This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan in need of a new series to be addicted to

I have all of stargate sg-1 and atlantis and i am currently watching them all again for the 3rd time.

However, i wanted to know what series you guys would recommend.

I need a series that
    -is relatively cheap to buy on dvd( $50 or less?)
    -is not to old looking aka bad graphics ( orginal series star trek is to old looking)
    -has a lot of material for me to get sucked into

other than that im open for suggestions

o and ive seen all of star trek: TNG and i loved that as well.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Annubis' hitman View Post
    I have all of stargate sg-1 and atlantis and i am currently watching them all again for the 3rd time.

However, i wanted to know what series you guys would recommend.

I need a series that
    -is relatively cheap to buy on dvd( $50 or less?)
    -is not to old looking aka bad graphics ( orginal series star trek is to old looking)
    -has a lot of material for me to get sucked into

other than that im open for suggestions

o and ive seen all of star trek: TNG and i loved that as well.
    Battlestar Galactica? DS9? Farscape. All good choices.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

$50 for a whole series or just for a season?

Isn't Farscape still among the more expensive shows when it comes to DVDs?

If you are after scifi that doesn't require a space factor then you could do a lot worse than work your way through the X-Files. Plenty of good stuff in there.

Comment

Man, this must be a "bug" or "virus" that's going around. This is the third thread that has asked for more science fiction programs.

There is the older thread, titled "reccommendations" (posted by someone named "pileofcrap') where they are asking about five different programs, whether they are worth "getting into". Go back a couple of pages and you can get into this thread. (I'm sorry I don't know how to link to this... I'll get current someday...)

And then there is a thread titled, "Need help that only a Stargate fan can provide" posted by Cynycal, where Cynycal is looking for space-oriented sci-fi that isn't on the list that he/she (I'm sorry, I don't know Cynycal's gender. Please forgive my choice of words.) graciously provides.

My suggestion is to go through and try to get everything on Cynycal's list-- maybe one series at a time-- and just enjoy it. You've apparently seen two or three of a list of maybe thirty programs...
        "That's what you get for dicking around"--Col. Jack O'Neill

Comment

Originally posted by Annubis' hitman View Post
          *sigh*
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by bliv View Post
            $50 for a whole series or just for a season?

Isn't Farscape still among the more expensive shows when it comes to DVDs?

If you are after scifi that doesn't require a space factor then you could do a lot worse than work your way through the X-Files. Plenty of good stuff in there.
            x-files is rather cheap for the whole thing too!!

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            *sigh*
            i heard they want to remaster it with new cgi and stuff!!
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

I would personally reccomend:

Sci Fi -

Doctor Who
              Torchwood
              X-Files
              Buffy
              Angel
              Red Dwarf
              Firefly

Non Sci-Fi -

Spooks
              Scrubs
              Yes Minister
              The West Wing

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Scrubs
                Highlander:The Series
                Battlestar Galactica
                Dead Like Me

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                  i heard they want to remaster it with new cgi and stuff!!
                  Which is an absolute abomination in the vein of George Lucas. Things like that simply should not be done. You don't see modern artists enlarging the Mona Lisa's breasts in order to placate modern expectations, do you?
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

These are a few of my favorites

Sci Fi -

Torchwood
                    X-Files
                    Buffy
                    Angel
                    Firefly
                    Moonlight
                    Chicago Con Attendee 2011
                    Chicago Con Attendee 2010
                    GateCon Attendee 2008
                    Vancouver Con Attendee 2007

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Which is an absolute abomination in the vein of George Lucas. Things like that simply should not be done. You don't see modern artists enlarging the Mona Lisa's breasts in order to placate modern expectations, do you?
                      it's not the same IMHO, it's more akin to people taking old damaged paintings and touching them up to look better, not actually changing it in any way, just incorperating newer technology to make it appeal to a wider audience.
                      Spoiler:
                      Disclaimer:
                      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                      Quotes!
                      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                      sigpic

Comment

Silicone, for instance?

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I think im going to look into

firefly
                          Deep Space Nine
                          Bablyon Five

O and those who have said scrubs im already addicted to that show.
                          sigpic

Comment

Not sure if it was mentioned but Firefly is only a season long so you may be better served with DS9 if you want to get into something that's a little more long running.

Comment

you might like Andromeda, but you never know
                              Somewhere weakness is our strength,
                              And I'll die searching for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X