Missing Rodney-Carson Moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Rodney-Carson Moment

Am I the only one that was let down over the lack of emotion from Rodney, toward Carson? I mean, he was the one who was most affected after the explosion, and I really expected more from him.

I ranted long and hard about it on my blog, but I'll try not to do that here. Haha. Still, I really wanted Rodney to step in when Carson was insisting on going off-world with them. I wanted him to tell him to go back to the infirmary, and give him a speech like::

I can’t lose you again! ...You don’t know what this has been like for me. I already had to say goodbye to you once. It was my fault you were killed, and I have had to deal with that every single day; do you know what that’s like? And now you're back, and what? You want me to watch you kill yourself and not do anything to stop it? I can’t say goodbye to you again, Carson; I won’t survive it.

And I was equally disappointed when Rodney didn't say anything meaningful when Carson was about the enter the stasis chambre. I mean, I know that the "this isn't goodbye" bit was relevant, but I wanted something more. Rodney just seemed kind of unaffected by it all, and it left much to be wanted.

Please tell me I'm not alone here!
    "If you're not changing the world, you're not speaking loud enough."
    ~Eiri S.

Wow, slash city.

With all due respect, if I see that, I'd be turned off of the episode so fast it's not even funny. Rodney is not that kind of person. He's not one to pour his heart out to ANYONE, at least not that intensely. The denial he showed at the end and the "best friends forever!!" moments when he told Carson that it didn't matter that he's a clone was good enough.

David's acting was clear: despite what he said at the stasis chamber, it was killing him inside to do this. There needs nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      Wow, slash city.

With all due respect, if I see that, I'd be turned off of the episode so fast it's not even funny. Rodney is not that kind of person. He's not one to pour his heart out to ANYONE, at least not that intensely. The denial he showed at the end and the "best friends forever!!" moments when he told Carson that it didn't matter that he's a clone was good enough.

David's acting was clear: despite what he said at the stasis chamber, it was killing him inside to do this. There needs nothing more.
      i agree he doesn' show his emotions the writiers cant just change the charatcher into somthing hes not
      sigpic
      [[[[[Dr Keller]][[For Ever]]]]]

Comment

I thought there were tons of Rodney/Carson moments - DH really acted his heart out here IMO. I know everyone sees different things though.
        - Life after Stargate -
        Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
        Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
          I thought there were tons of Rodney/Carson moments - DH really acted his heart out here IMO. I know everyone sees different things though.
          I agree. there's another thread that says rodney's silence at the end as carson was entering stasis didn't work either, but it did in my opinion. I think there was just enough emphasis on their relationship/friendship. besides that, you can pretty much guess what they would've said anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by naamiaiset View Post
            I agree. there's another thread that says rodney's silence at the end as carson was entering stasis didn't work either, but it did in my opinion. I think there was just enough emphasis on their relationship/friendship. besides that, you can pretty much guess what they would've said anyway.

I thought his silence and his expression were more powerful than any words would have been.

It was absolutely Rodney and it was heartbreaking. David Hewlett did a beautiful job.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              Wow, slash city.
              no kidding
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by smushybird View Post
                I thought his silence and his expression were more powerful than any words would have been.

It was absolutely Rodney and it was heartbreaking. David Hewlett did a beautiful job.
                well like the expression goes, "silence speaks louder than words". it did in this case.

Comment

Rodney was out of character in this ep so badly, I wanted to scream!

I don't understand your point? Did you want him to be even more out of character? Not to mention this thing is NOT Carson! Grrr.

Comment

Originally posted by Eiri View Post
                    I wanted him to tell him to go back to the infirmary, and give him a speech like::

I can’t lose you again! ...You don’t know what this has been like for me. I already had to say goodbye to you once. It was my fault you were killed, and I have had to deal with that every single day; do you know what that’s like? And now you're back, and what? You want me to watch you kill yourself and not do anything to stop it? I can’t say goodbye to you again, Carson; I won’t survive it.
                    I would pay good money to hear him say that. *laughs*

But, I agree with the previous posters - Rodney's (pained) silence was a great reaction. (Mr. Hewlett did act wonderfully)
                    ~ Proud thunker of Carson Beckett ~

Carson.........................Rodney .......................Teyla........................... John

Comment

Ooh, let me clear it up right now:: I am very non-slash. I wasn't speaking from a slash standpoint; clearly friendship.

And I do agree with all everyone is saying. I realize that Rodney is not one to show his emotions, and yes, David Hewlett did deliver the paining silence with amazing skill, but I think its more on a personal level than a "the show really needed..." level. I mean, can you honestly say that you wouldn't have at least liked him to saying something?

But, like I said, I do agree with keeping McKay in-character. I guess I just wanted something more for Carson; I thought he deserved a better goodbye, even if he's not the real, real Carson Beckett.
                      "If you're not changing the world, you're not speaking loud enough."
                      ~Eiri S.

Comment

I know you didn't mean it as slash...but speaking as a guy...well, us guys just don't talk to other guys like that.

And this isn't goodbye.

Comment

I agree that something so over-emotional would be outside Rodney's character and would have spoilt this for me, whereas I was deeply moved by both by David Hewlett and the splendid interaction between David Hewlett and Paul McGillian.

In addition, may I remind you that Carson is a Scot and such behaviour would be completely outside his culture. Just reading the suggested lines made me feel very conscious of being British and reserved - I felt an urge to take a step back from the computer!
                          Mircalla

'Never tremble with a newt'

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                            Rodney was out of character in this ep so badly, I wanted to scream!

I don't understand your point? Did you want him to be even more out of character? Not to mention this thing is NOT Carson! Grrr.
                            Ok don't call him a thing. I admit he is not Carson but its not nice to even call him a thing even if its a fictional character. The topic of this thread should have been called "Missing Rodney- Clone Carson Moment".

If you encountered a clone in real life would you call him a freak or thing? Clones are 100% human beings except they are not made naturally (i mean in the real world on how they do it).

Comment

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
                              Ok don't call him a thing.
                              So freak it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X