PDA

View Full Version : Older

jasminaGo
March 8th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Shouldn't Sheppard be older when he comes back. He spend around 700 years in stasis. When Weir was in stasis for 10 000 years, she got really, really old. Doesn't it make sence for John to have at least 5-6 years plus on him?

ykickamoocow
March 8th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Shouldn't Sheppard be older when he comes back. He spend around 700 years in stasis. When Weir was in stasis for 10 000 years, she got really, really old. Doesn't it make sence for John to have at least 5-6 years plus on him?

I was thinking the same thing but my only guess is McKay improved the stasis machine to make Sheppard age at a considerably lower rate. Remember he did have alot of time to come up with this plan.

Pharaoh Atem
March 8th, 2008, 04:34 AM

or Just a plot hole

Gatz
March 8th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Yeap, he should.

I guess it's a continuity error the same way the matter stream should have been thrown back to the origin planet when the solar flare ocurred

The_Carpenter
March 8th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Yeap, he should.

I guess it's a continuity error the same way the matter stream should have been thrown back to the origin planet when the solar flare ocurred
I'm guessing that depends on which sun the solar flare origniated at. As this flare occoured on the Atlantis systems sun he went to Atlantis, whilst in 1969 the flare occoured on Earths Sun so they returned to Earth :)

jasminaGo
March 8th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Yeap, he should.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Dr.Mckay
March 8th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Okay. Considering when weir got out, she was about 70-80 years old.
Since she was already 20-30
It would make her age 50-60 years when in stasis for 10,000 years.
10,000/50=200 Years
So she ages by 1 year every 200.
Sheppard was in there for 700 years.
700/200=3.5 Years
He aged 3 years, not alot considering hes only 20 years old.

The_Carpenter
March 8th, 2008, 05:10 AM
10,000/50=200 Years
700/200=3.5 Years
Sheppard only 20 years old :eek: mid thirty's by this point I'd say maybe 40

Gatz
March 8th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I agree with the fact that he would be just a few years older, but his hair should be longer

reddevil18
March 8th, 2008, 05:15 AM
I agree with the fact that he would be just a few years older, but his hair should be longer

And his nails. Maybe he stopped at a salon on the way to Atlantis? ;)
Most likely, they just improved the stasis pods.

melfan
March 8th, 2008, 05:18 AM

For one thing, the stasis chamber we see in The Last Man looks very different from the one we saw in Before I Sleep.
Maybe this one don't make you any older.

jasminaGo
March 8th, 2008, 05:20 AM
10,000/50=200 Years
700/200=3.5 Years

There is one problem with that theory. Sheppard is much older then 20. He was over 20 when he finished at the Academy. Not to mention that he was in the Gulf war. And it also takes time to get to the rank of Lt.Colonel. So he's more like 35-40 years old now.

Gatz
March 8th, 2008, 05:27 AM
And his nails. Maybe he stopped at a salon on the way to Atlantis? ;)
Most likely, they just improved the stasis pods.

I think they just forgot (or hope that we did) about that. Mistakes like this happen constantly.

I know a lot of people get angry when someone says something like this, but the writers and producers are human, I think that if they don't mention things, it's their mistake

KindlyKeller
March 8th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I think if we're going to get down into the weeds about things like this (which is fun to do on here, as we know!), we should also note how McKay's hairline froze at around age 45.

Regarding the stasis, I got the impression that her chamber was ill-powered, but maybe I'm wrong.

The_Carpenter
March 8th, 2008, 05:37 AM
I think if we're going to get down into the weeds about things like this (which is fun to do on here, as we know!), we should also note how McKay's hairline froze at around age 45.

Ahhh they obviously found some Alien medicine which stimulates hair growth at some point ;).

jds1982
March 8th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Not to mention that he was in the Gulf war.

Was he? I know he was in Afghanistan, but when have they said he was in the Gulf War?

jasminaGo
March 8th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Was he? I know he was in Afghanistan, but when have they said he was in the Gulf War?

My bad. But he's still around Carter's age and she was in the Gulf so maybe he was there too.

Tibit
March 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Are we all forgetting the stasis pod that froze the ancient and that SG-1 found in Antartica? She hadn't aged a minute in wayyyyy longer. I'm thinking Sheppard was frozen in the same way and that Weir's stasis was more like the pods that don't freeze, like the ones the people on the ancient ship were in.

KindlyKeller
March 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Well, I figure Shep's about 37 maybe. If he'd aged a couple years, as some have said above, the odds are good that no one would notice. The drop-off from 37 to 39 or 40 isn't that noticeable (except maybe to the person who's doing the aging!).

jasminaGo
March 8th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Are we all forgetting the stasis pod that froze the ancient and that SG-1 found in Antartica? She hadn't aged a minute in wayyyyy longer. I'm thinking Sheppard was frozen in the same way and that Weir's stasis was more like the pods that don't freeze, like the ones the people on the ancient ship were in.

But she wasn't in a stasis pod. She was directly into the ice. And it was a miracle she was alive.

jckfan55
March 8th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Sheppard just naturally looks younger than his age. ;)
I think a common mistake to show aging is to overdo it, actually.
That goes for makeup and acting very often. I thought it was done better by DH than the actor who plays Lorne.

SP90
March 8th, 2008, 03:01 PM
He should have looked different. I was under the assumption that the stasis pod ages you 1 year for every 100. Weir was in her late 30s to early 40s when she got to Atlantis. In Before I Sleep the alternate Weir looked at least 100 if not more. So by that standard Sheppard should have aged 7-10 years depending on how long he was in that pod. Plus his hair should have really grown out in that time. When he got back he should have looked like Merlin minus the gray. Imagine not shaving for 7-10 years? I think it was just a fluke on the writer's part.

In Frozen that Ancient lady was actually frozen in ice so that completely stopped the aging process. She was only able to revive because she had advance healing abilities which is probably due to her advanced evolutionary state. If Rodney modded Sheppard's pod to actually freeze him like that then he should be dead. John may have the ATA gene but he doesn't have any of the fancy healing abilities of the Ancients.