PDA

View Full Version : what a sobering season finally (spoilers)

jdog
March 7th, 2008, 09:26 PM
50,000 years can make present day seem so small.

Would have been cool if he somehow gated back to earth, what would happen 50,000 years from now.

Also what did mcay mean when talking to lorne about how badly the time line ended up, he said in both the PG and MW.

What happened in the milky way.

ALso what a ladies man Rodney was in this ep.!!!!

Seemed like Carter and Keller ended up digging him. Poor shep as soon as he's gone the rod man gets all the ladies.

KindlyKeller
March 7th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Absolutely. I always LOVE the "things go real, real wrong in this glimpse of a possible future" episode.

What was so interesting about this one was that it was confined to the Pegasus for the most part (despite the cryptic implication that "something" bad happened in the MW). McKay and Keller had a CHOICE to leave the doomsday behind. That was so interesting.

jdog
March 7th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I dont usually care about shippers but i hope mcay and keller get their time again.

Mckay deserves a nice girl like keller (did i say nice i meant naughty 8)

It was cool seeing the two leave. Without the gang it just aint the same.

MathiasE
March 7th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Also what did mcay mean when talking to lorne about how badly the time line ended up, he said in both the PG and MW.

What happened in the milky way.

Guess we'll never know, but one guess would be that Michael and his mutations managed to improve their warpdrive and was working their way trough the Milky Way.
Or maybe after all that happened in Pegasus they finally went public with the gate and the pegsaus project and things went downhill on earth.

Could be a million reasons.

MacTX
March 7th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Good to know that Atlantis is made out of materials able to last 48k years older than it already was. If it had power, it might have been able to fly again.

wiseowl777
March 7th, 2008, 11:13 PM
-what i want to know is what went so terribly wrong with humanity in the future? i mean atlantis left abandoned w/o a shield on a dieing planet? whyd we abandon it, whyd we withdraw from pegasus and leave it behind? it obviously never got attacked in that period of time.
-even if michaels forces overpowered the whole galaxy, why not fly it to the mw? (we did have a few zpm's)
-and i say abandoned bc there was Nothing left in atlantis when shepard found it. it wasnt a we are under attack lets leave. there were no 48,000 yo fragments from laptops or anything left behind from earth. they had dead plants left from 10,000 yrs ago, why not a single trace of the expedition?

-and common u knew hed be there in 48,000 yrs... at least leave him a few frozen twinkies... theyd def last;)

MacTX
March 8th, 2008, 01:20 AM
not sure any food products left (even frozen) would survive the 48,000 yr span.

KindlyKeller
March 8th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Put some Hungry Mans in stasis maybe.

Esquin
March 8th, 2008, 03:39 AM
We have 2 possible reasons for the departure.

1. The IOA becomes increasinly isolationist and basically just recalls them. They basically jstu decide taht Atlantis isn't worth the expense of flying back to the MW so they leave it.

2. Less likely cause it requires us to survive a long time. But The sun goes red giant and we leave becasue well who want's to stick around for that! And we'd have basically milked Atlantis dry by that point so why take it with us?

Cree
March 8th, 2008, 07:01 AM
We dont know when it was abandoned, maybe we had been there for 10 or 20 thousand years and had learnt everything and were able to build something similar of our own design or something, ya know who knows :D

Ltcolshepjumper
March 8th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I wonder who was in Atlantis when old Mckay went back to create his hologram. Also, something could have happened on earth that resulted in the Atlantis Expedition withdrawing back. Maybe it was global warming (as a result of the sun).

Gate-builder
March 8th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I'm willing to bet it was the IOA's fault that they had to abandon the place. They seem quite good at screwing things up

Lightningsun
March 11th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I got a good question, if you put warm food like I donno freshly made pizza. Is it going to be warm 48.000 years later?

ori soldier
March 11th, 2008, 03:56 PM
to speak of why atlantis abandoned it was mentioned in the ep, humans are extinct some extinction event makes the conditions of atlantis, pegasus, earth wherever unable to support life. This has happened before in the timeline of earth and it will happen again a shift in conditions causes mass extinction. As to no laptops its likely michael forced them to leave i mean he could probably take the one ship and power running out who knows? anyway this ep was incredible all the flashbacks were brilliant but i was hoping the person ronon ran into was ford that would have been amazing.

Opener
March 11th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I loved this episode. Todd showed he's actually very deadly hand-to-hand, and Woolsey showed up too. Awesome.

ShadowMaat
March 11th, 2008, 09:43 PM
It would have been a lot more sobering if they'd showed us more than a CGI desert. ;)

PG15
March 11th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I'd say the rest of the episode fits "more than a CGI desert" pretty well.

Pheonix Commander
March 12th, 2008, 12:08 AM
It was a great finale to a season in my opinion. I think that now SGA is really coming of age so too speak without it's big brother SG1 around now. It has become the flagship of the series and continues to rate as such.

It was great to see a calm, reflective side of McKay in this episode, even if it took him becoming a hologram for it to happen. On a side note, kudos to his make up artist. The age make up can be a tricky undertaking and his looked every bit authentic. McKay looked more realistic then SG1 did in unending. That might not be the popular opinion, but i'm sure with a quick recap of that episode and you'll all see what i mean if you're not in agreence.

I liked the Mckay/ keller thing too. It seemed sweet, two lost souls finding each other. I hope this is revisited in s5, as i think it could work. I'm a fan of keller, i think she brings something different to the team. She's not a replacement for Carson, she's always going to be different, but different isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Sadly it was only a short life so far for my ship. It'll be back in s5 I hope, bigger, better and hopefully armed to the teeth!

Woolsey. Hope that wasn't a sign of what's to come. Some conflict is a good thing but the IOA annoy me terribly. Power without insight.

Michael and his hybrids. Cool idea, and a much better enemy then a rehash of a replicator. I liked the asurans but felt a little cheated that the best enemy they had in s3 was something from s6 of SG1. Connor Trinnear does a great job of ruling with an iron fist, and a tongue in his cheek!

ShadowMaat
March 12th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I'd say the rest of the episode fits "more than a CGI desert" pretty well.

The events McKay related didn't happen almost 50,000 years after Shep's disappearance, which is the time frame I'd like to know more about. Are we meant to believe that humanity is extinct because of Michael or what? Sure, events in McKay's lifetime turned out to be very tragic, but what about the fate of humanity as a whole? What happened in the long run? What's going on 50,000 years into the future? Who's to say things didn't get better later on? Maybe even far better than they'd ever been before?

Taking us 50,000 (give or take a few millennia) years into the future and giving us NOTHING but a flippin' sand box seems like a waste to me. Why take us that far when just a few hundred (or even thousand) years would do? Other than depriving us of the oh-so-dramatic desert scene. ;)

Killjoy_Zero
March 12th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I, personally, was disappointed with season 4. It just felt fake compared to season 3. The cliff hangers arent really cliff hangers, they're just regular ending episodes. They could have cut it with Sheppard 48K years in the future, that would have been a good cliff hanger but to have the team have a building dropped on them? What the hell was the point in that? You'd think that even after 48,000 years people would have figured out a way to fly Atlantis back to Earth. We all know thats how the series will end. Another thing, they never once touched on Carson even when they had ample opportunity to do so.
Sheppard and McKay outside of the stasis pod.
Shep: Where's Carson?

How bloody hard would that have been? I understand, they may have written and filmed "The Last Man" after "The Kindred" which is fair but a last minute change would have been nice. I understand not touching up on Weir at all, that would have been a bit spoiling for the season 5 arch.

If season 5 is like season 4, I may stop watching every week and just download the main story arch episodes.

ShadowMaat
March 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM
They could have cut it with Sheppard 48K years in the future, that would have been a good cliff hanger...
Might have made a more interesting twist. Show Shep being sent off... and not arriving. There's a flurry of activity as McKay works to figure out what went wrong and tries to correct it, but eventually it has to be put aside for more pressing issues. Spend the rest of the ep giving us snippets of the next however many years, incorporating the various elements we were given as actual, in progress events rather than something coldly related by McKay. Then, if possible, go beyond what we were given, flash-flash-flash, getting faster until FLASH! Shep steps out of the gate and looks around, zooming out to show Atlantis mired in the desert. THEN pop up the "to be continued..."

Killjoy_Zero
March 12th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I was more referring to the point where Shep went into the stasis pod. They should have ended it there or maybe shown some snippets of McKay working and THEN Sheppard going through the gate at the end of the episode. Instead we got shafted on all that because they felt like dropping a building on the characters. Season 4 has gone down hill a bit. A lot, actually. They've pretty much destroyed it for most fans while giving in to what the fans wanted. I want to know what happened to Ford, some kind of confirmation. I wont get it for quite sometime. I want them to go back to not being insanely over powered against the wraith. The good guys should NEVER be able to just squish the bad guys. The hope the big new baddies for season 5 are much much much better than the wraith or replicators while not being another SG-1 ripoff just like everyone else here. I dont think i'll get it. And the furlings, where the hell have they run off to? Its like they disappeared from space-time. Its not fair to the fans.

PG15
March 12th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Another thing, they never once touched on Carson even when they had ample opportunity to do so.
Sheppard and McKay outside of the stasis pod.
Shep: Where's Carson?

How bloody hard would that have been?

Harder than what you've proposed? You think that'll just be it after Sheppard asks that? Obviously they'll have McKay explain what happens to him, which will take up more time. And, if they don't do it justice, the fans will whine, just like that mention of "Jonas" in Counterstrike. They'll go "everyone else got their own segment! Why not Carson?!" and so forth.

For major characters like Carson, they will have to devote some time to it, or just not mention him at all.

Killjoy_Zero
March 12th, 2008, 10:26 PM
But its rather annoying when Sheppard uses, as far as we know, the exact same pod. You'd think that Carson would have been in it or something since he was in it before The Last Man took place. Besides, that would have eaten up their time and we would have a better cliff hanger then what we got. I'm more than aware that they would have had to explain it, I left that part out of my initial post since I didnt feel like typing anything aside from that up. I feel cheated by season 4. The had seriously pull something out of their collective asses or Atlantis will get canceled unless that was their plan after SG-1 got canceled at which case good job writers.

nosaj
March 13th, 2008, 06:23 PM
not sure any food products left (even frozen) would survive the 48,000 yr span.

well in fairness if a human can survive 1000 years in there im pretty sure a twinky can survive 48000

PG15
March 13th, 2008, 06:41 PM
You think a Twinky can survive for ~300 years?

Because it'll still "age", but just at a slower pace.

Mitchell82
March 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Guess we'll never know, but one guess would be that Michael and his mutations managed to improve their warpdrive and was working their way trough the Milky Way.
Or maybe after all that happened in Pegasus they finally went public with the gate and the pegsaus project and things went downhill on earth.

Could be a million reasons.

I too was curious as to what happened in the MW but it wasn't relevant to the plot.

MacTX
March 14th, 2008, 03:55 AM
well in fairness if a human can survive 1000 years in there im pretty sure a twinky can survive 48000

that's still a lot of decay... even in stasis it would still be decaying. normally human bodies are constantly being regenerated by the body. the statis pod probably slows down the decay process and probably the regeneration process as well. The Twinkie wouldn't last that long. dried goods might be a possibility but no one really knows how it would turn out after 48k years of stasis. remember how kind the process was to weir? that was only 10k yrs and she went into it as a relatively young woman and coming out nearly at the end of life.

a stasis pod contained within a time dilation field would have been the only way.

JSPuddlejumper
March 15th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I found it all be quite funny, actually

Jill_Ion
March 15th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I was more referring to the point where Shep went into the stasis pod. They should have ended it there or maybe shown some snippets of McKay working and THEN Sheppard going through the gate at the end of the episode. Instead we got shafted on all that because they felt like dropping a building on the characters. Season 4 has gone down hill a bit. A lot, actually. They've pretty much destroyed it for most fans while giving in to what the fans wanted. I want to know what happened to Ford, some kind of confirmation. I wont get it for quite sometime. I want them to go back to not being insanely over powered against the wraith. The good guys should NEVER be able to just squish the bad guys. The hope the big new baddies for season 5 are much much much better than the wraith or replicators while not being another SG-1 ripoff just like everyone else here. I dont think i'll get it. And the furlings, where the hell have they run off to? Its like they disappeared from space-time. Its not fair to the fans.

The emboldened sentences confuse me, and not in a good way.

ShadowMaat
March 15th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Yeah, it's usually best not to make sweeping statements on behalf of fandom. ;)

sexius_maximus
March 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I wonder who was in Atlantis when old Mckay went back to create his hologram. Also, something could have happened on earth that resulted in the Atlantis Expedition withdrawing back. Maybe it was global warming (as a result of the sun).

maybe they all ascended, 50,000 years is a long time. speaking of which does anyone know how long the ancients were around before they ascended?

PG15
March 15th, 2008, 10:08 PM
More than 50 million years.