PDA

View Full Version : Stellar drift

Vala_M
March 8th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Wouldn't Sheppard not arrive in Atlantis in the future since there would be major stellar drift after 48000 years? This was not mentioned in the episode so I guess the writers forgot about this problem. According to Sam, stellar drift takes place every few hundred years. This problem at first is why none of the addresses would work that Daniel tried from Abydos. It also means that Sheppard could not go anywhere other than Atlantis even if he could because all of the addresses would have changed.

Vala,

The_Carpenter
March 8th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Wouldn't Sheppard not arrive in Atlantis in the future since there would be major stellar drift after 48000 years? This was not mentioned in the episode so I guess the writers forgot about this problem. According to Sam, stellar drift takes place every few hundred years. This problem at first is why none of the addresses would work that Daniel tried from Abydos. It also means that Sheppard could not go anywhere other than Atlantis even if he could because all of the addresses would have changed.

Vala,
The DHDs take that into account the reason it was a problem at the start of SG-1 was because they didnt have a DHD :)

Gatz
March 8th, 2008, 07:26 AM

Vala,

Plot Hole + Explanation

In Avenger 2.0 it was explained that every X yeard DHDs communicate with each other to send their new coordinates so even if the position doesn't match the stelar coordinates the symbol combination would work, and since earth has to dial "manually" it didn't work. But then Atlantis wouldn't need a new gate address in Lifeline so....

Besides, Sheppard shouldn't have arrived at atlantis at all. According to the original 1969 explanation his matter stream would have slingshot back to whatever planet he originated from

The_Carpenter
March 8th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Besides, Sheppard shouldn't have arrived at atlantis at all. According to the original 1969 explanation his matter stream would have slingshot back to whatever planet he originated from

Depends where the flare originated, as Atlantis picked it up on sensors it most likely originated from new Lantias sun, as such he was sent to Atlantis, that's how I figure it anyway

Gatz
March 8th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Depends where the flare originated, as Atlantis picked it up on sensors it most likely originated from new Lantias sun, as such he was sent to Atlantis, that's how I figure it anyway

According to the explanation it doesn't, Sam said that the gravity from the flare changed the course of the wormhole