Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Carson and Michael's coercion

In the episode, Carson told the following to Rodney:

I refused at first; but then one day he brought another prisoner into my cell – a young lady, couldn't have been more than twenty years of age ... (he gazes at the floor, his face haunted by the memory) ... and he killed her in cold blood right in front of my eyes. He said every day I refused to help, he'd kill another just like her. From that moment on, I co-operated.
    Now consider the fact that, "like all of [Michael's] creations, [Carson] is open to [Michael's] influence."

Since Michael is able to influence Carson, was it necessary to kill people in order to coerce his help?

My first thought was that Carson was just lying. I distrusted him the moment he was discovered.

The second thought was that maybe the "influence" could make you perform simple or maybe lightly complex actions, but not something as highly complex as genetic engineering.

The third thought is that they are just false, implanted memories.

Thoughts?

I got the impression that the influence was only basic things like: don’t kill micheal.

Comment

Perhaps it means he's more susceptible to Michael's usual methods of telepathic coercion, and mentally forcing him to work 24/7 would be too much of a strain for Michael.

Comment

I think it has more to do with motor skills than actual thought.

Comment

Its Clone Carson not Carson. They are different.

Comment

Might as well just call Carson2, "Carson", when Carson1 is not being discussed, until/unless he gets another name.

Comment

Originally posted by BubblingOverWithIdeas View Post
              Perhaps it means he's more susceptible to Michael's usual methods of telepathic coercion, and mentally forcing him to work 24/7 would be too much of a strain for Michael.
              Not to mention: for Carson... He's only human...

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

I'm betting the control was kind of like in Demolition man. The villian couldn't directly kill the bad boss, because of some sort of mental control.

Comment

Trying to mind control him while he was doing that tricky science stuff would probably have bad results, too.
                  sigpic

Comment

I think it was done so he wouldn't suspect he was under Mikey's control. If one day Mike came in and started controlling you, wouldn't you get suspicious? Makes sense to me.
                    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Michael has a whole bunch of minions he couldn't possibly control all of them telepathically at once, hence Kanan's lapse, so if he wanted Carson to work he needed to make sure he would do it even when he wasn't exerting any kind of mental control over him.

Also his other creations clearly have far more Wraith DNA than Carson does, so its possible that they are far more susceptible to his suggestion than Carson and he can only control the Doc while they are in close proximity - else why didn't he try and exert his influence while Carson was on Atlantis? He must have know that he had been rescued.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                        In the episode, Carson told the following to Rodney:

Now consider the fact that, "like all of [Michael's] creations, [Carson] is open to [Michael's] influence."

Since Michael is able to influence Carson, was it necessary to kill people in order to coerce his help?
                        He may not have had him under his influence at the time he was first created. He probably needed him to feel fear and anger and manipulate him by killing innocents before he could gain complete influence over him.

My first thought was that Carson was just lying. I distrusted him the moment he was discovered.
                        So you think he is an enemy planted on Atlantis by Michael. If so I quite like that thought.

The second thought was that maybe the "influence" could make you perform simple or maybe lightly complex actions, but not something as highly complex as genetic engineering.

The third thought is that they are just false, implanted memories.

Thoughts?
                        Hmm both are highly possible. Good thoughts all of them.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                          So you think he is an enemy planted on Atlantis by Michael. If so I quite like that thought.
                          I just don't see how they could ever fully trust a clone who is susceptible to Michael's "influence" (though they probably don't know that bit) and was held by Michael for 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                            I just don't see how they could ever fully trust a clone who is susceptible to Michael's "influence" (though they probably don't know that bit) and was held by Michael for 2 years.
                            And then there's people out there who're disappointed that they dared to not trust Carson immediately, I believe?

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Working...
                            X