Clear All

Stargate: Official Magazine (review)

review…

THE OFFICIAL STARGATE MAGAZINE
    Premiere Issue
    Newsstand Price: $6.99 + tax
    Subscription: $37.75 ($6.29) 10% savings
    Comes out every two months

The magazine is 68 pages in total, counting the front and back covers, as the magazine itself page numbers itself in that style. You lose 17 pages to the cover & back pages, requisite ads, table of contents, subscription info, a 2-page survey, and ‘coming attractions’ for issue 2, leaving you with 51 pages of actual content.

This is a glossy stock magazine, so it should withstand multiple viewings. However, this is a magazine designed for Stargate fans who don’t visit the internet. I say that because the first page of real content had news of Richard Dean Anderson’s Air Force award, which made me think, geez, that’s old news. (BTW, for more detailed info on that event, http://www.rdanderson.com/ has some incredible coverage.) Ditto with the the timeliness of the Claudia Black news.

The photo quality is inconsistent. Overall, the photos are pretty sharp (which is the primary reason why I bought the magazine) but the shot of Kinsey (Ronny Cox) on page 10 is as green as Jack’s OD uniform. Similarly, a shot of the Atlantis gang at the bottom of page 25 suffers from that blue ‘washed-out’ effect you see in posters that have been out in the sunlight in a store window a tad too long. Okay, and on a totally catty comment (sorry, I’m allowed one), they could have found a better shot of ‘Oma’ on page 39. She looks like a school teacher about to lecture some truant. And lastly, the shot of Jack with the alien armband on page 64 isn’t very sharp. But overall, photo quality is quite good, but they need to spiff it up across the board as photo content is going to be a major part of the magazine. Since the magazine is official, they certainly must have access to high quality digital photos. If not, they should just pluck a few off fan sites!

The layout is pretty good. Text is readable, although aging fans may need to break out the bifocals, and they do a decent job of combining stories/interviews with little boxed blurbs so that the reader doesn’t get bored. On the other end, it’s not too ‘busy’ to the point you get confused what the heck you’re trying to read. It’s similar to other scifi-oriented magazines out of the UK.

Okay, onward to content, the make-or-break of any product:

Original content (as in interviews you won’t find on the net – at least not yet until some fan scans them like some are prone to do with articles on actors, and put them up in the Files section of Yahoo groups…) are:

Ronny Cox (Kinsey)
    Michael Greenbury (producer)
    Chris Wren (artist –SGA)
    Douglas Thar (USAF advisor – and no, the military isn’t advising on SGA and for those who wonder, so far Sam/Jack may have pushed the envelope, but they haven’t crossed the line)
    Christinna McQuarrie – costume designer
    Jacques Lamontagne – breakdown artist
    Todd Masters – FX
    James Robbins – art director
    Michelle Comens – visual effects supervisor
    Bridget McGuire – production designer
    Doug Yellin –Stargate SG-3000 ride producer (yes, a ride)

There are some interesting tidbits in those accounts, as I like reading what folks behind the scenes do. However, it’s yet to be determined what the general readership wants. That’s what the survey is all about (See below)

I didn’t include the actor bits (Amanda, Chris, Michael or Atlantis folk) under that same ‘original content’ context as much of what I read I went, oh yeah, read that someone else. It’s just that these actors get interviewed a lot, talk a lot at conventions, so they can repeat information. The perils of the web! There were a few new tidbits on Altantis info but overall, it was an overview with nothing particularly new. I was surprised that they left out some key background elements on Teyla that actress Rachel Lutrell had mentioned in several other interviews.

There was also “Daniel’s Notebook” - containing mini episode guides of episodes featuring the Ancients, then Daniel’s ‘journal entries’ on his thoughts on the Ancients. That was perhaps the most fannish thing within the pages, bordering in some respects on fanfic in his ‘entries.’ Apparently Daniel’s Notebook is planned as an ongoing feature judging from the back page, and next issue will be about the Replicators.

SPOILERS: For fans who avoid spoilers at all costs, it’s probably not the magazine to pick up. Sorry, folks, but there are ‘spoiler alerts’ within its pages. Fortunately, they put it at the top of the article, so if you can resist reading the first thing your eyes see, you can (as a spoilerphobe) avoid the information. But on the other hand, the Claudia Black info, in some respects, constitutes a spoiler. In the Amanda Tapping article, she talks about Sam making a discovery in the forthcoming episode “Gemini.” That’s a spoiler to spoilerphobes. So it all depends upon your level of how much spoilage you can tolerate…

Overall, it’s not a bad magazine, but it’s not great either. The first issue is afflicted with the same problem that affects others of its genre: its content is easily outstripped and by the pace and glut of information on the internet. The news, for anybody on the internet, isn’t news anymore. It’s what is now buried several pages back on a web page, or dozens of posts down on a mailing list.

In essence, the magazine faces some battles in its quest to obtain and keep an internet-savvy audience. First, the timeliness of news (see above). Issue #2, due out in late December, promises news on season 9. How many folks want to bet that virtually every SG1 fan on the net (plus Google’s news search engine) will know the yes or no on that scenario before that issue even hits the press? Second, more interesting content. While the interviews with crew are fascinating, will that hold the base audience, or will readers want more interviews with the cast? Much of the magazine’s generic content (consisting of episode guides, Daniel’s Notebook) is basically a rehash of what’s out there on the net. But most importantly, what will occur if Stargate SG-1 does not see a season 9? Will the magazine live on in the past eight seasons of SG1 and potential movies, or will it push more content toward SGA, which is newer and fresher?

The survey inside the magazine – which is actually part of a contest and no doubt being culled for marketing purposes – does ask what you’d like to see in future issues, how much time you spend on the net, what you buy, if you’ll sub to the magazine, if the ads are relevant, your favorite character. You can find the rules and regulations online at www.titanmagazines.com/rules/stargate. They do let you make photocopies, so if a friend buys a copy and you don’t, you can still send in a survey.

You can send in letters of comment to [email protected]. These can be letters of comment you’d just like published, or you can just write them and tell them what you think of the magazine and what you like (or dislike) about it.

This review is speaking from the viewpoint of a fan who follows the show, but not obsessively to the point of knowing how many times Jack has called Daniel “Danny” though! (uh, six? I don’t really know). For a fan who doesn’t read SG1 info on the net, it’s a basically decent primer. Readers won’t realize the news is a couple months old. For the more astute net SG1 fan, the magazine is good if you want to read about behind-the-scenes information. Or clip photos. The mini posters are neat, but you need to choose which side you want to put up, as SGA is on one side, SG1 on the other.

ISSUE #2 promises
    Richard Dean Anderson interview
    The top SG-1 battles
    Robert Cooper interview
    Season Nine News
    Don S Davis discusses returning to SG1
    Daniel’s Notebook: The replicators
    Double-sided poster
    Exclusive excerpt from the next SG-1 novel (the UK ones)

In tiny print below, content subject to change

The credits***********************

EDITOR
    Sharon Gosling
    Editor of Stargate SG-1: the Essential Scripts
    + a variety of interviews in UK scifi magazines such as Dreamwatch, SFX, etc.

NEWS EDITOR
    Darren Sumner
    http://thesumners.com/darren/
    Owner of Gateworld

CONTRIBUTORS:

Kristy Bratton
    ??

K. Stoddard Hayes
    Author of Xena Warrior Princess: Complete Illustrated Companion

Sally Reeve
    Fanfic author
    http://uk.geocities.com/mystories_uk/

Will I subscribe to the magazine? Probably not. It’s easier to survey it in the bookstore and determine if I really want it. That way if the magazine also radically alters, I’m not stuck with a subscription to something I don’t want (and that has happened).

If anybody else has purchased it, what's your opinion?

Just to say I am in UK and I ordered the 6 copy offer and mine came today in post. Haven't read it yet saving that for bed.
    jan t
    jan t

Comment

Originally posted by prion
      review…

If anybody else has purchased it, what's your opinion?
      Basically the same as yours. It also suffers in the picture area of a *been there saw that* problem from the internet as well. I think there were only about 3 pics total that I hadn't seen before. I was hoping for higher quality pics as well as different ones since the mag is supposedly *official*. Hope to at least see more print pics of those promo pics that are floating around the web like the middle pages poster if they are going to use ones we have seen before. Seems those only turn up in European mags. Overall not a bad mag but like you I will wait to see in the store before i decide to purchase.

Shelly
      Shelly
      My Photos
      sigpic

Comment

I hope you mean Michael Greenburg not Greenbury...

And in general that's a great and insiteful review. Thank you a lot! It's a little steep a price for content that I can probably get on the internet retold if the picture quality doesn't improve.

That bit about Season Nine news next issue is ... interesting.

Comment

I received my issue yesterday (Ive also taken up the UK advance subscription offer) and have been steadily working my way through it. The interviews that Ive read so far have been quite good (though Ive only read the short ones really).

Photo content is a bit "seen that, seen that" but I guess that's bound to happen. Am still having to avoid some parts of it though (as there are spoilers for upcoming eps that the UK hasnt seen yet (both SG and Atlantis) I started reading the feature on Carter, but stopped after getting the impression there would be spoilers ahead (that werent marked)

The 'Art Cards' given away were pretty neat (even though terribly bent in the post!) A free poster next time - hopefully that'll come in a better state. But 10/10 for it getting to me before the due issue date

BTW - I didnt realise it was a 2 monthly issue!!! Shouldve checked the small print

Comment

I absoluely love it, sat down and read straight through it, first time I've done that with a mag in ages.

Comment

'Art cards'? What art cards? I suspect UK folk got something we US folks didn't get

Comment

lol, you get the actualy show months before us, so atleast we should have something you dont have There probably crap anyway, so id think your not missing out.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

Just baught the magizine and have read it through. It was very good. Cain't wait for the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                    Just baught the magizine and have read it through. It was very good. Cain't wait for the next one.
                    I woke up early today. So i decided to head down to town today instead of going tommorw morning. Which was my original plan. Went into WHS all exited.... No sign of the magazine on the shelf. So I asked. 1 of the staff said if it was out it would be there. I told her is due today. So she sent someone downstairs to the stock room. Result: the magazines were there. They had not put them out today. (The release day!)

So i've got my copy. I've scanned through it. I'll read it properly tonight at work.

Comment

Ack! No sign of the magazine in WHSmiths today!!

But I'm not going to panic (yet!). I'm heading down to my local newsagents later to see if they have the mag in stock. They're usually pretty good with the sci-fi stuff.

I'm so jealous of the people who already have this mag. It's sad really. But I want the art cards. And poster.
                      "Never give up! Never surrender!" - Galaxy Quest

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                        'Art cards'? What art cards? I suspect UK folk got something we US folks didn't get
                        They're just glossy pictures of the Atlantis cast (thought they might have been SG) Don't get excited about the poster, its not glossy or anything, just a regular pull out from the magazine.

Apparently the next issue is going to have a Giant poster

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksbabe
                          They're just glossy pictures of the Atlantis cast (thought they might have been SG) Don't get excited about the poster, its not glossy or anything, just a regular pull out from the magazine.

Apparently the next issue is going to have a Giant poster
                          It is a double sided picture. SG-1 is on the other side of the page from Antlantis cast. At least here in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by CultTVGirl
                            Ack! No sign of the magazine in WHSmiths today!!

But I'm not going to panic (yet!). I'm heading down to my local newsagents later to see if they have the mag in stock. They're usually pretty good with the sci-fi stuff.

I'm so jealous of the people who already have this mag. It's sad really. But I want the art cards. And poster.
                            Try asking in WHS. They might have it in the store room. Like they did with the copys here in Stafford.

I really liked the comment that Roney Cox made about his singing in the convention he did in Febuary. He said he did not know what to expect from scifi fans hearing country and western.

Well I was at that convention and he was fantastic. he's a great person. Infact i'll be be lucky enough to see him on stage at 2 events next week. I booked the thursday event mainly because he'll be singing there! (Mum and Dad are paying for the ticket. a birthday present.)

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                              It is a double sided picture. SG-1 is on the other side of the page from Antlantis cast. At least here in the US.
                              Are you talking about the glossy pics in the centre? Cos over in the UK (or mine at least) are only one sided!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X