PDA

View Full Version : How did Michael copy Beckett's memories?

jds1982
March 2nd, 2008, 04:33 AM
How was it possible for Michael to copy Carson's memories? What did he do that with exactly? As far as I can recall when they were on the planet in Misbegotten there wasn't any really advanced technology that could do that just laying around, unless it's standard issue in medical kits or something, or Michael had a memory copy device hidden in an extremely uncomfortable place (and I don't mean the back of a Volkswagon). I suppose he might have been able to do it with some Wraith mind power we haven't seen before or since, but that seems unlikely.

Achaja
March 2nd, 2008, 04:47 AM
Yeah, it also gives possibility for TPTB to let somebody die and then- oops!? live like nothing had happened! For me it is a gross exaggeration.:confused:

Jackie
March 2nd, 2008, 04:59 AM
Hmm, plot hole perhaps....they didn't explain how he did it...I believe the statement was "...Somehow Micheal has managed too...blah, blah, blah."

Just like tptb couldn't explain how praying to the Bori made the enemy stronger they fail to explain, and should have in this case, how the clone got carson's memories, behaviors, ect.

GoSpikey
March 2nd, 2008, 05:04 AM
Hmm, plot hole perhaps....they didn't explain how he did it...I believe the statement was "...Somehow Micheal has managed too...blah, blah, blah."

Just like tptb couldn't explain how praying to the Bori made the enemy stronger they fail to explain, and should have in this case, how the clone got carson's memories, behaviors, ect.

Bori? :lol:

andromeda_dan
March 2nd, 2008, 06:40 AM
maybe the injection Michael was giving Carson serves more than just to keep him alive, but also to reach into some kind of genetic memory that Michael dug out from the DNA sample he stole from the real Carson.

artbrann
March 2nd, 2008, 06:59 AM
they used this .....

hey look at that it's a gay wraith couple ;)

Jackie
March 2nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
maybe the injection Michael was giving Carson serves more than just to keep him alive, but also to reach into some kind of genetic memory that Michael dug out from the DNA sample he stole from the real Carson.

Ooo, I like genetic memory. I'm using it in a story of my own now.

But, if we were to go by the genetic memory route than wouldn't clone carson only have Dr. Beckett's memories up till the point the blood was taken for cloning and not beyond that because the sample had already left the original body?

My guess would be...Micheal made some sort of implant into the real Beckett's body that would copy and download the memories, personality and such. Then if Micheal flew a cloaked craft within range of the city he could access the download from the sensor and probably even more information. Up till the last ep of season 3, the city was on the same planet. Micheal probably knew the location of the city for some time.

jds1982
March 2nd, 2008, 08:47 AM

But, if we were to go by the genetic memory route than wouldn't clone carson only have Dr. Beckett's memories up till the point the blood was taken for cloning and not beyond that because the sample had already left the original body?

He did only have memories from where he and the real Beckett diverged, and from after he was created.

My guess would be...Micheal made some sort of implant into the real Beckett's body that would copy and download the memories, personality and such. Then if Micheal flew a cloaked craft within range of the city he could access the download from the sensor and probably even more information. Up till the last ep of season 3, the city was on the same planet. Micheal probably knew the location of the city for some time.

You don't think they would have noticed some weird implant thingy? And that still wouldn't explain where he could get a memory copying implant from. Unless the Wraith just have those as standard issue kept somewhere on their body, he would have had to make one from scratch with stolen human tech, and maybe some Wraith tech, if the AE was stupid enough to keep it on the Misbegotten planet. I suppose the only thing that makes sense is some kind of genetic memory, which personally I don't buy. Carson was neither a Goa'uld nor a Harcesis. These are the only two things in Stargate we've ever seen display genetic memory.

Detox
March 2nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
For those of you asking how the Beckett clone got the original’s memories - right now, only Michael knows for sure an he aint talking. As for what the future holds for our beloved doctor - only time and season 5 will tell.

So we'll probably see an explanation in Season 5.

Rodneys Gun Tutor
March 2nd, 2008, 10:09 AM
The Asgard were able to clone people with all their memories (fragile balance). It was never explained how they did it in that episode so it appears the writers are staying true to form and doing the same for Kindred...

Heaven
March 2nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
The Asgard were able to clone people with all their memories (fragile balance). It was never explained how they did it in that episode so it appears the writers are staying true to form and doing the same for Kindred...
yes because the Asgard have the technology to download consciousness, so presumably they can make a copy as well.
but the wraith doing it without technology to access Carson's consciousness is ridiculous.
humans don't have genetic memory, we know that definitively.

The.Road.Not.Taken
March 2nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
yes because the Asgard have the technology to download consciousness, so presumably they can make a copy as well.
but the wraith doing it without technology to access Carson's consciousness is ridiculous.

tbh i dnt think even the prodcuer knnow how it happens jm in his blog said it would be beteewn micheal only and he is not ready to share his secrects or somthing like that

Rodneys Gun Tutor
March 2nd, 2008, 10:31 AM

You've got me there

Do we? There is a hell of alot we still don't know about the human body.

Heaven
March 2nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Do we? There is a hell of alot we still don't know about the human body.
yes, we do actually. :)

The Prophet
March 2nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
When the Original Beckett died, his soul was transferred to the empty-cloned Body ;) :P

Platschu
March 2nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
When the Original Beckett died, his soul was transferred to the empty-cloned Body ;) :P
LOL. :lol:

I think the Wraith technology from "Phantoms" could save Beckett's personality, which was stored. ;)

Lord batchi ball
March 2nd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Did they capture a jumper along with Carson too? If they did maybe they used somthing out of that.

And I think that the human body keeps a detailed record of all the proteins that were ever made and then where they were moved to (pretty sure it has to do the mRNA transfer to the mitrocondria). Again I think thats the case. And if it is then Micheal might have been able to create a copy of Carsons brain, since it to is made out of protein.

Heaven
March 2nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
I just thought of another plot hole with Carson's memory.
he doesn't know Weir was killed
and then Rodney tells him she was killed by the replicators
the problem is, he shouldn't know about the replicators.

And I think that the human body keeps a detailed record of all the proteins that were ever made and then where they were moved to (pretty sure it has to do the mRNA transfer to the mitrocondria).
that's wrong.

JohnRico
March 2nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Maybe Michael did it the way Steve Urkel made his clone ;)

Fenrir Foxz
March 2nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Well here is my theory on how the Carson clone has all the original Carson's memories and thought patterns...

*I originally posted this in 'The PRO Season 4 Thread'*

We don't know too much about a Wraith's psychic abilities but the possibility hit me that Micheal may have copied Beckett's thought patterns and memories into his own mind, I would believe a Wraith *especially one such as Micheal (not a Drone warrior type)* has the capacity to store such an amount of information... He wouldn't have had to store Carson's copied mind for long either, just long enough to create a body to transfer the conscience to...

The only real question to this would be 'Can a Wraith do that?'

...I'm open to the possibility :cool:

andromeda_dan
March 2nd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Wraith mind meld..thats it!!..

SoulReaver
March 2nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
C:> copy C:\Documents and Settings\c_beckett\memories\*.*

Jumper_One
March 2nd, 2008, 09:27 PM

:lol:

Fenrir Foxz
March 2nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Wraith mind meld..thats it!!..

:eek:OMG!!! Micheal is part Vulcan :P

:lol:
So the same way Thor used to do it then? :P

jds1982
March 3rd, 2008, 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by Joe M
For those of you asking how the Beckett clone got the original’s memories - right now, only Michael knows for sure an he aint talking. As for what the future holds for our beloved doctor - only time and season 5 will tell.

So in other words, he has no idea.

Actionhank
March 3rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
LOL - it seems you forgot to type "run" afterwards. ^^

Anyways I think it's very hard to do new, unexpected, intelligent und acceptable things to the show. Some things like ascension or cloning have been done to death (and back again). Yup, and now they are pulling a "frozen Jack". ^^

YutheGreat
March 3rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
This is a mistake. If Michael could do this to anyone we could see Hybrid team vs the original fighting each other head to head.

or

Clone Ronon being hunted by Michael for sport.
Clone Shepard and Clone Mckay being tortured for info.
A room full of clone Teyla's for Michael

Mitchell82
March 3rd, 2008, 04:32 PM

Not necessarily. If his Carson was alive for 2 years that drug could have been used to alow that Beckett to connect with the real one subconsciously. And as far as I know clone Beckett didn't know anything after he was "taken". I'd have to check but if he did know more Michael could have said a few things.

Shan Bruce Lee
March 4th, 2008, 12:06 AM
He did it by copying the imprints on his brain tissue... how he got that is something different :) I haven't figured that out yet.

morjana
March 4th, 2008, 12:24 AM
How was it possible for Michael to copy Carson's memories? What did he do that with exactly? As far as I can recall when they were on the planet in Misbegotten there wasn't any really advanced technology that could do that just laying around, unless it's standard issue in medical kits or something, or Michael had a memory copy device hidden in an extremely uncomfortable place (and I don't mean the back of a Volkswagon). I suppose he might have been able to do it with some Wraith mind power we haven't seen before or since, but that seems unlikely.

Two words: Wraith Mind Meld.

Oh, wait, that's three words.

It's not as well known as the Vulcan Mind Meld, and it's long term effects are still being studied.

$2.95 per memory or you can sign up for a bundle plan from Verizon.

Morjana

Nitegate
March 4th, 2008, 01:40 AM

that's wrong.

yes he should know about the replicators if he was with Michael for 2 years or so, i'm sure they had a run in with them.

Shan Bruce Lee
March 4th, 2008, 05:47 AM
yes he should know about the replicators if he was with Michael for 2 years or so, i'm sure they had a run in with them.

yeah, the Replicators were just about everywhere by the time they destroyed them in BAMSR

Integrabyte
March 4th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Two words: Wraith Mind Meld.

Oh, wait, that's three words.

It's not as well known as the Vulcan Mind Meld, and it's long term effects are still being studied.

$2.95 per memory or you can sign up for a bundle plan from Verizon.

Morjana

Heee heee ;). Hurry, while the stock still lasts :D

The_Carpenter
March 4th, 2008, 05:57 AM

that's wrong.

Well presumably he would of read SG-1 mission logs so would know what they are, and we can assume that Carson asked What are Repicators doing in Pegasus at which point Rodney explains off screen

Because lets face it why waste episode time watching McKay explain what we all know to a confused Carson when it doesn't advance the plot.

Integrabyte
March 4th, 2008, 06:01 AM

that's wrong.

In my opinion he was to shocked to realise what Rodney said.

1. He just found out they were not looking for him. He felt heartbroken.
2. He just found out there was another Carson on Atlantis.
3. He just found out that this other Carson died.
4. He just found out that he had a memorial service/funeral.
5. He just found out that his mom knows he is dead.

A bit hard to digest all that. Then Rodney gives him an uppercut with Weir. He did not realise on the spot what killed Weir. He was traumatised that Weir was dead.

Mitchell82
March 4th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Well presumably he would of read SG-1 mission logs so would know what they are, and we can assume that Carson asked What are Repicators doing in Pegasus at which point Rodney explains off screen
Probably it could have been a scene cut due to time. Or Michael could have told him about them to try and find a way to destroy them. It's something that should have been explained a bit but not a plot hole just a minor oversight.

Because lets face it why waste episode time watching McKay explain what we all know to a confused Carson when it doesn't advance the plot.
:jack_new_anime05::ronananime17::ronananime17:

pbellosom
March 4th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Well here is my theory on how the Carson clone has all the original Carson's memories and thought patterns...

*I originally posted this in 'The PRO Season 4 Thread'*

We don't know too much about a Wraith's psychic abilities but the possibility hit me that Micheal may have copied Beckett's thought patterns and memories into his own mind, I would believe a Wraith *especially one such as Micheal (not a Drone warrior type)* has the capacity to store such an amount of information... He wouldn't have had to store Carson's copied mind for long either, just long enough to create a body to transfer the conscience to...

The only real question to this would be 'Can a Wraith do that?'

...I'm open to the possibility :cool:

I'll buy that until we get an official explanation

expendable_crewman
March 5th, 2008, 11:15 PM

I'd love for some writer to exlain it.

Let's see, they let clone Carson give medical treatment. And the patient survived. So not just some memories but everything up to the ep Misbegotten and then some, like orginal Carson's memories, education, skills, and knowledge was compressed into a single-page memo and Michael made a copy and let the clone read it.

And if I'm going to buy that, I think I want to know why other Wraith haven't invested time in building this data-compression-transfer thingee or conscoiusness-downloading tech, whatever we're supposed to think it is, because look at how many Milky Way humans the Wraith have eaten throughout the show and all they could get before Allies was the name of the expedition's planet.

Who would have guessed that all along they should have been funding the research efforts of their eager scientist Wraith, and then they could have had access codes, passwords, the name of their prisoner's favorite childhood pet.

Let Michael have Beckett. There are actually people on Atlantis who know how to repair and improve Wraith technology, people who understand astrophysics, who can help get that intergalactic hyperdrive tech going. Hey, instead of making a deal with the expedition to share knowledge, the Wraith known as Todd, if he'd been up on the latest and greatest tech, could have settled for a vial of McKay's blood-- and there you go. A walking, talking wealth of knowledge, all Rodney's advanced degrees, everything you always wanted to know about Earth, Stargate command, plus the dish on his love interests and what he likes to eat for a snack.