Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ownage is complete and total. Asgard beams weak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ownage is complete and total. Asgard beams weak?

It has been a very long time.

2 hits per Hive!

Even after destroying the Ori ships, a few simpletons had doubts.

1) Ownage of Auroras. As if there was any doubt?
    2) Ownage of Hives. If 1 held, obviously by simple deduction, 2 holds.

Entreri signing off for the final time.

Originally posted by Entreri View Post
    It has been a very long time.

2 hits per Hive!

Even after destroying the Ori ships, a few simpletons had doubts.

1) Ownage of Auroras. As if there was any doubt?
    2) Ownage of Hives. If 1 held, obviously by simple deduction, 2 holds.

Entreri signing off for the final time.
    Actually it took 3 hits, to destroy one Hive. The second Hive took minimal damage from a single hit. Not sure what happened there. I guess the 3 hits KO we got was due to well placed shots...or an unlucky shot on the second Hive.
    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

I wouldn't call it ownage. three hives not only did enough damage to take out the beam weapons they also blocked escape routes. So in order to fight 60 or more hives we would need at least 40 capital ships of our own. At current production rates that is at least another 40 years before we can go head to head againist the wraith.

In order to last longer like the odsessy we would need 40 ZPM's as well.

The beams are impressive, but from a combat perspective it is one big gun that can easily be knocked out of service during a firefight.

Comment

i think that the asgard beams are great, but it shows how vulnerable we are without them, just like the ancients without drones. so, pulse weapons as main weapons, beam weapons and drones as secondary, voila perfect 304

Comment

I guess this ep showed that our main weakness is still power-shortage. The asgard beams are great but without a zpm or something similar in strength we're only good one-on-one against hives.

Comment

Our ship did awesome vs the Wraith ships.
            Spoiler:

It took out a fair number of hives using hit and run tactics apparently. It took out a huge ship in 3 hits (basically the same as it took to take down an Aurora)

It was taken out in an ambush. We have seen 304's take more of a beating before from hives, but it took 3 hives to take out 1 of our ships, in an ambush.

Carter was trying to get there first, so obviously she thought it would even the odds if she was doing the ambushing instead.

1 304 = 3 Hives is pretty good I say. (It did take out all 3 with its death blow and many more before that ambush by the sounds of it)

Comment

No, it took 3 hits to destroy Hive. And the Ori beams will do better against the Hives. Much fatter beam and last relatively longer.

Established cannon: 6-7 Hits to take out Ori ship (see Unending, it took 5-6 hits to take out those incredible shields), 3 Hits to take out Hive
              ,2 Hits to take out Aurora, 1 hit to take out Cruiser or Ha'tak.

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
                No, it took 3 hits to destroy Hive. And the Ori beams will do better against the Hives. Much fatter beam and last relatively longer.

Established cannon: 6-7 Hits to take out Ori ship (see Unending, it took 5-6 hits to take out those incredible shields), 3 Hits to take out Hive
                ,2 Hits to take out Aurora, 1 hit to take out Cruiser or Ha'tak.
                Wasn't the Oddy also powered by a zpm in unending though? So really we don't know how many shots it would take for an ori ship without one.

Comment

^Good point.

I am going by the assumption that Earth cannot fine tune the beams enough. They either work at 100% or not at all. A ZPM would dramtically increase shield strength and obvioulsy speed (which is why the Odyssey can take out a fleet of Hives), but not the beam strength.

This time I could well be wrong. But there has to be an energy buffer and this buffer is limited in size=limitation on the beams power and duration.

It could take 12 hits by a regular 304 to take out an Ori ship (with the weaker regular 304 shields, the Ori ship would obviously destroy it well before that).

I wonder if there will be a comment on the show about that...Since we are not going to see a regular 304 take on an Ori ship.

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
                    ^Good point.

I am going by the assumption that Earth cannot fine tune the beams enough. They either work at 100% or not at all. .
                    Since we have no idea how they work that is a big assumption.

Comment

We saw that the Lantean satellite weapon has a buffer which takes time to charge, once it is charged the beam fires. Then it has be charged once again before firing.

Same for the Ori satellite weapon.

Exception is the Asuran satellite weapon. But that was an unique weapon, which also had 'infinite' shields. That weapon was designed so Atlantis would move to another planet, created just to move the plot along, nice work writer's ! =) Apparently not even 1 of these was around Asuras...

It would be interesting to find out more about the Asgard beams on the show.

Comment

Ya but both Ori and Lantean tech is based off the basic Ancient tech stuff. This weapon was Asgard designed so it might not be anything similar to the Ancients weapons. (or it could be almost identical, who's to know? )

I doubt we will ever get much info about the systems, just like we will never hear about the 304's power generators

The rest we will have to leave to speculation and fanwank

Comment

The beams are still confusing me, to be honest. Supposedly it took 3 hits to destroy a hive, yet one hit only did minimal damage to another? The only way I see this possible is if they had already hit the first hive with an attack before we came into the scene.
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

^Nope, you would be wrong.

Look back at BAMSR'd: 1 hit from the beam to the front of Aurora=minimal damage the CGI shows, 2nd hit to the much larger middle section, dissected the Aurora and destroyed it.

The first Aurora the 304s took on would have self destructed after the 2 hits= completely on fire and about to blow up.

There is a set number of beams to kill a ship: Hive, 3 hits, unless under very special circumstance I suppose or plot shield. 1 hit kill to very 'sensitive part' or if the beams only glance the side of the ship.

Even in Unending, they kept it quite constant against the #1 of shots to destory an Ori ship. First ship, 7 shots, second ship was burning badly after 6shots.

2 hits to destroy Aurora. If Aurora had shields 'on' CGI, 1 hit to take out shields, two to destroy it.

Aurora with a ZPM, probably take 4-6 hits, which brings it close to the level of an Ori ship.

Ha'tak=1 Asgard beam, Cruiser=1 Asgard beam, plot shields protected Michael's little Cruiser in Kindred Part II.

Comment

i think you are making the zpm to good, remember a non zpm powered 304 took out around lets estimate 12 hives...thats alot....i believe the zpm only helps the shields and the hyper drive speed...cause it would be stupid of the asgard to make weapons that work way better with zpms knowing zpms are really hard to find.
                              Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
                              Anime signature in spoiler tag
                              Spoiler:
                              Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Working...
                              X