designed something that they thought could power the shields for a bit, but not something that they thought was anywhere near the level of a ZPM. Also, we don't know that he was refering to keeping the shield over the whole city. He might've been thinking of powering it over just enough to keep Sheppard alive when he said that. It's also likely that a lot of things can power the shield, but the strength suffers. So while a Mark XII might've been able to get the shield up to protect the city from the Sun's heat, it might not have lasted more than a few hits when being fired upon by enemies. The best comparison would be what was said in Echoes. With ZPMs powering the city the Ancients were able to extend the shield to protect most of the planet, but the shield was thinned to the point where it was just powerful enough to protect against the radiation. So for a Mark XII, powering the shields over the entire city might've been the same as 3 ZPMs trying to power the shields over most of the planet.

2ndgenerationalteran
March 9th, 2008, 04:46 PM
its quite odd it can increase stability of the atmosphere around the planet with some help with lantean solar panels through the shields, which would indicate behemoth amounts of power, yet intergalactic gate travel requires more. And the atmosphereic shield lasted like 500-1000 years? Its quite amazing.

sg1adam
March 12th, 2008, 06:25 AM
The MK12 gen would only be on "at the right time", would only have to used for Shep's return, perhaps by sensor activation. When he was in stasis, the shield would be configured around critical areas; gate-room, stasis location, life support generator etc... Plus the solar panels would provide additional power as well. Life support would only be needed as and when necessary.

The_Carpenter
March 12th, 2008, 07:22 AM
its quite odd it can increase stability of the atmosphere around the planet with some help with lantean solar panels through the shields, which would indicate behemoth amounts of power, yet intergalactic gate travel requires more. And the atmosphereic shield lasted like 500-1000 years? Its quite amazing.
Solar panels which are getting a hell of a lot more power due to the sun turning into a Red Giant and about to toast the planet.

2ndgenerationalteran
March 13th, 2008, 04:38 PM
but the additional energy that it provides implies that we should expect the solar pannels doing something for us in the regular time line, atleast providing power for basic primary systems. I was under the impression energy from solar pannels was dependent on light not heat, and the light from a red giant would be less intense.

PG15
March 13th, 2008, 06:36 PM
A red giant is a lot more luminous, so it's actually more intense in terms of just power output.

Though on a photon level, each photon is less powerful since it's redder.

Justin1693
October 29th, 2010, 02:54 PM
The Generator could have been booted up when the gate activated, leaving it dormant all those 48,000 years. But it was conserving power throughout being with Sheppard, hence turning lights on as they walked through hallways, and off again as they left that hallway.