Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great 100th! Now where's the finale?

Great Episode! Now where's the finale?

Seriously, I acknowledge this was a good episode, it let the writer's stretch outside the bounds of canon and give a series of "What If" moments for each of the characters. But for it fulfilling the expectations of a season finale... not so much. This episode would have been perfect if it occurred between The Kindred and the finale, but as a standalone it gave us 5 minutes of plot with a not-so-big cliffhanger.

We know they're going to survive, we know who's coming back and who's not for Season 5. We even know which plots will be similar and which won't even happen at all.
    Last edited by Malakriss; 07 March 2008, 09:31 PM. Reason: Wrong episode number

It was not the 100th it was the 80th.

Comment

Couldn't agree more. I was expecting something pretty spectacular and instead, we were given a pretty lame ending.
      sigpic

Comment

The only thing that wasn't perfect was the ending, which was vaguely abrupt, but for them to have fit everything they had to convey into about 41 minutes, I can't imagine how difficult that is. I thought this was a perfect finale, one of the best in the franchise's illustrious history.
        Theoretically spoilerish:
        Spoiler:
        Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

The 100th Episode is the fifth season finale

Comment

If your show puts out 20 eps a season, then your 100th well be the finale of the 5th season. If it happens like SG-1, you start out with more then 20 a season, so your 100th and 200th fall into mid season.

Comment

LOL, just noticed that, was already thinking in Season 5 since that's when the story will conclude.

80th or 100th, point still stands, I don't think this should have been the finale, just the lead-in.

Comment

I don't know. YOu can't look at Atlantis from an SG-1 forumla anymore. They really have become too radically different shows. One of the biggest difference'ss i've seen is that Atlantis cliff hangers aren't traditional ones. But rather they take the whole episode and say "Yeah what happens next" Rather then adding the what happens next question to the last 18 seconds like what SG-1 did so often.

This episode set's up season 5 perfectly, which really has been something season 4 has been doing sicne it started. Establishing the formula of Atlantis proper. And it works really well if you look at it with a fresh perspective.

Comment

I'd say this was a pretty good season finale. It followed through on the arc started Missing, and brought it to a devastating conclusion. Or rather, the ultimate conclusion if things had gone wrong. Now we have a setup for Season 5, and things will just continue from here.

Season finales are big, but there are different meanings of that word here. You can have BAMSR-style big (mega plot developments, mucho CGI), or you can have The Last Man-style big (major emotional moments, major shift in the status quo, etc.).

Comment

Not only was it a good season finale, I am in the school of thought that says it was one of the best Atlantis Epppies to date. Great fun, a good amount of action to get the blood pumping, and it may or may not give us a glimpse of the future. (Keller getting sick in season5 anyone?)
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I agree. *filler*

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin View Post
                        I don't know. YOu can't look at Atlantis from an SG-1 forumla anymore. They really have become too radically different shows. One of the biggest difference'ss i've seen is that Atlantis cliff hangers aren't traditional ones. But rather they take the whole episode and say "Yeah what happens next" Rather then adding the what happens next question to the last 18 seconds like what SG-1 did so often.

This episode set's up season 5 perfectly, which really has been something season 4 has been doing sicne it started. Establishing the formula of Atlantis proper. And it works really well if you look at it with a fresh perspective.
                        Indeed the next season I think will be mainly about trying to avoid the nightmare future depicted here. The cliffhanger is more if they can do it in my eyes anyway
                        A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                          Indeed the next season I think will be mainly about trying to avoid the nightmare future depicted here. The cliffhanger is more if they can do it in my eyes anyway
                          Actually thinking about it.

Spoiler:
                          I wonder if we'll get some reaction from Sheppard when we find out about woolsey being the new leader of Atlantis in regards to this episode.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                            Actually thinking about it.

Spoiler:
                            I wonder if we'll get some reaction from Sheppard when we find out about woolsey being the new leader of Atlantis in regards to this episode.
                            Spoiler:
                            maybe sheppard telling the story to someone is what gets wooselsy there from the start
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                            X