PDA

View Full Version : The Phoneix

Cap.Dylan Hunt
March 8th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Alright, i know that there have been pointless disscussions all of GW of the bc-304 class ship, The Phoneix, That we saw last night.

So my question is, We know that carter used it to destroy the three hives some where down the road. So, will the Pnoneix ever really be a real ship, and will it ever be used in the same way Carter used it before she died?

reddevil18
March 8th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Well, the events with Carter sacrifing herself take place a few months after Sheppard disappears. The ship was not yet finished, but obviously they'd been working on it for a while. So, it's safe to assume that, during the present timeline of TLM, the Phoenix is in a shipyard somewhere, being built. We'll see it sooner or later. Maybe around mid-season 5...Though, I doubt its fate will be the same.

Cap.Dylan Hunt
March 8th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Well, the events with Carter sacrifing herself take place a few months after Sheppard disappears. The ship was not yet finished, but obviously they'd been working on it for a while. So, it's safe to assume that, during the present timeline of TLM, the Phoenix is in a shipyard somewhere, being built. We'll see it sooner or later. Maybe around mid-season 5...Though, I doubt its fate will be the same.

Yea. Carter went down with her ship like most captians from space shows have. Dylan almost went down with Andromeda, Pendergast went down with the promethes i believe, and carter went down with her ship.

I still cant believe the way Ronon died. I figured he would sacrifice himself somepart in the ep( i figured everybody except McKay would sacrifice thems selfs in the line of duty) i just did, well expect him to go like that.:ronan:

reddevil18
March 8th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I loved how he went down. With a smile on his face, alongside Todd. I think he could actually grow to respect and even like Todd. They sure make one hell of a team. God, I hope we see more of that in season 5! I love Todd!

Esquin
March 8th, 2008, 03:08 AM
You jsut sparked me to ask something. Did the end of Andromeda even make sense? I remember there was a final episode and something happened but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Just that...

Some massive Neitchian(sp?) fleet appeared out of absolutly no where and tried to blow stuff up. I mean seriously it was just weird! And Random!

You know what, there is no season 5 of Andromeda. It ends at season 4, or whatever one was right before the last one.

But back on topic. ummm...... oh right the Phoneix, it's probably in a shipyard being built so i'd say it'll show itself at the mid season 2 parter next season.

Gatz
March 8th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I gotta say I'm a Sam Lover, but after how the writers used her this season... WAY TO GO SAM!

The whole scene was great, although the fact that she beamed everybody and stay seemed forced.

The music was simpy... whoa!

And I'm hoping that the name Phoenix had a meaning, that she'll raise from it's ashes, and the she'll be built after all.

jasminaGo
March 8th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I gotta say I'm a Sam Lover, but after how the writers used her this season... WAY TO GO SAM!

The whole scene was great, although the fact that she beamed everybody and stay seemed forced.

The music was simpy... whoa!

And I'm hoping that the name Phoenix had a meaning, that she'll raise from it's ashes, and the she'll be built after all.

I agree with that statement.

And the writers are known for putting double meanings into events and names, so Phoenix was definitely chosen on purpose.

Chevron Zero
March 8th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Plus giving Sam the Phoenix makes for a handy exit from her duties in Atlantis while leaving room for appearances next season.

reddevil18
March 8th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Plus giving Sam the Phoenix makes for a handy exit from her duties in Atlantis while leaving room for appearances next season.
Except for the fact that it would essentially be a demotion. I don't like that. She should leave for something important on Earth, not take command of a ship.

jasminaGo
March 8th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Except for the fact that it would essentially be a demotion. I don't like that. She should leave for something important on Earth, not take command of a ship.

But it was Sam's choise, she wasn't removed. She could do a better job as a commander of the Phoenix, then as commander of Atlantis. Especially if the IOA keep messing with how she runs the base. And being on the Phoenix is a lot better then going back on Earth to be Mitchell's 2IC in a 5 men team.

reddevil18
March 8th, 2008, 06:07 AM
But it was Sam's choise, she wasn't removed. She could do a better job as a commander of the Phoenix, then as commander of Atlantis. Especially if the IOA keep messing with how she runs the base. And being on the Phoenix is a lot better then going back on Earth to be Mitchell's 2IC in a 5 men team.
Chosen or not, it's still a step backwards. And she was still commander of Atlantis. Lorne was in charge only while she was on the ship. It was only after she died that Woolsey came on board. And I said she should go back to Earth for something important, like taking command of the SGC or something big like that. Or maybe Jack's retiring...;)

naonak77
March 8th, 2008, 06:29 AM
I loved how he went down. With a smile on his face, alongside Todd. I think he could actually grow to respect and even like Todd. They sure make one hell of a team. God, I hope we see more of that in season 5! I love Todd!
Todd the friendly wraith!

reddevil18
March 8th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Todd the friendly wraith!

Well, not exactly. I still want him to be snarky and kill people, just not our guys. ;)

McSwift
March 8th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Back to the Phoenix people!!!

There are a few things that I felt was odd about the Phoenix:

1) New Asgard Upgrades?
- What upgrades? Seriously, what upgrades?
- I would have liked to see newer shield technologies or cloaking tech

2) Missiles?
- Why were the missles not nukes???? 1 nuke should have crippled a Hive
- Why launch only 4-5 missles?

3) Beam weapons?
- 1 shot of the beam weapon on a Hive ship did minimal damage? Wtf!!
- 1 shot against an aurora pretty much could blow them out.

4) Railguns?
- Shouldn't they be firiing too?

Like seriously, whats with all the new upgrades?

reddevil18
March 8th, 2008, 07:02 AM

1) New Asgard Upgrades?
- I would have liked to see newer shield technologies or cloaking techNot sure, but the shields were certainly holding...

2) Missiles?
- Why launch only 4-5 missles?If you pay attention, the missiles actually explode before making contact. Don't know why that is, though...I think only one missile actually hit the hive. And maybe that's all the missiles they had...

3) Beam weapons?
- 1 shot against an aurora pretty much could blow them out.Yeah, that was kinda annoying, especially since the other hive was oblitarated with like 3 shots.

4) Railguns?
- Shouldn't they be firiing too?Maybe those were off-line as well.

Like seriously, whats with all the new upgrades?[/QUOTE]

Vala_M
March 8th, 2008, 07:12 AM

1) New Asgard Upgrades?

2) Missiles?

3) Beam weapons?

4) Railguns?

1. I guess like the difference between the Daedalus and the Prometheus, the [advanced] Asgard technology was added from the beginning.

2. Why launch them all at once? Plus, I'm pretty sure once a missile is fired, the tube needs to be reloaded and it would be bad to be out of ready missiles

3. A hive is several miles long, it should be no surprise that it takes minimal damage from a single shot.

4. Railguns never were that effective, maybe they finally learned that

Vala,

McSwift
March 8th, 2008, 07:27 AM
1. I guess like the difference between the Daedalus and the Prometheus, the [advanced] Asgard technology was added from the beginning.

2. Why launch them all at once? Plus, I'm pretty sure once a missile is fired, the tube needs to be reloaded and it would be bad to be out of ready missiles

3. A hive is several miles long, it should be no surprise that it takes minimal damage from a single shot.

4. Railguns never were that effective, maybe they finally learned that

Vala,

Well. There are two things that I wanted to mention to both the members above this post.

1) Remember in the Season Preimeir 3x01 when one single nuke hit a hive, the explosion rippled blue and spread all over the ship. Now this is just an explosion, similar to a missle from an F302 (3x01 when Shep hits a missle into the hyperdrive generator).

2) Launching missles all at once was probably the only last few things they can do. I'm sure that Sam would have known at that point that they're not going to survive much longer. Why not just throw everything they had at them. If they were lucky, they could have reloaded and got outta there.

3) How about those damn Hyperdrives? Couldn't it be jettisened like in Prometheus? It would occur to me that if a Hyperdrive would go critical, you would want to jetty that drive and get the hell out of there.

Gatz
March 8th, 2008, 07:33 AM
The thing that pisses me off most is that it has never been explained is how having the shields hit causes the hyperdrive or the weapons to go offline (or explosions that only blast people away).

I mean, from a designing point of view critical systems should be completely isolated from each other, having its own power source, and the only link should be the possibility to transfer power from eatch other if needed.

Celleye
March 8th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Yeah, i think the ship is getting constructed at the moment. BUT, i doubt they are planning to give it to Samantha.

gkyun
March 8th, 2008, 07:47 AM
And here I thought the Pheonix would be a new class of battleship with the whole Asgard knowledge base we've acquired...

Gatz
March 8th, 2008, 07:51 AM
And here I thought the Pheonix would be a new class of battleship with the whole Asgard knowledge base we've acquired...

Yeah... probably some day we'll find out that someone (probably Lee) spilled coffee over the only compute holding that knowledge

Durgia
March 8th, 2008, 07:52 AM
They were abandoning the ship so I doubt they took time to reload the missile tubes.

As for railguns: Do you really think they would have helped or are you just trying to find something to complain about?

McSwift
March 8th, 2008, 07:56 AM
They were abandoning the ship so I doubt they took time to reload the missile tubes.

As for railguns: Do you really think they would have helped or are you just trying to find something to complain about?

Let me give you an example:

You are in a fight in which you cannot get out of. The three butched guys beat the crap out of you. You have a knife, but one of the guys kick the knife away from you. (Knife = Beam Weapons)

You only have a stick and your hands to defend yourself. You decide to swing the stick at the other guys, but it wasn't effective. (Stick = Missiles)

You don't have your stick anymore, because those guys grabbed it out of your hands and threw it away too (Stick throwing = no more missiles being fired).

What the hell do you do?

In your case, you would give up.

In my case, if I was in that situation, I would use my fists if it came down to it. (Fists = Railguns)

*snip*

JSPuddlejumper
March 8th, 2008, 08:55 AM
We know a 304 can take out 1 Hive easy, 2 Hives with some trouble.

3 Hives with an ambush scenario (ambush by the 304)...

The beams take a lot of power, with a better power source the 304s will be almost unstoppable.

Odyssey should be able to handle 8-12 Hives at once.

At most there are probably about 20 Hives left in Pegasus after Wraith infighting. The entire fleet of 304s can take care of them.

March 8th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Not exactly. In the Battle of Asuras, we see an unshielded Aurora take at least one shot without being destroyed. In that particular case, a second shot was enough to destroy it, but its shields were already down at that point. The first Aurora that was ambushed by the Daedalus and Apollo in BAMSR took several before it broke up. It had just exited hyperspace, so it's possible the shields weren't up yet (ships in Stargate can't have shields while in hyperspace).

Hypochondriac
March 8th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Shouldn't the Sensors have detected those hive ships before they emerged from hyperspace?

jasminaGo
March 8th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Shouldn't the Sensors have detected those hive ships before they emerged from hyperspace?

Sensors don't work in hyperspace, just like the shields

Cap.Dylan Hunt
March 8th, 2008, 01:03 PM
You jsut sparked me to ask something. Did the end of Andromeda even make sense? I remember there was a final episode and something happened but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Just that...

Some massive Neitchian(sp?) fleet appeared out of absolutly no where and tried to blow stuff up. I mean seriously it was just weird! And Random!

You know what, there is no season 5 of Andromeda. It ends at season 4, or whatever one was right before the last one.

But back on topic. ummm...... oh right the Phoneix, it's probably in a shipyard being built so i'd say it'll show itself at the mid season 2 parter next season.

Dylan escapes Seffra and returns to the known worlds, and finds the World Ship crippled and on its way. Dylan is returned to dutie and the Corroupt Common wealth is put down. The entire Nitchian fleet came around earth and destroyed it. Andromeda lead the fleet back to Seffra and used trances sun to destroy the fleet and the obyss. The route of ages turned into a slipstream route and the Common Wealth fleet was able to return to Tarn Vedra. Ive never actullay seen the end, but ive read about it. It makes sense right now..

JSPuddlejumper
March 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Aurora minus ZPM: 1 shot to take out shields, 2nd shot destroys.

Aurora with ZPM: probably will take 4-6 shots to destroy. 4 shots take out shields, 1-2 to destroy.

Ori ship takes 7 to destroy (5 takes out shields, 2 shots to destroy), the ship is over 3000 meters.

Hive: 3 shots to destroy.

Crusier: 1 shot to destroy.

Ha'tak: 1 shot to destroy.

SP90
March 8th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Hive ships are VERY big and if the beam weapons don't hit anything critical like power generators or weapon ports the chances are it won't do much damage. Plus you have to realize the Hive is not going to stand still for you.

The ship thats going to be the Phoenix is probably under construction right now in SG universe. What surprised me the most was how fast those missiles flew. Maybe the Hives were just closer than normal but those missiles sure moved fast. Plus no darts got in the way this time. Those Hives probably figured they had the element of surprise on their side so they don't need it. Also it looks like those missiles actually made it inside the ship before detonating so most of the explosion was probably contained inside the ship. Also the warhead could have been some sort of shaped charge which would direct most of the explosive energy inward.

No engine core jettison is a bad idea. :(

JohnRico
March 8th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Who wants to bet that Daniel will get to Atlantis via The Phoenix in his two parter episode

xSFx
March 8th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I'm guessin' the name was chosen by the writers specifically for this episode:

The Phoenix was the bird of fire that comes back to life from it's own ash.

Detox
March 8th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Chosen or not, it's still a step backwards. And she was still commander of Atlantis. Lorne was in charge only while she was on the ship. It was only after she died that Woolsey came on board. And I said she should go back to Earth for something important, like taking command of the SGC or something big like that. Or maybe Jack's retiring...;)

It depends. I think for Sam, it would be a step in the right direction, cause she would much rather be out there and actually doing something than sitting around handling administrative work.

FN-P90
March 8th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I'm guessin' the name was chosen by the writers specifically for this episode:

The Phoenix was the bird of fire that comes back to life from it's own ash.

That and they have to keep with the names from Greek Mythology. Excluding the Odyssey who's name as you know is one from Homer's greatest writings. Which makes me wonder. Will ther be an Iliad?

reddevil18
March 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM
It depends. I think for Sam, it would be a step in the right direction, cause she would much rather be out there and actually doing something than sitting around handling administrative work.From a career building perspective, there is no doubt that it's a step backwards. You get promoted high enough, administrative matters is what you're going to do, eventually. Of course, maybe she isn't that ambitious, but going from leader of Atlantis to ship commander is a step backwards.

reddevil18
March 8th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Will ther be an Iliad? Just doesn't have the same ring to it, you know?
I'd like to someday see the Hades or something equally menacing. Of course, for the full effect, the commander of the ship would have to open communication with their enemy and give them a brief lesson on Greek mythology, explaining that Hades is, like...REALLY menacing and they should just leave, because you just don't mess with Hades.

FN-P90
March 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM
the commander of the ship would have to open communication with their enemy and give them a brief lesson on Greek mythology, explaining that Hades is, like...REALLY menacing and they should just leave, because you just don't mess with Hades.

:lol: Yea and i think in the time that it would take to explaine to them The importance of Hades in Greek mythology they would have already blown us up.:lol:

jasminaGo
March 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM
From a career building perspective, there is no doubt that it's a step backwards. You get promoted high enough, administrative matters is what you're going to do, eventually. Of course, maybe she isn't that ambitious, but going from leader of Atlantis to ship commander is a step backwards.

If it was Sam from season 1 in SG1 she would have taken the position that is higher up. But this isn't the same person, she's grown a lot in the past decade, this Sam will most likely go where she can do most good.

Like leaving command in R&D to be Mitchell's 2IC.

reddevil18
March 8th, 2008, 03:37 PM
If it was Sam from season 1 in SG1 she would have taken the position that is higher up. But this isn't the same person, she's grown a lot in the past decade, this Sam will most likely go where she can do most good.

Like leaving command in R&D to be Mitchell's 2IC.
Technically, she wasn't really his second in command. Which was actually pretty annoying. When you have two officers with the same rank, there is usually an understanding in regards to who calls the shots. While Sam did say on a few occasions that she didn't want command, you also don't see Mitchell actually giving her orders or anything. It's all "Cam" and "Sam". And she'd actually have a far greater chance of advancing her military career as a member of SG-1 than if she stayed with R&D, so, again, the move back was also a career building move. No matter how you look at it, taking command of a ship is a step back. Not saying she wouldn't do it. Not saying it wouldn't fit her - heck, I loved her as ship commander. Just saying that it would be a step backwards.

jdbond
March 8th, 2008, 03:42 PM

1) New Asgard Upgrades?

Phoneix took a lot of hit really. They lost because asgard weapon went offline. Phoneix had shield even when it hit the hive ship.

2) Missiles?

You mean why wasn't the payload not nuclear? I guess it was. In space nukes are not an effective weapon.

3) Beam weapons?
- 1 shot against an aurora pretty much could blow them out.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. It always took 3 or 4 shots on aurora to do some damage. Hive ships are much much bigger. In this episode only they showed that 3 shots for necessary to take down a hive.

4) Railguns?

As if they will do anything!

Better shields that was holding even when 3 hives were firing simultaneously, plasma weapon, time dilation device etc. Thats what the new upgrades were.

Myles
March 8th, 2008, 04:22 PM
The thing that pisses me off most is that it has never been explained is how having the shields hit causes the hyperdrive or the weapons to go offline (or explosions that only blast people away).

I mean, from a designing point of view critical systems should be completely isolated from each other, having its own power source, and the only link should be the possibility to transfer power from eatch other if needed.

Perhaps it's damage from the blasts? The only shield in SG to not become less effective as it was attacked has been Atlantis'. All other shields allow attacks to bleed through as they are damaged. In the ep with 3 hataks vs the Oddy it was able to cause some damage to the hataks even though it didn't collapse the shields. So it only makes sense that once a shield is damaged, it no longer stops all attacks. Only expection is Atlantis and that Asuran weapon we'll never see again.

Gate-builder
March 8th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Was it just me or did the hives seem to be firing a lot faster than usual? Perhaps they have been upgraded as well

Detox
March 9th, 2008, 12:23 AM

2) Missiles?

Missiles ARE nukes. Nukes are simply nuclear warheads installed onto a delivery system. Whether it's an ICBM or in this case, a missile.

YutheGreat
March 11th, 2008, 05:35 AM
I suspect the Phoenix will be real. I suspect it is Carters out. She will stop being the commander of Atlantis and become the commander of the Phoenix full time. Some think it is a step back but it can be justified reasoning that she can take a more active role in the battlefield.

Genral Hammond was assigned from command of Stargate Command to command the Prometheus in the battle over Antartica.

The Phoenix was undermanned Carter could even sit on The Chair. If they were fully crewed Hives will be destroyed no problem.

reddevil18
March 11th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Genral Hammond was assigned from command of Stargate Command to command the Prometheus in the battle over Antartica.Actually, no, he wasn't. He was replaced from the head of the SGC to make way for Weir and, presumably, was heading for retirement. It was only after Anubis attacked and he offered his services that the President assigned him to the Prometheus...which was nothing more than a symbolic gesture on the writers' part. Most likely, any new ship would still be used like the Daedalus or the Apollo - going back and forth between the galaxies, OCCASIONALLY taking part in a fight. Not really "a more active role on the battlefield" for Carter, is it? It would only be more active if a ship were permanently assigned to Atlantis - stay in orbit 24/7. And if that happened, well, Carter would still be a regular. No, giving her a ship would be a bad way out. Make Landry a 3 star general and send him to Washington, to replace Jack. Carter takes command of the SGC. Jack retires and moves back to Colorado Springs, with Sam. The end. I'm not a shipper, but that's the only explanation I'll accept. :p

Gala
March 11th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Was it just me or did the hives seem to be firing a lot faster than usual? Perhaps they have been upgraded as well

Nope hives have always been extremely fast firing. They were just tuned down for some battles.

Personally I thought it was about right. The hives are enormous so I didn't expect the beams to do a lot of damage, 2 or 3 hitting one and destroying it was pretty good IMO.

Ed
March 11th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Perhaps she will get a ship but be in charge of all of 4 like an admiral that is certainly not a demotion

though she would probly have to comand odessy for that to work

YutheGreat
March 11th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Perhaps she will get a ship but be in charge of all of 4 like an admiral that is certainly not a demotion

though she would probly have to comand odessy for that to work

I am Carter Supreme Commander of the Tauri Fleet!

Interesting but unlikely. Of all the four Colonels, Caldwell has the most battle experience and seniority. He has commanded the Daedalus in numerous engagements against the Wraith and the Replicators. He is the Defender of Atlantis.

Col.Foley
March 11th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Was it just me or did the hives seem to be firing a lot faster than usual? Perhaps they have been upgraded as wellI did not notice anything, however, knowing Micheal, I would not be surprised in the least.

FallenAngelII
March 11th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Someone's probably already pointed this out but has anyone reflected on the name the Phoenix? Phoenixes die and are reborn.

Just the same, the Phoenix was destroyed, yet will be "reborn" on the show later on (probably) :D.

Col.Foley
March 11th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Someone's probably already pointed this out but has anyone reflected on the name the Phoenix? Phoenixes die and are reborn.

Just the same, the Phoenix was destroyed, yet will be "reborn" on the show later on (probably) :D.From a writer stan point yes, but I think it is more interesting to look at why the US military would name this specific ship Phoenix, and it all has to do with Pegasus, that the Galaxy was being torn to ashes, literally destroyed, but then would come this beacon of hope to kick some royal fanny.

Pheonix Commander
March 12th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Hope we see more of it in s5 otherwise my user name will date quick!
I think people have read too much into its destruction in the flashbacks. it is hard to paint a full picture of the distress the ship was in in such a small time frame. We hear shields failing and hyperdrive going critical but aren't told why. One can only assume the first few hits from the hive the chases it straight out of the hyperspace window got lucky and hit critical systems beofre shields came up.

I'm not entirely sold on beam weapons either. They seem slow to fire, can only hit in straight lines, and if an opponent moves it misses. The hives weapons in short bursts can chase an opponent like gunfire. If they were of an equal power they would be far superior then the beams. Don't mind the beam idea, it obviously worked for the asgard, but maybe shorter sharper bursts would be more effective and the pheonix could clean pegasus up quick smart!

GoSpikey
March 13th, 2008, 05:51 AM
E.g.: The Phoneix - the pheonix

The day that everyone can spell 'Phoenix' is the day I die...

YAY! I'm immortal! :P

*Gets slightly agitated by idgits, I believe they're called sometimes?*

*Breathes in..., breathes out..., is a bit calmer*

Bray
March 13th, 2008, 06:04 AM
The day that everyone can spell 'Phoenix' is the day I die...

YAY! I'm immortal! :P

*Gets slightly agitated by idgits, I believe they're called sometimes?*

*Breathes in..., breathes out..., is a bit calmer*

^^
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s153/dazhealey/SpellingNazi.jpg

Killjoy_Zero
March 13th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I think the Phoenix was named so because it utilizes the most advanced Asgard tech to my knowledge thus half reviving the species, I guess. Thats just my guess on it all.

The reason Micheal's hives were capable of sustaining so much damage was the advanced technology i'm sure he installed. I figure, if the Asgard beams can destroy an Ori ship in 4 shots a hive shouldnt be able to sustain more than two shots if its lucky so, logically, we can assume Micheal upgraded some. If you were planning galactic conquest, wouldnt you?