ship lengths...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ship lengths...

i happen to be in a sort of RP with a few friends, and we are setting ship production rules. The rules include cost for length of ships but we lack any agreement for the size of the ships, so i ask what the people on this fantastic forum think. the list includes just about everything we could think of...here it is:

Anubis' mothership
    Apophis' mothership
    Ra's mothership
    Ha'tak
    Al'kesh
    Goa'uld Troop Transport
    Tel’tac
    Osiris' Escape ship
    Death Glider
    Hive ship
    Wraith Cruiser
    Wraith Scout
    Dart
    Replicator Ship
    Replicator Cruiser
    Replicator Warship
    Ori Battleship
    Ori Fighter
    Aurora
    Asuran Warship(the small ones from The Mortal Coil)
    Puddle Jumper
    O'Neill
    Beliskner
    Daniel Jackson
    Daedalus
    Prometheus
    F-302
    Traveler Generation Ship

Sorry to tell you this but this is a highly debated topic here as well

The reason is that the CGI company doesn't give a crap about actual standard lenghts, all they care about is if it looks good
    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
    A Face you Can Trust
    sigpic
    So whats the worst that could happen?
    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

i got that already, but i would still like to see peoples opinions...perhaps pick the more dominant ones

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post

The reason is that the CGI company doesn't give a crap about actual standard lenghts, all they care about is if it looks good
        you could not be more right

Comment

Originally posted by Randar View Post
          i happen to be in a sort of RP with a few friends, and we are setting ship production rules. The rules include cost for length of ships but we lack any agreement for the size of the ships, so i ask what the people on this fantastic forum think. the list includes just about everything we could think of...here it is:

Anubis' mothership
          Apophis' mothership
          Ra's mothership
          Ha'tak
          Al'kesh
          Goa'uld Troop Transport
          Tel’tac
          Osiris' Escape ship
          Death Glider
          Hive ship
          Wraith Cruiser
          Wraith Scout
          Dart
          Replicator Ship
          Replicator Cruiser
          Replicator Warship
          Ori Battleship
          Ori Fighter
          Aurora
          Puddle Jumper
          O'Neill
          Beliskner
          Daniel Jackson
          Daedalus
          Prometheus
          F-302
          Traveler Generation Ship
          That's a pretty big list you've got there. I only know measurements for a couple of those. The hive is 11km, and the Daedalus is about 705 metesr. I'm not sure, but I think I remember the Aurora being about 1km. Many of those smaller ones you could probably guess and get fairly accurate measurements, like the tel'tac and pj.

Comment

Originally posted by ZakeD View Post
            That's a pretty big list you've got there. I only know measurements for a couple of those. The hive is 11km, and the Daedalus is about 705 metesr. I'm not sure, but I think I remember the Aurora being about 1km. Many of those smaller ones you could probably guess and get fairly accurate measurements, like the tel'tac and pj.
            i know hives are ment to be 11km but that just does not make sense cos the Daedalus is up against a hive on the computer in Allies and the hive is not 15.6 times longer.

Comment

Originally posted by mickhhh View Post
              i know hives are ment to be 11km but that just does not make sense cos the Daedalus is up against a hive on the computer in Allies and the hive is not 15.6 times longer.
              There are a lot of contradictions in stargate, but those are still the official numbers.

Comment

These are measurments that I found for the Daedalus, 104m in height, 370m in width and 740m in length, 690m minus the front antennas. Can't remember were I found them though.
                sigpic
                "We are the Fifth Race. Our role is clear. If there is any hope in preserving the future, it lies with us."
                Signature made by RJB

Comment

Originally posted by Randar View Post

Anubis' mothership
                  Apophis' mothership
                  Ra's mothership
                  Ha'tak 1 km
                  Al'kesh [b]80m[b]
                  Goa'uld Troop Transport
                  Tel’tac 10 m
                  Osiris' Escape ship
                  Death Glider 3 m
                  Hive ship 11 km
                  Wraith Cruiser 2 km <---- Probably most inconsistent
                  Wraith Scout
                  Dart 4 m
                  Replicator Ship
                  Replicator Cruiser
                  Replicator Warship
                  Ori Battleship 3 km
                  Ori Fighter
                  Aurora 1 km <---- Also very inconsistent
                  Puddle Jumper 10 m
                  O'Neill 2 km
                  Beliskner 1.5 km
                  Daniel Jackson 1 km
                  Daedalus 650 m
                  Prometheus 500 m
                  F-302 3 m
                  Traveler Generation Ship
                  You're never going to get the excact measurements; Stargates CGI is too inconsistent for it. But you can use pick what sizes you like better.

For ex. the Ori Warship in Camelot - dwarfs everything, but appears smaller later on. I would personally choose the smaller version instead of something that looks 5-6 km. Inside the quote I put my personal estimates. Ones missing esimates are ships I don't remember well or havn't seen enough of. Of course take it with a grain of salt, but I think it's what you want, right?

Comment

I think most of those measures are wildly inflated. Better does not mean bigger. A powerful ship is not guaranteed to be more large.

No way is any of the Earth Battlecruisers larger than Picards Enterprise. when the Ori Super Gate was forming, Carter estimated it might be 300-400 meters across when fully formed, and the Ori ships barely fit.

The general shape was vaguely elliptical, so it couldn't be more than 450-600 meters in length. The Earth ships are probably comperable in length to a modern navy cruiser. Remember it had to be built in secret, so resources would have been restricted.

I've read the number on the size of the Hatak was around 600 in length, and 350 in height. The Wraith rely on numbers, so the cruisers are probably much smaller.

In the episode where the O'Neill is introduced, it is clearly smaller than other Asgard capital ships. Relying on a simpler more nimble design perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Maedhros_Sea View Post
                      I think most of those measures are wildly inflated. Better does not mean bigger. A powerful ship is not guaranteed to be more large.

No way is any of the Earth Battlecruisers larger than Picards Enterprise. when the Ori Super Gate was forming, Carter estimated it might be 300-400 meters across when fully formed, and the Ori ships barely fit.

The general shape was vaguely elliptical, so it couldn't be more than 450-600 meters in length. The Earth ships are probably comperable in length to a modern navy cruiser. Remember it had to be built in secret, so resources would have been restricted.

I've read the number on the size of the Hatak was around 600 in length, and 350 in height. The Wraith rely on numbers, so the cruisers are probably much smaller.

In the episode where the O'Neill is introduced, it is clearly smaller than other Asgard capital ships. Relying on a simpler more nimble design perhaps?
                      Using the great pyramid as a rough estimate, the Pyramid section would have a diaganol length of about 350 meters. So maybe 1km was a bit much, 700 m would have been better since it has the surrounding structure which makes it about double that. But have 304s have been scaled a ton of times with a ton of different pics and they almost always come out to be around 600-700 meters. Seems big, but I'm not going to argue with it. Ha'taks seem to be about 1/3 or so bigger then a 304 so 1km is what I would go with.

Like I said, cruisers are very inconsistent. Hives being 11km was shown on a producer sketch or something like that. It's not much, but somewhere to start. Cruisers have been shown to be 1/5 hive size, so about 2km. They've also been shown a bit smaller then an Aurora, which is also very inconsistent, but probably not 2km.

And I could be wrong - it's been a long time since I saw that episode - but didn't the Oniell originally look way bigger then thier other ships and later on was shown to be smaller then originally shown? I need to watch the episode where the 3 Oniells rescue SG1 and the Asgard guy working on the clone reaserch from Anubis. It's a good shot to see a decent comparision of the Oniell to a Ha'tak.

Comment

I don't much about the Hive ship. Maybe they have multiple cruiser types. I never noticed the forked tale until a recent episode of Atlantis.

The BC size must be a production mistake. Sometimes they do stupid stuff. Like:

1 shot = stun
                        2 shot = kill
                        3 shot = disintegrate.

The episode where the ONeill is first shown was on Monday 3/3, and it seemed 2/3 the size of the other Asgard type ships. It was similar in size on a tactical display aboard the ship Thor was using.

It's possible the ONeill gets mistaken for older ship types. The ONeill doesn't have the three Ventral hull bulges. Much smoother design. Unless they changed it after "Small Victories"? I think that is the name of the episode.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post

There is more wisdom in your answer than you know amigo...

GOD BLESS AMERICAN TELEVISION NETWORKS!! ...and the music industry...and the hollywood remade, uninspired crappy movie factory...and the "MADE FOR SCI-FI" weekly intelligence drainer and the...

*scrap that last one, they don't even care if their's look good*

Now I'm off to go watch "Mansquito"
                          sigpic

Comment

Just make them up yourself, we have a rough idea on some of the sizes, but that's about it, the rest we can sort of fill in, like the travellers ships, they are clearly much smaller than auroras probably like 200m and things like that, or you could just have price ranges.
                            Best quotes ever:
                            O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                            Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                            Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                            Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                            Thor:I like the yellow ones
                            O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Ori ships are about 6 times longer than Ha'taks, if ha'taks are 1km that would make then 6km, doesn't seem quite right to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X