PDA

View Full Version : I think I missed something.

SaberBlade
March 1st, 2008, 07:23 PM
I seem to remember something about JM saying that the real Carson would be returning. No clones, no copies, no dreams or time travel, but Carson still turned out to be a clone.

So what did I miss? Wasn't Carson supposed to be Carson and not some duplicate?

Myles
March 1st, 2008, 07:31 PM
I seem to remember something about JM saying that the real Carson would be returning. No clones, no copies, no dreams or time travel, but Carson still turned out to be a clone.

So what did I miss? Wasn't Carson supposed to be Carson and not some duplicate?

He said it would be Carson in the flesh, but not whether it would be cloned flesh or not.

SaberBlade
March 1st, 2008, 09:02 PM
Damn. I was pretty sure it was said that it would be the real carson and was specific to saying that it couldn't be a copy.

Briangate78
March 1st, 2008, 09:07 PM
Damn. I was pretty sure it was said that it would be the real carson and was specific to saying that it couldn't be a copy.

Gateword misquoted Joe M an honest mistake if you will. Joe had to make a big deal about it, and I tell ya it seems spoilers are truly hurting the quality of this show. It really sucks. Everyone from the producers to the network is to blame.

I think this is why this amazing episode is not getting the postive feedback it should. It really is unfortunate

Buck32
March 1st, 2008, 11:30 PM
Gateword misquoted Joe M an honest mistake if you will. Joe had to make a big deal about it, and I tell ya it seems spoilers are truly hurting the quality of this show. It really sucks. Everyone from the producers to the network is to blame.

I think this is why this amazing episode is not getting the postive feedback it should. It really is unfortunate

That could be it, or it could be that it wasn't an amazing episode!!! i really feel that TPTB had a chance to do something really creative here ( ie make the Carson they rescued the real one and the one who died in sunday the clone), but instead they took the easy way out and just made him a clone.

Don't get me wrong, i'm a carson fan, and i love that he'll be back next year in whatever capacity, but i really thought they would take a chance and be inventive with their storytelling until Dr Boring (Keller) said "he's definately a clone". or words to that effect, now i'm just looking forward to the end of season 4 and what i hope is boring formulaic writing.

*Oda*
March 2nd, 2008, 02:39 AM

:indeed:
I completely agree with you. Spoilers really ruin the dramatic effect on the episodes in my opinion. I try to avoid them as much as possible, but it's hard. And I'm not the only one trying to do that but failing miserably. :o
It jsut sucks if you know everything in advance. How in the world could that turn out to be a great episode? :rolleyes:
Except for Kindred I, II where I knew Carson would be back and it was a good episode for me. But I can only imagine what a great episode it would have been (for me), if I hadn't known. :)

And I really was angry yesterday for this miss-quotation of JM about Carson not being a clone. I was really looking forward to see the real Beckett and I was therefore really disappointed. :(

The.Road.Not.Taken
March 2nd, 2008, 03:29 AM
:indeed:
I completely agree with you. Spoilers really ruin the dramatic effect on the episodes in my opinion. I try to avoid them as much as possible, but it's hard. And I'm not the only one trying to do that but failing miserably. :o
It jsut sucks if you know everything in advance. How in the world could that turn out to be a great episode? :rolleyes:
Except for Kindred I, II where I knew Carson would be back and it was a good episode for me. But I can only imagine what a great episode it would have been (for me), if I hadn't known. :)

And I really was angry yesterday for this miss-quotation of JM about Carson not being a clone. I was really looking forward to see the real Beckett and I was therefore really disappointed. :(

he is the beckett what makes a person a person is there memorys he truly believed he was the beckett so its not really a bad thing

KindlyKeller
March 2nd, 2008, 03:35 AM
That could be it, or it could be that it wasn't an amazing episode!!! i really feel that TPTB had a chance to do something really creative here ( ie make the Carson they rescued the real one and the one who died in sunday the clone), but instead they took the easy way out and just made him a clone..

That would have been incredibly eye roll-worthy and lame, in my opinion. It would have been a cheap reset, whereas this one has interesting trust dynamics to play with, plus it would've been incredibly unrealistic for Michael to have managed to clone Carson in like the 20 minutes he had him captive in "Misbegotten."

pilgrim soul
March 2nd, 2008, 04:11 AM
That would have been incredibly eye roll-worthy and lame, in my opinion. It would have been a cheap reset, whereas this one has interesting trust dynamics to play with, plus it would've been incredibly unrealistic for Michael to have managed to clone Carson in like the 20 minutes he had him captive in "Misbegotten."

I totally agree having the Carson who died in Sunday be the clone would have taken away from that episode - and as you point out when exactly would Michael have had the time to clone him?

Briangate78
March 2nd, 2008, 09:00 AM
Yeah Spoilers truly ruin the show especially when they are misquoted. :S

Still "The Kindred" prevailed, imo.

airelle
March 2nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
And maybe just maybe, the Asgard could help out Carson, they fixed the bad clone(young) of Oneill on SG1...:sam:

Paddy17
March 3rd, 2008, 03:15 AM
The Asgard are dead... :(

jasminaGo
March 3rd, 2008, 05:16 AM
The Asgard are dead... :(

They are, but Earth has all of their knowledge, so they can find something to help Carson.

Jackie
March 3rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
Killing Carson and Thor...just a 2 of many mistakes.

Lets count booboo deaths:

1. Janet Fraiser
2. Jacob Carter
3. Thor and the Asgrad
4. Carson Beckett
5. Peter Gronin
6. Martouf
7. Sha'ri
8. All the good Goa'uld...leaving us with a bag of ba'als.

MIA who are dead to JM:

Dr. Weir
Lt. Ford
Oma

Those who should be killed off and never come back:

Larrin
Pete Shanahan
Lucius
Replicator Wier
Clones...except the asgard
Adria and the Bori.
Elis.
Another new ship to blow up or use for an escape route.

Stories that should have been followed up:
The Nox
The Furlings
Races that we only saw once.

Officer Novak (hiccups)
Hermoid

The Deadelus
Colonel Caldwell

Mitchell82
March 3rd, 2008, 05:28 PM
That could be it, or it could be that it wasn't an amazing episode!!! i really feel that TPTB had a chance to do something really creative here ( ie make the Carson they rescued the real one and the one who died in sunday the clone), but instead they took the easy way out and just made him a clone.
Believe me I wanted that to be the case but after watching the ep and thinking about it there was no way to do that and have it make sense.

atfan
March 3rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Believe me I wanted that to be the case but after watching the ep and thinking about it there was no way to do that and have it make sense.

I* agree it wouldn't have made sense. I like the fact that Carson the clone is in need of help and it makes for a good storyline. I almost thought that they were going to send him back to Michael to save his life but the stasis thing was cool unfortunately they stole it from SG-1 Lost City Part 2 but you can't have everything original I guess.

Ugly Pig
March 3rd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Killing Carson and Thor...just a 2 of many mistakes.

Lets count booboo deaths:

1. Janet Fraiser
2. Jacob Carter
3. Thor and the Asgrad
4. Carson Beckett
5. Peter Gronin
6. Martouf
7. Sha'ri
8. All the good Goa'uld...leaving us with a bag of ba'als.

So basically, they never should have killed anyone off? ;)

PG15
March 3rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
No no no! Don't you understand, that by this:

Those who should be killed off and never come back:

Larrin
Pete Shanahan
Lucius
Replicator Wier
Clones...except the asgard
Adria and the Bori.
Elis.
Another new ship to blow up or use for an escape route.

...It means that those who should die are only people that you dislike?! Gah! It's so obvious!

Oh...who's this "you", you ask? Um...let me get back to you on that...

Mitchell82
March 4th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I* agree it wouldn't have made sense. I like the fact that Carson the clone is in need of help and it makes for a good storyline. I almost thought that they were going to send him back to Michael to save his life but the stasis thing was cool unfortunately they stole it from SG-1 Lost City Part 2 but you can't have everything original I guess.

Agreed. I didn't think about the connection to Lost City till you just pointed that out but I quite liked that surprise.

Reiko
March 4th, 2008, 07:33 PM

He often has trouble making up his mind... ;)

Gateword misquoted Joe M an honest mistake if you will. Joe had to make a big deal about it, and I tell ya it seems spoilers are truly hurting the quality of this show.

Mallozzi was asked for attention and he knew it and he got it :P It's amusing watching himself fall over contradictions, saying don't read spoilers yet drops them left and right. When it comes to spoilers he's as bad as Skiffy :P

ShadowMaat
March 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Gods almighty, people, can we stop resting blame solely on Gateworld's shoulders? I never saw the cursed article and I STILL thought Joe said something to the effect of Carson not returning as a clone. Joe is tricky with words. Gateworld may have misquoted him, yes, but they aren't the only ones who misunderstood him and it's hardly the first time folks have been confused or "tricked" by things he's said.

PG15
March 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM
It's amusing watching himself fall over contradictions, saying don't read spoilers yet drops them left and right. When it comes to spoilers he's as bad as Skiffy :P

Having trouble telling the difference between tiny, vague hints and page-long synopsis I see. :p

AutumnDream
March 4th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I too had the general impression that the exact same Carson would be returning. I read JM's blog on occasion and I most likely picked it up there. I parse words fairly carefully so I'm not sure if I could have mistook his meaning. Maybe I did get the idea from the general populace at Gateworld after all. ~_~

Reiko
March 5th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Having trouble telling the difference between tiny, vague hints and page-long synopsis I see. :p

Ah, sounds just like me ;)

Mitchell82
March 5th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Gods almighty, people, can we stop resting blame solely on Gateworld's shoulders? I never saw the cursed article and I STILL thought Joe said something to the effect of Carson not returning as a clone. Joe is tricky with words. Gateworld may have misquoted him, yes, but they aren't the only ones who misunderstood him and it's hardly the first time folks have been confused or "tricked" by things he's said.

Regardless this debate is pointless.

ShadowMaat
March 5th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Regardless this debate is pointless.

And yet it continues, regardless of what you think.